The online racing simulator
#51 - 5haz
Luca Badoer is a fairly safe bet... In the pitlane. :rolleyes:

I don't think Brawn are going to revive their fortunes at the next race, I'm not too sure about Red Bull either, I think it'll either be Vettel, Webber or Hamilton.
i think rosberg deserves a win
car should be good
#53 - aoun
IMO tracks arnt the problem, to me it's just another obstical, there shouldn't be alot of feelings for a track other the weather you like it or not. Other then tracks like Monaco, you can make a pass anywhere, it's just the cars, drivers and media these days.

The cars are made to be quick around a track but as soon as you tuck behind another, there goes the performance to be able to get close.

Then you have super quick robot drivers that will pass only when it's 100% clear or may not even choose to at all.

Then you have the media flame or ruin a driver for making a mistake for taking out someone for giving a pass a go.

I could talk about how the old drivers used to overtake often and give a good race but that's unfair, their cars could run closer, and there wasn't much Internet forums and media that would kill drivers. But the most recent I could say was Montoya or crashtoya as some mr. Think they know it alls would say. That driver always made a move, and an example from the upcomming race , Spa, I'm sure alot saw that pass live on michael at the bus stop. Plus plenty more.

But....... You have everyone down you neck these days to drive like a robot and you have cars that deny the oppitunity to make a pass... That's all just my opinion.
Except that "old drivers" didn't do that much overtaking most of the time. Now and again there'd be a slipstreaming battle at Monza, or a charge through the field from Fangio or something like that. And because 'our' knowledge of the past is via these few and far between reports we think it was actually like that. It wasn't.

Since the dawn of time, putting the best drivers in the best cars of a given era very, very rarely produces good racing...
#55 - aoun
Yeah well I could also agree with that too.
You only really realise what good races they were until they have passed, there have been so many close battles that are forgotten when you watch the race but as time goes on you'll see a youtube f1 video of some excellent racing that you are surprised not to have remembered.
Quote from BlueFlame :You only really realise what good races they were until they have passed, there have been so many close battles that are forgotten when you watch the race but as time goes on you'll see a youtube f1 video of some excellent racing that you are surprised not to have remembered.

Isn't that called 'Rose Tinted Spectacles"?
#58 - 5haz
Quote from tristancliffe :Except that "old drivers" didn't do that much overtaking most of the time. Now and again there'd be a slipstreaming battle at Monza, or a charge through the field from Fangio or something like that. And because 'our' knowledge of the past is via these few and far between reports we think it was actually like that. It wasn't.

Since the dawn of time, putting the best drivers in the best cars of a given era very, very rarely produces good racing...

Still better than nothing, and years ago it was impressive enough watching cars lap the circuit on their own, compared to modern efficient and boring cars and circuits.
#59 - aoun
Yea, I understand that too blueflame, I was just trying to make a point that's tracks arnt te cause for no passing/minimal passing.
Quote from 5haz :Still better than nothing, and years ago it was impressive enough watching cars lap the circuit on their own, compared to modern efficient and boring cars and circuits.

If you wanna see counter steering go watch some drifting... I think it's fine enough and mighty impressive watching them drive now. The skill of not having to countersteer and the speed of the cars is what i call impressive. Sliding your car round a corner, while looks nice and is slightly impressive, isn't what i watch racing for.
#61 - 5haz
Quote from BenjiMC :If you wanna see counter steering go watch some drifting... I think it's fine enough and mighty impressive watching them drive now. The skill of not having to countersteer and the speed of the cars is what i call impressive. Sliding your car round a corner, while looks nice and is slightly impressive, isn't what i watch racing for.

Not quite, there was a time when cars had some considerable grip, but still far off what we have now (Early/mid '70s), to be fast they had to be steered through corners using the throttle.

The top drivers could hold the cars through corners, never sliding more than neccesary (only slightly), and sometimes with all 4 wheels sliding in unison, a true 4 wheel 'drift'. Of course there were some exceptions!

This was not excessive tail out drifting on full steering lock, but car control as smooth, precise and impressive as any modern Formula 1 driver, born out of neccesity as there was still fairly limited grip at the time.
Quote from 5haz :Not quite, there was a time when cars had some considerable grip, but still far off what we have now (Early/mid '70s), to be fast they had to be steered through corners using the throttle.

The top drivers could hold the cars through corners, never sliding more than neccesary (only slightly), and sometimes with all 4 wheels sliding in unison, a true 4 wheel 'drift'. Of course there were some exceptions!

This was not excessive tail out drifting on full steering lock, but car control as smooth, precise and impressive as any modern Formula 1 driver, born out of neccesity as there was still fairly limited grip at the time.

GPL is a good example of this theory. If you back into a corner in those days you can get on the throttle earlier because your car is lined up for the exit and your not riding on the front tyres waiting for the apex to arrive.
10 years ago, racing was quite dull compared to now, i was watching the full 1997 Argentine GP yesterday and i relised how much different it is to F1 today.

1.The gaps between cars in 97 is Freaking huge, by like lap 20 the front runners are allready overtaking the slower cars.
2.Qualifiying was insane spread out, even between team mates for eg: Damon hill qualified 2 seconds quicker then hes Team mate in the Arrows Yamaha.
3.By lap 3 I relised this was more boring then Valencia.(allthough it was quite intresting to see
Panis in the Prost fight With JV in the Far surpiror Williams Renault)
4. This was mainly due to the fact the cars pace would go on and off pace all the time, depending on tyres and fuel load, one stint there 5 seconds off the pace next stint there 2 seconds faster then the next fastest guy, its quite odd.
Quote from 5haz :The old Hockenheim wasn't exactly the most thrillng track either.

Hockenheim is almost as dull as Hungary, together with Valencia it is kept in the calender so that all those people who think F1 is boring have some merit to their argument. F1 likes to please it's audience in this way.
Quote from Becky Rose :Hockenheim is almost as dull as Hungary, together with Valencia it is kept in the calender so that all those people who think F1 is boring have some merit to their argument. F1 likes to please it's audience in this way.

rofl

Seriously, Valencia needs to go! But keep the Hungaroring, as it's the closest track to me, if i ever decide to go
#66 - 5haz
Bring back Brands Hatch (just don't Tilke the track if you do).
Quote from 5haz :Bring back Brands Hatch (just don't Tilke the track if you do).

F1 at Brands would be as boring as F1 at the Hungaroring.
Quote from JackDaMaster :F1 at Brands would be as boring as F1 at the Hungaroring.

I think the first corner would provide some entertainment with the cars bottoming out and all.
-
(carey) DELETED by carey
I'm sure F1 is clever enough to fit stiffer springs and/or bump rubbers to cope with bottoming if it's that bad. But I doubt the bottom of Paddock Hill would be any worse than the bottom of Eau Rouge.
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm sure F1 is clever enough to fit stiffer springs and/or bump rubbers to cope with bottoming if it's that bad. But I doubt the bottom of Paddock Hill would be any worse than the bottom of Eau Rouge.

Yes, you're right it would be less, as no car enters Paddock at 200mph
#71 - 5haz
Quote from JackDaMaster :F1 at Brands would be as boring as F1 at the Hungaroring.

True true as the racing line at Brands isn't exactly the widest ever, and I was at Brands when C.A.R.T had their round there in 2001 and I didn't see a pass the whole race (luckily the BTCC were there too, and did not dissapoint!). Also they've ruined Graham Hill bend since the F1 cars last raced.

But that problem is caused by the cars, not the track.

Quote from BlueFlame :Yes, you're right it would be less, as no car enters Paddock at 200mph

By '86 the F1 cars were pushing 190mph by the end of the front straight in qualifying.
Quote from 5haz :
By '86 the F1 cars were pushing 190mph by the end of the front straight in qualifying.

Well cars today don't have 1000bhp. In qualy trim.
#73 - 5haz
Quote from BlueFlame :Well cars today don't have 1000bhp. In qualy trim.

I Bet a Current F1 will be nearly as fast at that point though or even faster, thanks to the aero dynamics and the fact it can get its power down much more efficiently, it would basically be full throttle from Sterlings bend..

however, isn't Brands pretty Bumpy? or do i just get the impression from other series racing there..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG