The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
you are lucky, my microwave causes a fuse in my house to blow and my computer will go out without a notice.
Funny you should mention that, because it's the same way at my house. I actually turned off the computer to make sure the microwave was getting enough power to cook. It was, but the food stayed cold...
It's worse on that turn when you have a big overlap and go for a safe pass, only for the driver infront to cut across as if you are not there. But diving up the inside when you have no overlap is stupid in that turn, it's hard for people to brake and slow down enough to give them the room they would need to do it.
the fact that most cars has rather big blindspot doesn't help, I always wanted to use the real mirrors but for SR sake I am on the virtual one.
I've done 3.5 laps around LRP with multiple crashed and no qualifying

time to race :heyjoe67_

first race in skippy ever btw :3 this is gonna go awesome (don't worry I won't hit anyone)
Quote from spanks :I've done 3.5 laps around LRP with multiple crashed and no qualifying

time to race :heyjoe67_

first race in skippy ever btw :3 this is gonna go awesome (don't worry I won't hit anyone)

You sure picked an easy track to start your Skippy career
Quote from Crommi :You sure picked an easy track to start your Skippy career

jesus christ I feel like I just got blind sided by a semi truck

I thought I knew LRP pretty well..no problem pickin it up you know

whenever I thought it was goin pretty good I'd be in the wall somewhere.

I started with a snap spin in the opposite direction into the wall comin out of the last turn. I'm 100% positive I didn't countersteer too much(if at all when I got turned), and I was flat on the floor...it was just like goin fine and then I was turned 45 degrees in the wrong direction.

Then I proceeded to crash twice coming out of the uphill trying to take it easy.

I mean I practiced for a week with the skippy at Infineon, so I have an idea how to drive the car...but man those bumps send you wherever they feel like! Whoever thought the skippy didn't need a clutch pack should be shot.

I know a huge part of it is the setup...but I went to see what the track was for this week and I was like ZOMG RACE IN 10 MIN...so I used a set I downloaded and it has way too much rear bar (lol max).

I need to get some good races together or I'll be back in the rookies. I've raced twice since week 13, and pretty much just hotlapped and stuff on the side...ever since I bought in for a year I fell out of the routine or something.
i think 1 reason people run the skippy with the rear bar at 8 is to stop the roll, when i run it soft i get more initial grip at the rear but it feels like it wants to develope a roll induced slide as the weight transfers, especially if i have to turn one way and then the other also when it does slide like this it seems more inclined to fishtail. what a lot seem to be doing is running it with a stiff rear and then adjusting the handling just with tyre preasures and a bit with the spring collars.

having said that i had a nice set for lrp with a soft rear bar and given my lack of running was happy to make the high 1.00 s testing and 1.01s when in a timetrial or race. ( until i made a mistake ) i say had and was as yesterday my desk pc decided to fry itself and i've not managed to salvage my setups but i think it had the rear bar at 4, rear tyres at 22, left front 30, right front 27 and the brakes at 61 but i cant remember what the collars were at. it had good traction and was a stable set with a bit of understeer and you could go flat through the last bend if you lifted for a split second at the dark track before you turned in. all i had to do was be carefull not to generate any sudden steering movements.

i dont know if any of this helps but stick with it, i wasn't getting anywhere till i realised that the rear bars anti roll function seemes to be more important than with most cars
Skippy is not really that crucial on setup, just get the car feeling the way you want it and keep that setup for all tracks. Only minor adjustments maybe needed to brake balance on different tracks.
I'm loving the skippy at LRP. Had two amazing races there Sunday night. But suddenly I find myself addicted at running pratice sessions at Infineon in the Mazda. Did a qualy and I'm about ready to plung into Mazda racing.
Quote from Crommi :Skippy is not really that crucial on setup, just get the car feeling the way you want it and keep that setup for all tracks. Only minor adjustments maybe needed to brake balance on different tracks.

have you had time to experiment with tyre pressures? I mean, I find the most important thing in the skip barber is to set the typre pressures fairly low (compared to baseline of course), I end up with 1 click higher on the front to have a bit more understeer for easier handling.

Otherwise I agree, once you got a setup that you are comfortable with, you just need to practise.

I tried lime rock before already, but my best was something mid 59. yesterday I got into the 58`s quite quickly. I needed a lot more laps (like 15-20) to get mid 58`s, which came by altering the line through the left hander a bit. After that it was another 40-50 laps to get a decent lap together without major errors to reach 58.36 in time trial. Basically you don`t know where you pick up the last tenths/hundredths, you just have to keep lapping and going consistent. Eventually you get the hang of it.

I am really hoping to get 58.2`s soon, it is only a tenth away, surely possible
Quote from csurdongulos :I tried lime rock before already, but my best was something mid 59. yesterday I got into the 58`s quite quickly. I needed a lot more laps (like 15-20) to get mid 58`s, which came by altering the line through the left hander a bit. After that it was another 40-50 laps to get a decent lap together without major errors to reach 58.36 in time trial. Basically you don`t know where you pick up the last tenths/hundredths, you just have to keep lapping and going consistent. Eventually you get the hang of it.

I am really hoping to get 58.2`s soon, it is only a tenth away, surely possible

15-20 laps + 40-50 laps is like 1.5 hours of practice, and you're doing low 58's already?... that's quite nuts.
Yep, I use fairly low pressures, usually around 1,5bar with equal or less in rear depending on how the car feels through corners.
Quote from Jertje :15-20 laps + 40-50 laps is like 1.5 hours of practice, and you're doing low 58's already?... that's quite nuts.

it's not like I haven't driven around lime rock a couple of hundred times in the solstices already, or that I haven't driven the skip barber at other tracks at all
Just a quick heads up for the few that have not yet joined but are going to now with the public release: Make sure to treat one of your friends, who is already into iRacing, a little 10$ extra in iRacing Dollars by use of the iRacing Referral Reward Programme. All you have to do is input your friends email address (the one he or she used to register their iRacing account) in the "Referring Member Email" field when you purchase your three, six or 12 month subscription.

Doesn't cost you anything, but your friend will get 10 iRacing Dollars.

If you don't have any friends who are already into iRacing, simply request my email adress via pm to put into that "referring member" field and I'll gladly hand it out to you.

Quote from Linsen :If you don't have any friends who are already into iRacing, simply request my email adress via pm to put into that "referring member" field and I'll gladly hand it out to you.

Capitalist pig!
Yeah, could someone list me as a referral please. PM me for the email address
Me too, me too
me third! pm me for emailz!

better yet - use dbarbeiro AT gmail DOT com
I'm gettin the hang of it pretty quickly

I was decently quick within my first couple laps, 59.50...

trying to get some speed up tonight, and am going through cars like they're cheap or something

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2433/aieeeeeeun4.jpg

my fav of the night so far...came up sideways pointed at the guard rail...crested the hill and half the car came off the ground D:

Did a 59.0, and for sure have been on mid 58's pace, just hard to get a lap strung together...if I don't screw up the uphill I'm sideways through west bend :P

I'd make a vid but it breaks the game when you go over that fence

Driving the skippy around here already feels like warp speed...I can't WAIT for the daytona prototype omggggg.
Its official my month of subscription is done. Was OK I guess it just didnt suck me into it much really. The whole concept of pick up racing only is kinda killing it and that damage model needs some serious work. Maybe I'll try it again in 4-5 months and see how it is at that time. Maybe it would have improved.

Out of the month I may have played it 2 weeks for around 3 hours max and thats pretty bad seeing as its the summer break! So...Yeah...
Hehe, I just subscribed for a year. I don't think I'll regret spending the money.
http://blip.tv/file/1209235/

just havin some fun, felt like recording it

I did 6 laps in a row and was physically and mentally tired o_o

I can't imagine going 30+ laps in that thing without screwing up.
Little hairy over the uphill! I'm so tempted just to jump into the Radical but I really want to put some time into the Skippy next season...
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG