The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from csurdongulos :hehe, I am good with tracks which don't have too many turns but alien status is something unreachable for me, usually by 0.5 seconds on average length circuits. The shorter the track, the less the difference

Where on earth did you get GTR2 from? I haven't played that game for 2 years now and never on public servers or international leagues. Maybe you are mixing me up with somebody, or you meant the v-wtcc? I took part in one event there at Brno, but that's all.

But thank you otherwise as a thank you gift, I have attached my skip barber setup for limerock, maybe some of you will find it useful.

WOOT, thanks mate! I'm getting the skippy when I get my $15 extra purchase!
Since I had $10 iRacing dollars left, I went and bought the radical (only cost £2.50 ). Wow what an epic machine. It needs some fiddling with the setup to get rid of the understeer, but the sound and immersion you get with it is awesome. It's a twitchy bastard though.
Thanks for the sets Kuyumji and Szabo! time for some practice
I believe I just raced Kev, from here, but I didn't realise until after the race. At least someone called Kevin was moaning about how other drivers were faster etc.

Anyway, it was a pretty fun and intense race for me, in the rookie solstice at laguna. I'd qualified on pole with a new pb of 1:47.960, so I thought the race would be relatively non hard work. However, and this isn't the first time this has happened, I left my gridbox as the lights went red, meaning I had to take a stop-go. This meant I was dropped to the back obviously. I was determined to keep a top 5 record going, so I pushed like hell, had some great battles, two tiny contacts with other drivers although they didn't give me incident points, and ended up 3rd in the end.

Edit: Kev, if you are struggling for speed, I find the solstice likes to be thrown around a lot. Also, trail braking is much more rewarding in iRacing I find than in LFS, as it helps get the rear of the car sliding in. The solstice likes being driven slightly sideways on full throttle, not too much though as you lose speed.

Edit 2: It's not Kev from here after all, "Club: Mid-Atlantic US Club".
Quote from DaveWS :Since I had $10 iRacing dollars left, I went and bought the radical (only cost £2.50 ). Wow what an epic machine. It needs some fiddling with the setup to get rid of the understeer, but the sound and immersion you get with it is awesome. It's a twitchy bastard though.

The radical is at good fun at silverstone and road america both of which are quite flat in terms of bumpiness. Laguna seca is a bit tougher. Vir and Infineon may be a bit too bumpy for it.

I'd recommend trying RMachusa's set for Daytona for the car, with small tweaks the set works all fast and medium fast tracks. Cures the understeer quite well. I think it was this: http://pages.videotron.com/machuca/RM_daytona_Test.sto

It's defenately a great car, accelerating out of the last turn at Silverstone always brings a smile on my face. Just floor it and keep the rear in small drift. One of the problems the car has is the total inability to drive over curbs. With any steering input it may just turn the car around very quickly. I doubt the real car is really that nervous... But still great fun
Quote from DaveWS :...

Nice time! you also seem to be 1st in Time Trials? Pretty damn impressive :>
It's good to see LFS'ers up with the best of them
Quote from DaveWS :I believe I just raced Kev, from here, but I didn't realise until after the race. At least someone called Kevin was moaning about how other drivers were faster etc.

Anyway, it was a pretty fun and intense race for me, in the rookie solstice at laguna. I'd qualified on pole with a new pb of 1:47.960, so I thought the race would be relatively non hard work. However, and this isn't the first time this has happened, I left my gridbox as the lights went red, meaning I had to take a stop-go. This meant I was dropped to the back obviously. I was determined to keep a top 5 record going, so I pushed like hell, had some great battles, two tiny contacts with other drivers although they didn't give me incident points, and ended up 3rd in the end.

Edit: Kev, if you are struggling for speed, I find the solstice likes to be thrown around a lot. Also, trail braking is much more rewarding in iRacing I find than in LFS, as it helps get the rear of the car sliding in. The solstice likes being driven slightly sideways on full throttle, not too much though as you lose speed.

Edit 2: It's not Kev from here after all, "Club: Mid-Atlantic US Club".

great stuff mate.... that's an insane lap time 1.47! Very good indeed!
Yeah impressive lap Dave. That is the 2nd fastest lap of the week, more then half a second faster then AJ Allmendinger
I'm about to run my 1st skippy race I just hope i don't crash or take anyone out. I'm not up to pace yet, so this will be baptism by fire
just bought a month subscription, donwloading now. i wonder if i will regret this
^ yeah it's a lot of fun. Wait until you get fast and consistent in the solstice and legends before moving onto the faster cars. when you get to 4.0 rookie rating, you can race the faster cars.

I've finally broken into the mid 59 second range w/ the skippy in my 1st race. I think most of my laps were mid 59's. There's still lots of room for improvement though.
this games weird lol
I decided to give iRacing a try yesterday and after most of you guys said mostly positive things about it I went ahead and got a 6 month subscription

So far I have to say, I love it. I started practicing for 30mins. and after beeing able to keep the car on the road for more than 2 corners I decided to try a race... After figuring out how to enter a race (seems a little unclear when you're new) I drove about 7 races in Solstice @ Laguna. I managed to get my time down from first around 1:55's to a 1:49.8. I think playing LFS before starting with iRacing helped me alot. I just need to work on getting less incidence points... in the 7 races I've driven I average about 8.5inc points which is way too much.

http://members.iracing.com/mem ... reerStats.do?custid=21974
Quote from Blizzardo :I decided to give iRacing a try yesterday and after most of you guys said mostly positive things about it I went ahead and got a 6 month subscription

So far I have to say, I love it. I started practicing for 30mins. and after beeing able to keep the car on the road for more than 2 corners I decided to try a race... After figuring out how to enter a race (seems a little unclear when you're new) I drove about 7 races in Solstice @ Laguna. I managed to get my time down from first around 1:55's to a 1:49.8. I think playing LFS before starting with iRacing helped me alot. I just need to work on getting less incidence points... in the 7 races I've driven I average about 8.5inc points which is way too much.

http://members.iracing.com/mem ... reerStats.do?custid=21974

pretty cool intro..... did you do any qualify's before racing?
Just had my second go at racing up in the skippy. I don't know how this iRating thing is working, but I keep getting thrown into a field where everyone is running 54s at Jefferson every lap. As one of the only rookies in the race, I still somehow end up listed as car #3! Unfortunately this means that the system is expecting me to do way better than I'm capable of at this point.

There has got to be some slower skippy drivers I can learn with?

Edit: Looking at the results from my last race I see that the #1 driver has 3495, #2 has 3249, I'm #3, and #4 has like 2600. So that puts my iRating somewhere between 2600 and 3200. I don't know how to feel about that. Sure, maybe in the solstice that number accurately reflects my ability but certainly not in a car I just stepped into...
me and some north east guys were running practices yesterday. Drop in there once in a while and see if they are running a practice or planning on jumping into a skippy race. I think i might try and catch a race at 10:15, but i have work to do... maybe 12:15 EST
I'll probably be in the 10:15 race. I'm 12th in the standings for the new rookie solstice season and don't want to run again in fear that a weak field will bring my points down... Now I understand all those guys at the top with only 1 start all week...

Edit: Same thing this race, I was car #2 behind some dude with an iRating of 3400, and there was no chance in hell I was finishing where the system expected me to. I fought harder than ever for 7th, and I'm just picturing my iRating plummeting with every new race...
Well, with +2500 rating you have to expect to be racing with the fast guys. If you've spent alot of time racing against rookies in a Solstice and become really fast with it, your rating has gone up and it's obvious that you're in trouble once you get into first Skippy races with very little experience on the car.

Just as an example, I've been racing Skippy for 7 weeks now and I consider myself to be "decent" with it while my rating has settled to ~2700.

Edit: If you keep relying on one good race per week, you're hurting yourself in a long run. There's always something new to learn and eventually your luck will run out, putting you in a really bad position against guys who have been racing. Not to mention that every race is an oppoturnity to gain rating which in return allows you to get into high rated races for big points.
I think right now I just need to focus on getting more seat time in the skippy, it's only been a few days. I jumped into it not realizing where my iRating was and where it would put me.
Quote from Crommi :Edit: If you keep relying on one good race per week, you're hurting yourself in a long run. There's always something new to learn and eventually your luck will run out, putting you in a really bad position against guys who have been racing. Not to mention that every race is an oppoturnity to gain rating which in return allows you to get into high rated races for big points.

Listen to the man, those are wise words

The luckier you get, the harder you will fall once you really need to rely on your skill and experience. It's better to have a placing true to your own level, rather than finishing in a good position with a few lucky races.
imo it doesn't really matter where you're finishing in these races, its more about the experience you have while racing in them.

If you have an epic battle for 6th -4th, I'm down with that, even if you do get lapped 20 laps in.

The field will be determined by your irating, and if you expect to be able to win every time, then your irating is too low. Its gonna rise with each uncontested win until you're put mid pack somewhere, and depending on the field it draws from you'll either be more towards the front or more towards the back.
The Radical is really scary ride on Lime rock! I just had my first time with said combo and daaamn! The track is incredibly bumpy and the radical so stiff that it just bounces everywhere. The last corner is the scariest. I'm pretty sure it can be taken flatout on 5th or 4th with perfect line but it's really question of finding the sweet spot between two evils: understeering out or oversteering into the green stuff. The set I drove had quite a lot df on the rear making it quite understeery so the other corners weren't as enjoyable as with a more neutral set although the last corner really demands lots of grip from the rear tires.

I think I got down to 48.1 or 49.1 with it. With more neutral set something like 46.x is very doable for a proper alien.

Anyone else lapping the radical? What kind of times have you got on Silverstone GP, Road america or Lime rock?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG