The online racing simulator
Just noticed they are carrying out maintenance. Not been online since this morning and it seemed fine.
I decided to boot up Prologue again today, and immediately noticed how much cleaner and more refined Prologue looked.
I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but Fuji look murkier lighting wise in GT5 vs Prologue, and reflections on the car seemed a lot lower res and choppy in motion
The cockpit view is different to among other things

GT5 Prologue -

watch in 720p for a better impression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSXDeEKeU4

Has better overall image quality, better interior shadows and reflections.
Nice wind sound which enhances feeling of speed
Horrible and annoying tyre noises.
Physics feel terrible, a bit like skating on ice.

GT5 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE18-zlseHw

Has better sound, although the whine annoying and too loud IMO. Engine sounds nice down low, but gets a bit "chipmunked" up high.
The tyre sounds are better and have variations. The interior collison sound is horrible though.

Lacks the wind noise
Open top car should have a lot of wind buffeting noise...

Better smoke and tyre marks.

The standard interior view is slightly higher and a little further back, I like the higher position but it doesn't feel as immersive as Prologue's cockpit view IMO. You can move the view closer, but it's too big a jump. Wish GT5 had a slider instead of presets

There is an overall more murky look and not quite as sharp. Seems darker too on the same settings.
Don't like the extra tinting on the glass. The shadows are more jagged inside the car, the reflection are more obvious and of lower quality, popup, lower res and and lower framerate than the rest of the game
Really bad exterior shadow flickering and quality

You can see Texture LOD pop in on the replay with the green Sega Sammy Group overhead banner on the straight.

Physics are much better.

-------
Prologue - Art Morrison Corvette

GT5 Standard view - a little higher and further back

GT5 Narrow option
Server has been in maintainence for more than 12 hours, or is it only the asian server affected?
Nah its worldwide, im assuming this is so they can add the xp and prize money for online races.
we need more stricter restriction settings for online. min weight, max hp, drivetrain, and other modifications. clutch/gated shifter only servers
What annoyed me most about the sound is that the Quattro default sounds are ok, you can just about hear the 5cylinder growl synonymus with the Quattro but when I tuned it, it sounds now nothing like a 5cylinder engine at all. It sounds more like a 2litre inline 4 rally car.... big kudos points lost, this was the same on GT4. A 5cylinder should growl.
Quote from BlueFlame :What annoyed me most about the sound is that the Quattro default sounds are ok, you can just about hear the 5cylinder growl synonymus with the Quattro but when I tuned it, it sounds now nothing like a 5cylinder engine at all. It sounds more like a 2litre inline 4 rally car.... big kudos points lost, this was the same on GT4. A 5cylinder should growl.

Just use the exhaust sound you like, there is tiny bit of HP difference between em. best to buy them all and change em in your garage and hit teh demo button to see what it sound slike. if you do it at the tarck there is a bug that keeps tehs ame sound from the previous exhaust

-----------

I've been searching for a 22B in GT5 for a while, then when I entered a B-Spec race with my tuned GT-R Spec V with 630+ HP driven by my B-Spec driver V.Baron., I saw this lovely example, with most likely a race exhaust

It looks pretty good for a non premium car, and it sounds better than the other premium and standard Imprezas!

My driver V.Baron is just about as fast as me on this track with the GT-R. Sub 1min on Tsukuba. He's at level 15. So the AI can be fast, but Polyphony Digital for some reason likes to dumb em down

My GT-R specV has a race exhaust and sound a bit like the 370z with the same in the game.
Vid of the 22B and GT-R in the same race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGHGbHXRIH8
the AI seem better at Tsubuka than on any other race track. The all japan race at tsubuka is the only one I feel requires a competitve machine to race against.

On any other track, I am consistently 5 to 6 seconds a lap quicker than my lvl.23 B-spec driver, they may get one or two second quicker with speed maxed out, but I guess that's about it.

On a side note the AI seem to handle non-downforce car the best, and is having some problem getting the maxium grip when downforce is introduced.
my ai slows down for no reason on ovals :/ makes winning b-spec oval races much harder. he is level 14.
every B-spec driver does that, you leave them there, and they go to sleep lapping 10 second slower than normal......hell you have to baby sit them at least once a lap/
Quote from Gabkicks :my ai slows down for no reason on ovals :/ makes winning b-spec oval races much harder. he is level 14.

He probably has low cornering ability, time to get a new one
Every driver is unique.

I had 1 driver that keep braking on the banked turns. I did eventually get him to win it, but just half a car length with a much lighter and more powerful car than the rest....

Later I put my full hot level 11 driver, with a blue upward arrow, on that Truck race on Daytona again, and he led from start to finish, and set the fastest lap of the race without any draft help. Finished with a 7+ sec lead.

The main thing was - he barely braked at all, and carried a 248-249kph speed through the slowest turn

So it's down to driver level and the corner rating I suspect when it comes to issues with Daytona. I know my lower level driver who previously raced on Daytona, would brake when he was at level 3-5.
I put that same driver, now at level 7 in the same race, he gets into the lead but brakes back down to 215kph at the slowest... and gets caught up in traffic etc

someone's driver lineup
In this the same GT5 though? In mine I have career instead of experience for the rating

Cars can get dirty
Quote :Never washed, these are the results after about 1300 Km of races on road tracks, including hour-long ones.
The car never went to dirt tracks (actually I'm not even sure it can).
It takes much time for dirt to visibly accumulate, it seems.

There's a bug, though: in the Garage the car looks perfectly clean and waxed, however during races and in GT Auto screens, it clearly looks dirty. I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature to surprise people when they realise that their car is dirty.

Has anybody else managed to bring their car in similar conditions?

It's very easy to raise your AI driver's level once you get to the endurance race, you can throw in a totally new guy and have him just sit there not even doing a stint, and he levels up 7 to 8 level after the race.
Quote from JJ72 :It's very easy to raise your AI driver's level once you get to the endurance race, you can throw in a totally new guy and have him just sit there not even doing a stint, and he levels up 7 to 8 level after the race.

yeah I'm finding experience/career is a factor too. I have 2 guys with the same level, but the one with less races under his belt doesn't do as well.

Had saved up 750k, then I had a look in the 2nd hand yard, spotted a Caterham fireblade, RUF Yellowbird, and a Prodrive Impreza.
Now I'm down to 330k credits after restoring these beauties
Must save up 1 million for the Mclaren F1....
Now up to level 25, pretty much had my fill with "career" progression, just golded the final AMG special, which was really, really easy.

Not bothered with B spec, find it really boring, so all I am doing now is trying to collect all the cars, and am quite enjoying time trialling them on the top gear test track, with comfort hard tyres, those tyres really do highlight the physics engine, even standards feel really good with comfort hards
I am trying to make my volvo estate lap around the top gear track faster than a EVO (shameless challenge rip off! )
That 10 lap B-Spec race on High Speed Ring in Expert > Turbo Sports is a nice cash cow.

Even a level zero driver with a 787B can blow away everyone without any supervision, and he'll jump to level 4 after winning.
Which nets you 30,000 credits and takes about 10 mins

I have my new driver M.Weber doing rounds on it now
There's a nascar event in A-Spec that'll give you almost 50k each four and a half minutes...
Quote from jibber :There's a nascar event in A-Spec that'll give you almost 50k each four and a half minutes...

Yeah, but I bet it's harder, since all cars are the same, and you need to babysit the driver

I just want to set and forget
A-Spec. You'll have to drive yourself. It's easy tho, a sure win, and you only have to steer left.
Quote from CoolColJ :I decided to boot up Prologue again today, and immediately noticed how much cleaner and more refined Prologue looked.
I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but Fuji look murkier lighting wise in GT5 vs Prologue, and reflections on the car seemed a lot lower res and choppy in motion
The cockpit view is different to among other things

GT5 Prologue -

watch in 720p for a better impression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBSXDeEKeU4

Has better overall image quality, better interior shadows and reflections.
Nice wind sound which enhances feeling of speed
Horrible and annoying tyre noises.
Physics feel terrible, a bit like skating on ice.

GT5 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE18-zlseHw

Has better sound, although the whine annoying and too loud IMO. Engine sounds nice down low, but gets a bit "chipmunked" up high.
The tyre sounds are better and have variations. The interior collison sound is horrible though.

Lacks the wind noise
Open top car should have a lot of wind buffeting noise...

Better smoke and tyre marks.

The standard interior view is slightly higher and a little further back, I like the higher position but it doesn't feel as immersive as Prologue's cockpit view IMO. You can move the view closer, but it's too big a jump. Wish GT5 had a slider instead of presets

There is an overall more murky look and not quite as sharp. Seems darker too on the same settings.
Don't like the extra tinting on the glass. The shadows are more jagged inside the car, the reflection are more obvious and of lower quality, popup, lower res and and lower framerate than the rest of the game
Really bad exterior shadow flickering and quality

You can see Texture LOD pop in on the replay with the green Sega Sammy Group overhead banner on the straight.

Physics are much better.

-------
Prologue - Art Morrison Corvette

GT5 Standard view - a little higher and further back

GT5 Narrow option

GT5/GT5P cockpit view is big disappointment mainly because of 200* wheel rotation and driver hand placement on steering wheel is wrong

in that area LFS is much better
I remember saying a few pages back, that GT5:P looked better than GT5, I think the general feeling was, I was talking rubbish.........
Quote from danowat :I remember saying a few pages back, that GT5:P looked better than GT5, I think the general feeling was, I was talking rubbish.........

because "obviously you hate the game."
Just raced against R.Whitely. Wasn't very fast, seemed to run out of time.
Quote from 91mason91 :Just raced against R.Whitely. Wasn't very fast, seemed to run out of time.

Would probably be a lot funnier if he was still alive
Quote from R34GTR :Would probably be a lot funnier if he was still alive

Yea was wondering if it was right to post it. Went for the gamble, didn't work out.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG