The online racing simulator
Quote from CoolColJ :Just got back from Westfields, Chatswoood.

It took forever to find, but it's on level 4 next to the info desk. I was expecting a massive display, but it's only a small TV booth unit with a 46 inch TV + Blu Ray player, and a PS3 hooked up to another TV with DS3 running GT5 in 3D

Anyway - as far as 3D goes, good for some TV/Film, crappy for games. So not worth getting a 3D TV for it IMO.
Some of the Blue Ray footage look great, but it feels like a those pop up books, you can see and feel the depth between objects, but the objects still look flat, like cardboard cutouts. Kinda like parallax scrolling.
The Blu Ray footage of Motor Storm had a good feel of depth, but was pretty flickery.

GT5 in 3D looks quite blurry, and the 3D effect is non-existent to me compared to Motor storm and the other Blu Ray footage....
But it definitely runs at 60fps

Now onto GT5 game play/physics -

I can't get a good feel with the DS3, feels empty, it doesn't even vibrate, will have to wait till I try it with a DFGT wheel, but it's way different to Prologue, and different again to the Time Trial with a pad.

It feels more connected to the road than in Prologue, where you felt more like on skates. While it doesn't feel as twitchy as the Time Trial.
In the Time Trial, you had to use super smooth steering and throttle on the pad, but here it feels more smoothed out and easier to handle. I don't think it does 1:1 steering to wheel movement anymore like it was in the Time Trial. There is probbaly some speed sensitive steering limiting now.
The tyre model is different too, it's much more progressive, but can still snap if your not careful or over correct

I had 3 goes, all in Pro mode, Pro Physics, no traction control, everything off etc. TV was pretty loud so I could hear the sounds clearly.

1) Motul Autech GT-R on the Tokyo track, R1 tyres. Had a pretty big over steer moment on turn 1, but after that I managed to get around the track ok. It felt pretty planted with all the down force and grip. AI blew me away off course

2) Time Trial - Nascar on the Madrid track with R1. This thing is hard to control, It doesn't like to turn, and the smallest wiff of the throttle smokes up the rear tyres! Pretty loud transmission whine, so this is probably the E3 build
The low revs off idle on this is really loud and rumbley. It takes ages for the car to get moving (or stop) if you lose control and have to start up again from a dead stop

3) AMG SLS on Rome - with Traction control on 1, on S3 tyres. It's quite progressive on these tyres. You can drift it quite predictably with practise.

Graphics wise, in 3D it looks like Prologue I guess. When I switched to outside view and slide sideways the smoke looked excellent, really dense.
Pro physics is no fun on a pad, relatively speaking but easier to handle than in the Time Trial with a pad. I don't think you'd be competitive with a pad in pro physics against a wheel user anymore.

Is chatswood the only GT5 around? Or is it other westfields too? (Im in strathfield)
Eh, next one is at Bondi, not going to bother. Ill wait patiently.
better get used to that hood cam now......
As non ps3 owner I feel very tempted to buy one with gt5 (and a hd screen... gonna be an expensive x-mas). Anyway, does anyone know if the vpp pedals (usb connector) work with the ps3?
Quote from three_jump :As non ps3 owner I feel very tempted to buy one with gt5 (and a hd screen... gonna be an expensive x-mas). Anyway, does anyone know if the vpp pedals (usb connector) work with the ps3?

I am in the same boat as you but i don't want to spend money on a ps3/hd screen just because of one game.
Quote from rc10racer :I am in the same boat as you but i don't want to spend money on a ps3/hd screen just because of one game.

You can always use the screen for gaming, I plug my 50" into the PC when I play LFS
You must be able to pick up a secondhand "phat" pretty cheaply now?
I got a HP 2159 22" full HD monitor for less than 150usd, a bargin! looks almost as the TV in the living room, I also use it for the XBOX and graphic work, so that's money well spent.
Quote from danowat :You must be able to pick up a secondhand "phat" pretty cheaply now?

I got my 80GB off Ebay for £100, only 3 months old with reciept...

Was a little scabby so i phoned Sony claiming it was not working properly and they exchanged it for a new 1 on my doorstep, Great success...
Eiger Nordwand in the rain? Can't wait.
That looks totally blissful
Quote from CoolColJ :Just got back from Westfields, Chatswoood.

It took forever to find, but it's on level 4 next to the info desk. I was expecting a massive display, but it's only a small TV booth unit with a 46 inch TV + Blu Ray player, and a PS3 hooked up to another TV with DS3 running GT5 in 3D

Anyway - as far as 3D goes, good for some TV/Film, crappy for games. So not worth getting a 3D TV for it IMO.
Some of the Blue Ray footage look great, but it feels like a those pop up books, you can see and feel the depth between objects, but the objects still look flat, like cardboard cutouts. Kinda like parallax scrolling.
The Blu Ray footage of Motor Storm had a good feel of depth, but was pretty flickery.

GT5 in 3D looks quite blurry, and the 3D effect is non-existent to me compared to Motor storm and the other Blu Ray footage....
But it definitely runs at 60fps

Now onto GT5 game play/physics -

I can't get a good feel with the DS3, feels empty, it doesn't even vibrate, will have to wait till I try it with a DFGT wheel, but it's way different to Prologue, and different again to the Time Trial with a pad.

It feels more connected to the road than in Prologue, where you felt more like on skates. While it doesn't feel as twitchy as the Time Trial.
In the Time Trial, you had to use super smooth steering and throttle on the pad, but here it feels more smoothed out and easier to handle. I don't think it does 1:1 steering to wheel movement anymore like it was in the Time Trial. There is probbaly some speed sensitive steering limiting now.
The tyre model is different too, it's much more progressive, but can still snap if your not careful or over correct

I had 3 goes, all in Pro mode, Pro Physics, no traction control, everything off etc. TV was pretty loud so I could hear the sounds clearly.

1) Motul Autech GT-R on the Tokyo track, R1 tyres. Had a pretty big over steer moment on turn 1, but after that I managed to get around the track ok. It felt pretty planted with all the down force and grip. AI blew me away off course

2) Time Trial - Nascar on the Madrid track with R1. This thing is hard to control, It doesn't like to turn, and the smallest wiff of the throttle smokes up the rear tyres! Pretty loud transmission whine, so this is probably the E3 build
The low revs off idle on this is really loud and rumbley. It takes ages for the car to get moving (or stop) if you lose control and have to start up again from a dead stop

3) AMG SLS on Rome - with Traction control on 1, on S3 tyres. It's quite progressive on these tyres. You can drift it quite predictably with practise.

Graphics wise, in 3D it looks like Prologue I guess. When I switched to outside view and slide sideways the smoke looked excellent, really dense.
Pro physics is no fun on a pad, relatively speaking but easier to handle than in the Time Trial with a pad. I don't think you'd be competitive with a pad in pro physics against a wheel user anymore.

went back for another go on the Demo this morning.

I poked around the menus a bit more, and everything is locked apart from a cut down arcade mode. This demo is different from the others on the net.
There is no Indy Speedway in it - only Rome, Madrid, Tokyo, Nurburgring Nordschleife, and the Toscana rally track

There is the nice smoke, grass/dirt debris, but no skid marks. Also some damage, the rear bumper of the Ferrari 458 was hanging loose after a few "gentle" taps. I didn't try to ram the car to see if there was more than that though

All the races I did today were in Intermediate mode, with Pro physics. Ai is slower in this mode. I could be wrong, but Pro physics in Intermediate feels different to Pro physics in Pro mode... I wasn't getting the sudden snap power steer I was yesterday in pro mode.
Mostly S3 tyres today with or without traction control at 1 (out of 10)

It felt even more solid and connected to road than yesterday.
The first race I did was with whatever the demonstrator was using, Enzo, auto, traction control etc, on the Ring, and the Enzo is a handful even then. The rear end of this car is quite loose whenever you brake or coast into a turn, it wants to swap ends. And I spun in a blink of an eye when I rode the curbs with power on.

The grass is pretty slippery on the ring.

458 on Rome. Noticed the rear bumper hanging loose as I mentioned above.
Seemed pretty stable compared to the SLS and Enzo. I didn't have too many power oversteer moments. SLS on the same track = drift machine in comparison

SLS on the ring. Much easier to drive than the Enzo here. But once you get on the grass, you'll be sliding for a good while. Probably a tad too slippery.

Did 1 race in the Citroen Rally car on that Toscana gravel track, and it felt good! It's not as slippery like everyone says, it actually "felt" like gravel with a control pad. There was a definite gravel "texture" to it, but if you went onto the dirt sections on the side then it become more slippery. I pretty much feathered the throttle between 2nd and 3rd most of the time and it felt more or less like Richards Burns rally or something.
I guess if you try to drive like on a tarmac road, then it might be slippery...
When it gets dark it's really hard to see though

The Rally car sounded pretty good, as a turbo'ed inline 4 would sound, kinda boomy type note. The other street cars thin out a lot in cockpit view like in those Epsilon vids.
how are the physics overall
Quote from three_jump :As non ps3 owner I feel very tempted to buy one with gt5 (and a hd screen... gonna be an expensive x-mas). Anyway, does anyone know if the vpp pedals (usb connector) work with the ps3?

Pedals will only work if you can connect them into a DFGT, G25, and G27 etc

The ECCI and other expensive sim pedals work when they connect to the above wheels, since I guess they just emulate the Logitech connection
Quote from logitekg25 :how are the physics overall

hard to judge as I said with a control pad, but it feels better than Prologue with pad, and the Time Trial, better than a modded PC NFS Shift as well

I've played Netkar Pro demo on a pad, using the dual analog sticks on a Logitech controller, and it probably feels like that, off course not with the same kind of car.
Let me double check first though
ok, sounds good...ever play LFS with a pad, for a comparason?
Quote from logitekg25 :ok, sounds good...ever play LFS with a pad, for a comparason?

Yeah I played it a long time ago like that before I got my DFGT, and using the same Logitech control pad, and I'd say it feels different. It definitely is more like Netkar Pro. LFS feels more rubbery and looser.
GT5 has more of that tighter, more solid Netkar Pro feel, at least for the cars in the demo.
never played nkpro, but i think i know what you mean
The snow looks crap, but everything else - great
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG