The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Doorman :Have you ever tried to make a decent car skin let alone a whole laser scanned track? The amount of work that goes into it must be enormous! Frankly, I'm amazed at the work done even by modders and track makers on rFactor who don't get paid a penny and quite often get abuse from ungrateful tykes. 'This mod sucks' etc. etc. Take a slow drive round any iRacing track and try to appreciate the work that's gone into it.
At some stage we'll all have to wake up and realise that stuff has to be paid for and if the quality is as good as iRacing's, then it's worth every cent.(or penny)
EDIT: And another thing; all this talk about pricing is stupid. However low the price of anything is, somebody won't be able to afford it. There have been threads about the 'high' price of LFS for God's sake, the best £24s worth EVER!

I know how much it costs, but once you get to so many members buying them the price has the ability to go down. When though doesn't matter to me, I got 25% off anything I buy (100% club thingy).

Quote from UncleBenny :Well I think that is the problem, it is broken. They have to realize that eventually they are going to run out of people to try the free subscriptions. I guess maybe their plan is at that time they will have more features working and can bring old players back. I actually suggested that on a thread over on the iRacing forums, that maybe in 6 months or something I'd love to see iRacing give a discount to people who had let their subscription run out to come back and try it again and see if things are better. We'll see how it goes.

Quote from bbman :iRacing say they have 12000 members, I guess about half (or more) of them with a frozen account... Wouldn't you agree that getting those 6000 back and holding them would be easier (and cheaper) than to attract thousands more for a quarter or less? Especially bearing in mind that those 6000 have already shown interest and intention of driving in iRacing...

They are still making sufficient money, or they know that they have enough dedicated players to make it through the "content revolution". IMO, they are trying to get as much content as possible out of the way, and try to make most (if not all) the money they have invested back. I don't think they feel comfortable yet in order to stop producing tracks and falling back into "enhancing" the game, which at some point they really need to do.

Quote from The Moose :Yup, I keep failing to consider that people who are into iRacing may not want "hardcore" simulation. It's just a little bit frustrating when they advertise as being a "Training tool", knowing it's really nowhere near it.

I guess as long as people keep falling for the hype and beliveing that what they are racing is as close to realitly as it gets, without complaing about the lack of features, nothing going to change.

I've noticed a lot of the long timers have quit due to iRacing not going in the direction they thought it would, but as long as iRacing bring in more than they are loosing then they dont care. As you say, from a business point of view that makes sense.

I thought they had a vision to make the greatest racing simulation as well. Apparently not

Exactly, but I think there vision is that, but they have progressed too fast, and haven't been able to look back on their "mistakes". It seemed in beta they made the "needed fixes", but once they released the sim it seems as if they are wanting to make it bigger and bigger, forgetting about the better and better part of it.

EDIT: @Nightshift: I think it was they were waiting on data for physics purposes.
Quote from Shotglass :i genuinely get the feeling that eric is the only guy currently working in sim racing texturing who either works with a monitor calibrated reasonably close to srgb or isnt slightly colourblind

Yup, the colors really are what screws up iRacing the most I think. Look at this video this guy has up with some kind of color adjustment done, looks 100% better than the normal graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF9ryokf-fY
woohoo

I'm currently 21st quick around Road Atlanta in the mazda. My optimal lap would put me solid in the top 10.
Road Atlanta in the Mazda has to be one of the best combos yet!

1:18.1 puts me 12th in Qual. this week, 1st in Div 2. That's about as good as it gets for me...

Spanks what's your name on there?
Quote from UncleBenny :Yup, the colors really are what screws up iRacing the most I think. Look at this video this guy has up with some kind of color adjustment done, looks 100% better than the normal graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF9ryokf-fY

Doesn't look good to me, though. The colors are even more dull than they appear on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkwgXn1Li7o. In iRacing it's always midday and the sun never goes behind clouds, and it's natural that the colors are bright to reflect that.
Quote from titanLS :Road Atlanta in the Mazda has to be one of the best combos yet!

1:18.1 puts me 12th in Qual. this week, 1st in Div 2. That's about as good as it gets for me...

Spanks what's your name on there?

Nice time I ran like an 18.3

I was running 3 tenths quick after that lap...carried my momentum through T1, hit T2 better than ever..got through the esses and I was right on someone's ass going into the left hander.

I barely brake to 3rd, pitch it in and nail the gas...I'm just hanging on watching as the guy in front of my spins out. I barely clip their LF with mine and allllll that time is gone. Never put that good of a lap together again.

Name is Daniel McC.
Oh that's right. I knew you had told me once before, and I see you on there all the time, just couldn't make the connection.

Yeah, it seems every time I carry more than 120mph through T1, I choke and screw up somewhere down the line. I should probably look into the split timing thing, but have been waiting it out to see if iRacing integrates something on their own.

Yesterday I was following Volker and Towler around and wow, just unbelievable how late they brake, mid-corner speed, exit, etc. ET phone home.
Quote from titanLS : I should probably look into the split timing thing, but have been waiting it out to see if iRacing integrates something on their own.

Don't wait for iRacing to add split timing... use the one that's available now. I find it invaluable.
My only question is whether it's always up on screen or can you hide it, etc. How exactly does the interface work?
It's up when a dll is present in the root folder (I think it is, it's been a while) Crommi made a neat bat file to quickly copy it in/delete the file from a second location, which makes the HUD plugin easier to enable/disable, but when it's loaded you can always press Ctrl A (I think?) to hide it.

Other than that there's a lot of stuff you can edit in the main .ini to disable certain features such as rpm meter, delta, track map etc.

I'm not too sure about the latest features, but the only problem I have with my older version is that the sim exit time is considerably longer when the plugin is activated, although I don't know if this has been addressed in later versions and I'm a bit too lazy to check.
Quote from titanLS :My only question is whether it's always up on screen or can you hide it, etc. How exactly does the interface work?

It's very simple overlay function, I don't think it has on/off function built into it but I made a simple bat file that copies the .dll into main iracing folder when I run it and then disables the HUD on exit by deleting the copy.
Quote from The Moose :Don't wait for iRacing to add split timing... use the one that's available now. I find it invaluable.

Do you notice any FPS drop when using it? I haven't really looked into it because I heard there was a problem with FPS I'm already running pretty low 25-45fps with softth.
Thanks for the info guys, I'll have to look into it.
No fps drop at all. Its extremely simple to install and use.

At road atlanta you have to be careful because you can pick up like a half a second in your first split by racing out of pit lane lol. I had to erase my data for RA once this week.
No FPS difference that i've noticed, and i'm using an ancient single core machine.

You can have it set so it automatically turns off during races.
Arghhhh...I had a 1:17 lap in the making until the chicane...and then I screwed it all and ran another 18.3

I have lowered my optimal to a 17.5 though...I just wish I could run it
The chicane at the end of the straight? I usually don't have problems there for some reason. I brake hard as the nose hits that first white line on the track (right after the big black sign), I hold them a little longer than I think I have to and then I dive across the first apex at full throttle. Tiny bit of trail braking at turn in. Getting out of there quick is fun because you can blast by people over the hill if they didn't get back on the gas early enough. Love this track...
Quote from titanLS :The chicane at the end of the straight? I usually don't have problems there for some reason. I brake hard as the nose hits that first white line on the track (right after the big black sign), I hold them a little longer than I think I have to and then I dive across the first apex at full throttle. Tiny bit of trail braking at turn in. Getting out of there quick is fun because you can blast by people over the hill if they didn't get back on the gas early enough. Love this track...

It is a blast...and I'm overjoyed to see the spec racer at road atlanta for this weekend again.

I had hours of fun there in the open practice servers.

That is the chicane I'm talking about. I brake all over the place for that one. I keep pushing it as far out as I can and still make the first apex...and then I overshoot it and back up again. If I brake at the white line I always feel like I'm giving up time...but a "just past the white line" mark is difficult to hit consistently.
Quote from spanks :It is a blast...and I'm overjoyed to see the spec racer at road atlanta for this weekend again.

for the 24 heures du fun?

If it is, thats brilliant! Wish it was the late model though
Quote from NightShift :Q to all, what is so hard about that car? I've been hearing about it being up-and-coming since at least June 2008! It's becoming the Scirocco of iRacing

That's my blog you're quoting and in no way does it support the assertion that it's "been coming since June 2008".

iRacing always announce the cars well in advance of launch and the Corvette is no different. From the link, iRacing explained they had access to some new data which they wanted to incorporate into the car which would presumably make it more accurate.

If you don't like iRacing fair enough but don't make things up eh?
iRacing has a new deal out for current members:

Quote :As a token of our appreciation – and in celebration of our first anniversary – iRacing is pleased to offer renewing members the car or of their choice. FREE! Members who renew their membership for twelve months before July 31, 2009 will receive a bonus of $25 in iRacing credits . . . enough to buy any iRacing car or race track. Those bonus credits are in addition to the $60 in credits members normally receive with an annual renewal, making $85 of iRacing credits in total.

At this point it almost just makes sense for me to renew for another year now(even though I still have like 10 months left) and use the credits when new stuff comes out.
Just comes right for me. My years renewal is on 2nd August.
That's a point! Should I leave it on automatic renewal even though I'll be manually renewing?
Quote from UncleBenny :iRacing has a new deal out for current members:

At this point it almost just makes sense for me to renew for another year now(even though I still have like 10 months left) and use the credits when new stuff comes out.

I just renewed mine a couple weeks ago, and Shannon Whitmore (iR staff) emailed me a bit ago saying I would still be getting the promotion code. So I got a tad lucky.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG