The online racing simulator
tnx, i'll try that as well.
If it works I'll install the patch next time in a different copy of LfS
when i press the right paddle on the dfp once... it still shifts up twice sometimes.
I new so please forgive me if this is dumb.

I've recently installed (about 2 weeks ago) S2 onto my computer after signing-up etc.

Do I still need to download this patch, if so, how?

Any help would be great
You do not need to download this patch. This patch is an optional test patch. Expect test patches to not work perfectly, even well. If you choose to download a test patch you should do so only if you acknowledge that it may not work at all.

The idea of test patches is to test whether features and other content in the patch work, before releasing them to everyone. If you wish to use test patches and provide feedback (hence supporting the community), feel free to do so, but may I suggest you use a separate installation of LFS for test patches.

To download a test patch, click the appropriate download link (typically in the first post of the thread. Exceptions apply) to download the patch, and extract it to your LFS directory and accept any overwrite prompts.

The minimum version you need to play LFS (online) is the one you see as the current version at http://www.liveforspeed.net/
Thanks

I've been playing online fine without problems, so far.

If I decide to install this patch how do I create a seperate installation. Do I simply copy every folder and save them somewhere else?
Yes, you can copy your existing LFS folder. The advantage with this is that the new LFS installation will be unlocked (if old one was, that is), and you don't need to unlock it again, unlike if you choose to extract a fresh copy of LFS to another folder.
Good, but I think I did it the long way by unzipping a new LFS demo then going through the folders and copying those that were different until I got the unlocked S2 version :smash3d:

One last question, I'm about to download the patch to my new 'copy'. Do I save it into 'docs', 'data' or other folder.

I appreciate your help
just put it in the LFS folder (where the LFS.exe is) and right hand click on it, extract here, and make sure it overrights everything
message on extraction says 'File header is damaged, abort' then it gives me the option of yes or no.

Guess I'll have to download the patch again?
Hmm, I looks like it. Try another mirror.
EDIT EDIT: IGNORE ME IT'S FIXED, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS

Tried another twice.

I can get as far as downloading the patch to a folder, right clicking on unzipped patch then 'extracting here' (as it says in the Readme).

Then both times I get an error:

Could not open file: data\skins\HEL_DEFAULT.jpg

Am I doing something wrong.

Sorry not sure what a 'mirror' is.

EDIT: a seperate readme file then pops up, it reads:

LFS : 0.5U25
timer resolution 1 ms
read config
get command line
Could not open file : data\skins\HEL_DEFAULT.jpg
Quote from mouse-user321 :I can get as far as downloading the patch to a folder, right clicking on unzipped patch then 'extracting here' (as it says in the Readme).

Then both times I get an error:

Not "A" folder. It must be your LFS folder, not just any folder. Then extract to "here".

Another way to say it is : "You must extract the patch to your LFS folder".
just for the record: my LfS is working fine again. Not sure what happened. Maybe a reboot would have been enough, but I usually dont reboot if I dont have to.
Could it be that the stutter and drop in frame rate can be solved by a reboot?
Maybe ill try tomorrow to copy my LfS folder, and apply the patch to the copy, and then reboot...
Quote from the_angry_angel :Delete the LFS entry in the Windows firewall and then reopen LFS and tell Windows to unblock it again. You should see it now works.

So i took your advice and did just that. Still no go. Then i decided to get rid of entry and turn off windows Firewall. And still cant connect to master Server.

Anymore suggestions, im going mad illepall
Quote from 180sx :So i took your advice and did just that. Still no go. Then i decided to get rid of entry and turn off windows Firewall. And still cant connect to master Server.

Anymore suggestions, im going mad illepall

It sounds like it could down to your internet provider that could be blocking some ports to stop fileshareing or p2p software programs doing illegal downloads1
Quote from riffey4 :Could it be that the stutter and drop in frame rate can be solved by a reboot?

Yes. In fact that is usually the first thing to try if you have glitching or speed issues with any program. All versions of Windows get gradually corrupted when they stay on a long time. It has been written by so many programmers over such a long time, and is so over complicated, it's not a truly stable operating system. I don't blame Microsoft for that entirely, it's hard to make such a large software product and maintain backwards compatibilty. I guess they spend longer these days in Beta stages, looking for bugs, because it used to be more buggy. This is much improved in XP compared with 98/ME etc, but no way is it perfect. There is memory fragmentation due to being used by several processes. Drivers for hardware devices can get put in strange states. It's such a complicated machine, anything can happen, and frequently does. The only way to get your computer into a slightly reproducable state, is to reboot it.

Why not switch off at night, and turn it on when you get up in the morning, so it starts fresh every morning?
What does "Gearshift debounce" translation string stand for? I understand the 1st word, get some idea of the second ("debounce" is absent in the vocabulary), but all together it is obscure.

[edit] Ah, maybe it is the gearshift sound volume? [edit2] No.
Quote from detail :What does "Gearshift debounce" translation string stand for? I understand the 1st word, get some idea of the second ("debounce" is absent in the vocabulary), but all together it is obscure.

[edit] Ah, maybe it is the gearshift sound volume?

There's a similar term used in electronics. If the idea is the same then:
The shift doesn't go clean so the system stops the shifting action instead of insisting on shifting gear when it shouldn't (bouncing) so it essentially "debounces" the action.
Yes, when you turn on a switch, it "bounces" as it switches on.

So it goes, on, off, on, off, then stays on.

So as xaotic says, in many electronic applications, you must "debounce" your switch (with a capacitor and a resistor, for example).

Some wheels (sometimes old wheels) also have this problem, and people get two gearshifts. In LFS now, the gearshift switch is debounced by not allowing more than one shift in a given time period.
TEST Patch U26
Fixed and improved quite a lot of bugs and annoying things!

Changes in TEST PATCH U26 :

Misc :

Included new translation : SWEDISH (SVENSKA)
Improved wind volume at low and high speeds
Close window button (X) causes a fast safe exit
ALT+F4 results in a fast safe exit (misc option)
Option : minimum time between gearshifts (debounce)
Added UP and DOWN buttons to select options screen
Real mirrors are now invisible if set to virtual
Improved position of road car internal mirrors

2D Display :

Option to show small map on left or right of screen
Central text now visible in SHIFT+F mode (option)
Temporary messages now visible even if fps is off
Moved ESCAPE menu to the right to avoid messages

Fixes :

FIX : Gearshift debounce was programmed the wrong way
FIX : Message DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS on restoring window
FIX : Applause remained in buffer after race restart
FIX : LOD values were rounding to one decimal place
FIX : SHIFT+F did not hide FPS in recent patches
FIX : Small map was too light in open roof cars
FIX : Small clicks audible a few times per lap

NOTE : Translatable text updated

DOWNLOAD :

Warning : If you have edited any scripts, don't overwrite them! Back up your script folder before install!

TEST PATCH U26 :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_U26_TEST.zip

DEDICATED HOST U26 (for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_U26.zip
IMHO:
the ESCAPE menu was better when it was at the left. I didnt find it really a big problem if it overlayed the text...just press ESC again and you can read it. And also now, if you go to options (ingame), all the buttons are still on the left side - and IMHO you use that options screen more often than just the ESCAPE menu. So i`d prefer if all the buttons stayed on left side
[/IMHO]
is that your opinion, don?
I'd say it should be similar everywhere - now you will go to options, then see "yay, it's on the left side", and go race, press esc, and now... "Wow, why did it come here?"
Quote from Don :I didnt find it really a big problem if it overlayed the text...just press ESC again and you can read it.

I agree it does look better on the left. But the problem is when you are online and everyone is talking, you press ESC and then you are kind of stuck, you don't know where the OPTIONS or SPECTATE or PITS buttons are, you just have to guess because they are covered in messages.

Maybe I should just make all messages vanish, in the ESCAPE menu?
Quote from Scawen :Improved position of road car internal mirrors

Hmm, the internal mirror in the XRG appears to be right smack in the middle of the windshield (at 75 degrees FOV) and with 0 vertical offset.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG