The online racing simulator
Muted on sounds on lost focus? didnt know it did that - to me that's VERY useful!

No errors at all going from U20>U23, didn't need to unlock, although i did go U20>U21>U20>U23
Dont know if this is a bug or intentional.

left picture is what the original dashboard view looks like.

The dashboard changes when selecting the player option and only in this menu (right picture)
Attached images
menu2.JPG
menu.JPG
happened to me in U20 to
Quote from abz1 :Dont know if this is a bug or intentional.

left picture is what the original dashboard view looks like.

The dashboard changes when selecting the player option and only in this menu (right picture)

That's not a bug. The car has always vanished in that options screen so you can see the driver.
About the sound disappearing when you go to different replay speeds :

That is intentional. The sound is now generated at 100 Hz, in fact it generates a new block of 441 samples, after every physics update. It's not possible to do this at different replay speeds. It would need a varying buffer size and a lot of programming to get around this.

About the sound disappearing when the window loses focus :

I didn't program that, it is just how DirectSound behaves, so I can't do anything about it, apparently. I don't think it's very bad so I'm not worried about it.

About the FFDevice error :

That was always there. It's just that I am displaying a message now, when it happens. The message comes up when your screen is activated and it fails to initialise the force feedback device. Why it happens, I have no idea. It seems you can usually get your Force Feedback to come back by clicking on the desktop then clicking on LFS again (or maybe SHIFT+C).

About the black screens when going from full screen to windowed :

I don't think that is new in U23. It has been around since some earlier test patches. I can't reproduce it when using LFS in a normal way. Does it only happen after you have used ALT+TAB? I can't be held responsible for what happens after ALT+TAB You should use SHIFT+F4 to go into a window, then Windows treats LFS with respect and sends it the appropriate messages. My impression is that ALT+TAB seems to make Windows be quite neglectful about sending the correct messages to the program.
Quote from Andreas Grauel :Gearshift debounced (can't shift twice within 50 ms)

does this has to be?
It really sucks when u need to shift down very quick...

very quick? to break the limit you have to be able to do 20 shifts in a second, which i doubt you can!

EDIT - Just tried - i can manage ~8 in one second on my Momo's paddles!
The only thing that annoys me slightly is when you click a button in the menu, I get echoes of the sound and if I click buttons in quick succession, I hear the first click, but then no clicking sound afterwards for about 2 seconds... Doesn't concern me very much though, as ingame sounds work flawlessly and I don't intend of being in the menus very long anyway...

Oh, and I use clownpaint's custom sounds for the menus... Could that be the reason for the sound "error"?

does this has to be?

Try 300 ms, it's what I have to use (w/ help of external program). Losing some time on downshifts because of that (well it's better than shifting down 3 gears in 1).

I wonder how many cars can shift that fast?

And thanks Scawen, will try this mod tomorrow or tonight if I'll use the computer with my wheel.

and I just want this confirmed;
Raced a little on AS3 on the CD 1 server, during the first race I couldn't get the names to show over the cars, and eventually LFS.exe crashed on lap 9/10 (start/finish straight), reconnceted and names showed up this time.

Did 1 race and completed it, with wierd graphical anomalies, skidmarks going up into the air. Started a 3rd race, got to lap 9/10 doing the required pitstop (this would be nearly the exact same position along the track, expect this time it was in pitlane), and LFS froze which required a reboot of the computer.

All this with U20, no changes what so ever to the game or computer from last drive yesterday. My guess, something hardware/driver related? Most likely cause right?

does this has to be?

Perhaps you misunderstand.. 50ms is 0.05 seconds.

If you have a digital watch with a stopwatch, try starting and stopping the watch. This will show you the fastest speed you can press a button. My average is about 120ms, which is pretty fast. The fastest I ever managed it was 80ms, years ago (a sign of my misspent youth )

Don't everybody post your own fastest times.. just wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding about what 50ms means in real terms.
Quote from DanneDA :All this with U20, no changes what so ever to the game or computer from last drive yesterday. My guess, something hardware/driver related? Most likely cause right?

Hmm... yeah, sounds like overheating / overclocking really.
with my momo i can get 7 shifts (well, im just pressing the button as quick as i can!) done in 1 second (no more - 7 seconds is what i got after 5 test, every single time!), that means pressing the button, then releasing it is taking me 142 ms, so somehow you are shifting 3 times quicker than me to notice - i would imagine your hardware would probably limit you much quicker than that anyway

(Try it though, if you can't get 20 shifts in one second, you aren't hitting the limit!)
no offence - irl i don't know any gearbox that can shift in 0.05 of a second, afaik F1 gearbox's do it in .2 of a second, you are complaining because LFS won't do it 4 times quicker!
Quote from Scawen :.....You should use SHIFT+F4 to go into a window, then Windows treats LFS with respect and sends it the appropriate messages. My impression is that ALT+TAB seems to make Windows be quite neglectful about sending the correct messages to the program.

I habitually use the 'Windows' key to get to desktop (just one dab of the finger)with absolutely no issues. Anything wrong with that method?
Quote from Doorman :I habitually use the 'Windows' key to get to desktop (just one dab of the finger)with absolutely no issues. Anything wrong with that method?

It's ok, if it's ok for you. It's just that, if some obscure bugs come up because of using alternative methods of swapping windows, I may not be able to fix it, because Windows doesn't tell LFS that something has happened. LFS just can't repair itself if it doesn't know anything has happened. SHIFT+F4 is safe, because you are asking LFS to go into a window (or back to full screen). It then does whatever it needs to do, to do that safely.
I got the black screen problem once but I can't reproduce it so I guess it's just a one-time bug
I also had this blackscreen bug a few times, and I never use Alt-Tab.
But what I did was resizing the LFS window RIGHT after LFS switched to windowed mode (because the "my computer"-icon is hidden under it )
However, when I tried to reproduce that, it didn't work

Evil bugs, they always hide when you wanna hunt them
I've had some problems with the black screen while using Shift+F4, in all (or almost all) cases I've used Firefox when not active in game. I have either used Minimizebutton or minimize in the menu for rightclick or Win + D (minimize all), or just simply let LFS run in the background.

I cannot repeat this by will, mostly there isn't a problem when doing this. Probably Windows missing to send some information to LFS.
Quote from Scawen :It's ok, if it's ok for you. It's just that, if some obscure bugs come up because of using alternative methods of swapping windows, I may not be able to fix it, because Windows doesn't tell LFS that something has happened. LFS just can't repair itself if it doesn't know anything has happened. SHIFT+F4 is safe, because you are asking LFS to go into a window (or back to full screen). It then does whatever it needs to do, to do that safely.

Okey dokey. I'll add a macro on my G15. Still one dab. I love when you're given a REASON!
Problem in U23

No problems in any other test patch...

when game is minimized and then made full screen again, get this message in RED:
DI : FFDevice - DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS

I can still play fine, just wanted to note it (Windows XP SP2, Logitech MOMO (Assuming it has something to do with the wheel!))
I'm getting problems everytime I connect to a server.

The screen goes black and just hangs, I need to use task mangaer to shut down.

However, once LFS is restarted it connects without a problem.
Never had this before.

Andrew

EDIT

BTW I have LFS set to window whilst browseing the server list.
Quote from Thorvertonian :Problem in U23

No problems in any other test patch...

when game is minimized and then made full screen again, get this message in RED:
DI : FFDevice - DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS

I can still play fine, just wanted to note it (Windows XP SP2, Logitech MOMO (Assuming it has something to do with the wheel!))

Look here.
Quote from mrfell :I'm getting problems everytime I connect to a server.

The screen goes black and just hangs, I need to use task mangaer to shut down.

However, once LFS is restarted it connects without a problem.
Never had this before.

Andrew

EDIT

BTW I have LFS set to window whilst browseing the server list.

Right just forced LFS NOT into windowed mode whilst connecting to a server and all seems OK.
Echo "bug"...

When i am on the track, menu (buttons) sounds have echo...
Quote from nesrulz :Echo "bug"...

When i am on the track, menu (buttons) sounds have echo...

I had no echo until I went on track, since then I've had it everywhere. Ending the race cures it. Also I do get a little crackling now and then when exiting the pits, or when playing with the sound lag setting.

Quote from God :Now generated at 100 Hz resolution - same as physics

So what resolution was the sound generated at before?

Edit: I got a big "not recording" message out of the blue too, never seen text in that font either, is this U23 related?
Attached images
not_recording.JPG
He, first time in LFS (no before U23) i see this (black screen).
This happen when i go from window mod in full screen mod (SHIFT + F4).
U23 here...

This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG