The online racing simulator
Quote from Boris Lozac :Couple of gifs from that video..

That quick correction in the first gif, i don't know if they done that on purposse, but it turned out great

Boris, you do realise those videos are intended to be 100% identical, right? The GT video is generated from the GPS data logged from this new device, its not a comparison of a pro driving round Fuji IRL vs in GT5.
Could be wrong, but it sounds like your impressed that the driver had to make the same counter-steer correction IRL and in game (as if to prove its accuracy), when really the GT output is an auto-generated replay which you can race against as a ghost car n stuff.
As i say, thats the impression im getting from that comment anyway.
The first time i watched the video i thought they'd somehow missed a fair bit of feedback, cos just on the apex of T1 the hand movement is clearly different. On closer expection, its only hand movement, not wheel movement, Kaz (i'm guessing) just moves his hand location for a moment, threw me off hehe.

Its certainly very impressive technology, but i cant help but say... so?
As a real world device, well unless were going round tracks which are in GT5 with a car thats in GT5 and this fancy GPS device, it means squat to >99.99% of people.
As a GT5 feature, it'll only mean something to us if they have capable drivers armed with this tech who'll go out and provide real world data as a challenge. If the Super-GT series (or nascar) threw this tech into a car for qualifying, and made the lap available in GT5 ... THEN im interested, or even better, if they gave it to The Stig for laps around the TG test track. Even then, a lot of GT5 cars wont feature in future TG eps on the lap chart, most which would be suitable have probably already been around already, and in 2 seasons time it'd be cars which arent in GT5 unless theres DLC of it.

So im kinda dubious of this feature, really it needs them to do a lot of legwork to make use of a feature they've added (ie agreements with race drivers). Theres not much help the average person can offer because its dependant on a lot of unlikely scenarios (car, track, GPS device & person wanting to offer it to GT community).
They could use this to improve the physics engine

They have the rotation speeds of each wheel and where the car is on the track and the G forces, based on a certain steering, brake and accelerator setting. They know the weight of the car, power/torque etc. Then they can work out values for the tyres and road surface to get a match.
This can then be used to reference and cross reference other cars against this one, and other tracks and so on
hm...you do notice they can use telemetry to improve the physics engine long ago without a feature to "replay" the telemetry using the game's graphics, this has nothing to do with it.

I don't see the use either, probably drivers can learn a thing or two about their racing lines by reviewing from a track side camera, but that's about it.
Well they can now directly compare the real car with the virtual one, in the same virtual environment. They have the data to generate the replay/ghost

All they do now is take the steering, brake, and thottle data and apply it to the virtual car, without the GPS correcting for position. If the virtual car stays in the same general spot as the real car's ghost and wheel speeds are similar, their physics engine is spot on. Making sure G forces and engine RPM values match up. If not they tweak values until that happens.

Sorted!
I really don't think GPS is accurate enough to have much of a bearing on advancements to a physics engine.
Quote from CoolColJ :All they do now is take the steering, brake, and thottle data and apply it to the virtual car, without the GPS correcting for position. If the virtual car stays in the same general spot as the real car's ghost and wheel speeds are similar, their physics engine is spot on.

Well common sense will tell you it won't be spot on, if the physics engine is that perfect we will be seeing real world lap times on every GT5 combo. just think about in real world we run different brand of tires, on a track with variable condition, wind and temperture changes.....

the fact is you don't have anything useful to backward engineer a physics engine, and it's just not done that way.
Quote from danowat :I really don't think GPS is accurate enough to have much of a bearing on advancements to a physics engine.

Maybe your garden varierty GPS, but from what I see the GPS used here seems to be cm precision
Quote from PaulC2K :Boris, you do realise those videos are intended to be 100% identical, right?

Offcourse, but what was interesting to me is how identical some of the movements were, they either tried really hard to 'direct' them to be identical, or those were real countersteers/corrections..
Quote from CoolColJ :Maybe your garden varierty GPS, but from what I see the GPS used here seems to be cm precision

Unless they are using military grade GPS, its just the same civilian GPS we all use.
These videos are back from Sept last year, from the Paris Game Show. And I noticed puffs of smoke under braking, and maybe brake glow as well, which I havent seen in any of the other demos shown so far...

player replay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27ItuAiv4U

AI replay - so much for AI following in a single file line and not trying to overtake each other
1:40 onwards to 2:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf7VSCjn34
Quote from CoolColJAI replay - so much for AI following in a single file line and not trying to overtake each other [:) :
1:40 onwards to 2:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf7VSCjn34

good...one pass because one car is faster in the straight line than another.
Quote from JJ72 :good...one pass because one car is faster in the straight line than another.

yeah and the Audi R8 (another AI car) coming up the inside to try and outbrake the Blitz Skyline into the corner, when the camera looks back from the HKS Lancer
But he fails and has to fall back in line

---

High quality direct capture version of the GT PSP ending movie
skip to 4:15 for a GT5 teaser - LOL opera verison of the GT theme song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGtDETDKXzE
Quote from CoolColJ :Maybe your garden varierty GPS, but from what I see the GPS used here seems to be cm precision

Quote from danowat :Unless they are using military grade GPS, its just the same civilian GPS we all use.

Normal GPS is accurate to about 30ft. Military GPS is accurate to about 15ft I think.
Quote from CoolColJ :2 more vids from CES

Motul Autech GT-R gameplay Video - mostly incar. I like how you can seen the underside of the windscreen decal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMvTYgJXmU

Amuse NISMO 380RS Super Leggera incar on the Nurb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5H5AGaaiio

man, a forest that looks like a forest.

I know I will spot cheats in the graphics 1 meter away from the tv, but right there that looked almost real sometimes. Really green trees made the difference.

from 40s forward I got fooled. That looked like the videos from youtube of nurb

holly crap, was that dynamic weather? the sun came out at 40s ?
Quote from spyshagg :man, a forest that looks like a forest.

I know I will spot cheats in the graphics 1 meter away from the tv, but right there that looked almost real sometimes. Really green trees made the difference.

Ring looks astonishing from the vids.. it alone would be enough reason for the purchase in my case, just like it was for GT4
did you noticed the light changing at 40seconds ? was that the camera adjusting or was the "sun" starting to shine ? that was amazing.
Quote from tristancliffe :Normal GPS is accurate to about 30ft. Military GPS is accurate to about 15ft I think.

Source?
Quote from spyshagg :did you noticed the light changing at 40seconds ? was that the camera adjusting or was the "sun" starting to shine ? that was amazing.

Haven't noticed it before, maybe the camera optics messed up, or the lightning in the room changed or something, i don't believe it's in-game, or is it..
Regarding GPS: Selective availability was disabled in 2000, it's now only applied to warzones and the like. Without SA, what we get is military grade signal, what the receivers make of it is an entirely different story.

A GPS telemetry box doesn't have to be totally accurate about the location though, as long as the offset remains consistent. For example, if it puts you 10 metres (which is a realistic average inaccuracy according to the German Wikipedia) off your actual position and you make one step forward, the step forward will be logged with reasonably high precision (centimetres with my PDA), but the actual location will still be 10m off.

The position might be inaccurate, but the distance between measurement points will be reasonably accurate.

It's kind of hard to explain, hope you get what I mean
There is a preview in GamesTM magazine, and they trashed GT5

I found a small excerpt

Quote :It's absurdly difficult, and almost certainly the most technical driving game ever created, making a mockery of Gran Turismo fans and their fiddling with ...

Quote from CoolColJ :There is a preview in GamesTM magazine, and they trashed GT5

I found a small excerpt

lol, give us the rest of the sentence/text..
That's all I have - someone posted this, so I went searching and it's subscriber only

Quote :UK magazine GAMEStm has given GT5 a complete trashing in the preview of the game in the new issue. They said "after playing the game, we felt pure disappointment, it's a well crafted game (apart from blurry texture mapping), but on a gameplay level there is nothing in GT5 that can't be found, better, in other current racing games.

That sounds prommising, when id*ots like that find it bad and too dificult..
Where did they say it's too difficult.
Quote from JJ72 :Where did they say it's too difficult.

right there: "It's absurdly difficult," didn´t you read CoolColJs post?

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG