The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :Online mechanical damage options mainly

I meant the firmware update but thanks for the info. Would of though PD might of introduced some other stuff with it.
Security update for recent jailbreaks apparently
Tried this game today with a friend of mine, we tried the autumn ring (mini?) with the kart. Damn fun! The ForceFeedback seemed completely apeshit, the kart uncontrollable (after 10 laps it were controllable, I lied)... BUT! What a joy! The driving feeling is just a lot of fun, and even if it were just time trail I had a great time togheter with my mate. Did a 40.116 time, with standard setup and all. Is that ok?

Wonder if I should buy a PS3 cheap (used?) with this game!
So would you guys say it is good with the wheel? I mean enjoyable like LFS is with a wheel? Would you guys recommend getting a PS3 just for GT5?

I love car games, have done ever since my F196 PSX days and having owned most os the serious racing titles out there I really must keep the tradition going but as it is a lot of money to throw at a console and a game I need to know whether it is actually worth while or whether I am better of playing something else.

Pete
After the little time I got to test this, I would say YES! It's not as great as LFS, but it's great fun. That's what GT games are about - fun. They claim to be SIMs, but I prefer to call them somewhere between NFS and LFS, even so it's not at bad game at all.
Quote from Madman_CZ :So would you guys say it is good with the wheel? I mean enjoyable like LFS is with a wheel? Would you guys recommend getting a PS3 just for GT5?

I'd say definately, as i said many times before, it's worth it just for time trialing the Ring..
Do you consider rFactor a sim? I find GT5 better then rFactor.. on the other hand compared to LFS it feels like you're typing on a keyboard with some gloves that's my best example, so not as 'detailed' as LFS maybe, but definately worthy to call it a sim..
Getting slighly convinced to buying it, now just have to convince my other half that PS3 and GT5 is really something our home needs.. any ideas how lol?

I now read tons of reviews that are available, can someone confirm the situation with the in car cockpits? some say that not all cars have modelled cockpits which would really suck, exactly how many cars would be nice to know, I guess there will always be plenty of cars to choose from that actually have cockpit so I can just avoid playing with the ones that do not, but still I feel to play a race sim with no cockpit view is less immersive.

Also as I am a PS3 newb, how much hard disk space is required for it to install or how much hard disk space would you guys recommend I should get with my PS3?

I've no idea, back in my PSX days i didnt have to think about that, only how many blocks my save would take up on my 32mb memory card

Thanks

Pete
Around 200+ cars are Premiums, meaning with cockpits and much more detailed than other 800..
As for the space, GT5 requiers around 10gb.. so you're fine, you can't find the PS3 now that has less then 120gb..
About 20% have cockpit view. Every "used car" is a standard, with no cockpit view. About 8GB to install, don't worry about HDD size unless you'll be buying dozens of games and playing them simultaneously.
Boris - does all cars have cockpits? I think he wondered about if all cars had that As I understand your reply every car has it, it's just more detailed in the premium ones?

Edit: ah.. beaten
Hmm well it's true then, that kinda sucks considering how long they have spent on developing this game, i looked forward to picking up a used banger and burning some rubber on the track with cockpit view. I was used to bumber view back in the day I was actively playing GT, it is LFS that has forced me to go inside as it's just much more immersive and enjoyable.

I guess this down side of GT 5 is outweighet by the other plus points although I still think that a bumber view in a car game (any car game) should be banned as the whole point of the car game is to immerse yourself into a race and that means having the enviroment around you that you would have in real life, I dont get why atleast they couldnt have modelled some lower poly cockpits.

The damage from all the vids that I have seen is also in tiers, meaning the older the car the simpler the damage, with the premiums having the most detailed damage of all. Again, kinda silly, either have full damage on all cars or none at all like the other GTs.

Still, the whole point is not to crash

We still all play LFS and it has no damage.

Btw, thanks for your replies.

Pete
With yesterdays patch damage is awesome now, probably better then LFS.. frontal hit in the fence totally rendered my car useless, it didn't die, but it was totally undrivable, engine was behaving like you're accelerating in 6th gear from stand still.. cars pull to one side depending where you crashed them etc, engine makes some wierd noisse, you hear things clacking.. It only works Online now, which is perfectly fine, who needs damage in time trial, and AI races are a pain anyway.. no need to make them more painfull..
Really? has any one got some good videos of damage after patch and gameplay?

Well the ai races i guess are a big part of the game, shame that they have not sorted that out properly.

Pete
Quote from JJ72 :$15,000 is hardly big money, much rather do the daytona in A-spec. For B-spec lvl grinding the Expert European championship can yield 10K lvl point every 20 or so minutes with any prototype. and because 2 driver can enter, it upgrades two driver at the same.

The American Challenge at Indy. $98,000 and 4000 XP in about 4 minutes. which means 400,000~ and 16,000 XP every 20 minutes. Take a corvette RM'd and it's easy pickings.

(A Spec BTW)
Quote from Rikje :New patch messed up my PS3 apparently. Whenever I press the X button to accept something i have to press the PS button before it actually does something. Great!

If you leave your foot on the gas in the menus this happens.
Quote from Madman_CZ :Really? has any one got some good videos of damage after patch and gameplay?

Well the ai races i guess are a big part of the game, shame that they have not sorted that out properly.

Pete

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1525000#post1525000

---

Anyway I figured out a way to get infinite paint chips

If you have 2 PS3 accounts, have GT5 for each one, and have the other account as a friend for each.
Then just gift a car from one to the other. You'll receive the car in the other account through the machine delivery button.
You get the car and 1 paint chip. Now gift the car back to the original account, plus the paint chip.

You will receive back the car in the original account, recieve the paint chip sent, and get another paint chip when you recieve the car via machine delivery!

Can only do this once a day though
Quote from CoolColJ :http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1525000#post1525000

---

Anyway I figured out a way to get infinite paint chips

If you have 2 PS3 accounts, have GT5 for each one, and have the other account as a friend for each.
Then just gift a car from one to the other. You'll receive the car in the other account through the machine delivery button.
You get the car and 1 paint chip. Now gift the car back to the original account, plus the paint chip.

You will receive back the car in the original account, recieve the paint chip sent, and get another paint chip when you recieve the car via machine delivery!

Can only do this once a day though

Only thing missing in this post is..

Quote from Boris Lozac :Only thing missing in this post is..

And INFINITE PAINT CHIPS
Someone draw a 4 panel comic perhaps? xD
At what level do you keep your FF? I set it up at 7 cause a friend told me it's best.. but now i'm reading on GTP that anything above 1 or 2 adds those canned effects, you know the ones we disable in Control Panel for PC sims..
Quote from Boris Lozac :With yesterdays patch damage is awesome now, probably better then LFS.. frontal hit in the fence totally rendered my car useless, it didn't die, but it was totally undrivable, engine was behaving like you're accelerating in 6th gear from stand still.. cars pull to one side depending where you crashed them etc, engine makes some wierd noisse, you hear things clacking.. It only works Online now, which is perfectly fine, who needs damage in time trial, and AI races are a pain anyway.. no need to make them more painfull..

Just like Forzas damage actually. Funny how you flamed it all that time, now your excited about damage physics that are identical to Forza 3 and Forza 2.

Anyhoo

I have been racing the karts online and they are fantastic, the only really bad thing I find with the physics is that you can draft other cars from way too far behind but, two tracks that are really fun with the kart. Monaco, it's a tight track that requires braking in some points (which is what you want with the kart), tracks [like the default kart tracks] where you can go flat out everywhere are not skill testers, anyone with a smooth hand can win.

Aside from Monaco, the Madrid short(mini) course and also Tsukuba are very good Kart tracks. Autumn ring Mini is good but I find it's more tedius than other tracks, it's teh smallest track in length but the width of the track makes it alot easier in the kart that you would think.

I sometimes have a lobby open called "No Assists [Karts]" my PSN is ShakenBetty but my question about PSN is why can't you invite or join others games? I don't see an option to do so.

PS: Almost everyone has the Kart, theres no need for any HP or weight restrictions, anyone can make a lobby and just have a race so long as the track tests peoples brake pedal (IMO). Also with the kart you can't do any setup work (other than reduce the final drive [which is pointless as you reach the top speed in no time anyway]) so everyone is on an equal playing field, if they are last it is because they suck, not because they don't have an uber wr setup.

And if anyone knows of any other tracks that are decent with the kart, let me know!
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from BlueFlame :Just like Forzas damage actually. Funny how you flamed it all that time, now your excited about damage physics that are identical to Forza 3 and Forza 2.

I don't get it, when have i flamed Forza's damage? I only know it has canned visual damage, have no idea how it is mechanically..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't get it, when have i flamed Forza's damage? I only know it has canned visual damage, have no idea how it is mechanically..

No, the fact you flamed Forza at all. In many cases Forza is a complete game. Not a public beta like GT5 seems to be.
Quote from brandons48 :BlueFlame@ At the main GTLife screen, go over to community, find one of your buddies, and if they're racing online there will be a little exclamation mark by the "lounge" icon (I think it's a coffee mug) and if you select that you can join them.

Thanks but one would assume these options would be via the PS button.. strange...

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG