The online racing simulator
I can make it miss gear shifts if I specifically try to shift as fast as I can, but I haven't had a single issue with it in normal use. I don't understand how you can actually need to down/upshift so quickly that the double-shift protection ignores it. I can't pretend any knowledge of real-life sequential shift mechanisms and how fast they allow a driver to shift gears, but it does *feel* like a reasonable limitation to me.

This wasn't implemented as a "limitation" however, if I remember correctly. I remember posts a while back about some users' DFP paddles unintentionally triggering two shifts with one pull?

Either way, I haven't personally had any problem with it.

EDIT: Oh, just noticed I hadn't read the last part of this page and it looks like you figured out the issue with the shifts.
Quote from Hallen :I was one of the people who requested this feature.

But...
On fast down shifts in the FV8, it will skip some of my downshifts now. This is definitely new for U23, I have not tried 25 yet. I find it hard to beleive I am down shifting faster than 50ms. Is there any way to fine tune this because it should be a good feature.

Thanks again for all your work

Well, I may have spoken too soon. I went back to U23, and I am still having the problem. When I try to downshift too quickly, some shifts get missed. I did not have this problem before U25, but it looks like now it might be my controller (DFP) and not U25 that is causing it.

(tests for a minute) Nope, not my controller. I just tried it with my keyboard using the S key to downshift. I go at it quickly. I hit the key 3 times in succession. Sometimes I get three downshifts. But most of the time, I only get two. I am trying to make sure my finger completely clears the top of the key before pressing down again. Maybe it is some strange USB key repeat setting or something
Blimey, I don't know whats happened with the lastest test patches, LFS used to be a very stable program, its now falling over all over the place, I get funny red messages in the top left hand screen, sound is popping and cracking all over the place.

Might have to roll back to an earlier version

Dan,
Don't know if this has been reported, but before I went to U25, when I was using U23, and while on track, some of the button clicks were echoed. This is gone now in U25, but I still notice another wierd issue with sound.

I started up qualifying online @ KY3 with the FO8. I was just rolling slowly around walking speed and then I noticed the wind noise would kick up as if the track-wind settings were on high/hurricane or something. But this was really noticeable at just a few miles per hour, and the wind was at high gusts when just coasting. I've never noticed this until now, since all these sound changes have been worked on. So I definitely think this could be related.

I think my sound quality and everything else is working a lot better now (especially against walls), so this is better... however I still do hear a tiny bit of crackling when alongside a wall on Kyoto with the echo volume on full. This is how it has always sounded for me since S2 came out (last U test patch crackling was a bad case), so at least it is back to the way it used to be

But like Danowat says, he is getting red messages, and just as I alt+tabbed back into LFS, I got this:

DI : FFDevice - DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS

I can handle the red messages, no problem.

What i can't handle is the falling over of LFS, the looping / stuttering sound and awful lag that comes with it.

I reckon this directsound thing doesnt like my creative soundcard.

Dan,
Quote from Tweaker :But like Danowat says, he is getting red messages, and just as I alt+tabbed back into LFS, I got this:

DI : FFDevice - DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS

I thought atleast someone like you would actually read the thread
Quote from danowat :I can handle the red messages, no problem.

What i can't handle is the falling over of LFS, the looping / stuttering sound and awful lag that comes with it.

I reckon this directsound thing doesnt like my creative soundcard.

Dan,

Grandmother -suck-eggs, but have you got Creative's latest drivers? Latest are 9th October. Just a thought.
Probably not, I'll check..............

Dan,
Quote from AndroidXP :I thought atleast someone like you would actually read the thread

Yeah, well it would help if the first post could post what shouldn't be reported anymore, and/or "known issues".... ahem. But Scawen marked it as (maybe) fixed under the post about U25, so why not say so

At least the funky wind rolling at really low speed is something to report.

I have found something else too. When driving and crashing or actively playing multiple sounds at once (eg car, scrub, crash, grass, etc), and hitting Shift+S will get you to the garage screen, but the sequence of sounds loop really loud all of a sudden, about 3 or 4 times. Almost as if LFS is frozen for a bit. Kinda quirky.

About the downshift speed cap. After doing several laps, I only encountered some missed downshifts about once or twice. I clearly felt my fingers doing three taps, but only two went through. And I had to shift down again as it had me a bit confused. If you are to shift with the paddle or whatever button you have JUST at the point where it is off & on, then it is possible to do some very rapid shifts. It is more-so a hardware issue, since I've been able to do this on a lot of the wheels I've owned. And even more-so Scawen's new feature is to help prevent multiple/accidental downshifts while racing. Though, if some of us are faster than it, then there really is no benefit, since we will miss shifting either way.
Quote from rc10racer :...and windows pop a message with lfs has a had an error blah blah the normal crap to do with the message and it took some doing to get lfs to shutdown, but i tryed everything to reproduce the bug with no effect

Hmm. That message is not "crap". It's good news when you actually get a crash window, because I can quite often use it to find the bug. If you click the blue text for more info, Windows gives you a crash address, which I can often use to see exactly which line of code LFS crashed on.

Please remember, everyone, if Windows gives you a crash report, click for the crash address and post it here.
Thanks again for the reports.

I do not need any more reports about these two things, which I have already acknowledged :

1) Red message DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS when restoring a minimised or alt+tabbed window
2) Controller downshift debouncing too sensitive (implemented a slightly wrong way)
Sorry, I am not english, and I havent read or understand, why has change sound BLOCKS to sound retard again. How can we tune this?
TRM : We are now using DirectSound, and it uses a "GetCurrentPosition" something like the old system, so "Sound Lag" makes sense again.

You can either leave it at 0.1, or you can reduce it, but don't reduce it too much or you will have more skipping in sounds, whenever you have a slow frame (like someone left the pits or a graphical glitch, whatever). If you have too much skipping in sounds, you can increase it. Only, the more you increase it, the more delay there will be between making a sound, and hearing that sound.
Maybe it has something to do with the calibration of my wheel, BUT I still post it here:

when I alt+tab my wheel gets uncalibrated (as in: 5 degrees to left is full left and a bit back is full right, but when I steer to full left and then full right it's ok)
So, if I touch the windows button, I'm in trouble... (alt+tab back, and a uncalibrated wheel+pedals in a race...)
Quote from Scawen :TRM : We are now using DirectSound, and it uses a "GetCurrentPosition" something like the old system, so "Sound Lag" makes sense again.

You can either leave it at 0.1, or you can reduce it, but don't reduce it too much or you will have more skipping in sounds, whenever you have a slow frame (like someone left the pits or a graphical glitch, whatever). If you have too much skipping in sounds, you can increase it. Only, the more you increase it, the more delay there will be between making a sound, and hearing that sound.

That is clear, thx!
But, in U22 I can see "sound blocks", and in U25 "Sound retard" in the same place "options/other", this was my question. Sound retard is at 0,10 seg by default, sound block was 2 by default.
Thanks Scawen for your answer!! I seem to have driven a older Dallara, which had to be gear switched the H- type way.

But taking a look at the Formel Renault Homepage, and the European F2000 leagues, they all seem to be changing gears the sequentiell way. So it is correct how it is in LFS
Quote from BlakjeKaas :Maybe it has something to do with the calibration of my wheel, BUT I still post it here:

when I alt+tab my wheel gets uncalibrated (as in: 5 degrees to left is full left and a bit back is full right, but when I steer to full left and then full right it's ok)
So, if I touch the windows button, I'm in trouble... (alt+tab back, and a uncalibrated wheel+pedals in a race...)

You need to switch on "calibration lock" in the Axes section of the Options... Controls screen.
Quote from TRM.13 :That is clear, thx!
But, in U22 I can see "sound blocks", and in U25 "Sound retard" in the same place "options/other", this was my question. Sound retard is at 0,10 seg by default, sound block was 2 by default.

There have been 3 totally different sound systems.

1) U : waveOut looping buffer using waveOutGetPosition <- setting "Sound lag"
2) U22 : waveOut using callback on sound blocks <- setting "Sound blocks"
3) U25 : DirectSound looping buffer using GetCurrentPosition <-- setting "Sound lag"

Sound blocks was for a totally different sound system, which did not have "Sound lag" in the same way. It used blocks of sound and that was the reason for Sound blocks (in the intermediate system).

The new system is more like the old system. But different...
-
(BurnOut69) DELETED by BurnOut69 : Remembered the auto-patcher...
Quote from Scawen :The new system is more like the old system. But different...

Only a programmer could relate to that

Haven't encountered any crashing/stuttering on my system... yet
Sound is much improved with U25. Thanks!
With U25 i can't host servers( non dedicated) , i don't see all servers in server list and i can't leave online game I have to turn LFS off
This is the sound that I really like: U2

(just kidding )
No more message "Force strength 5, 10, 15 etc..." when i press keys "<" and ">" in game (on the track).
Quote from nesrulz :No more message "Force strength 5, 10, 15 etc..." when i press keys "<" and ">" in game (on the track).

Do you have frame rate display switched off?
The force (< >) and zoom (5 6) are now displayed for a moment, in place of the frame rate display.
Quote :Gearshift debounced (can't shift twice within 50 ms)

Thanks for this!

Sound seems to work great now. Can't say I've tested much not having a wheel at the moment though.
Quote from Scawen :Do you have frame rate display switched off?
The force (< >) and zoom (5 6) are now displayed for a moment, in place of the frame rate display.

Hm...yeah, right.

THX!

btw, is this (":") a "bug"?

RGDS
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG