The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
After our good race Quick, I just did one more. Got 9 fricken points because of boneheads backing up onto the track at the apex of the downhill...
incident avg. went from .80 to 1.5 and lost .25 safety rating.
bloody hell.

edit: And actually, I even reset to the pits and went a lap down, still finished 4th somehow.
Quote from titanLS :After our good race Quick, I just did one more. Got 9 fricken points because of boneheads backing up onto the track at the apex of the downhill...
incident avg. went from .80 to 1.5 and lost .25 safety rating.
bloody hell.

edit: And actually, I even reset to the pits and went a lap down, still finished 4th somehow.

Yeh I am staying clear of racing until later on today because of how dodgy the backmarkers were. I guess you saw the passes I was having to make, and you got a run on me a few times when I had to back off because of spinners.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I need a sticker made up for my gamepad now, "Faster than a Nascar Driver".

lol

When you say it like that, it doesn't seem as good.......he was a better champ car driver.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Yeh I am staying clear of racing until later on today because of how dodgy the backmarkers were. I guess you saw the passes I was having to make, and you got a run on me a few times when I had to back off because of spinners.

I usually wait until 12 or 1am my time and it's much better. The traffic was kind of fun but they were way too unpredictable. Same thing in my next race, hence the 9 points. Off the gas and in avoidance mode for every 4-point incident...
It's temping to be a statistic junky and just not race for the rest of the week and hope to stay up at the top, but I enjoy racing way too much to do that. I am learning to drive clean races though, without making silly mistakes and getting incidents for running off the track.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :It's temping to be a statistic junky and just not race for the rest of the week and hope to stay up at the top, but I enjoy racing way too much to do that. I am learning to drive clean races though, without making silly mistakes and getting incidents for running off the track.

Just to add to your statistic addiction: judging from your car # last race, your iRating is between 2200 and 3000, nice
Quote from Jertje :Just to add to your statistic addiction: judging from your car # last race, your iRating is between 2200 and 3000, nice

I think the race I just finished was my 6th win, quite an easy one since all the cars vanished from behind me after half a lap. I still managed to be an idiot and get an incident point for going off the track though, but I always do that at Lime rock.
I made simple track guide for Skippy at Summit Point raceway, may help somebody.
Quote from DaveWS :Well my PB is 01:03.345, and I normally get close to this in races. I might try using 4th from the uphill right hander though. I did try it briefly and the engine seemed to bog down too much, but I'll give it another go tomorrow.

omg!Fast time i would say.

I only yesterday started practising and did a race in this track and my lap times at first were at 1.06.Then gradually as i pushed i reached 1.04 but going into the .03 means a lot of pushing!.

At first the track felt weird -needs to be brave and push more even when you think theres no more space!-

The gears are a bit of,but sometimes i leave 4th and try to take these corners flat out with a bit of a lift.Maybe a 3rd in the uphill section would make me some time.

I definately need more practise laps.

Great guide Itar,thanks!
I see that they have added Bristol Motor Speedway to the track list....w00t w00t!!!!
It's amazing how your time can drop as you get comfortable pushing some places.

I've turned a 1:03.5 in a warmup session. It feels like real acomplishment in iRacing when you get a lap right.

Stuart Duff - Hope to see more of you guys on there. Doing mostly the Solstice at LRP, as its my favorite, till I get a Mazda license.

Also, whenever I enable shadows my 8800gt crashes. Which is annoying. Aside from that and Noobs, I'm really enjoying the software.
Quote from srdsprinter :

Stuart Duff - Hope to see more of you guys on there.

Tommy Haas

Cool! Im sure I'll be seeing you (whenever I grow the balls to get away from the ovals)!

Do I see a S3R Iracing division opening soon?
Quote from srdsprinter :It's amazing how your time can drop as you get comfortable pushing some places.

I've turned a 1:03.5 in a warmup session. It feels like real acomplishment in iRacing when you get a lap right.

Stuart Duff - Hope to see more of you guys on there. Doing mostly the Solstice at LRP, as its my favorite, till I get a Mazda license.

Also, whenever I enable shadows my 8800gt crashes. Which is annoying. Aside from that and Noobs, I'm really enjoying the software.

The whole accomplishment thing made me go for the annual sub!

Not an expert but is your card overclocked,maybe this is causing it.
Quote from Crommi :Here we go, Skip Barber at Summit Point Raceway (1:21.9xx)

Because it's sort of "example lap", I kept it tidy and didn't push to the limit, being ~0,3 sec slower than my PB. Steering, throttle, brake and gear indicators are included.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkaSBZc0n0

Edit: Usually takes a while before HQ version comes up.

Thank you Crommi! Another beautiful lap. Just as I'd hoped, I've reduced my laptimes by 0.5s thanks to that, and a whole second off my PB. Still much slower than you but down to 1:22:95 now.
My PB Lime Rock Full / Pontiac Solstice Rookie is 1:03:7. Does somebody have a replay with a better lap? I know I can improve it, but doing a perfect lap is hard as hell
Quote from th84 :Tommy Haas

Cool! Im sure I'll be seeing you (whenever I grow the balls to get away from the ovals)!

Do I see a S3R Iracing division opening soon?

Very cool. Will add you up

Hehe, a couple of us really like the iracing.

Quote from sosna :The whole accomplishment thing made me go for the annual sub!

Not an expert but is your card overclocked,maybe this is causing it.

It really makes you think before you just hop on without total concentration/care IMO.

My 8800gt isn't OC'd, but I'm not sure if something isn't wrong with it. It crashes on Guitar Hero 3 as well.
Man, Allmendinger is quick at Lime Rock. First race with him I took 3rd, 13 seconds behind. This last race I told him I was shooting for 10 seconds behind, which I held onto until the last few laps of awful backmarker blocking... that put me 16 seconds behind. Either way, 2nd place behind an ex champ car driver isn't too shabby i suppose...
Quote from NitroNitrous :My PB Lime Rock Full / Pontiac Solstice Rookie is 1:03:7. Does somebody have a replay with a better lap? I know I can improve it, but doing a perfect lap is hard as hell

Only a lap with the old gearing, which is no help I think. Does anyone know if the old gearing is faster/slower? I have the feeling it's slower, but I'm not sure.
The old gearing is faster from what I have heard, I am slowly learning how to get the best out of the Solstice but still can't get low 1:03's at Lime Rock.
The thing that's killing me about the solstice is how much you have to shift into 4th for 2 seconds, and then shift back to third..

If you dont, you bounce off of the limiter and lose some time... so you have to, but it's about annoying as hell.

Ex: after the uphill at limerock, you need to hit 4th on that straight, but only for a second or two, then back to third for the right hander before the downhill.

And at laguna, the fast left-hander before the corkscrew, if you come out of that in 4th, you have no power to get up the hill, but you have to shift to 4th for a couple of seconds before it..

It just seems like 3rd could be shortened a bit, and give 4th a little more pull... and that would be perfect.

...Then again, it does make you learn how to keep momentum up, and thats a great lesson, so maybe it's really good...
i was taking the uphill and the following corner in 4th, but then tried it like dave, much better, brake and begin turn-in in 4th then shift to 3rd
I can't downshift in a turn in the solstice, i lose it every time, have to downshift before I start the turn... I can match the rpms up pretty well in the legends cars on the road course...but can't seem to do it in the solstice, and if I go 4th to 3rd in a corner, its almost definite that I will spin out...
I was using 3rd for both the uphill and West bend, but now I stay in fourth and it seems to have taken a few tenths off my average lap around Lime Rock. Sometimes I still drop it into third for the uphill. Into West bend, I never actually used any brakes but instead just shifted down right before turn in. Now, I tap the brakes and stay in fourth, and it seems easier to get back on the throttle sooner thus carrying more speed down the hill and onto the straight...
PB is 1:03.7, and I can average low 1:04s over a 20 lap race. Before using fourth in West bend I was averaging closer to mid 1:04s.
I also stay in 4th at the uphill and westbank, I just slightly tab the brake before the turn to make the front wheels turn in but stay on the throttle all the time
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG