The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo made me buy PS3 and GT5P

well not yet but in the very near future
video of the GT academy Aussie finals - note 0'42 a glimpse of the GT5 interface perhaps. Looks like replay, with transport controls and what not
http://www.gamearena.com.au/videos/latest.php/50339

To be honest GT Academy isn't something I would participate in...

Quote :AU winner GTP_DHolland.

Many thought the Australian final might be a Dan Holland white wash, but not so. GTP_Devie (Steven Devjak) fought to and fro all day during the heats. Indeed during the first of the semi's an incident resulted in Dan going off while Devie won. This meant that Dan had to win the 2nd semi just to get into the final, starting from 3rd on the grid he managed to get the win, but not without controversy, as Devie was nudged off the track during the event.

The final which included tepez1985, joshmuggo, GTP_Devie and GTP_Holland was tooth and nail, all took a turn in the lead and during the middle laps of the 8 lap race Dan Holland and Devie were wheel to wheel, until in another racing incident, Devie went off.

A deserving winner Dan Holland drove with skill and intelligence all day, but it was a close run thing that any of the 4 grand finalists could have won.

Quote :I attended the Australian final as the guest of GTP_Devie. Thanks for the invite Steve, it was a great day, though I must admit it was exhausting... and I was just watching.

I do need to comment on the presentation and conduct of the event. For Sony this was a promotional event. It was about publicity. For the participants it was a potentially life changing sporting event. These two approaches do not fit well together.

For example I saw photographers taking pics, with flash on, while kneeling in front of & just to the left drivers. This happened to Devie during a race, a few seconds before he went off.

I saw another racing incident that put Dan's participation in the final in question happen right in front of Glen Seeton (the guest racing car driver steward), but he was on his mobile phone at the time and didn't notice.

Each driver had a steward looking over their shoulder to judge whether race behaviour was fair. None of these stewards had any real knowledge of GT. Only one had racing experience (Seeton). Towards the end of the day when people were growing tired the steward job often fell to young girls on the Sony publicity team.

This is completely unacceptable. Racing rules, stewards and scrutineers at events like this must be drawn from people experienced in Gran Turismo. Protests should be handled seriously by a panel rather than by a marketing manager who is more concerned about keeping to the event timetable.

I don't begrudge Dan's win in the Australian final in any way. He is an excellent driver, a great person and he drove with great skill and intelligence on the day to record a deserved victory. That said at least two of the other drivers in the final, either of whom were fast enough to win, suffered from incidents that in my humble opinion should have required the race to be rerun.

In my view we should insist that an agreed set of competition rules be applied to all formal competitions and that these rules and the racing itself be overseen by stewards who are experienced in GT and willing to take on this role. What do you think?

screencap from the GT Academy finals video. I see some chat buttons on the bottom left - mic icon and maybe text.
Some replay transport buttons and a few other buttons and display gadgets I can't make out
Looks like you can set up the replay to focus on driver/position/course or auto now.
Could be an online spectator mode interface

Note the sun/cloud icon on the upper top - weather?!

Slick!
another replay screen cap

If you look at the bottom right of the first pic, you can see a options for display, either the course/replay full screen or split up into the different sections like in this pic. And maybe the far right option is to watch all 16 cars at once?!

I wonder if you can lock cockpit view for all drivers? maybe that helmet event setting icon is for this

nice to see garage, driving options and quick tune right there
You can set PP (performance points) and PS(horsepower) caps, even weight by that certain icon with a number under it

that looks shit

the tv not the game
Well the GT Academy thing is pretty bad actually. How about PD release a demo that actually allows you to race with other people. Idc if it has the same car(s) or the same track as the GT academy demo. I'd just be happy with the ability to race people from around the world, or at least intelligent AI.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Well the GT Academy thing is pretty bad actually. How about PD release a demo that actually allows you to race with other people. Idc if it has the same car(s) or the same track as the GT academy demo. I'd just be happy with the ability to race people from around the world, or at least intelligent AI.

Well it is called, GT Academy Time Trial, which is imo, not the real GT5 Demo, as im sure they will release something that has 1 or 2 tracks and about 5 cars or something..
Knowing PD, I don't think they will release that anytime soon. Now I wonder what does that reminds me of...

LFS anyone?
Nice.. if we can set up the time of the day on the track, that will be sick..
prologue lets you race online and has 80+ cars..

older physics engine tho.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Knowing PD, I don't think they will release that anytime soon. Now I wonder what does that reminds me of...

LFS anyone?

At least here they keep the hype up releasing teasing stuff almost everyday
Quote from tiagolapa :At least here they keep the hype up releasing teasing stuff almost everyday

ooooooooo you bitch
A couple more, showing the other view option with a "prettier" LCD

It seems the info on the top right is the real life date and time etc
Then the grey shaded icons on the left side, password/lock, laps, flags?
weather(kinda looks like a sun in there), chat allowed, number of spectators and racers I think

wrong thread but meh
better video of the SLS Nurb demo station - fairly long over 7 mins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkdEDze1mc

--

I recently signed up on iRacing for the 1 month Radical SR8 promo offer + free Silverstone track and the rest of the usual noob package for $5
Why Silverstone though? I hate that track ....

Love the Radical though, probably my fav of all the iRacing cars - good visibility in cockpit unlike the other ones..

so my best lap in the Pontiac Solstice after a few hours is 1:07.801
Now I'm watching some guy in the same qualifying session hit high 1:02, and he is going 10mph higher than me in some turns, and there is no way I can do that without spinning out. Are we driving the same car???

Pontiac Solstice is peice of crap
The Ford Spec racer is a oversteer machine - but once I stiffened up the front and deflated the rear tyres it's better
The Radical is pretty neutral and grippy. A hell of a lot easier to driver than the Solstice!!

The engine sounds are not that great. I keep hitting the limiter, because they don't just scream like they should near the red line
Tyre model seems to be a little less snappy compared to the last time I tried and slightly better throttle responce

--

Playing iRacing, LFS and the GT5 time trial back to back has been revealing
I'm rather surprised how similar iRacing feels to the GT5 Time Trial physics. GT5 has less acceleration grip and too much braking grip though, so the tyre model is just different, but how the car reacts and how it spins, and the way it feels and how you interact with the wheel and pedals is pretty similar. Even though the cars are nothing alike - Radical SR8 and Pontiac Solstice - they could be compared to the 370z Tuned and Normal. Tight and fast vs slower and soft.

GT5 Time trial has a better look, and feel as far as the overall integration goes. I just don't get immersed in iRacing to the same degree, but it does have better force feedback with all the bumps and what not

Whereas something like LFS feels totally different. LFS is a bit more doughy and soft feeling, while the GT5 Time Trial is pretty snappy. GT5 Time Trial has the best throttle response feeling. The cars really feel like they're taking off when you touch the loud pedal, more so than any other driving game I've tried so far

Thoughts so far? I much prefer the GT5 time trial vs iRacing overall, especially price wise, if PD can improve the force feedback and the tyre model, GT5 is gonna be sweet
Quote from Dygear :There is no way that car handles like that. It looks like they took the reply speed and went to 120% or something.

well it looks to be on Standard physics vs Pro physics and the lights that come up on the HUD show driving Aids and traction control on

Standard physics allows you to get away with a lot and much higher corner speeds. Think old style GT physics
the "sun" icon is collision, I think.
nice driving.
German GT Academy Final race - 3 laps around the Nurb, but we only see the start here. Pro physics setting used here I'm sure, must have been hell trying to stay on the road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8nQie03nvs
BTW I watched the above German final Nurb video again and noticed it has 1080p option now - when did that happen on Youtube?!

Some amazing detail on the Nurb now. More poles, structures, power lines going overhead. Road signs are clear etc.
Hell the trees look a ton better

Edit - noticed the Black car taking a spill in the rear view mirror
full final race of the Portuguese event. Mostly from outside the car. Now why would someone in the finals use the driving line?

Laps 1-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOZB9YCmEFE

laps 4-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7L74GAL5bo

never noticed all those parked cars in the infield area before....

----

First decent quality full lap pf the Nurb in normal 370Z, pro physics and N3 tyres.
Big spill at the start that looks pretty realistic

There is some obsessive details here -
don't think I saw any duplicate trees in the whole track
And the colours change from section to section. You really feel like your driving in a dense forest.
There doesnt seem to be one grass texture for the whole course
Hell there is even one small patch of greener grass in one corner where the rest of that area is mostly browner :dopey:
Lots of structures and details around the course and so on.

And it just looks like the Nurb you see in real life videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FNYJ2emp4
good Nurb comparison video - Sunny and HD in an M5 - the bright green on the sun lit trees doesn't look so unrealistic now does it?
That guy is drifting the M5 pretty easily with passengers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjngx1NqCRI

at the 2 turns where that building is - 4'28 and the next turn after.
and one more at after he passes the Subaru at 8'55

All quite easy, much easier than you can do in most games. He's not even using a 200 degree wheel, or madly spinning the wheel around super fast
It certainly is next to impossible in the Time trial with a wheel, and even in the drift friendly LFS, is still harder than it should be!
He turns in hard, steps on the gas and easy counter steer, and then straightens up smoothly. No need to flick the car in. No dramas, no major snap back, or fishtails...
Video from the Tokyo Auto Salon. It looks to be a Lexus ISF time trial, there is a ghost of an ISF shown there, on what is probably the final GT5 version of Fuji. Yep it sounds like a V8 - finally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_KlZ8e2Ok

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG