The online racing simulator
Lucas Ordonez, last year's GT Academy winner driving on Nurburgring in the Tuned 370Z I think. Nice,the sounds are audible and sound pretty good
He lost control twice as well

Quote :This is my first lap at the GT5 Nurburgring track. Graphics are amazing, the driving sensation is really close to real life!! Now I understand why Polyphony spent more than 5 years to create this "pearl"!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-uGdSJyEo
this is from the Irish GT Academy Finals, physics are still changing

Quote :
Another problem was the servers crashing. I don't know how often it happened as I left when everyone played their first rounds (since we couldn't watch).
My race was about to start and then my ps3 just didn't connect and froze. So I was left sitting there for nearly 10 mins as everyone fiddled around and fixed it (by switching off the ps3 at the power button - proving they knew **** all about what they were doing). To be honest all this threw me off as I was ready to race and then all of a sudden nothing was happening - and everyone else was still practicing. That's the only excuse I can come up with for not doing well lol

Quote :There was some mention previously in this thread that the strong slipstream was in one of the finals, yet not in the Ireland finals. If this is the case, this is completely unfair on some competitors as it's a very different race one must drive depending on this slipstream effect. I'm thinking in particular for any event with exaggerated slipstream effect; it just means the best racer is less likely to win.

Quote :Something to do with the code they had. In the breifing at the start they laid out the rules and they had TC at 7, but we put it to the vote and got it turned off
They said something about the code they where using and if it crashed,they would restart the race,All my races went without any issiue, but this is all being told through my eyes,others for sure will feel another way about it.

Quote :I think we got a different build of the game. We were warned before the competition started that this is new code and that there was a high chance of the game crashing at some point. Like there was very very little slipstream if any. I had watched videos of the other finals and I was expecting it to be easy to catch people on the main straight at Fuji, but this was not the case. It would be cool to adjust how strong it is -- OR -- PD could get off their asses and actually sort out a realistic level of slipstream before they release the game and leave it at that

Interesting info.. thanks.. i've noticed that god-awfull slipstream too..
I typed this on another fourm - but I thought it's relevant here too
---
Quote from fiction :Yeah, one of the members of this norwegian F1 forum was in the nordic finals, and he mentioned the unrealistically strong slipstream.
On the Daytona Road Course the second place driver more or less coasted behind the leader until the final turn, and although he made a mistake there, got a tow from 100-150 meters behind, and slingshot past and won by 50-70 meters.
On a track like Fuji a draft buddy reportedly was worth several seconds per lap.

He wasn't impressed by the physics, but then he's mostly used to pc sims, and also races gokarts irl. He said the force feedback was weak and disappointing, at times absent even, and not very consistent from track to track. To get a feel for the grip he then had to listen to the tyres, and we all know how well tyre sound is implemented in the GT series. Constant whining from the tyres, with little to no nuances. He went so far as to say that it felt like the tyres weren't actually rolling on the ground at all.

There was a "time penalty" for hitting the armco or other cars, but more often than not it was the crashee not the crasher who received it.

He also mentioned some server problems and instances of lag (isn't this LAN?)

There is hope though, he was full of praise for the graphics!

I play all the major PC racing sims too and I think the GT5 Time trial compares well, and better the PC games in a few areas physics wise and loses out in some areas. But if you consider where PD has come from and where GT4 was, it's progressive

Physics in each game takes a while to get used to, but once you do they suddenly feel a certain smilarity for a funny reason, when it felt so alien when you first played it

Even in all these PC games they all feel different, so who is to say which is correct? I mean none of them really feel like real life.

I played GTR Evolution a fair bit a few weeks back, it feels pretty arcadey and simple compared to the GT5 Time trial so I'll leave it out. R-Factor has the same basic physics engine as it, and I'm not dedicated enough, hardcore and drawn to it enough to go fiddling under the bonnet like I would when it comes to modding other PC FPS and strategy games I love.
NetKar Pro feels very good, right up there with my best, but the cars are hard to relate too and I haven't played it in a few months so I'll leave it out

Now I have played LFS, iRacing and the GT5 Time Trial long enough to get a feel for each, and a week ago I played all 3 back to back.
LFS feels like the odd one out. iRacing and the GT5 TT feel pretty similar with a few differences

-------

Overall the reason why I like the GT5 Time trial the most, because it's the only game that gets me into the zone, locked into the screen like I did when I was churning out laps for 2-3 hour stints, where I really feel like I'm driving a car, banging up through the gears, the engine screaming, steering the car around. And I have good control and connection to the car.

I get that a bit in LFS, especially online. I haven't so far in iRacing, and I've done quite a few official Time Trail events, qualifying sessions and races. The steering feel and force feedback is the best of the bunch, so I don't know why, but something is not right. I never really feel like I'm fully in control of the car or it has much weight. The way it looks, the way it sounds and how it controls plays a part I guess. And the cars you get to drive, or lack of. I really like the debris and smoke effects they added recently though, much like what we have seen in GT5. It really adds to the feeling when you race - eye candy like this makes a difference for all the naysayers out there who poo poo eye candy....

The GT5 TT also seems to be the only game where the rate you apply the throttle makes a big difference, not just how much. It matters a little in iRacing, but not to the same degree. In LFS it doesn't seem to matter wether you mash the pedal quickly or wether you ease into it.
There is not only slip angles, but slip curves to work with.
At first I hated this and it felt alien, and I couldn't figure out why the car was losing control , but like I said before once you get used to the physics it feels second nature and I can read what the car is doing and make it dance.

As far as force feedback goes, you can turn off centre spring force, to make the PC games function like they should but you can't in the GT5 TT, so your stuck with good weight transfer effects (feels exactly like iRacing) and a few bumps, but everything else seems to be masked by the centering force. If you turn the FF up, you just get more centring force.
I can feel a bit of the natural wheel positioning when you over steer, but it's nowhere like as strong in LFS. Maybe LFS is exaggerated though. iRacing is somewhere between the 2.

Most PC games have canned FF to communicate grip, engine vibration, braking and other stuff etc, but a real life car doesn't work like that. You get that with the seat of pants feeling. iRacing has more realistic steering and FF effects, like a real car.
So GT5 TT is more inline with that, but feels somewhat vague and lacking some stuff. I can see the bumps in the cockpit, but I can't feel all those high frequency bumps like in iRacing, except for the major ones and going over curbs etc.
You can feel ABS pulsing in LFS through the wheel, which is pretty cool.

LFS has the best connected to road feeling, and that your actually driving something with air filled rubber tyres, but cars don't feel weighty, and the overall physics feels quite soft and doughy. Throttle response is pretty poor, and you never really feel the power and torque of the engines. I have used the LFS tweak tool to up the engines up to 500-600 hp, and it never feels like it.

GT TT feels like your driving on solid rubber tyres as opposed to air filled ones, but weight of car feeling is good.
Tyre model lacks acceleration grip, and has too much braking grip.
Best feeling of throttle response and screaming engine.

iRacing cars don't really feel heavy, or your driving on tyres to me like in LFS, but it models that skipping across the road surface, when the tyres don't bite properly extremely well. Engine sounds not so good. Tyres make as much noise as the GT5 TT as well

Like I said before, if PD improves the tyre model and force feedback, it's gonna be a sweet ride. And best overall package by far.
Now i'm really woried about that slipstream, it could be a game breaker
According to the Irish lads who raced in the national final, there was little or no slipstream in their races. Read here... they were also told that the version of the game they played was a different "code" and there was a possibility it could crash. Obviously their race would be restarted if that happened.
How can they have different slipstreams in each of the finals? Isn't that a thing that should've been done (right) long time ago, not at the end of the game production..
Never mind different slipstream, some finals had different tracks used, one even used GT5P.

And the Irish event was in a Pub, lol, with normal chairs (that kind =>:chairfall), with the wheel mounted on a table.
I disagree with the majority of what you've concluded about iRacing and how it compares to other sims in your post. I don't understand how you can say the engine sounds are poor. With the exception of the Mazda, which to me seems like a bit of a bodge job, all of the engine sounds in iRacing are very very accurate, but you do need to turn your volume up once you're ingame. They are also being worked on too, so could improve even more in a near future update!

Quote from CoolColJ :The GT5 TT also seems to be the only game where the rate you apply the throttle makes a big difference, not just how much. It matters a little in iRacing, but not to the same degree.

I'm a fan of the GT series, but this has got to be trolling surely? You can't have given iRacing a serious go if you think rate of throttle applies less than in GT5, especially from the Time Trial demo which has all of 2 variations of the same car. What car(s) from iRacing are you even drawing comparisons from? None of the cars in iRacing are very likely to handle like a tuned or stock 370z.

Some of the things you say about LFS are kind of true, but I still don't think it's fair to say that you can just mash your foot down in LFS and get away with it.
Quote from Gills4life :I disagree with the majority of what you've concluded about iRacing and how it compares to other sims in your post. I don't understand how you can say the engine sounds are poor. With the exception of the Mazda, which to me seems like a bit of a bodge job, all of the engine sounds in iRacing are very very accurate, but you do need to turn your volume up once you're ingame. They are also being worked on too, so could improve even more in a near future update!

I'm a fan of the GT series, but this has got to be trolling surely? You can't have given iRacing a serious go if you think rate of throttle applies less than in GT5, especially from the Time Trial demo which has all of 2 variations of the same car. What car(s) from iRacing are you even drawing comparisons from? None of the cars in iRacing are very likely to handle like a tuned or stock 370z.

Some of the things you say about LFS are kind of true, but I still don't think it's fair to say that you can just mash your foot down in LFS and get away with it.

I'm just generalising off course. It is sometimes hard to put feelings and experience into words

The 2 different types of 370z in the GT5 time trial feel so different they may as well be different cars - tight, grippy and fast vs slow, loose and soft. Kinda like the Radical SR8 and Solistice in iRacing

I keep bouncing off the limiter in iRacing, the engine sounds just don't communicate anything to me. They just dont scream up at the redline like they should. They're not very immersive to me. I never get a feeling like I'm driving a race car.

At the end of the day these are all very subtle things we are comparing. Your still braking to get car around a turn, and stepping on the gas to make the car move forward. How a car game feels is still fairly subjective.
Quote from U4IK ST8 :And the Irish event was in a Pub, lol, with normal chairs (that kind =>:chairfall), with the wheel mounted on a table.

Sure where better place!
The two cars you've tried in Iracing all have very little torque compare to the amount of grip available, hence there's not much instant burst of power to upset the dynamics.

The Z even tuned is still very different from the radical, it weighs half as much, is a lot smaller and with a very different engine, it isn't going to handle remotely similiar.
A few new pics

Quote from evilneal :Here we go, I was a bit eager tearing the pages out and then the scanner in work chewed them up but they’re pretty clear
Not a great deal of new stuff apart from new shots of the 370z, 458 and SLS.
Key points:
· Refers to Indianapolis, Fuji, Nurburgring Nordschleife, Tokyo 246, Madrid & Rome plus approx 15 other circuits (70, when you consider variations)
· Damage limited to paint scratches and scuffs for production models. Competition models get body deformation and destruction.
· 16 player online races confirmed (according to OPM). Online garages, bulletin boards, race and team building tools, one-to-one face offs still unconfirmed rumour for online.
· PSEye head tracking still only very likely
· Ability to play any of GT5’s course in the dark
· Dynamic weather appears to be confirmed rather than just set weather conditions that don’t change within the race.
· OPM expect a UK release date sometime around September
There’s also a short interview with KY, read into that what you will.

Quote :
Quote from Captain Roh :Just thought I'd bring you some snippets from the latest issue of Official UK Playstation magazine. (sorry about the quality)

First up, I know you all like your night shots:

One for all the guys who worry about 'GT5 Sound':

Then there's a nice couple of captions that came beneath it (number 5 being my favourite):

And just incase you cant all make it out, exact words finishing first sentence in second column are as follows;

'Five, it just so happens, is also the number of years GT5 will have been in development by the time it emerges in the autumn'.

I thought i saw august 13th somewhere. Sounds about right.

Thanks
There is a good chance the Full Nurb will be GT5
it's pretty well modelled in the background...

pic was taken by a UK GT Academy Finalist

Quote :As for the ring... Anybody who says the ring looks rubbish, it's "flat trees" make the game look awful, I think need a slap The lighting, the detail, the depth... it's almost perfect!!! This picture shows the background and how far they have gone with detail. With that much mapped of the GT track, I'm sure it will be in the full game.

and what about these stands at the Nurb - back from 2008 in a special version of Prologue
Those stands ^ are Nordschleife stands not GP circuit stands, so I'm not sure what you're implying with that one :P

Well, I'm pretty sure they are... but that looks like the Nordschleife pit lane - which would warrant garages. The start line (and thus pit area) wasn't moved in Spec II compared to GT4 was it?
I can't remeber, but that version of Prologue, very few people got to try or see it

this is GT4 in Photo mode

lol, someone got in before the lock.
Comments of the physics from a GT A UK finalists

Some of the finals had the people able to drive around in the same cars in the Time Trial on the track.

Quote :One quick comment...

After getting some passenger laps with Lucas in the GT4 350Z round Brands, I can say that the way the tuned version handles in the demo feels very, very similar to the real thing... well, as much as it can without the G forces that you miss in the game (thank god... don't think my neck could take it!).

Running slicks on a dry, yet cold track (I doubt track temperatures were much more than 3-4*c), the real car feels like it has zero roll and an incredible amount of grip. It turns in so nicely, with a bit of understeer mid corner and a lovely neutral balance on the way out.

If there is a difference, it's that the in game version handles the kerbs differently - either jumping if they are high or oversteering if you get on the gas whilst on them. In the real car Lucas was absolutely hammering the kerbs without any problems at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEbhG867d1I

Quote from Synwraith :Charlotte from Jardine has been kind enough to share some of the official photography from the UK finals with us. Enjoy

The magic all happened here in these pods:

The excellent Alex Buncombe, driver of the GT4 350Z last year with Lucas, interviewed by F1 journo legend Tony Jardine:

The Nissan 370Z Max cup car:

Nissan 350Z GT4 Cup car from last season:

Pirelli Girls with this season's NISMO sponsored 370Z car:

The car by itself, certainly my colour of choice :

The car, the girls, Lucas and Alex. This could be you next year Johnny boy:

The car, Lucas and Alex with all the UK finalists:

"Now cheer!" :

Thank you again Jardine and co :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Another video from the Osaka Auto Messe 2010 - On Fuji vs the Data Logger ghost. If you listen closely, you can make out the new improved throbby V8 sound of the Lexus IS-F. And the new improved grass and dirt around the curbs etc

The guy playing is a pretty experienced GT5 Prologue player and he still spun out, but he did manage to hold that drift a lot longer than I have in the GT5 Time trial with a wheel, maybe things have improved there tyre model wise. That's with the traction control on, as indicated by the HUD. According to Tiff Needell the IS-F is pretty oversteer happy
Though he did run over the dirt section just before the back end came out, which may have coated the tyres enough to reduce grip

Quote :February 13 at the Osaka Auto Messe went to Sun's play GT5. Shame shame on driving behavior is what I felt like GT Academy. I then introduced for other events here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfXoX-UCGRc

looks like power on oversteer caused by one wheel on the curb and some very bad recovery. (sounds like he kept it FLAT), no stock road cars will have neutral oversteer at such speed and cornering radius or it will be absolutely scary.

some shoddy driving all around
Looking at the tuned Viper shot - if there's one beef I have with GT5('s game engine) it's that PD has overdone the lighting effects a little bit imo... if you've played Prologue and driven High Speed Ring at all you know exactly what I mean *cough* exiting the tunnel *cough*

GT4 had that problem too, some of the track surfaces were absurdly reflective (Tsukuba's second hairpin and the last corner at Opera Paris spring to mind)... if the lighting was toned down *just* a little bit those GT5 shots would be perfect.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG