The online racing simulator
LFS sometimes goes back to locked status on a laptop after an automatic hibernation.

The solution is : unlock LFS after a reboot.

Now if it ever appears locked again, reboot the computer then run LFS again - it will still be unlocked.
Any chance we could get the list of changes between U20 and U22 on the first post please? It's hard to find them in this increasingly long conversation
It lists the changes in the README_U22.txt file in the U22 zip file
Quote from Scawen :LFS sometimes goes back to locked status on a laptop after an automatic hibernation.

The solution is : unlock LFS after a reboot.

Now if it ever appears locked again, reboot the computer then run LFS again - it will still be unlocked.

Ahhh, that explains it!!

I do tend to hibernate the laptop every now and then after running LFS. I know now to shutdown instead of hibernate.

EDIT: Just tried rebooting after restarting from a hibernated session and yes, LFS is unlocked!

Thanks for explaining...
Quote from robps :It lists the changes in the README_U22.txt file in the U22 zip file

Well that's something, but it does mean I have to download it first
Anyone else started getting bad crashes with the patch U22?.

I have NEVER experianced a crash with LFS before I put the U22 patch on, but now it seems to give the "LFS.exe has caused an error" blah blah blah everytime I either exit a server, or try and exit the program.

I'll get the full crash report error if it will help.

Dan,
Just earlier I had left lfs paused on a replay for about 10 minutes, then went to exit LFS and it left me hanging at a black screen with mouse visible. alt-f4 then closed whatever it was no worries. this is on u22.
When changeing from U20 to U22 i can't start LFS i get a messege. But because i wanted to play so much i didn't took any screenshot i just patched back to U20
Not sure if this has been asked before, but:

Would it be possible to provide some options for map placement? Even if it's just left/center/right on the top edge of the screen. I just want to be able to move it somewhere away from the chat window, really.

Cheers!
Hi Hockquan.

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't want any more requests at all, unless they are related specifically to the changes in this test patch. There's no way I can keep adding things to my list of things to do. I can't even do all the things which are on topic, in the time available.

You are welcome to put any requests in the improvement suggestions forum. This thread is for reporting problems with the test patch.
Quote from mike20002 :Never seen this bug untill u22.

When Im online and hit shift+F4 to go small-view, the window for LFS goes black.
I hear the game and buttons still working but can't see anything on the screen even if I hit shift+F4 again to go back to maximum view.
Only way is to shutdown LFS and start it again.
- Changing screen resolution in LFS doesnt help...
- This is not happening every time i hit shift+F4...

I will check my video and directx versions when I get back home...

I also had this bug on U20...
-
(KiDCoDEa) DELETED by KiDCoDEa
TEST Patch U23
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST WHICH MAY HAVE PROBLEMS

The sound system now works in a very different way! It's the same old sounds but they are now using DirectSound instead of waveOut. It's a different system and LFS sound processing has moved around quite a bit to take advantage of some of the DirectSound features. This should finally make the sound work well, without delay, on all Windows computers including Vista. Unlocking should also work in all versions of Windows.

Changes in TEST PATCH U23 :

Sound :

Should now work correctly in Windows Vista
Reduced crackling of sounds related to echoes
Now generated at 100 Hz resolution - same as physics
Wind sound volume is now linear (avoids excessive noise)

Language :

Two strings : Replay was not being recorded / Not recording
Strings 3g_upc_male to 3a_x_lfspot increased by 4 characters
Gearshift debounced (can't shift twice within 50 ms)
Included updated Commands_Russian.txt

Scripts :

Scripts can now be used on a dedicated host
New command /hrun X : admin can run script X on host
New command /exec E C : run program E with command line C

FIX : U22 Windows 2000 unlocking bug
FIX : U22 car sounds vanished in helicopter view
FIX : U22 sounds swapping sides and crackling with mirrors on

NOTE : Translatable text updated

Changes from U20 to U22 :

Misc :

HLVC : NEXT lap is now not invalidated by driving the wrong way
S2 users can now see and join S1 hosts in List of Games screen
S1 users can now use the automatic skin download system

Language :

New strings for buttons : end race, spectate, join (were shared)
New string "play" instead of "OK" button in replay select screen
Included Czech translation of training lessons

Sound :

Skid / scrape sounds are now bounded to reasonable level
Engine can now be heard from a greater distance

FIX : When REV config replay was selected, REV was not displayed
FIX : When there were no SPR replays, MPR vanished from ALL view
FIX : Rare problem causing your car to vanish on other computers
FIX : Could not view user names in replay if MP mode was Demo
FIX : Bug in camera position height part of sound calculation
FIX : Unlocking is now possible in Windows Vista 64-bit
FIX : Sound should now work correctly in Windows Vista

NOTE : Translatable text updated
NOTE : Added /run /hrun and /exec to Commands.txt

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH U23 :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_U23_TEST.zip

DEDICATED HOST U23 (for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_U23.zip
Quote from Scawen :(U23)

sound working great here (U23, XP SP2, Creative SB Live! 5.1)
Quote from Scawen :/exec E C : run program E with command line C

Am I understanding it correctly that I could update the hosts config file using InSim now?

echo text > config.txt

so it would be
/exec echo text > config.txt

in lfs now? sorry if I understood it wrong (and for my bad english).
Quote from St4Lk3R :Am I understanding it correctly that I could update the hosts config file using InSim now?

I hope so, yes, but I only tested this by calling one exe. Let me know if it works!
Sound only present in Replay speed x 1.000. It used to have sound in other replay speeds too. I'm guessing it was intentional.
Quote from Renku :Sound only present in Replay speed x 1.000. It used to have sound in other replay speeds too. I'm guessing it was intentional.

Same here. In the menu it says "Sound buffer: Off" when using a replay speed other than x 1.000.

Despite this bug Direct Sound works really fine on Win XP. I guess the only disadvantage is, that the sound stops when the LFS window is loosing focus.

P.s. And as a WinXP user I'd like to set the sound lag below 0.05s, just to show the Vista kids how "slow" their OS is.

Edit: I found another bug (or is it a feature ?). When you are ingame, the menu sounds (like Click, InvalidKey, ect.) get echoed as well, just like the engine sounds.
Crackling and such is gone as promised

But few minor things:

1.The tire sound is heard around the car even when stationary when wind is enabled, if it supposed to be wind sound it's way off :P
2. When on the track, button sounds have echo, sounds weird.

edit.

3. Had this error in LFS (I suppose it's error because it's in red) when I switced to destop with alt+tab, is it anything? Never had anything like that before.
Attached images
error.jpg
Quote from Blackout :1.The tire sound is heard around the car even when stationary when wind is enabled, if it supposed to be wind sound it's way off :P

It's the wind sound. In my opinion it's too loud at low speeds, a wind speed of 28 km/h already sounds like a hurricane when being stationary.
-
(nesrulz) DELETED by nesrulz
No more crackling.

One "bug"...
When is LFS window minimized and other program is open "trought" LFS, i don't hear LFS sound...
Quote from GP4Flo :
Despite this bug Direct Sound works really fine on Win XP. I guess the only disadvantage is, that the sound stops when the LFS window is loosing focus.

Oh I love that. It irritaded me all the time to have the sound if LFS has no focus.
For what do I/you want the sound if you don´t see anything? Or do you mean if you have another window half over it?
I can live better with it, so it´s a nice feautre for me

I drove a race in singleplayer and alone and had 2-3 really annoying lags per lap.
Maybe it comes from another task was opened but only some websites.
So I only want to hear if someone else noticed it...
Quote from Blackout :
3. Had this error in LFS (I suppose it's error because it's in red) when I switced to destop with alt+tab, is it anything? Never had anything like that before.

I got the same error when I started the game up. [EDIT - also when I alt-tab to desktop]

also going from U20 to U23 ment i had to unlock LFS again, Is this right? I've read the previous pages and not seen anything about this. Running on XP SP2.
Attached images
lfserror.JPG
I'm using window while connecting - yes option, like I always have. First server I entered was ok, after I entered to another server got black screen. Closed LFS and on my second try I got also black screen, I could hear all the sounds while others were racing, but only thing I saw was the black screen. So on the third time I used SHIFT+F4 to change my LFS to full screen and I could enter the server normally. So later I entered different server and no black screen problems. I don't know how to replicate it, or what caused it. I have forced 4*AA and 8*AF from ATI Tray Tools, don't know if it has anything to do with it. I doubt it has nothing to do with the server because the server, FusionRacing S2 is using patch U20.
U23 sounds great

The muted sound on lost focus annoys me too, and i got the same error msg as Blackout (FFDevice DIERR_HANDLEEXISTS) when alt-tabbing.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG