The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 5
(7862 posts, started )
What I hate about each successive GT release is that they add some good things, but disgard half of it in the next release. GT5:Prologue had some good ideas, that evolved the GT concept from earlier games, then GT5 ditched them altogether. That's like chasing your own tail, and wasting a lot of dev and coding time.

The tuning is getting more simplified each time around. Can't set individual gear ratios anymore, nor even save setups - PS3's HD is perfect for that!
Even Prologue had 3 slots, and all the settings on one easy to read page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4TuRHGUvi8

Prologue also allowed you to adjust the steering lock, not so in GT5.

I don't get this low, mid and high rpm range turbo only upgrade system
Yes you would either have small, medium or large turbos to do this in real life, but you can also set boost pressure for each turbo type in real life too. The first GT did allow you to adjust turbo pressure :/

I miss being able to flick through each car in the replay using the D pad, now you have to select it from a menu, which is tedious.
There used to be lots of shortcuts with the pad, they're mostly gone now

Hopefully a few patches will fix all the wrongs, and add more rights.. but there are no sure fire guarantees. A lot of stuff that seemed dead certain to be in GT5 before release, are missing....
ALOT of good stuff from GT5:P went AWOL, along with those you listed, time trial leaderboards was one of them, also the "PP" system, which was good too, is missing.
I doubt they will ever go around to get it all back, the fact that they took it out mean it was a design decision, something must have gone in their head to make things this way. I Don't know if PD is the kind of game developer that changes stuff if the fans cry hard enough, but my impression it isn't the case.

Didn't feel too disappointed buying a PS3 just for this (bar few games like uncharted and, so), but then I get everything second handed and the money would've been wasted on some fancy transformer collector toys, or Rockband DLC anyway.
Watch the credits of GT5. To me it makes sense that they took this much time and only have 200+ premium cars after seeing them. It's not exactly a lot of people who worked for this game.

Personally, i believe they don't really listen to the fans. GT is like their own little perfect game (for them, obviously), i think they do whatever the hell they want with it (which isn't exactly what the players want usually).

Quote from jibber :Watch the credits of GT5. To me it makes sense that they took this much time and only have 200+ premium cars after seeing them. It's not exactly a lot of people who worked for this game.

Personally, i believe they don't really listen to the fans. GT is like their own little perfect game (for them, obviously), i think they do whatever the hell they want with it (which isn't exactly what the players want usually).

I wonder what other game that comes into peoples mind when saying that?

(insert cheesy grin here)

I didn't want to mention it, but yes, it was in my mind aswell.

You will never get your bloody rally pack!
How about we run, just for fun obviously, because there is no way of policing it, a weekly time trial competition?.

We could use a randomly selected car and track, run them stock, with comfort hard tyres and no assists.

Any interest?
Quote from danowat :How about we run, just for fun obviously, because there is no way of policing it, a weekly time trial competition?.

We could use a randomly selected car and track, run them stock, with comfort hard tyres and no assists.

Any interest?

How about an LFS Reasonably Priced Car on Top Gear Test Track?

I'm organising it with Syncro-Gaming so have rules outlined already that can be used here if need be - I can't officiate it though as I have a RACE07 championship to run over there too!

The way I've done it over there is to roll onto a standing start, do the lap (make sure it's not a red time) and take a photo with camera/mobile phone and upload it.
I was just thinking, a different combo a week, just for a bit of a laugh.
How about both?

I'm all in for a different combo every week too though. (I was meant to say that in my last post but forgot!)
Whatever is fine with me!
Time Trial leaderboards are coming in a few days, they have to cause GT Academy starts 20th december and the rankings will be made out of the best times from the leaderboards. Other things you're people are mentioning are really not bothering me at all... tuning options? not into that sort of stuff, you're annoyed by some really irrelevant stuff while there are other things to be annoyed about, like lack of tracks etc..
Saving different "tunes" or "setups" is certainly not irrelevent to me, as for the lack of tracks, considering the "career" mode doesn't use all the available tracks, I'd say there was enough....for now.
Well that's another issue, playing it like it's an RPG I'm looking at it from a totally different angle.. avoiding the stupid "skid recovery forced ON" career events..
As for the setups, i'm kinda glad that everyone is forced to use the same one.. what almost 'killed' LFS for me, are the stupid setups that make the car behave totally unrealistic, and you're kinda forced to use them if you want to be competitive..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well that's another issue, playing it like it's an RPG I'm looking at it from a totally different angle.. avoiding the stupid "skid recovery forced ON" career events..

If it was possible to have all the content I paid for, without "playing like an RPG", then I wouldn't bother with career, at all.

The fact is, PD have made it so we all have to trudge (backwards and forwards) down this yellow brick road to unlock content, so its not really a choice is it
Well there is a choice.. i did all the 'less painfull' events like AMG, Top Gear, Nascar, Kart, Licences etc.. and got arround a million credits out of it (with selling the rewards car etc..) Bought myself Eunos Roadster, NSX-R, LFA, 370Z, have the Facebook Jag XJ13, Special Edition Eunos 91 as a licence reward.. and still have like around 400.000cr. Gonna buy more street cars.. so it's plenty of content to play with, until (hopefully) credits are earned through online races..
How can you sell reward cars? My game won't let me sell any car that I have won.....
Quote from BlueFlame :How can you sell reward cars? My game won't let me sell any car that I have won.....

You're doing it wrong, i don't know.. You can't sell all of them but majority of them you can..
So.. I have 6 million credits, have B-Specced my guy through everything almost. Still need the Formula GT.
Quote from GAVD999 :Its the same price at play with free delivery here and its in stock. So tempted to buy it

Cheers, just ordered with HDMI and triggers. Anyone know delivery times? Can't find them and didn't tell me through the order.

EDIT: 3-5 working days!! fml
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Cheers, just ordered with HDMI and triggers. Anyone know delivery times? Can't find them and didn't tell me through the order.

Ordered a fair bit from them and delivery is usually within a couple of days.

Edit : I see you just found out
Just got it, installing now ... 8GB DAMN! 50 secs remaining has been on the screen for much longer then 50 seconds. So I'm killing time on the forum.

PSN: Dyflmez.

Any tips you wish to share to someone starting out with GT5?
Quote from Dygear :J

Any tips you wish to share to someone starting out with GT5?

Buy Mazda Eunos Roadster 89 as a starting car AMG and Top Gear special events are fun.. licences are fun, everything else in the 'career' is a pain..
Yeah, Nascar isn't bad either, Jeff is very generous with the cash and experience points..

Gran Turismo 5
(7862 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG