The online racing simulator
Quote from Boris Lozac :Oh my god, this game keeps on reminding me why i'm avoiding it's 'career' mode.. That night race with Murcielago in Grand Tour Special event.. jeeez, i had to restart it couple of times because i couldn't freakin see where i was going.. and the handling, oh my god the handling.. finally i couldn't be bothered to do it again and went with the bronze.

Turn the driving line on and max out the EV
Yeah night is way too dark. Night on the Ring is scary!

Quote from Boris Lozac :So, what cars do you people found the best in the game, meaning that it feels like they haven't rushed them physics wise... I'm interested in Premium cars only.

The FFB on the Renault Clio Sport V6 feels good. With the aero add ons and sports suspension. It seems the FFB varies from car to car, but on this one it chatters a bit like in iRacing. Especially on the Mount Aso track generator theme. Maybe the of suspension settings is not damping the springs enough or something, but you can see, hear and feel the car vibrate on some fo the runs and elevation changes.
The wheel goes light when you understeer and when you go airbourne.
I have driven this car in Prologue and it feels totally different, especially in how the oversteer feels, and there is more grip now on Hard Sports tyres

BTW they don't model the physics to each car individually. They just enter the stats of the car into the physics engine, and it takes care of the rest. So it isn't scripted like in some games/mods
In the Top gear magazine article Kaz mentioned this. He said they found that if the stats are entered correctly the cars behave like they do in the real world

I think all the cars all handle and feel different in the game, not all cars in real life feel good to drive.
Quote from CoolColJ :He said they found that if the stats are entered correctly the cars behave like they do in the real world

Do you really think that's true?

I mean, let's just assume that the odd handling cars simply are a result of improper data input, specifications and stats which aren't 100% accurate. Fair enough, but it never looks 100% convincing.

It's good enough to be fun and the replays look decent, but cars don't quite pitch and roll enough. Watch some Best Motoring where they're driving MX5/Miata/EunosRoadsters and then watch the same in GT5 - there's a clear difference, it's the same across them all, though. Cars with stock suspension don't pitch on upshifts enough, or on braking and body roll isn't there to the correct extent imo. Some of these standard and old cars should be on their door-handles round corners, and quick changes of direction should result in an obvious violent weight transfer, but you don't quite get that. Cars seem too light, or too stiffly sprung, across the board. Even the kubelwagen and vw van corner impossibly flat.

It's fun, but let's not kid ourselves
Quote from sinbad :Do you really think that's true?

I mean, let's just assume that the odd handling cars simply are a result of improper data input, specifications and stats which aren't 100% accurate. Fair enough, but it never looks 100% convincing.

It's good enough to be fun and the replays look decent, but cars don't quite pitch and roll enough. Watch some Best Motoring where they're driving MX5/Miata/EunosRoadsters and then watch the same in GT5 - there's a clear difference, it's the same across them all, though. Cars with stock suspension don't pitch on upshifts enough, or on braking and body roll isn't there to the correct extent imo. Some of these standard and old cars should be on their door-handles round corners, and quick changes of direction should result in an obvious violent weight transfer, but you don't quite get that. Cars seem too light, or too stiffly sprung, across the board. Even the kubelwagen and vw van corner impossibly flat.

It's fun, but let's not kid ourselves

Yeah sometimes it feels that way

I thought the 370z in the Time trial did pitch quite a bit in the cockpit view, both in braking and accelerating, you could feel the nose rise
When I watch the AI cars in the classic races, while driving, they do seem to pitch and roll around a lot. More so than the newer cars

And you can see this red AI Integra type R braking in my video, it does pitch forward quite a bit at 0:29. Front suspension compressing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yQfJqFSjvU

Plus that freeze frame comparison I made with a Best Motoring video of the 300zx. Maybe it's the camera angles or something else that doesn't make it seem so

from this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nR8zsr2pU4
Man I'm missing my Speedline wheels from GT4.

I know the wheel selection varies from car to car, some of my cars have almost double the number of rim choices, but most of them are these chromey, shiny and metallic wheels.

Rally cars, hot hatches and race cars just look odd with these rims!
There doesn't appear to be any plain 5, 6 and 8 spoke Speedline style rims for that tougher motorsport look. Ala the Prodrive 555 Subara WRC days

Quote from sinbad :Yeah, I'm not saying it's that bad and of course body movement is present, but anyway to illustrate the MX5 comparison I dug out the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... sE44M&feature=related (go to about 2:10).

yeah I noted a while back the real Mclaren F1 rolls more than one in GT5, from official videos I've seen. I don't have it ingame yet
F1 Time attack at Tsukuba. Anyone have it ingame? Do a comparison?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcRY15toko0

GT Academy rego has started, plus damage patch today
http://blog.us.playstation.com ... egistration-starts-today/
here's a car I'm working on

1.03 patch just got pushed out (It came up in the midst of a licence test.. causing me to crash.. ).
WOW, patch 1.03 :hyper: Mechanical damage for online mode!

Works insanely good!
Boris, you mean well. It works insanely well.
My Clio Sport V6 not only looks messed up but feels and sounds it too.
If you go into the pits, the cosmetic damage stays but the mechanical gets repaired I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaBZaFp0RQQ

I didn't try it with my wheel so don't know if the FFB is changed as well, which I suspect it might with the car vibrating and stuff
Mech damage for online only?, why?, at least give us the OPTION to enable it for offline play too.

@CoolColJ, sent you a "silver", also tried to join your lounge, but it said wrong version

@Gabkicks, also tried to join your lounge this morning, but it was full
Quote from danowat :Mech damage for online only?, why?, at least give us the OPTION to enable it for offline play too.

@CoolColJ, sent you a "silver", also tried to join your lounge, but it said wrong version

@Gabkicks, also tried to join your lounge this morning, but it was full

Thanks
Yeah I'm on v3.55 PS3 firmware and V1.03 GT5

Someone mentioned gaps in the skid marks indicating that the tires are losing and regaining traction with the road, in my video.
I didn't notice that until he pointed it out
Odd, so was I, had just updated to the latest patch and system update.
Quote from danowat :Odd, so was I, had just updated to the latest patch and system update.

Weird, maybe the servers still need to be updated or something

I found an easy cash cow with B-Spec for now, until I get my level higher
The Supercar race on Daytona in the Professional tier
Bring a Stealth Mazda 787B or equalient, and just let the AI run around for 6 laps on his own, easy $15,000 credits, rinse and repeat. Cash, experience, and leveling all in one
$15,000 is hardly big money, much rather do the daytona in A-spec. For B-spec lvl grinding the Expert European championship can yield 10K lvl point every 20 or so minutes with any prototype. and because 2 driver can enter, it upgrades two driver at the same.
Hi guys,

after a long time off the forum I've come back to to find out about GT5, I was a big fan of the GT series and having completed GT, GT2 and GT3 missing out on GT 4 I am thinking of getting myself a treat this xmas, a PS3 with GT5.

Having been digging around on the internet through reviews i have not been able to find a review good enough which shows off GT5 with a G25 Logitech, it has mainly been about th cars, graphics and gameplay assessed with the joypad with very little mention of what the game plays like with a wheel.

So I have come here to find out from the actual people playing it assuming most of you have a wheel. Please could you write a small review or point me to a review where they have played GT5 with a wheel. I will only play GT5 with a wheel, i refuse to go to the d pad! I have tried to read as many posts as possible to find out but either I have missed the key posts or people haven't really said much about their experience playign GT with a wheel.

I would appreciate some info before I would invest into the hardware and software.

Thanks

Pete
Its quite a bit better with a wheel, than without.

Although playing with a wheel doesn't cure many of its other faults.....
Quote from danowat :Its quite a bit better with a wheel, than without.

Although playing with a wheel doesn't cure many of its other faults.....

Ohh come on, did you try for more than five minutes? I've played with the wheel for more than a week now and depending on car/tires i still catch myself being positively surprised at small details in the physics/force feedback. Give it some more time with a wheel, the joypad makes this game feel like Mario Kart.

What faults exactly?
Do I really need to re-tread ALL of GT5's faults again?, no matter what input device you use, the faults are still there.

I think you've mis-read my post.
Quote from JJ72 :$15,000 is hardly big money, much rather do the daytona in A-spec. For B-spec lvl grinding the Expert European championship can yield 10K lvl point every 20 or so minutes with any prototype. and because 2 driver can enter, it upgrades two driver at the same.

My B-Spec level isn't high enough yet. Plus my B-Spec cash cow is when you have GT5 running in the background while you browse the web or do something else

--

Anyway GT5 feels like a different game with a wheel vs the control pad. Strange, but a lot of stuff you just can't sense with a pad.
Like the floating feeling you get on the wheel, going light, when you go over jumps. I only noticed that yesterday, you discover these little details that might not be so obvious in one car, but will be another car.
So it's a big step up for a GT game, in this area
New patch messed up my PS3 apparently. Whenever I press the X button to accept something i have to press the PS button before it actually does something. Great!
Does anyone know what was included in the patch?
Quote from 91mason91 :Does anyone know what was included in the patch?

Online mechanical damage options mainly

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG