The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I'm going to have to cancel my subscription for a while until I get me a new PC. I just cant race on road tracks and it is about time I move up, the old girl has seen many years of service with me, and upgrading it is not an option. However when I get it it will be a full years subscription and concentrating on road tracks instead of oval racing (although I will not totally abandon the ovals)

So till then guys, I catch you latter.
Quote from Itar (CZ) :....but what's so bad about sharing you real name with others?

The bad people on the internetz will steal your identity and soon you'll have no house to live in.

Quote from jasonmatthews :Lol, I was in that race, didn't recognise your name. Son of a bitch game though! I was coming 2nd, no mistakes, driving smooth as butter, then bang, flat tyre. WTF? 1st time I have had a flat in a rookie, and only 8 laps in, absolutely baffles me why I had a flat

I know exactly what kind of driving should produce a flat tyre, and I did nothing like that....

I saw you off the track, the flat tyre came just after the incident I think. I just had a worse one though, finished 3rd, should of won but a backmarker just slammed on his brakes while 3 of us piled into him. Then after the race I stopped half off the track, spectated, then saw incident points flashing up. Some guy basically drove flat out into my car on his screen, but I was spectated on mine, and still got the points, which took loads of SR from me
Just went from first to last because of a disconnect. "iracing has stopped responding." What a stupid way to lose a race and get 3 incident points. I'm pissed.
My races are getting harder because I am getting close to the top 25 in the series, which means I am being put against the fastest guys in the class...eeep
I'll tell you whats really annoying me lately on Laguna Seca. It's in my nature to try and push the car as much as possible, and this means I often stick a couple of wheels of the road if I'm giving it a tad too much. I can't see why this should give me incident points. I'm not endangering anyone else, and I lose time doing so, so I already have enough incentive to stay on the track. IMO it's far too punishing, and should only give you incident points when you have 3 or more wheels off track, like the hlvc system in LFS.
All the incident points that were my fault came from running 2 wheels on the dirt. I know why that do it, but it is very strict.

I have noticed that the Class D drivers seem to expect the Rookies to move over for them, so they make risky moves on them, they seem suprised when I do the same back to them a lap later.
Did I read somewhere that it's not two wheels off that'll give you points, it's putting the centerline of the car off? Seems to me I can drop two wheels ever so slightly in spots without getting points.

I also just updated to the latest nVidia drivers and turned off Vsync. Hopefully that will prevent me from ever getting a disconnect like that again... Finishing last and getting incident points because iracing stopped responding... now [I]that's[I] annoying.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Just had my first ever negative SR score, but still came 3rd. iRacing is much better, everyone was blaming each other but we all joined post race chat and sorted it out nicely. Basically a car was slow up the hill to the corkscrew, I backed out and the guy behind got alongside, but my car was blocking him in from passing the other guy. I was about to back out before braking when the guy alongside turned across me, which resulted in a 3 car pile up.

I did come across the first **** though, at the start he was telling the rookies that they had to focus on their SR and don't try to race or win with the other guys. Then afterwards he was busy blaming everyone else for his accidents, caused by him blocking constantly.

I was also in that race. Finished last, but I was concentrating on SR not iRating.
I was the voice on the mic - the one that said "Less Blah Blah, more Vroom Vroom".
Yeh I just said settle it in the post race in the end, I was getting annoyed that the Juan guy who had gone out of the race with 8 laps to go but felt like telling me to drive safe, when it was just a racing incident.
Seems like racing in the Rookie series is not very clean. But then again, that's to be expected sort of. I have to say, though, that while I was racing the Rookie Solstice, I never saw any deliberate wrecking and only very little recklessness. You guys should race the Adv. Solstice. I found racing to be much cleaner there and quite respectful.

In the skippies on the other hand it seems like half the field usually goes off sooner or later (at least at VIR full). Makes for some easy points if you can keep it on track. I picked up two finishes in the top 5 in the skippy series, even though I'm not up to pace at all in the races I'm usually in, not at VIR anyway.

And for some reason my iRating seems to be too high for my pace. I just broke into the 2000s after my last top 5 finish in the skippy and I don't see myself winning anything in +1,800 SoFs.

Looking forward to Summit Point, though. That's aleady a very fun track in the Solstice and after about 5 laps of practice in the skippy I can see it being a true blast.
They could do with highlighting the name when someone in your friends list is on the server. I have added a load of you but can't remember all your names
Quote from titanLS :Did I read somewhere that it's not two wheels off that'll give you points, it's putting the centerline of the car off? Seems to me I can drop two wheels ever so slightly in spots without getting points.

Just ran a couple of laps trying out that theory and you're spot on! Two wheels off = OK. Half the car off = er.. not OK. Seems more than fair to me.
Quote from linsen :
And for some reason my iRating seems to be too high for my pace. I just broke into the 2000s after my last top 5 finish in the skippy and I don't see myself winning anything in +1,800 SoFs.

what is an averate irating?

when I moved up to class D I started with one around 2050. D: I was paired with the fastest qualified drivers in the last solstice race I did. (granted I'm now qualified 6th overall...but can't race that quick)
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :My races are getting harder because I am getting close to the top 25 in the series, which means I am being put against the fastest guys in the class...eeep

I have noticed that the Class D drivers seem to expect the Rookies to move over for them, so they make risky moves on them, they seem suprised when I do the same back to them a lap later.

Matchmaking is based on your iRating (cannot see as rookie but it's calculated)

As for risky moves, it's just a matter of having confidence that you can pull some moves which might look risky/aggressive but do their job without being actually dangerous. It comes with experience and skill, unlike dive-bombing which reflects lack of both.
Which car in iRacing feels most like it could be LFS? For me its the Legends car on a Road Course. Feels close to LFS driving feeling wise, also the Formula Mazda feels closer to LFS then any other Sims.

Quote from titanLS :Did I read somewhere that it's not two wheels off that'll give you points, it's putting the centerline of the car off? Seems to me I can drop two wheels ever so slightly in spots without getting points.

There was endless discussion and tweaking in the beta phase. First the limit was 4 wheels off, people cutted corners, then it was 2 wheels off, people complained alot, then they changed it to centerpoint of the car is the edge.
At the beginning it might piss you off but after a while you will see 2 or 3 incident points per race are not that big of a deal and the Safety Rating will climb if you dont collect alot more incident points.

Quote from jasonmatthews :They could do with highlighting the name when someone in your friends list is on the server. I have added a load of you but can't remember all your names

That would be nice and might be easy to add. Suggest it in the iRacing Feedback Forum too, devs will read it there and might include it in the next updates.
Solstice pushes around like RB4 and I think FOX can be quite alot like Skippy if set downforce and rear rebound to minimum plus increase tire pressures to remove some of that "excessive" grip. Oh, and set diff to "open" if it's possible.
Just got my 3rd win, my 1st one at Laguna and my first one with 0 incidents. I was gifted it really because the guy who lead from pole and beat me in the previous race is having problems with his brake pedal, but it makes up for the times I should have won and got taken out.
Quote from Crommi :Solstice pushes around like RB4 and I think FOX can be quite alot like Skippy if set downforce and rear rebound to minimum plus increase tire pressures to remove some of that "excessive" grip. Oh, and set diff to "open" if it's possible.

I don't think you'll be able to mimic the characteristics of the road tires on the skippy, even with over inflated r4's. You should be able to get pretty close though. The skippy just feels...different than anything I've driven though. You can really feel the suspension moving around both through the wheel and watching the screen.
jeez, i just completely smashed some poor guy on the oval. car infront of me slowed down a lot more than expected, i lost control trying to avoid him and crashed into the guy next to me. I can't remember the last time i've felt as bad about my actions in a game.
Quote from Gabkicks :jeez, i just completely smashed some poor guy on the oval. car infront of me slowed down a lot more than expected, i lost control trying to avoid him and crashed into the guy next to me. I can't remember the last time i've felt as bad about my actions in a game.

omg!! did he die????
Probably, I just got another win! But messed up the incidents by running wide onto that green run off bit on the last corner half way through the race. I got a new PB though, it's a 1:49.422.

EDIT: Just finished 2nd with 0 incidents 8 seconds behind a Class C driver, but I nearly spun at one point and dropped to 5th. Big suprise afterwards, because my safety rating went up from 3.99 to 4.47!
Quote from George Kuyumji :also the Formula Mazda feels closer to LFS then any other Sims.

yup, it's so similiar to the FBM I want a refund.

actually the solstice is quite similiar as well given the right setup in LFS.
Quote from spanks :what is an averate irating?

when I moved up to class D I started with one around 2050. D: I was paired with the fastest qualified drivers in the last solstice race I did. (granted I'm now qualified 6th overall...but can't race that quick)

When I advanced to D my iRating was a little above 1,800 and I consider myself an average racer. It depends on how much you actually race, of course, but I'd say 2,050 is not bad to start out at in D. As a Rookie you start at 1,600, so that's a considerable gain.

As far as SoFs go, what is average depends on your own iRating, of course. Personally I have found that in the Adv. Solstice I usually end up in fields below or around my own iRating. The SoFs have seldomly been more than 100 pts above my iRating but considerably lower sometimes. 400 pts below my rating was the most difference I ever saw.

In the skippy the overall SoF seems to be a little higher most of the time for me, but still pretty much around my own iRating. That said, I think I was always one of the top5 cars in my skippy races and as I recently found out, there are usually several races at the same time where the Sofs are much lower and probably also one or two with a higher SoF.
Having ~2400 rating myself, I usually end up in same races with +3k aliens like McLean and then half of the field is much weaker which evens out average rating of the field. That's just because there is not that many high rated drivers yet so system fills up rest of the field using whatever drivers available.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG