The online racing simulator
So five years for a racing game that has 1000 highly detailed cars and tracks, is forever.. but 10 years for SC2, 5 years for GTA IV, etc.. isn't..
It's just a mistranslation error

By Interior they mean the engine bay. So "premium" just means race cars and such. When these cars get damaged, the bonnet can come off and things can fall off, hence the need for the engine to be modelled. The standard cars just get cosmetic external damage.

They really need a translator that understands the game and cars in general, and can read between the lines when it comes to English words....

here is another interview
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/n ... 8/kazunori_interview.html

Quote :We have seen preview pictures and videos of Gran Turismo 5 that feature new cars such as the Ferrari 458 Italia, Lamborghini Gallardo and Mercedes SLS. These are pretty exciting models - are there any more cars that are still to come?

Yes, we’re holding back more exciting models for when the game is released.

A Japanese release date of March was announced for GT5, but this didn’t happen, can you offer any explanation why?

Deciding a release date for a game is always difficult, as it’s not something I can decide on my own. The agreement on a date comes between various parties at Sony, and it’s not necessarily a date I would be hoping for.

Would you have liked GT5 to be released by now?

Actually, I think that March would've been too early. We could have produced the game in time to make that deadline, but the finished product wouldn’t have had everything that I wanted to include.

Quote :Are there any car makers that won’t be appearing in GT5 that you’d like to see in GT6?

GT5 will have a few historic models in it, but looking back at automotive history there are a lot of cars that would be nice to have. I couldn’t narrow it down to one manufacturer, but Porsche is definitely at the top of my wish list.

and one from TopGear - he must be stuck in the UK due to the Volcano
http://www.topgear.com/UK/phot ... -gran-turismo-5?imageNo=0

Quote :How did you map out the TopGear test track on Gran Turismo 5?

We had a helicopter taking aerial photographs of the circuit, and had ground crews taking photos and measurements of the track all the way around. It took about three to four days to finish the whole thing.

What did you think of the TG track?

I tried driving it myself, but it's really hard to find the driving line. It's so wide that it becomes difficult to find markers and visual points. It was only after I sat with The Stig as a passenger that I finally realised where all the turn-in points and the correct driving lines were.

Quote from PaulC2K :Until they make an official statement, then i'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Agreed. So many people are making claims about what is and isn't in the game that the only info that you should believe is that from PD itself, but Kaz is being tight-lipped as per usual. Until Kaz says "this and that are in, this isn't", it's all speculation and should, as you say, be taken with a pinch of salt.

Quote from Boris Lozac :So five years for a racing game that has 1000 highly detailed cars and tracks, is forever.. but 10 years for SC2, 5 years for GTA IV, etc.. isn't..

Not to mention GT3 came out early/mid 2001 and 4 late 2004/early 2005, which is nearly four years. Five years for the move to a next-gen console is perfectly reasonable.

For reference, the NA release dates of GTs 1, 2, 3 and 4:
GT1 May 12, 1998
GT2 Dec 23, 1999 (~ 1.5 yr)
GT3 July 10, 2001 (~ 1.5 yr)
GT4 Feb 22, 2005 (~ 3.5 yr)

One of the main reasons GT3 was released that shortly after 2 is that it has a fifth of the cars. Had PD upgraded everything in GT2 (meaning 800 cars instead of 150-odd), GT3 wouldn't have been released until late 2002/early 2003 at the earliest. With that in mind, I have no problem with a 2010/Q1 2011 (Jan-March) release date for 5 as making the transition from PS2 to PS3 while adding in more vehicles and tracks as well as other goodies such as damage, weather (we hope), interior view isn't something you can do in two weeks.

Could be worse, be grateful this isn't Half-Life 2 EP3 we're talking about...
Finally some info!

some Japanese interview with Kaz
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6557748

Quote :In an interview with Japanese show “Love Cars!”, Yamauchi hinted at updates to GT5’s damage modeling:

“In GT5, NASCAR cars will able to smash into little pieces – some the size of a bolt.”

This sounds like a significant progression from what we’ve seen on the WRC cars so far, and it actually isn’t the first time he has mentioned a more violent damage model. He also states he will be able to reveal the release date of the game “soon” (presumably at E3 in June). The problem is that this interview is on video, so we can’t rely on bungled Google translations to see if there’s any other tidbits that we might be missing. You can see the full unedited clip right here, so if you speak Japanese, please check it out and let me know if you hear anything else of interest.

Thanks to Denur for the tip, and Famine for the clarified translation above!

Quote :My other friend who knows japanese talking with me to translate it..He translate abit and he continues

-well so far their discussing how they are translating the physics of the real cars to the game this time

-well to be more precise their talking about traction & body roll
their ---now saying how the ps3 is the only console that can run the physics and even a good PC would struggle

-now about efficent streamning of the physics data using the consoles cels and also how it would work over the internet

-going into more detail their explaining that with the improving broadband they are able to allow more & more players to race each other.

-They say that their have been problems with wall bouncing & spinning other drivers out in prologue and this will be addressed for sure by the time of release

Interview is 37 mins long, so there is still more to be translated
Quote :--now saying how the ps3 is the only console that can run the physics and even a good PC would struggle

that sounds like a load of crap, because i was reading an article that said that the ps3 (or the 360 for that matter) doesn't even use half of it's resources...
Quote from bunder9999 :that sounds like a load of crap, because i was reading an article that said that the ps3 (or the 360 for that matter) doesn't even use half of it's resources...

Well it has a CPU and 7 seperate Cell cores. That's quite a bit of grunt on tap. Not many PC games now even use 4 cores at full throttle, least of all any PC driving/race sim...
As for raw power, a PS3 does seem to be able to render 3D a lot faster than a PC CPU. Much like how GPU 3D rendering on the PC using Cuda is like 10-20x faster than even the fastest chip Intel has. Scenes that take 8+ hours on an unbiased renderer with an overclocked 6 core Intel chip, gets done in 15-30mins on a GPU

Plus the Cell units can do a kind of antialiasing that even PC video cards can't do, and hopefully GT5 will use it, like in GOW3, so that there will be no difference in smoothness between gameplay and photomode
Quote from CoolColJ :Well it has a CPU and 7 seperate Cell cores. That's quite a bit of grunt on tap. Not many PC games now even use 4 cores at full throttle, least of all any PC driving/race sim...

Because it doesn't require that much CPU power to run a decent sim.

If Grand Turismo uses that much computing power to achieve only half decent results, than they probably should fire the entire physics department.
I'm guessing running physics for 16 cars, and 15 AI, and dynamic contact and crash damage, plus recording all of this for replays, at a high fidelity requires a fair bit of CPU grunt
Quote from gtpsharky :Agreed. So many people are making claims about what is and isn't in the game that the only info that you should believe is that from PD itself, but Kaz is being tight-lipped as per usual. Until Kaz says "this and that are in, this isn't", it's all speculation and should, as you say, be taken with a pinch of salt.

Not to mention GT3 came out early/mid 2001 and 4 late 2004/early 2005, which is nearly four years. Five years for the move to a next-gen console is perfectly reasonable.

For reference, the NA release dates of GTs 1, 2, 3 and 4:
GT1 May 12, 1998
GT2 Dec 23, 1999 (~ 1.5 yr)
GT3 July 10, 2001 (~ 1.5 yr)
GT4 Feb 22, 2005 (~ 3.5 yr)

One of the main reasons GT3 was released that shortly after 2 is that it has a fifth of the cars. Had PD upgraded everything in GT2 (meaning 800 cars instead of 150-odd), GT3 wouldn't have been released until late 2002/early 2003 at the earliest. With that in mind, I have no problem with a 2010/Q1 2011 (Jan-March) release date for 5 as making the transition from PS2 to PS3 while adding in more vehicles and tracks as well as other goodies such as damage, weather (we hope), interior view isn't something you can do in two weeks.

Could be worse, be grateful this isn't Half-Life 2 EP3 we're talking about...

For me though GT3 was probably the best in the series, there taking considerably longer for each one after, i would prefer if they make every 2nd one half the game like GT3 and then a full blown one later on like GT4, we are really only going to get 1 Gran turismo for the PS3 becuase of this.
Any hint at a release date yet?
Quote from danowat :Any hint at a release date yet?

*insert predictable "just before S3!" quip here*
Quote from danowat :Any hint at a release date yet?

Reports suggest September-ish. Although this is PD, so it's probably more like December. lol
Quote from gtpsharky :Although this is PD, so it's probably more like December. lol

Yeah... December 2011
hopefully not december 2012
Does it even have a Scirroco?
Quote :
Finally some info!
some Japanese interview with Kaz
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6557748

Quote :My other friend who knows japanese talking with me to translate it..He translate abit and he continues

-well so far their discussing how they are translating the physics of the real cars to the game this time
-well to be more precise their talking about traction & body roll
their ---now saying how the ps3 is the only console that can run the physics and even a good PC would struggle
-now about efficent streamning of the physics data using the consoles cels and also how it would work over the internet
-going into more detail their explaining that with the improving broadband they are able to allow more & more players to race each other.
-They say that their have been problems with wall bouncing & spinning other drivers out in prologue and this will be addressed for sure by the time of release

more translations

-well its a tit bit but their saying the game will feature Auctions of cars by them and us so its may be a good way to get the really rare ones

-another tit bit is that they are going to continue to give upgrades & updates to Prologue right up to release

-Microphone communication between players online

-The Pit Crew will be fully ready and implemented for GT5 as seen in some trailers

-The Game will have some region specific cars

more to come
here is a pic someone took of the Ring, SLS demo that have been set up at Mercedes dealerships

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7373/dsc00583k.jpg

and his impressions

Quote :Just ran a few laps on the Nordschleife with the SLS at my local Mercedes dealer and what a blast it is.

You can now 'feel' every bump in the road and it looks like there are more than in GT4 (so not a one-on-one port). The SLS requires delicate throttle and break control, even in standard mode. The AI clearly have made a step up from Prologue, they are well aware of the other cars in the field and will try to avoid a collision. Which is a good thing, because even the slightest touch results in a spin-out. And this is good news for the online races, because tapping a car from behind (e.g. at the end of a straight) results in you losing the car.

But I do hope that this strict collision behavior can be turned off in private rooms, because it is not very realistic.

Completely different from the TT. Which should not be a surprise given the different track and car.

Maybe next week someone can come along, shoot a video and show how the car and AI behave. (I know that MarcoM has a video camera).

Here is one of the stills I took. (the rest are crap)
I forgot to mention, there is no replay option in this demo, so video has to be made while racing.

Oh yes, it shakes in cockpit view. Almost as good as the RTR racing demo by Simbin (if you are familiar with that)

But no, I don't think the graphics were better than the other tracks we have seen so far in the other GT5 demos. The barriers are still 2D, as are the trees. But the overall graphical experience while racing, borders on nothing less than breathtaking. The immersion is absolute and that is enough for me.

Hmmz, in the video I watched the other day, the RL racing driver at the helm had no no issues ramming other cars at speed
more from the guy above

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5393/dsc00600xu.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7396/dsc00601x.jpg

Quote :Today I had a second session at my local Mercedes dealer (the first one I described in the general news thread) and came well prepared this time (racing shoes iso leather-soled dress shoes). I changed the FFB to 7 (iso 5), steering to simulation and only raced in cockpit view, with all aids off, in pro-mode and without racing line.
The difference from last Friday was amazing! For the first time in a GT game I felt that I was really driving that car. The physics seem to be spot on (seem, because for some mysterious reason I haven't driven a real SLS yet) and the graphics are at par with what we have seen from Tokyo.

Braking, down shifting and lifting off from the brake pedal now really play a role. Do this too late and the car does not shift its weight and under-steers.

The AI is timid when it must be and will not force its way passed you when there is not enough room. At one point a train of cars had formed behind me, not unlike what we will see this weekend at Monaco's GP. But once they decide to pass you, they go for it, and things get really tricky. Don't flank them, because you will spin, not them. So don't play that cop in a police chase trying to bring the fugitive into a spin by hitting the his car on the rear flank (seems to me to be a replacement for the penalty system in Prologue).

And on a final note: It looks like the damage model is enabled in this demo (not visual though). After I had a number of hits with both cars and barriers, the car became very hard to control. In Prologue this happens when you enter and leave the track (grass, gravel), but after a while grip comes back. This does not happen in this SLS demo (a fellow Dutchman - WhiteAnimal166 - describes the same experience). I will check this behavior on a next session....

Quote :Stay off the grass! Once you hit the grass, lift off immediately and slowly steer back to the track. But it is not as bad as the yellow tarmac in the GT Academy TT. The SLS negotiates the bumps quite well, but you must be careful: don't go too fast and enter a bump in a straight line (which makes sense in real life driving too). I find the high curbs (like in T1) much more unforgiving than in GT4.
I don't know (yet) about the tire modeling. So far I have only tried R2 and R3 (R2 is the default setting). I am not a very good racer and those racing tires are just fine for me. But the SLS is a road car, so sports tires should be the choice. Maybe they were lazy with the general car setup (i.e. suspension) for this demo.

Edit> I didn't see any image tearing last Friday, nor today. If only I could play this demo on my own system at home and confirm that they have tackled this problem, and that the image tearing not limited to setups like my own.

and a new video from the Mimaximax dude - he finally got a tripod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVkQ_UWcKkU
Large and awesome pictures ahead..

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG