The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
Quote from hazaky :I dont remember dollar & euro having the same currency

Anyways, i gotta say that im looking forward to PS3 too now. If PS3 had more stuff like instant messaging software or something similar then i would change it for PC - no doubt.

It sucks.

Removes Linux support (which isn't that big of a deal as linux on PS3 is effectively useless, but is still neat to mess around with.)

Ugly as sin! It is gross looking, especially the buttons for Power/Disk Eject and the all black without the chrome or gloss.

Still good as it becomes basically a direct competitor with the Xbox Elite (although PS3 still wins, as it has WiFi whereas the price point, storage are the same).

Now maybe Xbox users will realize with their 54.2 percent failure rate that the PS3 is finally the superior machine.

Edit: Actually in Canada, PS3 is now 300$ CDN for the slim , 360 Elite is 350$CDN and still lacks Wi-Fi.
Quote from hazaky :In one review i heard that there will be no parts or tires that u can change, just the setups (just like in lfs?)

Seems like a nice game tho, i wish i had PS3 in this case.

You were probably reading a review for Prologue. In GT you have always been able to tune your cars by wacking stage 4 turbos straight onto your mazda demio!
I still can't figure out the 1000 cars thing.

Reading between the lines......

830 cars brought over from GT4, does this mean using the same models from GT4 and putting them in GT5, i.e. with no interior modelling and no updated exterior modelling?, and does the 170 new "premium" GT5 models mean you only get 170 cars modelled to GT5 standards?, i.e. interior modelling and updated exterior modelling?.

Its not very clear in the press release.
Quote from danowat :I still can't figure out the 1000 cars thing.

Reading between the lines......

830 cars brought over from GT4, does this mean using the same models from GT4 and putting them in GT5, i.e. with no interior modelling and no updated exterior modelling?, and does the 170 new "premium" GT5 models mean you only get 170 cars modelled to GT5 standards?, i.e. interior modelling and updated exterior modelling?.

Its not very clear in the press release.

It seems so. And if its true, then its a FAIL.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Now maybe Xbox users will realize with their 54.2 percent failure rate that the PS3 is finally the superior machine.

Quote :later in the survey, only 3.8 percent of participants said they'd never buy another Xbox 360 due to its high failure rate

And now go sit in your corner.

On-topic:
I think the 830 cars from GT4 are meant to be cars that were already in GT4, but updated for GT5. It must be that way... otherwise it would look seriously stupid (just imagine a race where some players use the nice and shiny new models, and some use the old GT4 models) and i doubt they'd ever do something like this.
I'll wait to pass judgement untill its confirmed, but it does indeed read like that, but seeing as its a translation from Japanese, it could be an error.

But if it is true, yeah, massive "fail"
Quote from jibber :

And now go sit in your corner.

On-topic:
I think the 830 cars from GT4 are meant to be cars that were already in GT4, but updated for GT5. It must be that way... otherwise it would look seriously stupid (just imagine a race where some players use the nice and shiny new models, and some use the old GT4 models) and i doubt they'd ever do something like this.

This shows a lot about 360 owners. Buying a fundementally flawed, and now less cost effective console. (50$ a year for multiplayer/listening to 12 yearolds call you a homo + 100$ for a Wi-Fi adapter).

I'm not getting into this again, but this cost reduction (at least in America land) makes the Xbox look pretty damn silly (unless you'd like a space heater/ Microsoft sanctioned video game breaks as you have a warranty replacement in progress).
It sounds a bit ambiguous, but I can't imagine them getting away with that. I'm hoping it's just badly translated. I'm not even getting into the fanboy flame war again. My new Jasper model 360 has been fine.

My guess is that all it means is 830 of the cars are just cars that have been in GT4, not the same models or anything, just not new ones. It's possible that the 170 "premium" ones are DLC or exclusives to particular regions or editions of the box. It's also possible that they term has been badly translated and they meant something like "new and unseen".

Still not sure what the point of optional oil changes and car washing is. Who isn't going to start a new race with new oil? I might never wash mine though, see what effect that has

No mention of weather though, which is a bit of a disappointment. Looks like neither Forza 3 or GT5 will let me run through ice and rain at 200mph this time round. Unless it's track-specific where some are always wet or something.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :This shows a lot about 360 owners. Buying a fundementally flawed, and now less cost effective console. (50$ a year for multiplayer/listening to 12 yearolds call you a homo + 100$ for a Wi-Fi adapter).

I'm not getting into this again, but this cost reduction (at least in America land) makes the Xbox look pretty damn silly (unless you'd like a space heater/ Microsoft sanctioned video game breaks as you have a warranty replacement in progress).

Off topic: Dusty, whenever you post, this is what I hear in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbF0YeppSMY
Either that or the Japanese version of the Sailor Moon intro.
Dunno why tho.
FFS, not this sodding fanboy shit again, Dustin, piss off, no one is interested in your rantings, if someone wants to buy a 360, its up to them.

Quote from Dajmin :Still not sure what the point of optional oil changes and car washing is. Who isn't going to start a new race with new oil? I might never wash mine though, see what effect that has

Yeah, it did get kinda pointless with earlier GT's, they only cost a few hundred creds and the oil change didn't do a great deal unless the car had a stack of miles on it, and even then only a few BHP.

Washing it just made it a bit shinier, maybe they have fleshed out this side in GT5?
Off topic: WTF?!

On Topic: GT4 had oil changes and car washes. Oil Changes made minor performance changes and car washes... gave cars a sheen to them.

GT5 will probably be the same, maybe actually making the way you drive affect how much it needs to be washed, but GT4 basically after X KM had performance downgrades needing oil change and slowly made it less sheeny.

This is if I recall correctly, maybe I'm going insane.

P.S. If they buy a 360 even after the PS3 price drop/ known reliability issues with 360, there's only 1 phrase to describe them: Mentally challenged.
Still seems pointless to force you to remember to do things that a pro racing team would do anyway. I'm sure it's not the drivers who arrange the oil changes and washes, or you'd be as well making it a management sim too, where you have to neogtiate sponsorships and contracts as well

And with the 360 getting a rumoured price INCREASE (f*ck knows why), now is the time to get one. Say what you like about online costs or hardware issues (which are now resolved on new models), the online experience is way more streamlined on the MS box.
Quote from Dajmin :Say what you like about online costs or hardware issues (which are now resolved on new models), the online experience is way more streamlined on the MS box.

Nooooo, don't feed that stupid little troll, please! Just ignore him, leave him be and let him spout his trolling, it's no use arguing
Quote from Gills4life :You were probably reading a review for Prologue. In GT you have always been able to tune your cars by wacking stage 4 turbos straight onto your mazda demio!

YEa, it was the prologue review. But ... myea, ok lol.

ive played on PS3 once, didnt feel so bad. But i hate the controls of consoles - hard to play with them unless i get used to them.
I'll wait and get the cheapest one I can, the origional prices are allways mega, I hink the PS2 was £300 here, I waited and paid £199 for it.
Quote from Bawbag :I'll wait and get the cheapest one I can, the origional prices are allways mega, I hink the PS2 was £300 here, I waited and paid £199 for it.

Day 1
Day... 150ish for PS3 though

As for the press release, the 830 im sure will be updated to GT5 standards, including many which have been in the game before (GT5P or earlier). The premium models i'd imagine will be the Ferrari's, and recently announced Lambo's which are making their first (worldwide) appearance, so i'd expect them to be the luxury cars where that extensive extra detail will be appreciated more.
It couldnt possibly be GT4 models in GT5, as that would mean the other 170 'premium' cars would almost all exist in GT5P already which would seem unlikely for a developer to give make around 100 cars for a cut down version, and only make a few more for the full thing, all the while attempting to make a photo realistic sim that using a car library where 80% of them are 4yo car models for a previous generation.... it just doesnt make sense that they're not improved 3D models. So as i say, i'd expect it to be 830 cars of GT5P quality, then some uber HQ ones.
The only FAIL i see, is xbots looking to pick away at something, by taking something that hasnt been said and making something new of it, like implying that not all the cars will have damage... where does it imply all cars might not have full deformation damage?

60 tracks.... NOICE!!

What suprises me that it hasnt been picked up on and hailed as the fantastic news that it is, is....
Faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model
Isnt that what every racer has been waiting for!!!

And people might harp on about LFS not being a photo/screenshot simulator, but screw them cos i like having it in there. I think the only thing im mildly envious of Forza3 is the video editing in-game, which is nice (in the same way photo taking is) but its a feature i can live without. I'd sooner have it in LFS, cos i'd use it FAR more often.

As for improved simulation mode, theres always hope, but at the end of the day i didnt play GT4 as a simulator, and i wont play GT5 as one either, i'll be playing it as a sufficiently accurate racing game-slash-sim which is just fun to play. LFS is where i sim racer, GT5 is my have-a-bit-of-fun racer.
Im just thankful not all dev teams are going the GRID/NFS:Shift path, where everything looks focused on things so horrificly fake and scripted looking, its sickening.

oops, forgot the link i meant to post...
Cam footage from todays GC, shows damage apparently (havent seen yet, paused to post this) and the quality is stable/solid.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-gran-turismo/54450
aww, now i gotta comment after seeing that clip!
Damage looks very impressive, (unlike the drivers driving ) although the door bit does concern me (you'll see). VERY nice touch with the movable objects in there, the red/white barrier that get clipped, and then the lightweight barriers which get knocked around.
I cant recall if ive heard if the damage goes beyond visuals though.
Which will most likely translate to around £225 at Play.com and similar shortly after they're released in 2wks time.

oh, also, whoever mentioned (trolled probably) about the PS3 Slim looking cheap, i'd definately say i wouldnt swap my 60gb PS3 for this Slim model, not on visuals alone, i love the gloss black & chrome and the matt black does look cheaper, however from people who have actually seen them (some news outlets had one delivered yesterday)
ie Joystiq.com
"It's still a hefty system that feels well made, and even though it lacks the gloss black and chrome finish of the original PS3, it's a lot nicer looking in person that the initial photos might have led you to believe."
Quote from PaulC2K :The only FAIL i see, is xbots looking to pick away at something, by taking something that hasnt been said and making something new of it, like implying that not all the cars will have damage... where does it imply all cars might not have full deformation damage?

In the video two posts above your post. Road legal Mitsubishi and Subaru WRC collide. Subaru WRC gets damaged. Road legal Mitsubishi remains as shiny as a brand new car.
Slim looks awesome, period.

On topic, Kazunori just said that definately not all cars will have damage, just some selectable.. (In translation, just rally cars and Nascar probably, which i don't give a damn about at all)

Quote :The next detail Kazunori touched on was regarding damage models. I can confirm that not every car in Gran Turismo 5 will sport damage models -- it will only be select sets. However, Kazunori has yet to decide on a finalized list of featured car types for damage support.

Time to say "I knew it".
Quote from PaulC2K :Cam footage from todays GC, shows damage apparently (havent seen yet, paused to post this) and the quality is stable/solid.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-gran-turismo/54450
aww, now i gotta comment after seeing that clip!
Damage looks very impressive, (unlike the drivers driving ) although the door bit does concern me (you'll see). VERY nice touch with the movable objects in there, the red/white barrier that get clipped, and then the lightweight barriers which get knocked around.
I cant recall if ive heard if the damage goes beyond visuals though.

Driver repeatedely throws the car against a concrete barrier and the only damage he gets is a hanging off front bumper and doors flinging open, but not even a scratch otherwise - you call that impressive? Colin McRae Rally 3 did that shit, and more! That was how many years ago? 5?
Quote from bbman :Driver repeatedely throws the car against a concrete barrier and the only damage he gets is a hanging off front bumper and doors flinging open, but not even a scratch otherwise - you call that impressive? Colin McRae Rally 3 did that shit, and more! That was how many years ago? 5?

... better than throwing it repeatedly against a wall and nothing happening now isn't it mr. negative.

they still have plenty of time to release it. Hopefully they'll add deformation.

Probably just wanted to show that it was in the works... > > You know he won't show us deformations unless it's done right... you should know him..

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG