The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Ok im thinking about taking the next step buying iRacing anything you can recommend? Cars tracks value for money ect ect??
You have a couple of options: the 3 month for $12 deal, the 3 month F1 deal with Silverstone and Zandvoort for $35, or the 1 year for $69 deal (normally $99).

Best thing to do is to get one of the first 2 offers and try all the free content first, and get out of the Rookie class before you do anything else. After that it depends on which car(s) you want to go and drive, from the Skip Barber, Star Mazda to the Mustang, V8 Supercar or further up to the Corvette GT1 and Indycar. Value for money, buy only the stuff you need
V8 is the most fun I ever had on iRacing... You have to put in quite a few hours to learn to control it though... Once you "mastered" it, there is nothing wiping that grin off your face driving it...

Boothy, do you have the replay of the Saturday race saved? I'd like to have a second look, but forgot to save it with our post-race chat (damn your T1 braking btw, cooked my tyres so hard they didn't come back on until 5 to go)...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/972540 ... 11S1W8ZandvoortGPRace2.7z

Did the 10:45 race as well, was the Celtic outsider in the grid of 20 packed full of Aussies, the previous races I did were tame in comparison! Tough with the traffic jam most of the race, and the ping meant I didn't want to be too aggressive, but it was good fun despite my finishing position of 15th!
Thanks!
So, I am currently rated 3.51 as rank C racer, 4.00 C means I am able to race rank B cars and get a rank up.

Which car would that be? I've still got one "For-Free" shot at a car.

Lotus 78?
I'm sorry, you have selected a car that does not exist, please try again.
Indycar if you're interested in open wheelers, or C6R if you're not. L79 is a fantastic amazing car, but the participation is terrible.
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :Lotus 78?

Try the Lotus 79

The car is an acquired taste. But if you acquire that taste you'll probably find it to be the best car in the sim

Fantastic community of drivers in the Lotus. Cleanest and friendliest group I've raced with in iRacing. Wide range of talent. Best behaved backmarkers. A real "gentleman's racing club atmosphere" around the Lotus.

Not as busy as some other series, but interest seems to have grown quite a lot this season.

Take a punt and come and join us. If you get on with the car you'll have a ball.
Quote from DeKo : but the participation is terrible.

Not true at all. You wont get splits very often apart from the big Sunday race and maybe one on Friday, but nearly all Euro prime time races go official.
Quite frankly it's what make the series a lot better than many others in iRacing. You don't end up racing a bunch of random people, you really get to know the guys in the community and build up some great rivalries. Much more of a league atmosphere in the Lotus.
I might have to get involved then, it is one of my favourite cars to just drive in a private test session, but I always assumed that the participation wasn't great after keeping an eye on it last season. Ah well, we all know what assumptions do, I might just start keeping an eye out for races. Just noticed it's going to Spa in a week or 2, that'll be great.
Someone had a suggestion about the upcoming Ford GT on the iR forums, one of the replies is so good it needs reposting here

Quote :Iracing should let Top Gear, review this game v.s. the real Ford GT. I'm sure just breathing Ford GT you could get them to do it.
The english version.... of course, not our crappy P.C. censored crap. Our version was just one more reason for them to keep referring to us as "colonists". That and the fact my freind can not get a mustang that has the steering on the right side. Which makes sense since hardly anybody drives on that side, but hey, who am i to argue with the queen. I'm just a colonist.

Quote :It may not go that well...

[Clarkson] When the producers told me I was going to drive the Ford GT I asked them why. After all I have owned one and driven several miles between petrol stations across the country. No, they said, think more Le Mans.

Short clip of Ford GTs at Le Mans

[Clarkson] Now they had my interest!

[Clarkson] Now I should point out that truly evil people follow two distinct career paths. The lesser ones become dictators and rule countries by fear whilst the most evil become producers of Top Gear. The case is proven when the evil producer explains my test drive will not be in a real Ford GT but a computer game.

[Clarkson] I argue until I am blue in the face that we have done this before and at least I got to drive the real car at Laguna Seca. Yet the producer insists that this is different and reels off a load of mumbo jumbo about physics until I am so bored I apparently agreed just to get him to shut up.

[Clarkson] The software in question is something called iRacing and is owned by John Henry, yes the same guy that just bought Liverpool football club and owns the Boston Red Sox. Quite why he didn’t just go out and buy a real Ford GT rather than get the best software developers in the world to make him a virtual one defeats me but then again he is American. Apparently I am not allowed to call it a game – it is a simulator and simulator “racing drivers” get sniffy if we say they are playing a game. [pulls face]

[Clarkson] So I strap myself in my desk chair and get ready to drive the Ford GT. I think I’ll pick VIR as I recently drove a Mercedes rather well around there in the last series. Only I can’t. The game er software only lets me drive a hairdresser's car around Lime Rock. So I join the next race, get a cracking start and aim to make it to the front at the first corner, it always worked for me in other games er software. It didn’t go too well. I did say sorry to everyone I hit but everyone seemed insistent I read the sporting code whatever that is and that they’d grass me up to some guy called Nim and that Nim would kick my sorry arse out of here. Worse still that they’d send some guy with a girls name round my house and of course being American he would have a gun (probably several). This wasn’t going very well.

[Clarkson] So I download the sporting code and decide to read it.

Clip of Clarkson looking bored

Sub title “A few hours later”

Clip of Clarkson looking bored

Sub title “Many days later”

Camera pans to Clarkson with several days worth of facial hair growth

[Clarkson] Apparently I have to earn the licence to be able to drive anything with more horsepower than a hairdryer. This could take years.

Clips of Clarkson crashing.

[Clarkson] This is hopeless, this isn’t going to make the show in this decade.

[Clarkson] So I spoke to the producers who spoke to the top brass at iRacing to see if they could pull some strings…and they did.

Clip of Clarkson pulling out of pits at VIR in the Ford GT

[Clarkson] That is more like it, POWER!

Clarkson spins out of the pit lane

Clarkson gets to the first corner and sticks the back wheels off track and spins

[Clarkson] Noooooo. This didn’t happen when a drove a real car around here

Many clips of Clarkson crashing and spinning

[Clarkson] It’s too hard!

More clips of Clarkson crashing and spinning

[Clarkson] I give up.

Clip of Clarkson climbing out the seat and leaving the room in disgust

[Clarkson] The problem with computer games, sorry I mean simulations, is that the people who are good at them live in basements and haven’t seen the light of day since they were forced to attend their Aunts wedding several years ago and are fed pizza and coke by their devoted mums waiting for them to grow out of this little phase and meet a nice girl sometime soon. So the developers have to make it insanely hard to be a challenge for the geeks. Which means that normal people that drive real cars simply can’t do it without locking themselves away for a few months on a diet of pizza and coke.

[Clarkson] So there we have it. After days of reading before I get on track and even then I can’t even drive anything decent, it is impossible to progress and I nearly got shot by a man called Shannon. Now I may not be the best driver in the world but I have driven a lot of fast cars very fast and can get around the track in a reasonable time and I don’t live in a basement. Please please please Mr evil producer – give me a real race prepared Ford GT to drive!

I even found myself reading it in a Clarkson voice
do it properly mate, thats with your H patter shifter on your right side and with a dog leg first layout, heaps more fun and unless you actually use 1st a lot it save on cross gate gearshifts
I just set it up as a dog-leg for the Lotus, feels great, had never thought of it before. Still finding it hard to re-wire my brain though after years of a standard gearbox, keep going into 1st and blowing the engine
if you've totally copied the real layout, just wait till you actually want 1st and hook it into reverse for god sake don't do that at the start unless you're on the back of the grid
Nah, I've kept to the traditional 1st at the bottom left, I'm having enough trouble with that without completely reversing it . I've also kept my shifter on the left hand side, I tried putting it on the right and just kept punching my desk with my left hand, I think that habit is too ingrained.
Pretty easy to do, you're not the only one to do that. It's even worse in the COT, have to nurse the car up to speed.
I've had the pleasure to be in TS with Parker Kligermann (real life NASCAR driver) who has told us on many occasions how that is very unrealistic. In the Nationwide series on fresh tires they can put the pedal to the floor and not have much or any wheel spin. With worn tires they do have some, but not as much as fresh tires in iR.

Of course this is one of the things that is supposed to be fixed with the tire model update, but I won't be holding my breath.
Quote from DeKo :Nah, I've kept to the traditional 1st at the bottom left, I'm having enough trouble with that without completely reversing it . I've also kept my shifter on the left hand side, I tried putting it on the right and just kept punching my desk with my left hand, I think that habit is too ingrained.

real life pattern's
R 2 4
------
1 3 5

This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG