The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
Quite a bump but this is worthy,

This date is given by Sony Computer Entertainment or by Polyphony Digital.
Dit betekent dus dat we Gran Turismo 5 eindelijk dit jaar kunnen spelen!
This means that Gran Turismo 5 is finally able to play this year!
November 2009 zal de race game waar elke race freak op zit te wachten worden uitgebracht in de UK!
November 2009

I guess you can see the main bits Thats if it doesnt get delayed again...

Due for release on 27/11/2009
http://www.play.com/Games/Play ... an-Turismo-5/Product.html
Interesting news, thanks for the heads up luke!
JEEEZZZZ!!!!1!! this is getting pre-ordered w/ overnight shipping!
untill you hear something from Song i would ignore any release dates
yeah that is not an official date, just shops trying to get preorders and attention that is all!
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Uhh...

PS3Hype writes: 'Yesterday we saw that Play.com was adding a release date for Gran Turismo 5 on their website. But nothing was confirmed by Sony. But today we've received an email from Play.com where they say that they've got the release date from the publisher/manufacturer of the game

imo i think that it is a real release date considering the game's director has been saying that they could release the game at any time.
So does anybody know something about the price?

Will it be around €70,- or something?
Hmmm seems otherwise,
This is from some site lol,

These are some other games for PS3 releasing the same day as Gran Turismo 5 on play.coms site..

The PlayStation titles that we are on the list at 27 November are:
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

- Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time

- Massive Action Game

- White Knight Chronicles

- The Agency.

- Gran Turismo 5

It seems rather a so-called "placeholder" date.
Quote from G!NhO :So does anybody know something about the price?

Will it be around €70,- or something?

Normal price for a PS3 game I imagine.
yup i agree
Gah! bloody wankers took the Sprinter out
LOL if they have taken out the MK1 MR2 for 10 slightly different FWD corolla GTS's i will be ****ing pissed off. Srsly FWD UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AIDS

Taken the sprinter out? Maybe the Levin version, but the Trueno remains, i severly doubt it would ever be removed totally....
Works for me, reading it as we speak
Seems interesting.

Edit : some great speculation there, will be fun to see what right and what's not when the game is out.
Strange, i've tried in Exlporer too, as well as in Opera.. Maybe i need some IGN username to view it?

Can someone paste it here?
Fu*k, still getting 500 erorrs. Maybe it's something to do with this work computer, cause admins banned everything, like Youtube etc..

Can you just PLEASE paste the text here
It will be long, but I will try, I'll edit this post soon with the text

Edit : Done. Mark that the pages had pictures attached to them, so between the lines there usually was a picture to describe it more. But at least you get a little impression about what the text is about. It's mostly just speculations.

Page 1 :

Quote :US, July 9, 2009 - It's been a long time coming, but E3 2009 provided us with our first real look at Gran Turismo 5 in the form of a trailer. While GT5: Prologue gave us little hints at what we can expect from the final game, it's become clear after seeing the trailer that Prologue didn't even scratch the surface of what we can expect from GT5's release.

While the trailer is certainly fantastic (click the link below to watch it if you haven't already, or again for a refresher), running through it with a fine-toothed comb presents us with a couple new clues as to what we'll see in the game. Since Polyphony is being absolutely silent on the game right now we can't get official word on anything, but that doesn't mean that we can't pretend to be Sherlock Holmes and dig up our own details.

Is it Real?
Upon first glance the trailer might almost look too good to be real. I met with Kazunori Yamauchi at E3 to play the PSP version of Gran Turismo and the first thing that I asked him was if the GT5 trailer was real or not. He looked a little confused by the question and basically responded with, "of course it's real".

Slowing down the trailer proves this to be true as you can see some rendering issues and things that wouldn't happen if the trailer was pre-rendered. Here are a couple things that I noticed.

In this section here the cars race down a straightaway lined with trees. If you look at this section in the video you'll notice that while the trees have cast shadows on the ground, they aren't picked up on the cars. While the shadows could have been baked into the scene (read: computed ahead of time and essentially rendered as a texture), if this trailer was going to be pre-rendered then this doesn't seem like a shortcut they would take.

This image is a very pretty shot of a rally car racing through a field, but take a close look at the hay barrels out in the field. Their shadows are rendered through their model, appearing on top of the hay. Any professional rendering software would never cause this error unless a shader was created to ignore the z-buffer or something. So, it's a rendering issue with the build of the engine used for this video (that will undoubtedly be fixed before release).

One last piece of evidence that further proves the trailer is all in-engine is that the flags that you see at the beginning of the video clip through the poles holding them. While this could happen if you didn't set the cloth physics sampling rate high enough in a high-end 3D package, it's unlikely that anyone creating this scene that way would have let this happen. Despite this subtle clipping issue, the cloth physics here are pretty astounding for a current game engine, especially a racing title that doesn't really need anything like this.

Of course, I had to search pretty hard for examples like this as the game looks absolutely incredible, and even these tiny issues may be fixed by the time the game ships, making it all the more closer to being flawless.

Page 2 :

Quote :Damage
One thing that racing fans have been asking for from the Gran Turismo franchise for years has been damage. With the E3 trailer, it was shown that damage would indeed finally make its way into the game.

The big question running around now is if damage only happens while racing in WRC and NASCAR races (we'll come back to those modes in a bit). Judging by the trailer, we still can't tell, though there is a section where damage should have happened if it was enabled during "standard" races. Of course, it could have been turned off for the demo, but still, this certainly helps fuel the flames that damage will only be for rally and NASCAR races.

First, let's take a look at what damage will look like:

You can see here that the car's hood is crumbled and bent out of shape. One thing that Kazunori has said in the past is that if he's going to do damage, he wants to do it right. So we would assume that the hood's crumbling was based on the impact and not simply a model switch, though obviously we can't prove that from the trailer. Still, we'll have damage, at least in some races.

That brings us to a section of the trailer where a couple cars should have collided, but came out unscathed. Now an important thing to note in this bit is that the cars don't actually react to any sort of impact, meaning that the physics engine perhaps didn't catch this collision or that it was so close that the cars didn't actually touch. However, looking at the shots one after the other (these first three are sequential, straight from the trailer) it seems like they should have smacked into each other.

Here you can see the Citroen's front right wheel is right next to the Corvette's rear left, just about to smack it. The Citroen is spinning clockwise in this section if you'll remember. (Click on the screens for an HD version)

In the next frame, the two cars look to be clipping each other. It's hard to make out, but with how close they were in the prior frame, they should be making contact in this frame.

In this next shot you see that the Citroen has passed the rear of the 'Vette, seemingly unscathed, though it looks like the two really should have collided.

This screen from moments later shows that both cars are still in pristine condition.

Now again, there are two things to take with your grains of salt. The first is that damage could have been turned off, possibly to keep the cars in pristine shape until a cool section of the race was captured. The second, and more important note, is that neither car reacted to any sort of impact, with or without damage, so it's possible that they didn't actually collide (or that the game didn't pick it up). So while this doesn't really prove anything either way, it's still a very interesting thing to mull over.

Page 3 :

Quote :Now that I've gone through and picked out the stuff that's, for lack of a better word, broken, let's start looking at the new stuff.

First up:

Drag Racing
Now this could be a complete race track, but it's not very likely. In the following shot, you'll see two cars racing down what looks like an airport runway (which is very likely what it is). There's never been drag racing in a Gran Turismo game before, and while running the 0-60 times is cool, you've only ever been able to compare two cars' acceleration and quarter-mile by way of their leaderboard times. Here, it looks like you be able to go head-to-head with another car in proper form.

Hopefully you'll be able to have the computer use one of your customized rides from your garage instead of a stock vehicle if you want, and we're also hoping for online competitions. But it does look pretty clear from this section of the trailer that one-on-one straightaway racing will be part of the package.

WRC
Rally racing has been in Gran Turismo for a bit now, but it's always been handled as something of an off-shoot mode that you could partake in. This time around, Polyphony has the World Rally Championship license, which should show that it's going to be much more serious in Gran Turismo 5 and a bigger part of the overall experience (though we're sure you can ignore it if you aren't into it).

In the above shot, you can see that catching air will play a part of the rally experience this time. You've been able to do it in the past, though not necessarily to great extent, but it looks like Polyphony will be focusing on this as part of the experience.

Prologue showed us that Polyphony is serious about getting the in-car dashboard views correct (which I'm personally a huge fan of), but this section of the trailer shows you that the driver/navigator relationship in rally races should be present in some fashion, which is cool.

NASCAR
Similar to WRC in some respect, Polyphony has gone out and licensed NASCAR for Gran Turismo 5, complete with the correct cars, sponsors and all that. One interesting bit about NASCAR is that the races feature way more cars than anything we've seen in Gran Turismo before, and unless the game can support 40-some-odd racers, it wouldn't be accurate. Polyphony is not a studio to not adhere to accuracy, so expect huge fields of cars this time, even if it's only in NASCAR races.

Here's a shot of what's to come.

This is but a little tease as to how big some of the NASCAR fields could wind up being.

Only the Beginning
Since E3, Kazunori has said that the trailer was only a small taste of what Polyphony Digital has planned. With the base Gran Turismo experience already being huge, and then tacking on drag racing, WRC and NASCAR, we're not too sure of what else could be added.

Whatever it is, we can't wait.

Thanks alot Didn't know it's that long, sorry

So, IGN is just speculating.. ok. Don't know why they were surprised that trailer was not pre-rendered? GT always looked beautifull, but don't let this fulls you. "In-engine" means that it's in-engine alright, but for these purposes (trailers, etc) they are using more Anti-aliasing and other tecniques that are not used while you are actually racing.. but it will look astonishing, no doubt about it..
As for damage, unfortunately i also think it's just for WRC and Nascar That sucks, i think i will barely drive those modes. I have RBR for rally, and i hate Nascar.. so i really need damage in normal cars..
The only reasonable reason to not have damage enabled in other than WRC and Nascar would be performance and lisencence troubles. Think that 12-16 cars with damage would be a little too much for the PS3, while the other car companies never would agree on having an all-out damage system.
Quote from The Very End :Think that 12-16 cars with damage would be a little too much for the PS3

Naah, don't make me go into the PS3 fanboy mode now The Cell processor is a beast, it would do just fine..

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG