The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I really just suck, I'm currently in a race (pulled out cuz I'm outright dangerous) and I was in 5th, spun, started last, got back to 6th, spun, started last again, got to 7th before spinning and pulling out.

My quest to improve my safety rating is just resulting in it getting worse... 15 laps and... 6 incident points... Hurrah!

EDIT: hilariously enough, my safety rating actually did improve

Did they recognise you from the STCC broadcasts yet, then
I need to stop racing! its more addicting than i ever thought.

I'm definitely getting a one year subscription.
Nah, my famous driving has yet to extend to iRacing. Soon it shall, and once it does... they'll add rallyx so I can win more races.

Red Scorpion - The only reason I've stopped driving is so I can drive earlier tomorrow morning :P
Have to say that Laguna Seca is pretty tricky. On LRP I'm only ~1sec off the pace compared to what top three is usually running but on Laguna Seca I can only manage steady 1.55 pace when faster guys run 1.49
You're probably not focusing enough on your corner exit speeds crommi. Just make sure you do late apexes on corners before long straights and you'll shave off a few seconds.
Yeah Laguna's pretty hard. I entered the first race there on Saturday after only doing two practices sessions - bad idea! PMD was running a full second faster than my fastest lap.

Biggest issue I had was getting two tires off track in the corkscrew. Not only do you get 1 incident point, you're forced to slow down to a stop or you get black flagged.... I did that twice in the race... argh.
Yeah I'm really liking laguna seca track. My first try today, was doing 1:55, after a few practice laps and a race I was down to 1:50.9. Still have some work to do as there are many guys out there doing low 49's.

Out of the available road tracks, which one do you guys recommend to buy first along with the skippy?
I think the best way to purchase stuff is to get those that you need for the season.

Just realised there's nothing more frustrating than have 3rd guy smash both you and 2nd guy out of the race, winning it and gaining Safety Rating
I wonder just how realistic iRacing is....

There's no way I can be as fast as Gan San after a few laps especially when he's in a faster car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=21HwiUsEmLU

I can't imagine a slowstice being faster than an rx-8 at laguna.
Quote from Technique :I wonder just how realistic iRacing is....

There's no way I can be as fast as Gan San after a few laps especially when he's in a faster car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=21HwiUsEmLU

I can't imagine a slowstice being faster than an rx-8 at laguna.

In sims you don't have to be afraid for your life, so lap times can't be 1:1 between real life and sim.
Guessing i am late but has anyone got any spare invites?
Quote from Crommi :In sims you don't have to be afraid for your life, so lap times can't be 1:1 between real life and sim.

Does the "laser scanning" also see how much grip each different section has, and how the various skid marks / oil / general crap etc affect the amount of grip?

Didn't think so...
Quote from Jakg :Does the "laser scanning" also see how much grip each different section has, and how the various skid marks / oil / general crap etc affect the amount of grip?

Didn't think so...

No, but even if those were possible to calculate in future sims, it still wouldn't make a valid laptime comparison. There won't be a sim that will be 100% accurate with tracks, cars and laptimes. Guy sitting infront of computer will always be little bit faster than the one who's sweating in his racecar.

But speaking of which, laser scanning has nothing to do with measuring the grip levels or dynamic changes in track condition (oil spill, driving line rubber)

Edit: I think I've become a fanboy, please shoot me.
Quote from rc10racer :Guessing i am late but has anyone got any spare invites?

Quote from Jertje :Seconded!

Thirded? lol. I subscribed on the site but only got the welcome email's
Still waiting patiently and tryin other sims but I have a feeling I'd love this one for some reason. :P
Regarding the lap times, I guess the RX8 is on street tires, the iRacing Solstice looks to be on some sort of race tires. I don't know if you put a real life Solstice and an identical iRacing Solstice on the same track that the times would be super-close, but I think there are too many variables here to write off the accuracy of iRacing based on this comparison.
Quote from Crommi :But speaking of which, laser scanning has nothing to do with measuring the grip levels or dynamic changes in track condition (oil spill, driving line rubber)

I know, i was just saying that you will never be able to make a valid comparison between RL laps and sim-laps (although if a guy gets a 4 min lap on the 'ring you know somethings borked!)
Couldn't resist buying the skip barber

Needless to say, the first few laps i was going backwards more than forward. A few laps later on LRP and i started feeling how its possible to really push the car around corners.Very nice car to drive.

Any idea what a good laptime for skippy around LRP is?
Quote from Jakg :I know, i was just saying that you will never be able to make a valid comparison between RL laps and sim-laps (although if a guy gets a 4 min lap on the 'ring you know somethings borked!)

Are we arguing about something we both agree on?
NO!

(Well, yes, but then we wouldn't be arguing!)

If my new job comes through I should be earning enough to give iRacing a whirl. Since my eBay thingy died I've had no cash and I wanna try this!
Quote from Red_Scorpion :Out of the available road tracks, which one do you guys recommend to buy first along with the skippy?

VIR is the outstanding track for iRacing imo. Plenty of configs as well.
Quote from Red_Scorpion :Couldn't resist buying the skip barber

Needless to say, the first few laps i was going backwards more than forward. A few laps later on LRP and i started feeling how its possible to really push the car around corners.Very nice car to drive.

58.186 was made by greger huttu on the skip barber's seasons first week, but I belive that wasn't with the latest build, but should give somekind of a guideline.

And get your msn on too f00!
Quote from Red_Scorpion :Couldn't resist buying the skip barber

Since you said you were going to get the one year subscription, you could have waited until you buy the one year so that you could use the iRacing dollars to buy the skippy and some tracks. But now I guess since you bought the skippy you could use the iR dollars to pay for tracks for the series.
Quote from Jonesy_ :58.186 was made by greger huttu on the skip barber's seasons first week, but I belive that wasn't with the latest build, but should give somekind of a guideline.

And get your msn on too f00!

There has been 2 physics updates this month, the times are not comparable.
Anyone has any idea of the following:

When I don't continue my subscription after this initial month, does my account get deleted or does it remain stored and the ratings and such stay as they are if I choose to re subscribe at another time?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG