The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
I've broken down, gonna go and pickup a copy from retail now!
Quote from Mustafur :Not a good idea, buting from the ps store means you will not be able to play untill the day after the release.

Depends on your timezone. It'll come out at like 1;00 for me.
Went and paid in full at the store earlier today. Now I get priority (separate line cutting everyone, even preorders) when I go back at midnight.

Not that it matters, because it will take 6 hours to install.
Actually, amusingly, the PSN does say (In the description for GTA5), and I quote.

"Visit the PSN anytime after 12:01 (PST) on September 17th to download your game".

So... Yeah, It'll come out at midnight for me on PSN.
Quote from Rappa Z :Went and paid in full at the store earlier today. Now I get priority (separate line cutting everyone, even preorders) when I go back at midnight.

Not that it matters, because it will take 6 hours to install.

10-15 mins or so to install actually

Looking at the paper map it comes with, it's like TDU in scale!

Will keep me hooked till the PC version, which I'll also get on Steam most likely
Quote :Before going to bed I will give this advice to presumptive buyers: avoid the PSN version. I am sure that reviewers/digital foundry were served nice bluray copies that utilize streaming from the hard drive and the disc drive at the same time, but the psn version clearly has pop in. Street lights and road signs pop in all the time. But also smaller buildings and other random stuff. Considering the digital nature of the game, there is no quick fix like the "avoid installing disc 2" thing on 360. Rockstar might fix this down the road, but who knows, maybe the PC version is out by then. Get yourself a disc based copy of the game or wait for PC.

I'm not too scared. I have a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD in there. It should be good
The detail is soo much more.better on gta 5 then gta 4 its insane, traffic is also much more behaved now.

And the cop chase system ia soo much better and more realistic.
Quote from Rappa Z :There goes my sleep.

I'll at least have a few hours to DL. Maybe I'll go to bed early and just wake up at 5 AM to play.
Quote from DeKo :Spent the last 2 days driving about and there is really nothing to worry about. In my opinion, a perfect mix between San andreas and IV. I loved the driving in IV and was as worried as the rest, and it really is brilliant.

Wouldn't call it brilliant, since there is still plenty of stuff wrong with it. Hitting other cars usually means you scrape past or bounce off, the acceleration and especially the decceleration is way too quick and then there is the instant shock absorbers.

Still fun to drive, but not perfect.
Quote from DeKo :All I would say is, if you're getting this game on PS3, buy it from the PS Store and download it. The noise of my Blu-Ray drive constantly reading is making me go insane.

Price in £ and size in GB please?
Ok, I'm going to install the play disc to a USB flash drive. Seems to work okay and takes away the noise of the play disc... (Xbox360)
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Price in £ and size in GB please?

It says you should have almost 40 GB of space free on your HDD.
Okay, phew. Been avoiding this thread to avoid spoilers for the past few days. Been playing for about 5 hours now, there's just so much to do in the world!

Haven't had any popping issues with the PSN version running on an SSD, but the framerate is pretty terrible most of the times. I'd say 30 FPS is the absolute maximum that you get if there's very little going on, but while driving in the city with busy traffic, you're going to go down to under 20 FPS and it gets really choppy, sometimes even very difficult to do missions as a result.

Physics... well they've gone more arcade and twitchy from GTA 4 as I expected from the videos. It's not totally uncontrollable, but the cars are too overly responsive and twitchy, far from the enjoyable and relaxed GTA 4 driving. Motorcycles are the worst offenders, they were nearly perfect in 4, but here they are mega twitchy and nervous, barely uncontrollable.

Those are the only negatives I can think of, I've loved everything else about it so far. The game is a vast masterpiece, that I feel like has been made for the next gen consoles in mind rather than the current ones. I'm almost certain that we're going to see a next gen console release once they come out, then the game would make much more sense with higher FPS and more enjoyable gameplay as a result. Not to mention, once it comes on PC, the twitchy handling can be fixed with mods.

In its current form with the outdated console performance, I'd give it a 7/10. Full HD and above with 60 FPS, 9/10.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :It says you should have almost 40 GB of space free on your HDD.

Frack I need a new HDD then but the disc version's an 8gb install isn't it or is that X360?
I have no issue with the car control, you just need more stick nuance in the initial stick travel. No problems once your used to it
But I keep bailing out of the car for some reason once in a while when I try to honk the horn
Same for the sprint/jump, sometime it allows you to do it and sometimes it doesn't depending on the context - makes no sense

Don't like the planted cars though - I was towing a car, and then had it unhooked from an impact. So I tried to backup and push a car out of the way to hook it back up, but the other car was planted even with my torquey big ass truck pushing :/

I have visited the strip club with 2 characters so far, the black guy has 3 of the hotter chicks in his phone as contacts after having a one night stand with each, and now I can call them up anytime for a free good time
They also text him sexy photos after each time
I also had the married character bang the hot blonde stripper as well, and he too has her on the phone - damn slut

---

PS3 disc version only need around 8GB or so

Graphics are a little jagged AA wise, and the polygon tits means I can't fap to the strip dancers :/
High res PC version and mod needed!

Voices are too loud and cars/environment sound is not loud enough, wish I could tweak that!
The Ferrari rip off I just drove has superb gear change and throttle blip sounds

---

disappointed I could not shoot hoops on the BBall courts
Disc is 8gb...

Well, time to update and clear stuff off then isn't it?
I love this car that I jacked from a nice lady

Cars just have more heft and solidity to them - nice enough to want to keep and mod them etc
Kinda Mclaren SLR'ish
Being able to recover cars is a really nice touch aswell, in all previous GTA's I've always been feart to drive nice cars, but in this it's fine. It's also a lot better in the way that if you go and do a mission and come back, your car will still be parked there where you left it rather than magically disappearing.
Sexy Lens flare - capped in real time
Any way to transfer the iFruit pics to USB Stick?

Short verdict on the driving physics:

1) The cars are much grippier, but then I always thought the GTA4 ones were a tad too slidy. Now they're a tad too grippy, but still fun to drive.

2) Crashes are way worse than in GTA IV. I guess they got rid of the soft body eformation of GTA IV for performance reasons, but due the almost complete lack of deforming (instead, parts fall off), the crashes feel like bumping matchbox cars. Also, there seems to be an issue with car weight. When hitting a car of the same or a higher weight, your own car seems to skid around it upon impact, with little to no impact on the car you hit.

Also, I got mostly two results from crashes: either the "skidding" around the obstacle with no real loss of traction or orientation, OR it's flipping all over the place with multiple revolutions around all three axis', but nothing in between.

Still, a great game. But after about 5 hours in I still think The Last of Us is the best PS3 game of this year, if not of all time, even though I do like Sandbox games and dislike survival horror...
Just got my copy during my lunch break, can't wait to install it tonight
Quote from ColeusRattus :Short verdict on the driving physics:

1) The cars are much grippier, but then I always thought the GTA4 ones were a tad too slidy. Now they're a tad too grippy, but still fun to drive.

2) Crashes are way worse than in GTA IV. I guess they got rid of the soft body eformation of GTA IV for performance reasons, but due the almost complete lack of deforming (instead, parts fall off), the crashes feel like bumping matchbox cars. Also, there seems to be an issue with car weight. When hitting a car of the same or a higher weight, your own car seems to skid around it upon impact, with little to no impact on the car you hit.

Also, I got mostly two results from crashes: either the "skidding" around the obstacle with no real loss of traction or orientation, OR it's flipping all over the place with multiple revolutions around all three axis', but nothing in between.

Still, a great game. But after about 5 hours in I still think The Last of Us is the best PS3 game of this year, if not of all time, even though I do like Sandbox games and dislike survival horror...

Hmm I dunno, I just finished a 43 min single mission stint, according to the game, which ended up in long cop car chase, over a huge area, and some of the cop cars I jacked during one of the many firefights was absolutely totalled!
Lots of funny situations developed throughout. Wish there was a way you could save replays
Map not much bigger than San Andreas and crash dynamics ****in suck.

That and the gay ass character switching and midnight club slow-mo shit it's actually quite disappointing.
Map isn't much bigger I suppose yeah, in the same way that the US isn't much bigger than the UK.

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG