The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
That 2 resets is a pretty big turn-off as well. LFS did away with that what, a year ago?

Although, a proper damage model is something highly missing from most all sims atm.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Not seeing where you are getting this from. Pickup racing is one thing, but I have not seen league races where they allow people to cut tracks... unless the driver is running some club type event with little regard to professionalism. I know for a fact the STCC and eTM enforce/d these rules. I was a driver for one and I am an admin for the other. So there is at least two leagues that have/has enforced these rules.

Just picked the 3rd STCC race (Aston Club) the "Senna-S", "Dingle-Dell" and the last corner are constantly cutted, as in 2 wheels in the dirt, 2 on the curb and none in the confines of the track...
In STCC season 1, the curb was specifically defined as being part of the track, and therefore 2 wheels on the curb was not a cut in the rules. If/when drivers exceeded that tolerance, they were penalised.
Quote from SamH :In STCC season 1, the curb was specifically defined as being part of the track, and therefore 2 wheels on the curb was not a cut in the rules. If/when drivers exceeded that tolerance, they were penalised.

Quote from xaotik :In a world where people believe that a god's kid can be born by a virgin woman after being commanded to do so by a lily-bearing angel, I find it hard to accept that you find it hard to accept.

according to my religious education your country is to blame for that one

Quote from aoun :Yes ofcourse iRacing is expensive in sim-racing terms, but in general terms, its cheap. Its much cheaper then a car loan or a house loan, so whats the whining ay? iRacing is very cheap! How are peoples sarcasm meter's running?

did you compare it to what it costs to raise kids these days?
i think true sim racers should be required to keep their sex wee to themself

Quote from Electrik Kar :I wonder how many people laid down the money for a G25 before actually testing one, simply going by the online reviews and testimonials?

i did and i completely regret doing so... cost me a couple of months that ill never get back to get my money back from the crappy shop i bought it from
Quote from Shotglass :

I did and i completely regret doing so... cost me a couple of months that ill never get back to get my money back from the crappy shop i bought it from

I made that same mistake as well. My 12 year old brother now has it while I use my momo.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :I made that same mistake as well. My 12 year old brother now has it while I use my momo.

is he deaf lives alone and is at least 10 miles away from the next house?
Quote from Shotglass :is he deaf lives alone and is at least 10 miles away from the next house?

LOL I think he does now =)
Quote from SamH :In STCC season 1, the curb was specifically defined as being part of the track, and therefore 2 wheels on the curb was not a cut in the rules. If/when drivers exceeded that tolerance, they were penalised.

That's the point - I've not seen a RL-series that does that... We make up rules from our bad habits, to not having to deal with what we're doing wrong...

Let's face it, we're all guilty of cutting corners, as were we of exploiting the high nose-bug...

I'm not saying you can't reach the same level of professionalism in LfS, but having someone laying down some ground rules right from the start prevents many bad habits forming in the first place...
Two wheels off is not outlawed in iRacing. It just affects your safety rating. If you keep doing it lap after lap you'll be demoted to a lower class where your stuck with wreckers Atleast that's how I interpreted it.
I don't think it would make that drastic of a change to your rating.
Quote from ajp71 :Looking through the 'sporting code' uncovers quite a bit of info.

Quote :
Minimum Drivers / Maximum Drivers / Minimum Race Length
Rookie 6 12 20 Minutes
Class “D” 7 14 30 Minutes
Class “C” 10 20 45 Minutes
Class “B” 12 30 60 Minutes
Class “A” 12 30 60 Minutes

It seems from reading that if people want reasonably large grids they'll have to do long races, not something that everybody is interested in , especially given the fact that the majority of 30+ car races IRL are probably around the 20 minute mark.

Looking back at this thread it seems to me as if they are trying to discourage the casual racer, the guy who does only 1 or 2 races and doesn't even completes them (anyone looks at my CTRA page would see that me:schwitz but this would go someway as to explain the pricing.
It looks more like they are really aiming for the pro sim-racer with lots of free time only... gonna be lonely on the servers...

Apart from that I think everything is said and we can continue with our speculations now. We won't get any more real facts until we reach page 50 of this thread... so hurry up guys.
Quote from bbman :That's the point - I've not seen a RL-series that does that... We make up rules from our bad habits, to not having to deal with what we're doing wrong...

i seem to remember that there are rather a few corners in f1 (or at least were) that have exits as wide as the old blackwood after the backstraight where everyone had all 4 wheels way outside the white lines

Quote from Danke :Yea, but you should see his irating now... He can only race on the noob and wrecker servers.

demoted to btcc for poor driving in monaco?
Quote from PLAYLIFE :What are you talking about. I played the GTA demo.

I meant GTA vice City, Liberty City etc etc.
Quote from aoun :Money. The LFS Team seams like the only people out there not driven by it.

And the downside is slow development, no real tracks, few real cars and not much new content since release.
Quote from bbman :Am I reading the knowledge base right that we're not only robbed of the freedom to choose whom to race, but where (in terms of track) as well???

Show me a league where drivers can drive whatever track they want each round instead of what is determined by the league schedule.

Damn commie league admins, robbing everyone of their freedoms! :thumbsdow
Quote from DarrenMarsh :Show me a league where drivers can drive whatever track they want each round instead of what is determined by the league schedule.

A league is different from a simulator. One exists within the other and is one of many options. Well, it did/was until iR came along. Now the simulator is the league.. or the league is the simulator.. or something. Basically free will as a selectable option has been excluded from iR's menu system.
Quote from SamH :A league is different from a simulator. One exists within the other and is one of many options. Well, it did/was until iR came along. Now the simulator is the league.. or the league is the simulator.. or something. Basically free will as a selectable option has been excluded from iR's menu system.

How's that? Without trying the said sim I'm veeery sure that you can race on more than one car/track combo even if you have entered in a league, or have been automatically entered. It seems some restrictions are placed so that you can't race just about anything (at least on league/official races) against anyone but there is nothing suggesting that there is no choise. Even if the choise is to pay them more the choise is still there, teh freedom to choose what to do.
Quote from SamH :Now the simulator is the league.. or the league is the simulator.. or something.

Or it's a league with a bespoke simulator.

With LFS and other sims you pay for the sim and go run your own league/online service.

With iRacing you pay for the league/online service and the sim comes with it.

That's the whole difference between subscription and one off pricing. With one off pricing you're just paying for the game/sim. With subscription pricing you're paying for the online service, not the sim. Running an online service has higher ongoing costs, so the subscription is needed to cover that.

iRacing is double dipping by having the subscription for the online service then having one off payments to buy what you drive online. That's the one aspect of their pricing I'm not keen on, but the free credits should cover most of the extra cost.
Quote from SamH :Basically free will as a selectable option has been excluded from iR's menu system.

You have free will not to subscribe though.
With the lack of anything real to evaluate, this thread is bound to become repetitive, but, hey, its way too entertaining to leave alone...

Quote from Mackie The Staggie :

I love how people always look for something for nothing, ....

I really don't understand this perspective. If you can get something for nothing, you're implying that there's something wrong with that. Why?

Admittedly, you often get what you pay for, so if its cheap, its most probably also crap, but this isn't always true. So you're doing yourself (and more importantly, the rest of us) a disservice by paying top dollar, just because that's the price you're given.
Quote from dontsimon :You have free will not to subscribe though.

Oh, really? I thought this was coming out of my taxes. :rolleyes:
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG