The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I find that with most people, that method tends to look messy and ends up in lots of near misses, which enables people like me to get close a few times in a race. But then that lures you into thinking you can catch and pass that person, so you push too much and end up crashing yourself.
Have there been any estimations how many people have subscribed for now? How many beta testers there were? Regarding that very much most people should have known those invites weren't for a free test, so simply beta testers * 10, should give some kind of idea?
does anyone know if iracing is handing out any more invites? i unfortunately didnt find out about this game until a few days ago, and signed up with my email address asap. if anyone has an extra invite as well, that would be awesome! thanks in advance
Some people might have invites left, but the game is released in a few days anyway. Just tested out the Advanced Solstice, best time at Lime Rock so far is a 1:03.4, no idea if that is good, but I don't think it is.
Quote from deggis :Have there been any estimations how many people have subscribed for now? How many beta testers there were? Regarding that very much most people should have known those invites weren't for a free test, so simply beta testers * 10, should give some kind of idea?

Searching for drivers gives around 4030 oval drivers and 4060 road racers, although most of these will obviously be the same guys, there might be 500-1000 drivers who drive exclusively ovals or road.

I'm not sure if there's a more accurate way of searching for all drivers, but my guess would be 4000-5000 subscribers right now.
Quote from chrisc6z06 :does anyone know if iracing is handing out any more invites? i unfortunately didnt find out about this game until a few days ago, and signed up with my email address asap. if anyone has an extra invite as well, that would be awesome! thanks in advance

Public release is at 12:00 pm EST (18:00 GMT) August 26, 2008.
There's even countdown timer at http://www.iracing.com/home.html
ye gods i'm pissed off

2 weeks off work and due to real life i've managed 1 race and 1 time trial
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Some people might have invites left, but the game is released in a few days anyway. Just tested out the Advanced Solstice, best time at Lime Rock so far is a 1:03.4, no idea if that is good, but I don't think it is.

get your arse in the Legend Road Race Challenge mate. It's on Limerock this week
I was testing the Legends car on the road courses until I found out they don't hold the races every day of the week. I also don't really like the car much. I will wait until I sort out my new job and get a new bank account with a Visa card, then I will buy the Skippy and race that.
Entering my first online race - Solstice thing at Laguna. Starts in something like 15 minutes. Anyone want to join me so it isn't a really terrible experience?
I couldn't join quick enough for the 4pm EST race, but what happened on lap 3 Tristan?
I spun and damaged my car. Which made me spin. So I tried the reset thingy, which unexpectedly sent me to the pits, and then I overdrove to try and catch up.

Not a good race

All I want to do is play with the Radical I bought, even if it is just as inert as the other cars, and ridiculously silly over kerbs...
Learning curve=steep.
Focusing on staying incident free has really helped me win in iRacing. I may never be the fastest out there, but when the leader spins 1/2 lap ahead of the field, I go putting by for the win.

If ALMS wasn't on I'd be getting ready for the next Solstice/Laguna race, but alas...
Quote from Doorman :Learning curve=steep.

I was surprised to find almost no learning curve with iRacing. LFS took me two years to consistently get within 2 seconds of the WR at a particular combo, iRacing took me 2 days...
Quote from tristancliffe :Entering my first online race - Solstice thing at Laguna. Starts in something like 15 minutes. Anyone want to join me so it isn't a really terrible experience?

Just make sure that you don't bump anyone the slightest bit because your front will completly come in and obscure your vue even with a small little tap with both cars going at almost the same speed. I wanted to give just a little nudge to someone on a straight because we were at the same speed (almost maybe like 2 kmh faster) and the front completly came in and had some damage to the susp and steering... It's stupid how easily your car gets damaged.

Anyways, I don't think I'll get a second month yet. Maybe when it gets a little better meaning in like 2 months ill get it again and see how it progressed but for now I don't really like the whole pickup racing only thing. Its almost as if LFS only had CTRA. No leagues, nothing. I have heard that they were planning on opening league possibilities so maybe that'll get me to try it again once the leagues open. We'll see and hope you enjoy it tristan. The physics are quite good and I think that you'll like it (apart from the damage things)

Edit : I agree with Titan there... It was a bit too easy to get up to a decent pace in iRacing. Like @ LRP with rookie solstice I was in the 1:05s the first day and high 4s the second and then about a week later in the low 4s already. In LFS I'd be 3-4 seconds off the WR the first try and then I'd drop to 1 second off only after around 100 laps and .5 off after 200 or something like that.
Well despite me finding it hard to consistently lap at a fast pace in the Solstice without making any mistakes, I am looking forward to trying out the Skippy. I want a slightly better quality of racing, and a car that relies less on left foot braking. I also want more road courses, I find it strange that these oval guys are so fussy about wanting specific oval tracks, one even said they would give up Laguna and LRP for one oval track...they are all circles!
Quote from titanLS :I was surprised to find almost no learning curve with iRacing. LFS took me two years to consistently get within 2 seconds of the WR at a particular combo, iRacing took me 2 days...

Ah, I was referring to the 'wrinkles'. Things like, just go by your pitbox a tad before resetting, getting into the idea that you don't go off the track and tapping or being tapped by another car is a no-no. I have to say that I found the interface very confusing but after using it for a while I can't think why I whinged about it. Anyway, steep but short.
Quote from titanLS :I was surprised to find almost no learning curve with iRacing. LFS took me two years to consistently get within 2 seconds of the WR at a particular combo, iRacing took me 2 days...

That's not a fair criticism. Maybe you were a complete newb with LFS, and you took the skills you learned from LFS and they transferred well over to iRacing.

It would be like if i raced bikes for 5 years and and I was surprised that driving another bike was easy to me.
Just had the worst race ever. First of all, I forgot to grid somehow, so I started from the pits instead of 4th behind AJ and Brad Coleman. Then I went for a silly pass in the corkscrew, made it clean, then got taken out. 5 Points total for the race. Oh well, I deserve them for forgetting to grid.

On a lighter note it seems the start of this new week has somehow bumped me up from like 180th to 24th in the series standings. Right behind ours truly Mr. ATC Quicksilver...

Edit: People who try to dive in down the inside of turn 9 @ Laguna should, well, have something bad done to them. They dive under you knowing full well you'll have to either give them the spot to avoid contact or be run off the track at the exit. Cheap move and the same kid just put me off track two races in a row doing it...
Ok I need some feedback as to whether this is a clean move or not. My sentiments are 100% no it is not.
Turn 9, Laguna Seca. We all know it. Out of the corkscrew and over to the right to set up for the diving left hander. Here's my problem: one particular driver has decided it's ok to force up inside of me and push me wide there every race. He dives inside (my left) and then holds a line which prevents me from completing my already initiated turn. In lieu of contact, I run wide into the dirt and spin.

Opinions?

Too bad replays don't save....

you shouldn't open up, if he was able to get some overlap by diving down inside without touching you, you don't have any right to complain, he can legally push you out to the dirt. (not a literal push, but just to not leave you room for the exit)
That's the thing, he never has ANY overlap. His nose is always at my rear quarter panel. Man if he got enough of a run on me to get overlap there... pass of the century, i'd gladly let him through and buy him a beer afterwards, but that's never the case.
hm I think nose at rear quarter panel means there's some overlap, but certainly not enough to declare the inside line is his (except in BTCC of course), you'll just have to cut him off first to protect yourself, it comes down to whether you think he cares about his SR of not, some people do that just to scare the car in front for him to moveover, but some really do think it's okay to pass with a bit of contact. if he doesn't care about his SR, don't give him any gap to dive down the inside at the first place, and if you cut him off first and hit the side of his front, he is more likely to spin than you.
I just think it's annoying to have to defend every lap when he shouldn't even be looking in the first place. His safety rating is 2.8 and average incidents per race is 9, so I'm quite sure he doesn't care at all if we make contact.

And to add to my frustration my microwave just quit working and I'm starving.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG