The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
#801 - Woz
I think people are right on the community thing. In my early days I would not have improved had it not been for being on servers with better people who also took the time to give tips and setups if it was a quiet server etc.

Sounds like this will never happen in iRacing because as a newer player you will never be on the server with better drivers, the skill balance system and other balancing systems will make sure of that.

TBH. It is all a moot point anyway. As many countries are now tipping into a big slowdown/recesion and fuel prices climb through the roof the amount of disposable cash people will have will get smaller and smaller. As there is talk of fuel at $200/barrel I would say the real pain has not yet even started.

Subscription based products will have to fight with many other things for that ever shrinking pot of disposable cash. Pay once use always stuff like LFS will appeal more as things get worse.

I think iRacing have picked a small market. Made it serious enough to shrink that market further and in the current climate priced themselves into an even smaller market.

Only time will tell although I will still not try until there is a FREE demo I am selective with my cash and can't remember the last dud software I purchased, I always try before buy so I know the product is not crap.
#802 - col
Quote from Rotareneg :I suspect they're betting they'll get enough "if it's expensive, it has to be better!" idiots, just like audiophiles who swear by their $485 volume knobs.

Surely that is a joke?

iWincing
Quote from col :Surely that is a joke?

iWincing

Sadly not. I think the entire scam has been blown open now, though.. bit of a repeat of the Ratners episode, I think [edit]noo.. perfect comparison, the emperor's new clothes!![/edit]. It was an extraordinary, and very very sad, demonstration of how gullible people are.
Quote from danowat :All will be revealed in due course

+1

Can you guys please wait for the NDA to be lifted so we can actually get some real info.
Yeah, it's a bit premature to write the whole thing off just yet. You guys are depressing.
Quote from PMD9409 :+1

Can you guys please wait for the NDA to be lifted so we can actually get some real info.

Sure thing, but I already know that I am not willing to pay that much for sim racing, even though I could... the whole point I race online is because it's cheap. I have paid a total of just over $200 to play for the last 6 years including a wheel, they are sextupling this figure if I want to continue playing for the next six years when I could continue playing other simulators for 0 more dollar input.

There are other ways of bringing great content into the game/simulator, other than increasing the amount each person pays for the service. There is no reason why LFS and other simulators can put in place a league structure that would increase the level of professionalism with the drivers, other than nobody has done it yet.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :I could continue playing other simulators for 0 more dollar input.

well i hope we have s3, before that time limid, but i know what you mean
If S3 ever comes
Perhaps while we're waiting for this hi-value product to arrive, you guys might be interested in listening to some music. If so, you'll no doubt be very interested in these fantastic value-for-money products for your hi-fi setups..

A top-quality mains power cable, only £299. The site says: "Hurricane season has arrived! Introducing the REFERENCE W&M Tornado Audiophile power cord. A 12 AWG versatile 3-core twist wire design bound to SILVER Reference Grade IEC power plugs which effortlessly excel to pack an intense amount of ultra-transparent conductive power. This vortex is then housed in a braided demagnetising low inductance and high capacitance geometric design. The plugs are attached to a body of deoxit treated Continuous Cast Pure OFC. Regarded by aficionados as superior to anything else, these AC plugs have already won numerous accolades!"

You can use it to power your Kemp Power Source (at a mere £950) about which the site says "This is a superb product and a must for all dedicated audiophiles who wish to glean that last ounce of detail and clarity from their system".

However, we think you should go all-out for the Nordost "Valhalla" Bi-Wired Speaker Cables, at £10999.95. As the site says, "Speed, Detail, and an incredibly realistic presentation of the musical event are the qualities that set Valhalla speaker cable apart. This cable is the most neutral loudspeaker cable every developed. If you want to hear every nuance and musical detail with the most extreme accuracy that your system is capable of, Valhalla is the only choice."

For those of you who think that's expensive, you're absolutely wrong. The £11K price INCLUDES delivery, and is in fact for A PAIR of cables! See! Less than half the price!

The thing about stupidly high priced audiophile products is that if they are as high quality as advertised, they are surely better quality than the equipment used to record the music in the first place.

I doubt any normal recording studio goes to those lengths. It's likely the music might even sound worse, as imperfections and noises which weren't noticeable during the recording might suddenly be audible.
And I thought monster cables were a con!

*faints*
Quote from Jakg :And I thought monster cables were a con!

*faints*

Here, have a nice glass of cold water =)
#813 - col
Quote from SamH :...
For those of you who think that's expensive, you're absolutely wrong. The £11K price INCLUDES delivery, and is in fact for A PAIR of cables! See! Less than half the price!

"Price Promise
If you find the Nordost "Valhalla" Bi-Wired Spk Cable - 6m Pair cheaper than £10999.95, including Vat, Postage, Packing & Delivery, please contact us and we’ll beat the price."

I could knock up something that you won't hear an audible difference with for a few quid. The saddest part is that they could probably beat that price and still make a profit!
Quote from SamH :For those of you who think that's expensive, you're absolutely wrong. The £11K price INCLUDES delivery, and is in fact for A PAIR of cables!

It should also include the services of a hunter, to shoot every bird in the vicinity. Birdsong in the garden ruins your S/N ratio, as every audiophile knows. Can't have that, can we? (Maybe he should shoot the neighbours too, who keep playing their Tom Jones and Celine Dion records.)

I used to wonder if audiophiles were crazy. Now I'm certain.
Quote from wsinda :I used to wonder if audiophiles were crazy. Now I'm certain.

they go all out for perfection then listen with there imperfect ears
People want to get screwed.. Until that stops, silly overpriced products will be sold in any market.

I thought about designing and selling some ''ultra extreme hifi'' stuff, its great. Engineering is purely to backup marketing bullcrap, and you just have to buy one of those 'reviewers' a very nice lunch.. or a car.. and in comes the money!
I don't want to get screwed. But the idea of racing at Limerock or Watkins Glen in cars similar to my own before I do my first track day at said tracks is appealing to me.
Quote from Technique :I don't want to get screwed. But the idea of racing at Limerock or Watkins Glen in cars similar to my own before I do my first track day at said tracks is appealing to me.

You can get these in other games as well. WG comes in NASCAR 2003 IIRC. Limerock is in RF I believe too.
A nascar is not similar to my own car though... My knowledge of rFactor is lacking, but I was under the assumption that the physics are only good in a few mods (good meaning acceptable but not as good as LFS).
Quote from Technique :A nascar is not similar to my own car though... My knowledge of rFactor is lacking, but I was under the assumption that the physics are only good in a few mods (good meaning acceptable but not as good as LFS).

the only two cars that will be available I though for Iracing was a stockcar and legend car. IIRC with Nascar you can get different cars as well.

RF is ok, it just feels funny at the limit and you don't need to be at the limit to learn which corner is next =)
Does iRacing have your exact car then?
Few linkies from RSC:
http://www.answers-script.com/iracing/index.php - answers to questions plus some menu vids
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/ (able to download Terms of Use and End User License Agreement, Privacy Policy and the First sporting code)

---
EDIT: Those hi-end cables have nothing to do with iracing in any way. iracing is not even remotely as expensive. If the price is really such a big issue you might as well stick with LFS (like some have already chosen to do) 'till eternity. At some stage you may have to dish out £12 more for the latest alpha but it's still the best there ever ever can be. And it's dirt cheap!!!1111888
We may provide your email address to third parties for such third parties to contact you about their products, services, information and news that may be of interest to you. If you wish that we do not provide your email address to third parties for these purposes, we will provide you with the option to “opt out.”

giving them money gets more and more appealing each day
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :the only two cars that will be available I though for Iracing was a stockcar and legend car. IIRC with Nascar you can get different cars as well.

RF is ok, it just feels funny at the limit and you don't need to be at the limit to learn which corner is next =)

You start with the Legends car and a Pontiac Solstice, which is a road car more akin to a Mazda MX-5 than a stockcar. The other road cars we know about so far are the Skip Barber, Formula Mazda and Radical SR8.

Given the choice, to practice for a real world event I think I'd rather do practice on a reasonably recent laser scanned model of the track than a modders approximation. You might learn more than just what corner is next, which would only take 1 lap at Lime Rock
Looking through the 'sporting code' uncovers quite a bit of info.

Quote :
Minimum Drivers / Maximum Drivers / Minimum Race Length
Rookie 6 12 20 Minutes
Class “D” 7 14 30 Minutes
Class “C” 10 20 45 Minutes
Class “B” 12 30 60 Minutes
Class “A” 12 30 60 Minutes

It seems from reading that if people want reasonably large grids they'll have to do long races, not something that everybody is interested in , especially given the fact that the majority of 30+ car races IRL are probably around the 20 minute mark.

It seems there will be a 60 second wait on the grid, something that is lacking in LFS and road courses will start from a standing start without a formation lap and with the possibility of a false start.

Quote :5.1.7.4. Yellow Flag – When displayed motionlessly (Standing Yellow), indicates
danger, no passing, be prepared to slow down. When displayed with motion
(Waving Yellow), indicates extreme danger, no passing, be prepared to slow
down, track may be partially or completely blocked. In either case,
Competitors may not pass until the Yellow flag is removed, as indicated by
the absence of the Yellow flag and/or presence of the Green flag at the next
corner station.

The rules make it clear yellows have to be obeyed, so hopefully people will finally be made to take notice of them.

Quote :5.1.10.7. A driver may call for a tow to the pits at any point during a session by
pressing the “Enter/Exit/Tow Car” control, which will return the driver to
his/her pit box and effect necessary repairs. The driver will not gain a time or
lap-count advantage in the process and will rejoin the session with the same
lap total as scored at the time he/she pitted for repairs. In any official race, a
driver may only be towed into the pits (by pressing “Enter/Exit/Tow Car”)
twice. A third attempt will result in removal from the race, and the driver’s
finishing position will be determined by his/her last lap completed. A driver
may pit under power, without pressing “Enter/Exit/Tow Car,” (and without
receiving repairs) as often as he/she chooses.

It seems there's two chances to get a new car and stay in the race, which rather goes against the whole professionalism thing.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG