The online racing simulator
Quote from funRacer[83] :doesn´t make sense anymore because in the most shops it costs the same as an DFGT so buy a DFGT.

Not really, in the UK u can get a DFP for £50 and the DFGT costs £100
really? here I was searching for a replacement for my old dfp and everywhere the dfp was sold out or at the same price as the dfgt so I bought the dfgt for ~80€
Quote from lukelfs :Not really, in the UK u can get a DFP for £50...

And where would that be?

AI battling out..

What joker came up with these sparks on every contact..
Quote from Boris Lozac :

AI battling out..

Every contact? I only saw them hit once?
Quote from lukelfs :Every contact? I only saw them hit once?

Check other videos from E3 etc, every contact creates a spark..
Quote from Boris Lozac :

AI battling out..

I dont think it is from the contact i think its from the bottom of the car hitting the ground
LOL! Those sparks look like a mini explosion each time the cars touch.
IMO it doesn't look bad at all
Jesus guys, i know it happenes in RL when they touch the wall, or bottom of the car hits the ground, but in GT5 it happens at every contact the cars make at each other.. check the videos.
Blimey. Did you really have to go into that much detail CoolCol??

Boris is right in what he is saying. It's happening when the cars actually touch body panels.
yeah but if you use cockpit view like you want to, you'd never see it

doesn't bother me, but they're probably still tweaking things, game's not done yet.
They probably have it triggered right now with any contact, but it should only happen when contact is made with a stationary object at a glancing angle.
Gamestop preorder cars - I'm interested in the Mclaren F1, but maybe not the other special cars in the Collectors Edition

http://i45.tinypic.com/15wxkc0.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/35lywk6.jpg

Quote :
Pre-order Gran Turismo 5 and receive two GameStop exclusive in-game cars, the McLaren F1 Stealth model, and Joey Logano's #20 NASCAR Nationwide series car.

* McLaren F1 Stealth Model - Custom tuned for improved performance, including weight reduction, and increased power. Also features custom carbon fiber “Stealth” paint scheme with Gran Turismo racing logos.

* GameStop NASCAR Car with Gran Turismo design - Joey Logano's #20 Nationwide NASCAR featuring Gran Turismo 5 racing logos.

Available online and in-store while supplies last.

Online Customers: A code and instructions on how to redeem your exclusive in-game cars will be emailed when the game releases.

Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: A code and instructions on how to redeem your exclusive in-game cars will be printed on your receipt at time of purchase.

hmmm, hadnt entered my mind that the 'exciting pre-order program for Gran Turismo 5' PolyD had mentioned would be your typical exchange of selling that DLC to the highest bidding retailer. For some reason i thought it was a limited edition type thing like BFBC2 where you unlocked a couple of things for being a day1 customer.

Oh well, guess i wont be getting any of those then, i plan (depending on UK pricing) on buying the Collectors Edt at the cheapest price i can find it rather than paying near full retail for the standard. I'll be damned if im paying CE price at near retail, not just because it has a fancy exclusive car.
I believe getting the Collectors Edition gets you all the extras, while pre-ordering the normal package might get you 1-2 of the cars at some outlets.

Just guessing though
well, after re-reading the statement after you posted the gamestop announcement im doubtful of that tbh
Quote :The exciting pre-order program for Gran Turismo 5 offers exclusive and beautiful in-game cars as bonuses, including the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Nissan GT-R GT500, McLaren F1, and more. Each car features an exclusive and stylish Gran Turismo-themed “stealth” livery custom-designed by Polyphony Digital, with select performance upgrades over the standard versions of the cars available in the game. Pre-orders offers will be coming soon at participating retailers for both the standard and Collector’s Edition versions.

Now that makes me think they're just saying what shop DLC will be available, and the specific details for that (who has what) will be coming soon. Its the first line which convinces me, i thought they were still speaking of the CE, but its talking about the game in general. Nothing seems to suggest the CE will get all of those, only that like the basic some shops will include some pre-order DLC.

The more i think about the CE, the more i wonder whether i really need it. The game, a book, keyring and a scale model... probably looking at twice the cost of the basic edition. If they'd included a decent length docu on the whole process i'd have been interested in seeing it, but i doubt i'd read the book and the model would get put somewhere safe... with only the game being used, and i'd pay twice the price.
Sadly it looks like we've got 5 months to wait and see anyway, so who knows.
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5232.html

Collector's Edition Content Details:
  • Gran Turismo® 5 game
  • Exclusive limited edition 1:43 scale diecast 2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V with custom Gran Turismo livery designed by Polyphony Digital, produced by well-known collectible car maker Kyosho
  • In-depth 300-page car-lover’s guide written by the experts at Polyphony Digital, covering everything from the history of the modern automobile to driving techniques and game reference material
  • Custom etched Gran Turismo key chain
  • Voucher for five (5) exclusive high-end cars with custom Gran Turismo livery and performance upgrades
  • Numbered certificate of authenticity
  • Custom collector’s packaging
Ill buy the normal game without any extras, I don´t care about some new skins, and I can tune the car by myself..
SimHQ E3 Writeup and some staff forum comments

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_104a.html

Quote :The demo stations for Gran Turismo 5 were major hits as well. GT5 was the only racing product demo with a wheel and pedal setup featured in a racing cockpit. This was such a hit with the SimHQ gang that we asked the attendants if they minded us staying in the seat longer than the two minute demo time. The line for the demo was long, but everyone waiting wanted the 3D experience. Fine by us, because we were able to rack up a good bit of time in the 2D version that nobody was interested in playing because they were enamored with the 3D version. I don’t have a PS3 but I may need to invest in one for this title. It has NASCAR and I’m sold.
Just like the exciting points of E3, there were of course let downs.

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_101a.html

Quote :Grand Turismo 5: Of all the studios that were showing racing titles, only Sony chose to showcase their new game properly — with a racing wheel and pedals. As a result, the entire SimHQ staff were drawn to the Sony PS3 mega-display like flies to, well, stuff.
Chunx was first up. After confirming with the Sony assistant that he could turn off the game's driving aids and set the physics to it's most realistic level, he took a seat in their sim cockpit and selected a Japan Super GT 500 Nismo GTR race car for a trip around the Nurburgring GP circuit. Every sim cockpit in the Sony display was equipped with a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel and pedals.
The car felt and drove as expected, demonstrating understeer, oversteer and power-on oversteer in an intuitive way. Although the physics engine of GT 5 has been extensively reworked since GT5-Prologue was released, the game still had a too-faint feel to the force feedback repsonse and wheel resistance. Entering the short back stretch of the GP circuit, the game abruptly shut off and defaulted back to the user interface. The assistant explained that the game demo was designed to run only for 2 minutes — too short a time to complete a lap at any road course on display, and certainly too short of a time to develop much of an opinion about the game.
Joe, guod, and Chipwich also got some seat time with GT5, but ConManly got to try out the game's Rally Cars on a gravel road. Having RBR and DiRT2 to compare it to, he felt that GT5's physics seemed to do a good job replicating this form of racing, although once again the feedback and resistance seemed to be a bit weak. Those of us with higher-end racing controllers such as the G27 and Fanatec PWTS or GT3RS were a bit underwhelmed by the DFGT, but that's not an issue for the game itself. We just hoped that the force feedback response on those products would be a bit more robust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz0gfRRoEfU

What little we did see of GT5 was impressive — particularly the graphics and car variety, and certainly seems to have physics and eye candy on a par with GT 5's main rival, Forza Motorsport 3. But GT5 has many game elements that set it above the bar raised last year by FM3, mostly due to limitations of the Xbox360 platform. In GT5, multiplayer races can host upwards of 30 participants, far more than the eight in FM3. And GT5 also boasts day/night transitions, something not available in FM3. It also has a wider variety of track surfaces, including gravel rally roads. While we wish GT5 had more robust force feedback effects strength, it does seem like a worthy simulation product, as far as we could tell. We expect that this game will sell many new PS3 boxes for Sony.

Quote :BTW, on the last day of the show Sony let the SimHQ staff have 3 sim cockpits for about an our each, and we drove the heck out of GT5 with all the aids turned off. Comments coming in a future article, hopefully next week. Bottom line: Once you try it, it seems to be on a par or just a tad better than FM3. Some things we liked more, some less, but it felt really good, and better than GT5Prologue.

Quote :From Edmunds' E3 Report on GT5: "GT5 has 9 NASCAR models in the game now, and is expected to have a few more models by the time the game is released. All the NASCAR rules, such as yellow course cautions, have been included in the game. NASCAR actually requested that they'd like to see the cars on other tracks, so if you've ever wondered what it would be like to drive a NASCAR Sprint Cup Car at the Nurburgring, now you can get a close approximation."

Heard the same thing at the show. I drove the Cup cars at Indy, several times. That report is still in guod's hands, waiting to publish. I didn't have to steer to the right in order to drive straight (ie, no staggered or asymmetric chassis setup) but other than that the car felt like a high-fidelity racing sim in terms of grip in the corners and over/understeer. Sounds and visuals were very good. More later, when we finally publish the GT5 stuff.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG