The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Does this happen to you often?

It has happened in 2 out of 42 sessions.

Quote from durbster :Some fairly reliable Solstice laptimes (magazine tests)

That is the road car, not the same thing we've got in iRacing. Comparing laps to reality is pointless, there are too many variables so laptimes should be whole seconds out, trying to get realistic laptimes will only result in ISI style botching.
Quote from Crommi :Blackflag rule really needs some work, currently cutting the track gives you some sort of "half-black" that you need to clear off by stopping the car.

Just take your foot off the throttle until it goes.

Also, the corkscrew black flag isn't more sensitive than any other, it's just easier to get wrong

Next time you get one, check the replay and you'll most likely find you've got 1/2 the car over the dirt, which is the trigger.
Quote from ajp71 :It has happened in 2 out of 42 sessions.

That is the road car, not the same thing we've got in iRacing. Comparing laps to reality is pointless, there are too many variables so laptimes should be whole seconds out, trying to get realistic laptimes will only result in ISI style botching.

The Rookie Solstice in iRacing is a standard road car with a roll cage and hard top - so standard road car lap times should apply. The advanced solstice is the factory Z0K model, which I believe is their sport model intended for racers.
Quote from Technique :The Rookie Solstice in iRacing is a standard road car with a roll cage and hard top - so standard road car lap times should apply. The advanced solstice is the factory Z0K model, which I believe is their sport model intended for racers.

Yeah, the Solstice is the bone stock Z0K model, the only thing that makes it a lot faster than those reference times you guys have looked up is that it's running DOT legal (although you wouldn't really want to drive them on the street) race rubber - the Hoosier R6:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/ ... =Hoosier&tireModel=R6

these have at least 30% more grip than normal ultra high performance street tires.
It's good to know about the tires, thanks for the info. I figured they would be race tires of some kind, making it difficult to compare with real life laptimes done on street tires...

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Alternate Excuse: You were warping too much, I couldn't find you.

Well it appeared you were looking for me in the middle of a gravel trap as I passed you

Nice job in the last race tonight! You are sucking less by the hour
Yeah, well it's because I'm gaining more money for my year of iRacing, I thought I should suck less so I can drive more.

<.<
Quote from Technique :The Rookie Solstice in iRacing is a standard road car with a roll cage and hard top - so standard road car lap times should apply. The advanced solstice is the factory Z0K model, which I believe is their sport model intended for racers.

'Standard' = rollcage (greatly increased chassis stiffness), roof which changes aerodynamics, some weight saving, different tyres and probably changed (but locked and controlled) shocks and dampers.

It all adds up and makes a considerable difference over the standard car.
Quote from George Kuyumji :There has been 2 physics updates this month, the times are not comparable.

So, based on the latest physics updates, the new lap times are supposed to be faster or slower?
The Rookie solstice is also the Z0K Club Sport. It says so on the site. I would imagine that it would be quite a bit faster than the stock car, considering it's uprated suspension, lsd, Hoosiers, better brakes, added stiffness due to roll cage etc. and less weight due to removed radio a/c and all.

The only difference between the Rookie and the Advanced Solstice seems to be suspension setup and adjustability.
Quote from Red_Scorpion :So, based on the latest physics updates, the new lap times are supposed to be faster or slower?

Slower.
There's still some work to do with current physics, there's some discussion going on about tire pressures and how cars seem to benefit from running with "too high" cold pressure. Ofcourse it increases lockups but looks like reduction in rolling resistance is maybe bit too much.
bit too much?
If the size of the tire vs tire pressure is a known physics formula, the drag is another physics formula, how can it go WRONG?
if its wrong, its due to the tiresize vs tirePressure thing being wrong, which means the whole tire is modelled wrong - it is either too malleable or too little malleable.
Quote from RocksGt :Horribly biased

Why's that?

It's a Japanese program, and they liked the American car. This also isn't the first time they've complained about the MX5.
How do you save a replay? I see an icon of what I think is a floppy, but nothing happens when I click it.
As i understand (read somewhere, not a user yet) its not currently possible to save a replay. Apperantly its been worked on but replay files are just too large at the moment .
I just downloaded the Skip Barber, the Radical, and Silverstone. I decided to take the Skip Barber out first, on Lime Rock Park as it's the track I'm most familiar with from the Solstice. First impression is that the view out of this car is great compared to the Solstice (well duh!), and I can see a lot more of the surroundings of the track which is nice. The second thing I notice is that this track is BUMPY and you can feel bumps through the FF that you didn't even know existed in the Solstice. The wheel is constantly moving about in your hands as you watch the front wheels move up and down over bumps. It feels a little too much given what I've been used to so far, but I haven't driven a real single seater on a bumpy track so I don't know what's right and what's not. Braking into the first corner on my first flying lap, I lock up both fronts badly, oops! I need to put half a squash ball under my brake pedal I think... After a couple of laps I'm actually kind of underwhelmed by the car, but this is how I felt with the Solstice initially until I started to get comfortable with it and began to push it harder. So after another 10 or 15 laps in the Skippy I am starting to get used to it and enjoy it more. It really turns in on the brakes, and it's easier to place it where you want than is the case with the Solstice. The bumps in the last turn of LRP are a non-issue for the most part in the Solstice once you have your line down, but I found them quite difficult to negotiate in the Skippy. Application of opposite lock has to be quick and precise, and more than once I found I didn't get the opposite lock off quickly enough and ended up firing the car off the outside of the corner. Certainly a fun car, but I think it's going to take a bunch of practice to get used to it and for it to really come alive for me.

On to the Radical, again at LRP. Starting out I'm a little uneasy to be sitting on the right side of the car, but within a couple of laps it's not an issue. I short-shift on the first couple of straights and then run it to the limiter through a couple of gears later in the lap, which becomes very addictive! On the no-name straight I hit 85mph in the Solstice, and 130mph in the Radical.... Through the turns the Radical seems more comfortable over the bumps than the Skippy, you can really feel the grip and stability in higher speed turns. But I'm not too confident on the throttle coming out of turns as I imagine it's not exactly a playful car to slide out of corners. Maybe it is for Greger Huttu, but not for Michael Denham at this stage :P The Radical would really be better suited to a higher speed, smoother circuit, and as I just downloaded Silverstone, I load it up The longer gearing I chose for Silverstone took the edge of the acceleration, and the smoother wider track probably make the car feel slower too. It definitely is a lot smoother here, and the car feels much more comfortable on this smooth wide track. The curbs are also much friendlier here which is very good. I always feel a bit lost on the wide Silverstone circuit, and it was no different in the Radical in iRacing. I have never really spent enough time here to get all that comfortable, but I'm sure I will when one of the series comes to this track. The rear wing is adjustable on the Radical (but the front is not), so I decide to set it to zero and see what speed I can hit on the straights at Silverstone. I figure this would change the balance significantly so I set the rear sway bar to soft and add a whack of rear toe-in. Doesn't help much as I still spin into the first turn I also forgot to change the brake balance, and without all the rear downforce, I end up locking up my rear tires and doing a nice 180... On the straight at LRP I managed 150mph, but with the longer gearing and rear wing set to zero degrees I manage 160mph at Silverstone. So not a huge top speed but it sure accelerates quickly up to around 120 or 130mph. When you actually have the sense to put some rear wing on the car, it also brakes very well indeed. Anyway, I enjoy the Radical more than the Skip Barber car, but I have always been into road cars and sports racing cars rather than single seaters...
Michael... send me 35$ plz. Address in PM.

EDIT: Wait, you know vaguely where I live, drive it over here!
I gave HiPricing another go tonight, don't know why but I still cannot get anywhere near sensible lap times. I don't know if I just don't understand the car or if it's because I'm having trouble using only about 30% of my brake pedal travel or what, but I'm way off. Averaging 1:53s around Laguna Seca, but can't get any faster.

It's weird because everything happens so slowly in that car, it's hard to figure out how I could possibly lose so much time... Pissing me off now tbh.
Kev, I know the feeling, I can only do 1:52's, and MD above is doing 1:49's and stuff.

I think we're destined to be eternally slow.

EDIT: At least we know that the slower the driver, the better the lover...
Quote from thisnameistaken :I gave HiPricing another go tonight, don't know why but I still cannot get anywhere near sensible lap times. I don't know if I just don't understand the car or if it's because I'm having trouble using only about 30% of my brake pedal travel or what, but I'm way off. Averaging 1:53s around Laguna Seca, but can't get any faster.

It's weird because everything happens so slowly in that car, it's hard to figure out how I could possibly lose so much time... Pissing me off now tbh.

Well if anything, Ipricing has made me sure to not ever buy me a
solstice.
I'll quote lefty on this one "you can't drive it, you have to navigate it"

As it acts like a boat, I find it better to start the braking smoothly unlike in lfs where you slam the brakes and gradually come off from them.
By my logics getting gently on the early braking allows the nose to dive giving the fronts more load, and this extra load prevents them from locking up so easily.

I might be talking just bs too!
that doesn't sound too farfetched jonesy.

These small roadsters with pretty even weight distribution rely a lot on the forward weight transfer

Do you not get any suspension adjustment? I have never had any desire to go sailing around laguna seca before.
In the Rookie version of the car there are no setup adjustments at all, just a fixed setup. It's nice for good close racing and allowing people to focus on learning to drive the car and circuit rather than worrying about setups. But then when you get into the Advanced version, it's the same car with the ability to modify your setup. The default setup is also faster and more enjoyable to drive.
... I just had the most awesome race there. I started 10th, overtook people 1 by one up to 3rd, was a great race; sweating bullets, and then I threw it away in the last corner.

But, I got a 1:51 finally Most fun I've EVER had in a sim, bar none.

Kev, what's your bloody last name, so I can stalk you down?
Hi guys, i've followed the discussion, i'm really interested in trying and eventually buying and partecipating in that sim.
So a obvious question.
I'm searching for spare invites..
Does anyone still have one?
it would be really really appreciated
thanks.
Quote from XsX! :Hi guys, i've followed the discussion, i'm really interested in trying and eventually buying and partecipating in that sim.
So a obvious question.
I'm searching for spare invites..
Does anyone still have one?
it would be really really appreciated
thanks.

My understanding is that the intial round of invites has now closed and that you need to register on the iRacing website to have a chance of being in the next round.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG