The online racing simulator
Quote from lamerr :So I`ve been playing a lot Gran Turismo (1,2,3 and 4) in the past. How does GT5 compare to Prologue in terms of physics? I heard so many bad/good things about GT5.
Fearing that I might get very disappointed with the game, so please share some of Your experiences (good or bad) with the game so far.

My experience so far is that it really depends on the car/track combo, it feels like some cars have more simplified physics.. but when you stumble upon a good combination it feels just awesome, understeer and sense of weight is like in no other sim i tried.. it just feels like driving a rl car..
Quote from Boris Lozac :it just feels like driving a rl car..

In which you seem have a lot of experience? Haha, sorry, couldn't resist.
Well i drive in rl.. never said i have experience in racing..
Quote from danowat :PSN : danowat32

So my assumption was right, I am just a little perplexed at how quickly they go from cold to hot.

It also shows if you've been lighting up a tyre by going to red. So it works with heat, and also shows if you are putting extreme load on a given tyre by lighting up as red. It's a bit perplexing, but I don't think that the tyres heat up extremely fast.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well i drive in rl.. never said i have experience in racing..

Well, let me tell you, driving a car to its limits on a track feels quite different to driving a car on normal roads (even if it's spirited driving).

GT5 reminds me of driving a car on a track, but not so much because of the physics (they're fun and allright), it's more because the visual part reminds me of sitting in a car and driving on a track, really.
Bad things so far (level 15):

- The shadows but its not important.

- Can't rewind replays (or can I?)

- It can be VERY dark.
Had to turn off full RGB support and up the gamma.

- Aliasing
Too much of it when sitting close.
What happened to gow3 MSAA. It would be perfect

- The track editor.
I felt like some japanese developer pulled down his pants and literally urinated on my face.
What is that? that is no editor. I was already dreaming of corners and layouts and BAM I'm slapped on the face (or urinated).

- The blurriness
prevents me from judging corners at a distance. The cockpit dials are also very, very blurred. Can barely tell the speed looking at them. why...? its in your face. Make it pretty.

- Mixed impressions from the Forcefeedback
The sound makes me believe I am touching the apexes. But no shacking forcefeedback. I have to make more tests.

- physics
They vary but are a lot more closer to what the PC has to offer (I come from LFS). But I find it very unrealistic how a car loses grip on all 4 wheels and just keeps skidding at low speeds. A ferrari F40 doesn't keep skidding at 50kph. Jesus... I cannot skid my own car at 50kph and it has bicycle wheels compared to the F40.

- No G25 official support inside the game

- Flying car syndrome (as in not touching the ground). really obvious when going over apexes.

- visible Wheel degrees do not reflect actual steering wheel degrees.

- No option to remove the visible wheel

Good things so far:

- Challenges

- Nurburgring (played it to death on GTR. Its better on GT5)

- Weather. specially fog

- Nascar
Holy crap. Being European I totally diss Nascar. But I admit I am heavily impressed with its physics and feeling.

Its an ongoing evaluation. I will surely add more things to either side.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
I'll haffto find one then!

Also.. I love the nurburgring. Doing the AMG challenges is fantastic, although I do scare myself when I go through and get gold on my first attempts at some stages.
-
Quote from brandons48 :
BTW - Does anyone else have the caterham fireblade yet? OH. MY. GOD.

Mine weighs around 350kg and has a supercharger.. and it's orange. You can guess how much fun it is.

Yes my catherham is candy pearl red it looks the part and its fast.
Quote from brandons48 :RUF or Caterham?

Either way, if I find another, I might gift it to you if I feel generous

Yellowbird I want. Caterham I know I'll like.. I had tonnes of fun with GT PSP.
Disappointed on how gt5 looks tbh, the rest is ok.
Quote from G!NhO :Disappointed on how gt5 looks tbh, the rest is ok.

It's still the best looking racing game/sim out there imo.. Don't have experience with iRacing, but from pictures and videos, it doesn't look better then GT5.. Where it really shines is when there are cars around you, when you're alone on some badly done track, it can feel little dissapointing, but on a good track with Premium cars around, there's nothing better..
Hey man, how can you compare iRacing with GT5? Because both have cars racing on a track? lol

Oh.. I see you are joking eheh Im laughing hard now
I know it's November still but I've just seen the Coca Cola Christmas advert so I'm feeling all festive! Here's some shots with a festive touch

First pic is my Lancia for rallying and the other two are of my Stealth Mazda 787B

Quote from tiagolapa :Hey man, how can you compare iRacing with GT5? Because both have cars racing on a track? lol

Oh.. I see you are joking eheh Im laughing hard now

Why not? I was comparing them graphically.. if i'm wrong feel free to correct me Physics wise i can't tell..
-
Christmas trees up in Bern already?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Why not? I was comparing them graphically.. if i'm wrong feel free to correct me Physics wise i can't tell..

Ok, then why choose iR? We all know the focus in that simluation is not the graphics..
You can compare GT5 to the new Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, which overall IMO has better graphics than GT5.. see?
-
Quote from tiagolapa :Ok, then why choose iR? We all know the focus in that simluation is not the graphics..
You can compare GT5 to the new Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, which overall IMO has better graphics than GT5.. see?

Because iRacing actually looks good too? And i'm comparing it with simulation games, as that's where i actually put GT5, imo it is better then rFactors and such.
Hot Pursuit? Are you kidding me? At least play the game, don't post on forums while you're high
Quote from brandons48 :Mmmm...

Nah.

GT5 doesn't need bloom to look good you see..

Of course not, it needs a miracle

You're trolling now Tiago.. you know better then that. In normal racing conditions, like you play any other sim, it is actually best looking.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Because iRacing actually looks good too? And i'm comparing it with simulation games, as that's where i actually put GT5, imo it is better then rFactors and such.
Hot Pursuit? Are you kidding me? At least play the game, don't post on forums while you're high

Ok fair enough, I didn't play it for hours.
But I hope I was high right now
-
Quote from brandons48 :How the hell do you guys manage to make the game look so bad!? xDD

I tried to take some pics of me sliding my standard CL600, I gave up, as I couldn't be bothered to spend so much time trying to polish a turd.

When GT5 looks good, it looks amazing, but equally, when it looks bad, it looks really bad.
Quote from danowat :I tried to take some pics of me sliding my standard CL600, I gave up, as I couldn't be bothered to spend so much time trying to polish a turd.

When GT5 looks good, it looks amazing, but equally, when it looks bad, it looks really bad.

I second that impression. Tried the same thing, gave up on photo mode five minutes later... it's terrible.
-
Now do the same pic while in a slide and with a big cloud of smoke behind the car.
What is "premium"? How to get my hands on those cars?
Well, as said by Danowat, you can find great pictures quite easily if you look for them- but if the game truly looked great it would be hard to take a bad picture of it, and it just isn't.

For me, the frame drops and tearing I can live with, the shadows are usually just about okay, but the saw-toothed edges around cars with clouds behind them annoy the hell out of me, and if you never see those whilst driving then you probably need to see an optician. No previous GT games had any graphics bug that was so obvious.
-

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG