The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Crommi : running low 1:05's around Summit Point Raceway

thats bloody fast!!!!!
I've just had my best race so far in iRacing without a doubt. Basically in the Skippy at Summit, I was placed into a very strong grid, with Aranha and Hohenauer both qualifying a few tenths in front of me. I had a poor start, and spent the first few corners trying to maintain my 3rd position, which I did so. Then I worked about getting back onto the leaders tails while they were fighting with each other. During the next lap or 2, I managed to pass up into 1st place, and well, basically for the entire race I found myself defending continuously for the entire remainder of the race. Anyway, if anyone fancies a watch, I've stuck it on mediafire. I could make a quick vid, but the whole race was intense enough so the replay makes more sense.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yomm0mjljr
Quote from DaveWS :

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yomm0mjljr

thanks mate..... downloading.... those two are bloody fast too. Glad you got put in a top field. Some very good racing to be had in the skippy.

I'm looking forward to this next week actually. Full Sebring track. Should be a good blast but I think on a track like that it needs a larger field.......
Quote from Crommi :Excited about Lotus too, but most likely I'll just end up throwing it into tire barriers time after time.

Here's an interesting blog from the developer of the Lotus.....

http://www.iracingworld.com/_M ... 79/blog/434534/57752.html

excerpt...........

Quote :“FAST! Unbelievably FAST!” That’s the first thing that popped into my head the first time I drove a development build of the Lotus 79 in the sim. I just couldn’t believe the grip, the acceleration. I always figured I have a pretty good idea of just how quick a Grand Prix car would be behind the wheel. But the sensation I got when I finally started making laps just blew me away. The car just screamed up the Esses at Watkins Glen. 130, 140, 150 and then 160 mph all before reaching the backstretch! On the brakes hard at 175 mph and shoot like a canon through the Bus Stop. “Wow!” I thought to myself, “How could any sane person ever strap themselves in one of these things for real”. This thing is literally a rocket ship! The funny part is I didn’t get the full sense of how much performance this car was going to have. Although the stats on paper look very impressive, driving it just something entirely different.

Quote from trebor901 :Someone who spends too much time playing a GAME! why take it so damn seriously

Because he develops the "GAME"
At times I think why the hell did I bother spending a fortune on iRacing, after the last 2 shocking races I've had. The one I've had just now in the F Mazda just takes the ****ing biscuit.

Basically I'm driving in my first ever Mazda race, and it's lap 22 (iirc), and I've been leading for the whole race. In the slower middle section of the lap, I get a bit of a tailslapper developing (the way this car snaps about is just wrong btw), which I recover from but obviously lose time in. However, moments later I'm struggling again to put the power down, and the guy behind can't react fast enough and wacks me from behind. The collision system (which is ****ing worse than LFS!) then sends me 3 light years off the track, with collossal damage. I wasn't sure if iRacing repairs your car in the pits, but I knew a 5th place or so would be better than a DSC regarding iRating etc. So anyway I try and get back to the pits, but the car is ****ed, and sends me into multple more spins, and to top it off, my car did not get repaired so I had to spectate after all that. God I'm pissed right now.

I stuck it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLMOswWxbuI
Probably doesn't help Dave but you do get one restart I think, even in the Mazda....... you come back on a lap behind but can be worth it. Sad you had a bad one
Quote from StableX :Probably doesn't help Dave but you do get one restart I think, even in the Mazda....... you come back on a lap behind but can be worth it. Sad you had a bad one

Nope, no restarts on Mazda.
Solstices are on Lime Rock now WOOP
Quote from DaveWS :At times I think why the hell did I bother spending a fortune on iRacing, after the last 2 shocking races I've had. The one I've had just now in the F Mazda just takes the ****ing biscuit.

Basically I'm driving in my first ever Mazda race, and it's lap 22 (iirc), and I've been leading for the whole race. In the slower middle section of the lap, I get a bit of a tailslapper developing (the way this car snaps about is just wrong btw), which I recover from but obviously lose time in. However, moments later I'm struggling again to put the power down, and the guy behind can't react fast enough and wacks me from behind. The collision system (which is ****ing worse than LFS!) then sends me 3 light years off the track, with collossal damage. I wasn't sure if iRacing repairs your car in the pits, but I knew a 5th place or so would be better than a DSC regarding iRating etc. So anyway I try and get back to the pits, but the car is ****ed, and sends me into multple more spins, and to top it off, my car did not get repaired so I had to spectate after all that. God I'm pissed right now.

Don't see the problem to be honest. Of course it's unlucky to get hit like that but the distance and damage don't look particularly different to that one might expect in real life.
Yep, looked about right.
Quote from DaveWS :At times I think why the hell did I bother spending a fortune on iRacing, after the last 2 shocking races I've had. The one I've had just now in the F Mazda just takes the ****ing biscuit.

Love the chat box
Quote from PMD9409 :35 second clip of the Lotus 79 at The Glen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQWmRsudIA

Looks mad fast.

WOW that looks brilliant, not played iRacing for a long time, I think that might get me back on.

Oh wait, I've just remembered that to play on all the tracks I'd need to spend upwards of £100.

Nevermind.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Don't see the problem to be honest. Of course it's unlucky to get hit like that but the distance and damage don't look particularly different to that one might expect in real life.

Yeah, the collision looked pretty appropriate to me.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Don't see the problem to be honest. Of course it's unlucky to get hit like that but the distance and damage don't look particularly different to that one might expect in real life.

Yeah I guess it looks OK. But I was very pissed off at the time I made the post etc. I reckon the grass would have a little more grip than that though IRL. I also reckon the driver behind would have suffered a front wing loss, and my suspension wouldn't have botched the camber so aggressively. But there are many other situations that arise in iRacing where collision physics etc are definately to blame.

Still, I'd have been fine if there was no contact, I hadn't lost the car completely. Something definately doesn't feel right regarding how the car snaps from sliding way to the other so violently. I've never seen or driven any car like that IRL. TBH I reckon the real thing feels somewhere between LFS and iRacing...

It sucks that we haven't had any major core changes / improvements for a while being offered so much (expensive) extra content.

Quote :
Love the chat box

Hehe, thought someone would notice.

Quote :It also looked entirely your fault

I don't agree there. It's an unfortunate racing incident, but the guy behind is reponsible for crashes 99% of the time.

Edit: I get the feeling from the video that the lotus is going to suffer even more from the snappy weight transfer syndrome the Mazda suffers from...
Dave, that shunt you had there, thats probably as realistic as you might get in real life.. i see no problem.
Guess you didn't read my post previous to yours then.
Quote from DaveWS :...Something definately doesn't feel right regarding how the car snaps from sliding way to the other so violently. I've never seen or driven any car like that IRL. TBH I reckon the real thing feels somewhere between LFS and iRacing...

Realistic or not, setting the rear ARB bar to "none" cures much of that violent snap in the Mazda. You're actually able to keep your foot planted and apply opposite lock without snapping off the track in the other direction. Try it!
The sounds aren't great in all but a few of the cars. I did have my hopes up for the Lotus, but short of recording a clip and looping it (à la rFactor) I doubt the sounds will ever be as good as we'd all like in iRacing.

Most of the cars just sound very... tin can like, with a digital twist. There's no rumble or growl in any of the ones there should be, and I think it just comes down to the way iRacing and LFS generate sounds. They're not playing loops over and over, they're generating sounds. I don't think the digital age has come far enough yet where sounds from a computer can bring forth such a sensory explosion as hearing any sort of race car fly by, let alone something like a Ferrari 412T or Lotus 79, in game-type software anyway.

It's funny actually, the staff guy behind the physics for the Lotus posted a quick blog about the development on the iRacing forums, people saw the video and started complaing about the sound... The majority were quick to compliment the car and were excited none the less, but still the focus was on the sounds instead of the fact that HOLY CRAP iRacing is about to release an historic F1 car...

I shouldn't be saying any of this! Sign up for iRacing it's great, cleanest sim racing ever once you're past rookie.
It's amazing how much difference a really good sound makes on the whole experience. The only other car which I do not really like the sound of is the Mazda's. It sounds too weak. Also I do not know if it is the same for anyone else, but there also seems to be a blank spot in the sound when revving from idle after you stop.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG