The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :To be fair to get karting right takes a monumental effort, and GT5 would be wasting their time trying to make anything anywhere near realistic.

Also i recall karting was scheduled for GT6 and NOT GT5. The suggestion of karting was leaked in the press, and because it was a popular thing they decided to bring it forward to GT5.

True, but I'm not moaning about the physics, despite them obviously being hugely simplified. It wouldn't take a monumental effort to make some smaller and twistier tracks with shorter straights and tighter hairpins.
I too think it is an awesome addition if they have some proper tracks for it. I don't know if anyone actually tested that part of the gameplay before release but there isn't really any meat to it. Probably they think it is too much of a niche to pay too much attention on it, given report that it is impossible to control on the pad.
Since they Removed B spec from the A spec races and made it seperate you seriously gain the feeling of accomplishment expecially on the enduros, its great.

lvl27 now only 3 more till the vettel challenge and the X1
Quote from CoolColJ :I made an Mclaren F1 video. Some Tsukuba, some Nurburgring rain.

Stock Mclaren F1 with it's hard sports tyres. Pretty hard to control without any aids and a wheel! You need to be careful with the throttle.

The LM imitation addons, wing, skirts and front splitter add extra downforce which helps, along with using sports medium tyres. Big difference in grip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMxCI5CBUE

BTW I also managed to mutilate my LFA's rear end and wing when I went airbourne at Daytona

A good example of a GT5 car which does not pitch or roll enough. It's clearly very stiffly sprung for some reason, which the road car is not.

When fitting the full-customised suspension, is it possible for it to be softer than stock?
usually not, unless your car is really heavy and the stock already has 6K or so spring.

btw. just why are the endurance reward cars so shit???!!! I thought driving for two hours I should deserve something proper.
Quote from DaveWS :Is it just me who thinks the Karting could actually potentially be really awesome if it weren't for one huge problem?

All the Kart tracks are friggin huge. Most of the early special event ones are completely flat out everywhere, and you only need to do some braking for 1 or 2 of them in the whole game. Even in the course maker, I can't create anything as short and twisty as you would see in real life. It's a joke lol. The minimum number of sectors in the course maker is 2, and when you add any kind of complexity to the circuit you end up with something nearly 2 miles long.... I'm pretty disappointed how little the GT5 devs seem to know about actual Karting.

Monaco is good as a kart track, it's tight in places and you need to brake at a few places on the track also, Madrid mini and Tsukuba are good for karting.
Quote from CoolColJ :The angry angel sings at the Ring....dynamic lighting and atmosphere looks so realistic! Photo mode pics taken from the replay

Excuse my driving, I was just testing out the dynamic time and weather system
I setup the run as a race in the lounge with 1 spectator, so I could save the replay. Time passage speed at 30x

LFA at the ring with dynamic time and weather
I find it rather meditative, just watching and hearing it go around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRBlQLBUg5Y

Hey, i just saw this vid! How did it stayed foggy and daytime through entire lap? I thought it had just one setting for time change, where it always gets dark by the end of the lap? Can this be set in the time trial aswell?
Damn, missed the delivery of my PS3 .
Quote from CoolColJ :I made an Mclaren F1 video. Some Tsukuba, some Nurburgring rain.

Stock Mclaren F1 with it's hard sports tyres. Pretty hard to control without any aids and a wheel! You need to be careful with the throttle.

The LM imitation addons, wing, skirts and front splitter add extra downforce which helps, along with using sports medium tyres. Big difference in grip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxMxCI5CBUE

BTW I also managed to mutilate my LFA's rear end and wing when I went airbourne at Daytona

Rain doesn't look so bad...

BTW do you have the cobra 427?, mind do the same track with the cobra, also with rain

Looks like nordschleife is the best track Design in terms of quality and all, so far is the best nordschleife track (Quality/lvl of texture/poly/etc etc etc )for a car sim/race
I was racing Wagner in the World Classics race
What other odd drivers will I race?
Gotta ask again.. are you able to turn off ABS on the real car, if you are doing some amateur racing and stuff? and how complicated is the procedure.. found it's twice as more fun when you turn it off in the game, even on modern cars, and you're faster, but not sure how exactly 'realistic' is that..
Quote from JJ72 :usually not, unless your car is really heavy and the stock already has 6K or so spring.

btw. just why are the endurance reward cars so shit???!!! I thought driving for two hours I should deserve something proper.

The Indy 500 onwards rewards you with fairly decent cars. (Indy 500 - Jaguar XJ13)
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :It's easy with a pad, you just gotta be smooth.

Oh really? I thought you just threw the controller around, maybe stand on it a couple of times and with a bit of luck you would end up facing the right way.
Well, now all I'm missing is the FGT in the normal A-Spec races (Endurance is too much work! )... B-Spec my drivers require little babying at least.. but I need to level my other drivers.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hey, i just saw this vid! How did it stayed foggy and daytime through entire lap? I thought it had just one setting for time change, where it always gets dark by the end of the lap? Can this be set in the time trial aswell?

I did it "online" in my private lounge in GT Life.
You have options for start time, and time passage speed. I set it to 30x here. It's probably at 60x in offline. I don't know why these options are not present in offline as well....
I had 1 spector too from my friends list

I also did the run as a race so I could save the replay, but you can't change the view!!! Weird, I mean the replay file obviously records the driver's inputs, so I see no reason for this. PD works in mysterious ways

Quote from Inouva :Rain doesn't look so bad...

BTW do you have the cobra 427?, mind do the same track with the cobra, also with rain

Looks like nordschleife is the best track Design in terms of quality and all, so far is the best nordschleife track (Quality/lvl of texture/poly/etc etc etc )for a car sim/race

I have the Chromeline Shelby Cobra, so I can do it no problem. But I think I'll try some different exhausts

Yeah GT5 = Nurburgring simulator pretty much

Quote from Boris Lozac :Gotta ask again.. are you able to turn off ABS on the real car, if you are doing some amateur racing and stuff? and how complicated is the procedure.. found it's twice as more fun when you turn it off in the game, even on modern cars, and you're faster, but not sure how exactly 'realistic' is that..

I remeber seeing a show that had a comparison between a R8 V10 with aids and without, the engineers took a fuse out or something to disable ABS I think. And laptop to plug into the cars ECU. The host could not drive the R8 without aids

edit - the R8 is 4WD too... goes to show most people have no idea how little traction a road car has on street tyres when driven hard
http://www.exceta.com/media/15 ... 10_With_No_Driver_Aids_0/

I find with ABS on 1 in GT5, you still have to brake like you don't have ABS to get the most out of it, and setup the brake bias properly as well
Quote from sinbad :A good example of a GT5 car which does not pitch or roll enough. It's clearly very stiffly sprung for some reason, which the road car is not.

When fitting the full-customised suspension, is it possible for it to be softer than stock?

Yeah you can make it a bit softer than stock values. I'll try it since I have the full custom suspension upgrade, and make it sit higher

Might make it have more traction on the stock tyres too
Was I the only one who did the World Classics race in a tuned up kubelwagen?
Yes.

However now that I think.. the Kubelwagen challenge definitely sounds "top-gear"ish.. racing something ridiculous.
What do you guys think of the tuning (LSD and suspension) in gt5? I've been playing around w/ lsd and suspension for my viper and it's a pain since i can't have more than 1 setting saved at a time.
Is it true that you 'have' to change the oil even for new cars? Apparently you recieve 5 hp boost from it. And that your hp increases after some mileage on the new cars... are they having a laugh?!
Quote from Boris Lozac :Is it true that you 'have' to change the oil even for new cars? Apparently you recieve 5 hp boost from it. And that your hp increases after some mileage on the new cars... are they having a laugh?!

Power goes up a fair bit on some cars. People say the power goes up when you wear the engines in, I haven't looked to closely into it.

It happens in the real world
I know, but c'mon, is that really necessary? It makes posting lap times and leaderboards quite incosistent..
Quote from JJ72 : you have to baby sit them at least once a lap/

keep the ai going the same pace, once they pull ahead, by pressing maintain pace every 14 seconds. Or every 4 seconds after the little pace picture disapears completely from the pace menu button.

Quote from danowat :Yup, as above, riding the kerbs, and taking quite a bit of an advantage by cutting the corners as much as possible, because the game doesn't punish you as much as it should for running wide, you've just got to be properly aggresive.

Cutting doesnt' give very much advantage; however the ease of the challenge is agreeable. Proper lines and maintaining good speed though the corners will easily achieve anyone a gold.

Quote from Boris Lozac :Gotta ask again.. are you able to turn off ABS on the real car, if you are doing some amateur racing and stuff? ... found it's twice as more fun when you turn it off in the game, even on modern cars, and you're faster, but not sure how exactly 'realistic' is that..

Turning the ABS off in the real counterparts is not impossible; however GT5, with ABS set to 1 is not realy all that realistic either. The ABS is too good for the price of the real counterparts. Turnig the ABS off in GT5 is most likely more realistic than the ABS set to 1 in GT5.

Quote from Gabkicks :What do you guys think of the tuning (LSD and suspension) in gt5? I've been playing around w/ lsd and suspension for my viper and it's a pain since i can't have more than 1 setting saved at a time.

The tuning in GT has always been kinda rudimentary. PD did a step down from Prologue to GT5. The steering angle and each gear were both adjustable and there were three setups saves.

I have no internets at home right now. I but I hoped there would have been an update or something I have been missing.

Quote from Boris Lozac :Is it true that you 'have' to change the oil even for new cars? Apparently you recieve 5 hp boost from it. And that your hp increases after some mileage on the new cars... are they having a laugh?!

I'm sure engine rebuilds will eventually be necessary for all our heavily milaged cars since ownership.
I've noticed that too, when I first tuned up my RS6 it was on 894bhp but now sits nicely at 901bhp

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG