The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )

And why do keep saying names are not needed? If I didn't feel I needed them I wouldn't mention them would I?

And no, contacts on straights are usually caused by one driver alone.

I may give the time trials idea a try, although having to do so only reinforces my opinion of the SR.
I'm actually liking the skippy at VIR. I tried VIR for the first time yesterday..awesome track.

I got down to 1:17.22 in the skippy...not the best but I'm real consistent. Did a TT for some practice and SR points...got a 1:17.45 or something.
Quote from J.B. :Of course my views are based on opinions, isn't that the point?

Yeah, I know - I was just indicating that they are not neccessarily things that need to be added to the sim if you ask the majority of people

Quote :Quali Flag: maybe there was another reason why my laps didn't count. Do SR penalties for using too much curb cause this?

Yes, for the same reason that the HLVS (is that how it's called? I forget) disallows off-track events on hotlaps - although I do agree, and am annoyed that certain spots in certain tracks give you 1x as soon as you even look at a dust-particle on the outer edge of the kerb.

Quote :Car reset and SR:

Well, I definitely agree that car resets should be disabled completely past D-class races, they do fit in quite well in the rookie class and D-class however, and I feel that the class system allows for a clean cut-off when resets are allowed: say 2 resets for a rookie race, 1 reset for a class D race and 0 for any other series. The SR however feels balanced to me - in a 0 incident rookie race you should be earning 0.2 or so SR, which means only 3 races to get from 2.5 to ~3.5 (after the 0.4 jump at 3.0) and then another 3-5 races to get into the Skippy. The point is that they do want drivers to be familiar with online racing and the online iRacing 'feel' before allowing them into faster cars; it's quite a reasonable idea I think.

Sure, I've gone up-and-down with the system, but I have never dropped below full points yet, and I don't have the cleanest record out there really. It's debatable, but I think that most drivers (there are definitely more exceptions!) are happy with the systems balance.

Quote :Track map and names over cars:

Fair enough, you've formulated your point clearly - agree to disagree

Quote :The feel is great but once you try to really get on the limit and reduce lap times I feel that the physics encourage you to use unrealistic driving styles such as always staying on the throttle a little bit, using loads of steering lock to balance and slow down the car and yanking the car into oversteer by banging down the gears.

I agree somewhat, but as I stated somewhere long ago in this thread, I don't see this as a flaw in the physics (although they are not perfect) but a flaw in sim-racing in general. With unlimited setup-changes, track-time and cars to destroy, and the lack of driver death (;p), people will always find the most insane ways to gain time; this happens in LFS as well, especially if you look at some of Biggie's WR's in the BF1. The point being that no current-tech sim can be cleared of this type of racing. I think it's just a matter of getting the physics as close to life as possible; it would be silly to adjust mostly correct physics just to prevent silly, dangerous driving-styles that come into life when the 'real' limit is inevitably reached.

Quote :Brake pedal issue

I think this is a very common problem, and the easiest solution is to fully depress your pedals before pressing the "Enter session" button once the game has loaded. Perhaps it will be fixed later, I'd expect it to.

Quote :And before you flame me, no LFS physics aren't perfect either not they're not far behind and better in some areas.

You never flamed me, so I don't flame back
I don't feel that you're wrong per se, but our opinions just differ, so there's no need for me to 'convert' you into liking iRacing. Like I said, you've formulated your arguments clearly and honestly - I can only respect that and be happy that you didn't just post "lol iRacing sucks wtf $20 a month no thx"
Quote from Quint999 :A few good things coming soon + they seem to be moving towards regular updates / blogs on future patches etc( Dave Kaemers post in the forum )

Gee, look at that.... information on development! What a cutting edge philosophy for a racing sim that is! I guess they must not be bound in fear of the mere perception of accountability - and/or just like to keep customer happy despite the vocal minority that may twist what they say. Kudos.

I bet that blog will be a great read, looking foward to it.
Quote from spanks :I'm actually liking the skippy at VIR. I tried VIR for the first time yesterday..awesome track.

I got down to 1:17.22 in the skippy...not the best but I'm real consistent. Did a TT for some practice and SR points...got a 1:17.45 or something.

Wish I could get down to a 1.17.99
Just had a fun race in the skippy

No qualifying time for me because I kept missing it...

I started 14th and ended 5th. Had some good battles, and even ran a new PB :] 1:16.83 is the new number. Apparently the 3rd fastest time of the race.

Victor Rodriguez was out in front the whole race...3932 irating, 1400 higher than the next guy lol.

I guess I wrote off the skippy a bit too soon, it is a fun car. I do prefer the mazda for an open wheel experience though.

I could only go back to lap 16 for the replay :'(

I was so close on people's bumpers at the beginning I really wanted to watch some of it. I went from 14 to 9th on the first lap and I don't even remember how lol.
really good lap time. Really cool to see most people starting the week with 1.18/19 lap times and then bringing it down. I did a couple of Infinion IRL laps last night. That's going to be a fun circuit for next week!
Please share sets for VIR and Infineon
I'm using one from:
Sim-Chassis: The original iRac ... m! - Powered by vBulletin

I've only done about 10 laps or so of practice and my lowest time is a 1:53. the setup doesnt feel quite right though... and I still can go much faster. I can't believe I won a race w/ the Skippy at VIR and had no incidents. I'd been spinning out about 3 times a race until today.

How much longer do i have to be a rookie? this is midseason, right? I want to try the formula mazda
Quote from spanks :iracing hurts my checkbook

just ordered one of these gizmos today...the guys on the forum absolutely love it.

http://leobodnar.com/products/DFPG25conn/

I've wanted a new pedal set for ages, but I'll never afford a $400+ pedal set...and this thing will up the resolution of the g25 pedals from 256 to 1000...so thats quite awesome.

People say they're gaining tons of consistency, later braking in the heavy braking zones, and some people are picking up good chunks of time...and no random loss of calibration anymore

WAHOOOO!!!!

I got it in the mail today

What a great little piece of silicon and plastic...

Threshold braking is now extremely wide, and I'm able to brake very late every lap without worrying at all. The pedal travel is now 100% linear, and every millimeter is used to pick up pedal position.

The throttle is also very easy to modulate. Coming out of the slow corners at VIR south can make you spin the tires very easy, but now you just roll in smooth and no problem.

Also, it rerouted the most troublesome chord from the back of the wheel to the back of my PC. No more getting my foot stuck in the chord

I suggest everyone gets one!
I ordered one last week, but so far I've had no indication of shipping/ETA :\
Should I be expecting such an e-mail, or does it just pop up one day?
So does it work with Logitech Formula Force EX or not (( Does anyone have a clue?
BULLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I was leading at Limerock with 8 laps to go (a nice 7 second lead) when my brother has to start screaming about something "cool" in Halo (he is about 5 feet away). Of course, he won't shut up and I lose all my focus. Then in the next turn, while in the process of screaming for him shut the hell up I crash. It was going to be my first win.

On the other hand, I'm surprised how easy it is to get pole and take off in t1. On lap 1 I already had a 2 second lead over 2nd. I thought I'd suck at this game because I have to drive cockpit, but it's actually made me better.
Yeah, i noticed that too. I think it's the cold tires and because people are scared of crashing and lowering their rating. Also, sometimes 1st place start position has an advantage of being on the inside of the corner.
I usually finish higher than when I started, and I can't remember ever not finishing 1st when I started on pole.

Here's a vid of me doing a 1'51.3xx around Infineon IRL. I think i can cut around 2 seconds off of my time w/ more practice. I'm using Huttu's set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQxAHnTXMFk
Quote from Gabkicks :Here's a vid of me doing a 1'51.3xx around Infineon IRL. I think i can cut around 2 seconds off of my time w/ more practice. I'm using Huttu's set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQxAHnTXMFk

Sounds like you're too aggressive coming onto brakes and locking up, that will increase your braking distance. On the beginning, you don't need to go that far to the right, it makes entry into T2 little difficult and you also had to lift just before the bridge. You had a little slip on exit and lost couple tenths there, just be nice with throttle until you've made it over the hill.

T3: I lift just slightly and keep it to the left. This way I can get much better radius over T3A and can take quite a bit of inside curb without unsettling the car too much. Basically you went in fast and then had to slow down a alot to avoid running wide in T3A.

Looked good through T4 and T5, I would recommend keeping it inside through T5 as there's plenty of camber there to stick your car into road. On T6 you had to avoid car ahead but if you look at where he was, that's the driving line. On entry you can lose some time by braking much later but don't worry about it too much. Ideally you'll want to be full throttle next to the inside curb, it will stay there really well once you get it right.

On next corner you got little rough entry but T7A was beautiful. For chicane try turning in sharp and get wide radius over lefthand side curb, should give you plenty of exit speed. Also try using 1st gear out of last corner, 2nd is little bit too tall for that.
I'm starting to like the skippy a bit more :P

about 20 laps practice, and down to 1:49.9 with a mod of huttu's set. Still super sloppy and loads of time left..I'll probably be down to like a second off pole like usual.

I really don't dig this layout though...the last corner and the extended hair pin are just way too freeform for me. Its just kinda like ok, you turn in here, and need to be pointed towards that turn on exit .

I'm getting 1 offs and black flags everywhere too...its so easy to cut and gain time (like everyone would do in real life...). If you don't want the dirt to be a part of the racing surface then put a tire stack or something.
Thanks for the tips samuli, i had a feeling that i was going too far to the right on the 1st corner. I'm still learning the raceline and i've never raced there yet. I may tonight or tomorrow morning when i have more time to practice.

Spanks, what changes did you make to huttu's set?
Quote from Gabkicks :Thanks for the tips samuli, i had a feeling that i was going too far to the right on the 1st corner. I'm still learning the raceline and i've never raced there yet. I may tonight or tomorrow morning when i have more time to practice.

I'll be uploading 1.48.5 lap on youtube with the usual HUD info once it's rendered.

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8mXXBilKFA
Gear, pedal positions and speedometer included.

Setup:
57% brake balance
158kPa front, 152kPa rear
+10 spring perch
8ARB
Quote from Gabkicks :Spanks, what changes did you make to huttu's set?

22 psi front
23 psi rear
8 arb
60 brake bias.
I left the spring perch alone, I think at +5...I figured he had a reason for not slamming it to the ground like usual :P

It really goes over the curbs well due to the ride height. The big change was the tire pressure balance, and the brake bias. It was so loose on entry...so much that I could not drive like I normally would..I could adjust, but I'd be slower.

I've found that the skippy really responds well to turning in on the brakes (just a little bit) in the slow corners, and even carrying a bit of braking all the way to the apex. It keeps the car in check, and might allow for a little later braking/earlier throttle, opposed to the usual brake, lift, pitch it in and stomp it strategy.

The really rearward brake bias + trail braking = sliding uncontrollably. I think I pushed the bias too far forward though, because if I'm not careful I can induce really bad under steer when I trail brake...I'll probably move it to like 58%.

Next I'll probably experiment with lowering the car some more, as it increases the camber as well...work those tires

I'm not a setup guru, but with so few options on the skippy you can change one thing at a time and really feel how it responds...the mazda on the other hand is a bit more intimidating.

Nice lap Crommi! That'll help a lot.
Just had a great race at LRP with AJ and another fast guy in the rookies. We (P1-3 on the grid) all jumped the start and somehow all made it back up to the front by the end. AJ took the win of course and I managed a third after serving my penalty. Fun race...
lol just qualified at a 49.8...and as I was watching my time in anticipation I drove straight into the wall after the finish line haha

still feel like I can go faster...happy with the speed though I guess, good enough to race.
Quote from J.B. :
All that said, the most important part of any sim is of course the physics. What's a shame here is that after being thrilled during my first few outings, the more I drive now the less I like it. The feel is great but once you try to really get on the limit and reduce lap times I feel that the physics encourage you to use unrealistic driving styles such as always staying on the throttle a little bit, using loads of steering lock to balance and slow down the car and yanking the car into oversteer by banging down the gears.

I don't see how staying on your throttle is unrealistic, with the soltice momentum is the main thing you need to keep those rmp's high at all times and staying on the throttle during turns is one way to do that.

Lots of steering lock will only slow you down, if you have to do that, you've already made a mistake and are using the steering to correct it.

I've never had to bang down the gears to go faster, nor have I ever seen this being done during a hot lap, (keep in mind I only race limerock and Laguna). The only time I do this is when a brake wayy too late coming from a straight into a slow turn. Limerock from example only requires gears 3 and 4 on the soltice.

Quote :
And there is definitely an issue with the way the game responds to my brake pedal. I spent some time looking at the bar graphs during braking and the brake pedal often jumps to full depression when I'm only at about half way travel. I checked in the driver and in LFS and it's not a problem with my pedal.

It's a bug I think, happens to me too, what I do is recalibrate my pedals before every session, a pain in the butt for sure but it fixes the issue.
As for physics, I am still a bit undecided still with iracing. Just by looking at the skippie I have a feeling that there is still something wrong with the physics, i can't believe that the way you need to drive the skippie to go fast is any much more realistic than LFS', for example. Mainly it is about the GPL style steering into the corner to counter the effects of oversteer. The more oversteer the more you need to steer "inwards". So far it has totally killed the skippie for me and tbh. I'm a bit afraid that the prototype car and the lotus will be the same. The same steering style works to some degree with the solstice as well.

Personally I haven't read or seen a one single book or dvd about driving a car fast that would encourage you to steer more into the corner when the rear starts stepping out. I know that quick steering will make the car understeer as stabbing the brakes can do but in iracing you need very minimal steering into the corner and the car balances itself into small slide. What I'd expect is to see the car keep rotating more and more when you steer more - as with more steering the car's rotation speed would increase and you'd spin - not stabilize the car.
theoretically its sound but i rather doubt the effect would be pronounced enough to make much of a difference
plus on any car without power steering the caster will make sure that countersteering is the perfectly natural reaction
Quote from Hyperactive :As for physics, I am still a bit undecided still with iracing. Just by looking at the skippie I have a feeling that there is still something wrong with the physics, i can't believe that the way you need to drive the skippie to go fast is any much more realistic than LFS', for example. Mainly it is about the GPL style steering into the corner to counter the effects of oversteer. The more oversteer the more you need to steer "inwards". So far it has totally killed the skippie for me and tbh. I'm a bit afraid that the prototype car and the lotus will be the same. The same steering style works to some degree with the solstice as well.

Personally I haven't read or seen a one single book or dvd about driving a car fast that would encourage you to steer more into the corner when the rear starts stepping out. I know that quick steering will make the car understeer as stabbing the brakes can do but in iracing you need very minimal steering into the corner and the car balances itself into small slide. What I'd expect is to see the car keep rotating more and more when you steer more - as with more steering the car's rotation speed would increase and you'd spin - not stabilize the car.

I am part in agreement with you on this one! The physics in terms of the handling around corners is very different from LFS and yet still feels wrong but in different ways to LFS.

Overall though, everything you get in iRacing is knockout.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG