The online racing simulator
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm not a Liverpool fan but I think Suarez' punishment is totally out of proportion. Yes he lives here and he should be more familiar with English culture and what's an acceptable way to address a black man, but simply calling him 'black' as a noun seems fairly lightweight. He didn't insult him, he didn't call him names, he just called him 'black'. I believe him when he says he didn't mean it as a derogatory term. Maybe Evra ought to have a higher opinion of the word.

Terry on the other hand is a racist **** and an embarrassment to the national side.

The English FA have to be see to come down hard on any Racist incident since they demand that from FIFA/UEFA every time England play overseas and their players get abused (and rightly so I may add). If the FA acted weakly on this then it wouldn't have helped further down the line.

As for Terry it'll be interesting to see what the FA will do after the CPS finish with him, mind he's been charged by the police and not the FA on this one.
On the other hand, JT just saved the match for Chelsea.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Ignorance is not a valid defence. This is not a 9 year old kid we are talking about but a grown adult. Also it's not like he as a newcomer to European football fresh off the plane from Uruguay either, he's been in Europe for a number of years and is bound to known that if you say the 'n' word to a black person there's a decent chance he's going to become pissed off very quickly

Well from what I know he called the guy black. I don't know anything else other than that, I don't really see it as a problem to be honest. People are different, it's not an avoidable subject.

https://twitter.com/#!/StanCollymore/favorites

Shocking tbh
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :he's been in Europe for a number of years and is bound to known that if you say the 'n' word to a black person there's a decent chance he's going to become pissed off very quickly

The 'n' word in this case being 'negro'. Bear in mind he's a native Spanish speaker so that word simply means 'black' to him. Apparently he called Evra 'Negrito', which is pretty patronising - implying he's a child or a small man, but it's a pretty common way that Spanish speakers playfully insult someone. From what I know of south american culture (limited to three years of working with Mexicans, never been to Uruguay) I don't think he intended any racial insult, he was just trying to wind him up by calling him a big baby.
Quote from thisnameistaken :The 'n' word in this case being 'negro'. Bear in mind he's a native Spanish speaker so that word simply means 'black' to him. Apparently he called Evra 'Negrito', which is pretty patronising - implying he's a child or a small man, but it's a pretty common way that Spanish speakers playfully insult someone. From what I know of south american culture (limited to three years of working with Mexicans, never been to Uruguay) I don't think he intended any racial insult, he was just trying to wind him up by calling him a big baby.

But under the rules of Football in England, calling someone 'Negrito' is deemed using racist language. Suarez has admitted he called Evra that and as such is punished accordingly.

Mind the FA charged him with using racist language and not being racially abusive towards Evra...so I fail to see where is the problem is.
It seems the FA's view of racism is very black and white (haha) - an 8 game ban for something that wasn't intended with any malice is insane. IMO.

But if that's how they're doing it then I'm looking forward to Terry's season-long ban for calling Ferdinand a ****ing black ****.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :But under the rules of Football in England, calling someone 'Negrito' is deemed using racist language. Suarez has admitted he called Evra that and as such is punished accordingly.

Mind the FA charged him with using racist language and not being racially abusive towards Evra...so I fail to see where is the problem is.

Yea, but Negrito isn't an English world. Nor is it French. Just beacuse it sounds like '******' doesn't mean it means just that. Negrito is actually a race of black people from South East Asia. So I don't see how he offended anyone, it would be like me calling you Siamese. How could that be offending?
Quote from BlueFlame :Negrito is actually a race of black people from South East Asia. So I don't see how he offended anyone, it would be like me calling you Siamese. How could that be offending?

That's not the sense he was using. The '-ito' suffix makes a noun diminutive. One weekend when I shaved my hair and dyed it red I also accidentally got sunburnt, and my Mexican colleagues called me 'Coquito Rojo' for ages (Little red coconut).

Suarez called him 'little black', basically. It's a term of endearment but using it against an opposition player makes it a patronising form of address - treating him like a child or making him a triviality.

Point being the offensive intent is entirely in the '-ito' suffix - belittling him. The 'Negro' part is irrelevant. It's just like you or I referring to the one black guy in a group of men 'the black one'. I've seen people tie themselves up in knots to avoid identifying someone as 'the black one' but if it's the most obvious identifying factor then for ****'s sake it's not racist to say it.

TBH the more I think about this the more I think the FA have set a really silly precedent.
Quote from BlueFlame :Yea, but Negrito isn't an English world. Nor is it French. Just beacuse it sounds like '******' doesn't mean it means just that. Negrito is actually a race of black people from South East Asia. So I don't see how he offended anyone, it would be like me calling you Siamese. How could that be offending?

Well, a "knut" is a part of the female body (not a polar bear). So I'm sure you wouldn't mind being called one should you happen to be hairy and smell slightly oddly.
WOW. That has surprised me. Kinda like when Liverpool got Fowler for a season before he went to Cardiff City.
Doesn't suprise me..
I'd love to see Henry in the premier league again, I bet he'd still be massively influential. If Giggs can do it Henry can do it.
Quote from BlueFlame :WOW. That has surprised me. Kinda like when Liverpool got Fowler for a season before he went to Cardiff City.

so this means ipswich will get henry next year? :P
Quote from jwardy :so this means ipswich will get henry next year? :P

You better hope so!!!
Sweet!
happy new year ManU.
Yes blackburn
new record, nice
Quote :Ithnan from Derby on text: "At this rate Steve Kean will be calling Sir Alex to offer his support."

Oh dear
Apparently that was the end of Howard's good form though as I checked and Everton ended up losing 2-1.

YESSS!!!!!

The General Football Discusion Thread
(3469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG