The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :Why not calibrate your clutch so it's very sensitive, that way, 40-50% down the pedal is full clutch anyway, alllows for faster clutch movements.

How do you do that in gt5?
Quote from BigPeBe :First of all the most annoying is probably the very weird camera shake effect when using incar camera, I just cannot understand what it is trying to simulate and it just made seeing hard and I bet I even could get a headache from it.

This. I keep trying to use the incar camera but the shake just drives me mad. The bumper view shakes a bit too, but not nearly as much as the incar view. The original unpatched Prologue didn't have any shaking, but after some patch, they added it and seems like it has sneaked in to GT5 too. It just renders the beautiful cockpits pretty much useless, well done PD.
I have no idea what you're guys talking about.. Cockpit camera like in any other game, haven't noticed any shakings that would make me go sick, and i'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I have no idea what you're guys talking about.. Cockpit camera like in any other game, haven't noticed any shakings that would make me go sick, and i'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that..

Try something fast like a Zonda R on bumpier tracks, it shakes like hell on Rome, which isn't helped by the low FPS already.
Yeah, I'd use cockpit but it shakes too much (and I feel like I can't see as much as I can in other Sims).. I've relegated myself to bumper cam.

P.S. When the hell did the 24 hour races actually fade to night?! I woke up this morning to see my B-Spec drivers bombing around La Sarthe at night!
Quote from Hyperactive :How do you do that in gt5?

I don't know if you can, I've not hooked up my G25 to GT5, I was just thinking out loud as in, if you can do it, then see how it is with it setup like that. I guess that means you can't do it on GT5, which sucks.
Quote from JJ72 :Try something fast like a Zonda R on bumpier tracks, it shakes like hell on Rome, which isn't helped by the low FPS already.

I drive Ring mostly, which is shaky as hell, and i have no problems with fast cars really Usually i'm the one to notice stuff like that, but i'm not bothered here honestly..
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Yeah, I'd use cockpit but it shakes too much (and I feel like I can't see as much as I can in other Sims).. I've relegated myself to bumper cam.

P.S. When the hell did the 24 hour races actually fade to night?! I woke up this morning to see my B-Spec drivers bombing around La Sarthe at night!

Since always.
Even in the slower cars I think the shaking is very visible. I myself usually use incar camera without any G-force emulations or effects whatsoever so these camera movements annoy me quite easily. For me it's easiest to "feel" the movement of car with solid camera, because then the visible movement is the actual car moving, not the camera.

-EDIT- This video shows the shaking and weird camera movement quite clearly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoP38704tuc

Seems like camera shakes always when the car goes near or over the limit.
Quote from Matrixi :This. I keep trying to use the incar camera but the shake just drives me mad. The bumper view shakes a bit too, but not nearly as much as the incar view. The original unpatched Prologue didn't have any shaking, but after some patch, they added it and seems like it has sneaked in to GT5 too. It just renders the beautiful cockpits pretty much useless, well done PD.

See 11:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85795KdjQo

Kaz is just trying to replicate his experiences racing at the 24 hour Nurburgring, you get shaken to bits in a race car.

I found Prologue sterile as hell, due to the too stable cockpits. There are a lot of things we don't feel in a game, so the visual imformation helps
Sorry, but that is just.. no. :nol2:

Your vision doesn't get blurred of shaking at 100 km/h in a stock road car. The effect in GT5 is just plain ridiculous, I don't find the cockpit shake to help me in any way at all. Better tire noises and force feedback are for that purpose.
Quote from Matrixi :Sorry, but that is just.. no. :nol2:

Your vision doesn't get blurred of shaking at 100 km/h in a stock road car. The effect in GT5 is just plain ridiculous, I don't find the cockpit shake to help me in any way at all. Better tire noises and force feedback are for that purpose.

Well it tells you your driving on a bumpy road

If your wheel is shaking, and the tyres and squealing yet the cockpit is rock solid, I dunno, that too me feels really odd...

RFactor and The GTR series have even more weird looking cockpit wobble, like your on a jello ball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIc-EGxMDTo
Yes the problem is that when you shake in a car, you feel it, you don't see it. It doesn't affect your vision at all and I think this has something to do how brain use the vision and equilibrioception (the feel of balance, G-forces etc) together and so what you see is always steady.

In rFactor there are some weird effects but that is just the reason why you disable them.

Dunno about GT5 but at least in other sims I play the bumpiness of road is feelible thru FFB and simply just how car acts when driving at them and it's really easy to tell. This is proper feedback from the game instead of using effects.

Also the shaking effect in GT5 doesn't seem to have any real connection with the bumpiness of road, it's just a simple effect what keeps showing when the grip limit is near or you're already past of it.

Of course these things are matter of a taste but I find effects like this very irritating and pointless even.

BTW I'm quite sure GT4 also had a similar shaking effect in bumper cam, it's the last console game I've bought.

Probably one of the reasons why I feel bumps without effects like this is because I'm able to "sink" in the sim very well. In some weird way I even feel the G-forces, it's a trick what my brain does when concentrating really hard and driving as fast as I can. I notice this because sometimes during cornering a fast corner, especially the long ones, I get a feeling like I have to press the accelerator harder. I'm sliding a bit left or right and back even if it seems physically impossible, it makes keeping accelerator down harder and even affects my upper body. This is one of the reasons why I hate shake and g-force etc. effects in sims, they actually kill this "trickery" for me, I'm unable to sink in.
Quote from CoolColJ :Well it tells you your driving on a bumpy road

RFactor and The GTR series have even more weird looking cockpit wobble, like your on a jello ball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIc-EGxMDTo

Well first off in every game or sim you can turn the head wobble off. So while some game may have it it also has an option to turn it off.

Secondly I don't think the shaking tells you are driving on a bumpy road. What it tells you is that your neck is broken or that your seat has come loose.

I think it is the old classic discussion of head physics. What the eyes see is not what the brain sees. When you hit a bump in real life your head moves, your eyes move but your brain kind of alters the signal so you can still focus your eyes to what you were focused. Plus in real life you still have tons of feedback coming from the seat, steering wheel (not only ffb) plus your foot resting against the floor. In a game your only feedback is the screen and if you add head wobbles and shaking you are only losing information imho.

Obviously in games it is a bit different as everyone's brain are used to this little differently. Some people like excessive head movement (like in gt5) to feel the car. Or for immersion or whatever. Some want to be rigidly attached to the car to feel the car.

On the iracing forum there is a piece of software that makes the view act like a helicopter and some people find it totally superb. I think lfs had similar addon few years ago. Basically when you go over a kerb you can see the car roll as it goes over the kerb but the scenery stays level. Some seem to love it but some like me simply can not drive like that. Basically it is all about do you want to know what the head of the driver is doing or the car.

Personally I find the cockpit totally ruined by the head shaking. I sit quite close to a 42" screen and the way the screen moves around is not only hectic and hard to focus on but also the movements are not smooth. To me it feels like the picture just vibrates randomly. I would have probably sold gt5 the same day I got it if the cockpit view was the only option.
I think they did the head shaking to make the dropped frames less obvious

Never liked the in car view. It just feels so remote from the car.
Well I don't even use the cockpit view so it's moot point for me, but that's why Kaz added it in, to impart the feelings he had while racing. I guess that's why Shift also does it, because the dev is also a real life racer.
I agree that the cockpit shake is a load of crap. I was disappointed really that I had to always use bumper cam or bonnet cam because the cockpit made it too difficult to concentrate due to the over the top shaking. When you lock up under braking, the camera shakes even more. I feel like I am missing out when it's raining, not being able to see the effects on the windscreen, but it just feels so different to drive in the cockpit due to all the silly shaking effects that have no relation to how bumpy the track is anyway. In every sim I play, if I can, I disable the camera shakes and wobbles, for the same reason as BigPeBe. Going over bumps on the track looks and feels more immersive with a camera that is still, so that the camera moves with the whole car going over the bump. That way your own eyes work how they would if you were going over bumps in a real car. I had hoped that they would atleast include the option to disable them, but no. Maybe you're right sinbad, maybe they're trying to hide lower fps, it certainly does make if feel like you're driving at a lower fps because it makes the driving feel so disconnected. Still looks good from bonnet cam but it's such a waste of time taking forever doing 200 odd cockpits with all the intricate little details, without including a couple of options to change how the camera acts inside the cockpit, apart from 3 different FOV settings that I often find either put the camera in a good place but with an FOV too low, or put the camera too far away but with a suitable FOV.
Cizeta V16T test drive, stock, sports hards, no aids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S5EywCawoI

Definitely one of the hardest cars to drive on hard sports tyres in GT5! The engine has a lot of torque and will send you off track in a hurry
If you think the Mclaren F1 is tricky, try this one out!

Looks pretty good for a standard car.

I thought it used the same sounds as the Mclaren F1 in GT5, but the real thing sounds quite similar in the upper revs, but low revs are pretty bad in GT5 though. Low revs should sound like 2 American style V8s stuck together.
All they did in GT5 was pitch shift it down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5NgGQr2u4I
beat (spoiler) gran turismo world championship in a ferrari 458 italia, and it was kinda tough...but the game, just to spit in my face gave me a PURPLE (spoiler) veyron.
probably the only color i would not want.
Nothing wrong with a (SPOILER)Purple Veyron(End)
You can still repaint it for 2000 Credz, but you'll lose the two tone paint scheme.
Quote from logitekg25 :it was kinda tough...but the game, just to spit in my face gave me a PURPLE [car that sucks].
probably the only color i would not want.

I think mine was all black, fancy swapsies? 0 miles, bone stock.

Not fussed if I get your veyron or if you wanna hurl over something decent, just want something in return.

I hate the things

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG