The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Tristan did you give the Skippy and the Solstice a go? How did you find them? I kind of wonder if you thought they were good so you're not saying anything .

I did give them a go. And they weren't bad. The force feedback is still pretty poor, the sound isn't that impressive, the graphics are still meh (contrast and colour problem), and the tracks have too many bugs in them (although the bits that don't are very nice).

I'd quite happily pay £50 for iRacing. But I'm not renting it, especially as there are never any races on when I was able to go online.

The handling in LFS and nKP is better, and handling is what I play sims for.
Quote from StableX :I hope that if its on the 24hdf that I can setup a hosted race on it!!!! Hmmm, which car to choose!!!:eclipsee_:clapclap:

I'd whip the Jetta out actually, I think the track will suit it.
Quote from Wilko868 :I'd whip the Jetta out actually, I think the track will suit it.

Jetta, Radical, Mazda, Skip or the Legends will be a blast on Brands... Not so sure about the C6, the Indy or the DP...
Quote from bbman :Jetta, Radical, Mazda, Skip or the Legends will be a blast on Brands... Not so sure about the C6, the Indy or the DP...

Don't forget the Lotus, although I'm yet to own that and the Mazda
Quote from Wilko868 :I'd whip the Jetta out actually, I think the track will suit it.

yeah, good choice. Jetta would be great!
Quote from tristancliffe :
The handling in LFS and nKP is better, and handling is what I play sims for.

I've only experienced the demos of these, and nKP gave me the biggest kick and when I tried the FBM straight afterwards I thought it felt like arcade-land. But i've never done it in RL.

Surely though, LFS is too easy (manageable over the limit) - anyone could hold a drift at first attempt in the XRG, and that's not real. In fact, I don't think I've ever lost a car in LFS without meeting something that wasn't road. Everything seems too progressive without danger of snapping or getting away completely. Surely iRacing's got that aspect better?
Where LFS is too forgiving (and I don't pretend that it isn't), iRacing is too unforgiving. Real cars are very progressive over the limit. nKP is the closest to reality in this aspect in my experience.

Of course patches (e.g. the upcoming LFS physics patch with new tyre code) will change the status quo, and it could be that iRacing gets closest before LFS. Only time will tell.
it'll be interesting to see what happens with the skippy as it looks like the skip brown guys may be involved with the driving instruction videos so presumably if it's not as per real life then it will soon be commented on thought from what i've read so far the high rear center of gravity and the way the back gets loose without throttle is fairly accurate as it was designed to stop drivers coasting into a corner. which is of course the reason i hate the bloody thing, it just doesn't get on with what i laughingly call my driving style ( which is about as reliable as my sense of style with clothes )
Quote from Postman Pat :I've only experienced the demos of these, and nKP gave me the biggest kick and when I tried the FBM straight afterwards I thought it felt like arcade-land. But i've never done it in RL.

Surely though, LFS is too easy (manageable over the limit) - anyone could hold a drift at first attempt in the XRG, and that's not real. In fact, I don't think I've ever lost a car in LFS without meeting something that wasn't road. Everything seems too progressive without danger of snapping or getting away completely. Surely iRacing's got that aspect better?

Not sure what wheel Tristan is using but I find the force feedback to be absolutely excellent in iRacing. I'd certainly not put LFS above iRacing in that area. NetKar I would put up at the top for actual FFB in terms of the feeling for a car with iRacing not that far behind.
G25 with ECCI pedals.
Quote from count.bazley :The 24HDF will be the IndyCar at Brands Hatch GP. I noticed it on the schedule yesterday evening.

How thoughtful of them, now we are forced to go & buy two pieces of content if we want to run the 24du ripoff. Any mention of release date?
Quote from tristancliffe :G25 with ECCI pedals.

Geez.. very decent then. I'm surprised you rate LFS above iRacing for force feedback. Personally, I get a lot more from the wheel in iRacing than i do in LFS. Each to their own i guess.
Indeed that puzzles me as well StableX. Going back to LFS afterwards felt like I was just turning something stiff for no reason most of the time. Don't me wrong, I've always liked LFS' feed back and I think it's done well, but I get the same plus far more information from the feedback in iRacing.
Steve Myers said BH should be ready on thursday..
Quote from buck77 :Already added to my Friends list!!
I'm Daniel Buck, btw... hahahha

If i'd figure out, how to add friends, i would add few people too.

Quote from PMD9409 :Saw you yesterday in solstice practice, I knew your name looked familiar.

Ya, i remember it too, i noticed you just when i was leaving.

Quote from MKR :I just think Iracing is going places, I think it will get cheaper and more people join and time passes

That's what i think too. First i thought it's dirty expensive to play and it cannot have any success, but as they are progressing and going more worldwide (tracks and cars).. IMO this is the future of simracing. And Kraemer and his people can earn some big money on this.
Quote from tristancliffe :Where LFS is too forgiving (and I don't pretend that it isn't), iRacing is too unforgiving. Real cars are very progressive over the limit. nKP is the closest to reality in this aspect in my experience.

Of course patches (e.g. the upcoming LFS physics patch with new tyre code) will change the status quo, and it could be that iRacing gets closest before LFS. Only time will tell.

It seemed to me like the reaction time required to catch a slide in LFS (for road cars anyway) was quite close to real with my Fanatec (and set to drift mode 1 to feel a bit like power steering). But the cars seem to hold the road too well when in a full on slide. NKP is similar, but it doesn't have road cars so I can't really judge it there (never driven a fullsize open-wheel racer). Still, the over-the-limit grip seems better done, and the wheel gives better feedback than LFS so it's a bit easier to anticipate the slide. I agree with you when you say that NKP feels the most realistic.

I haven't played IR with a FFB wheel but that seemed quite snappy and the only car I was able to catch (without FFB) was the Solstice. I definitely want to give it another go though, with the Fanatec. No money ATM though.
The Skippy is so rewarding to drive, predictable and when you get it wrong It shouts ...NO. my opinion is based only on driving other Sims so take what I say with a pinch of salt. Initially I thought the FF felt very twitchy when driving in a straight line I found the culprit was bumps in the road.

For me its in another league, the attitude of the other drivers plays a major part in this.

Learning Road Atlanta this week, Mosport's with attitude
Have you tried the Spec Racer Ford John? I'm having much fun with that at the moment, inbetween Radical races. The FFB on the SRF is really very good, I prefer it much more than the soft power steering you get with the solstice.

Funny how the Radical has become popular all of a sudden now that they have cut the schedule down to 2 days a week.

Tristan have you tried the Indy car? I really think you would like that. It's the only car in any sim that i've tried that actually gives you the feeling of speed sensation, that thing is bloody quick with excellent FFB through the G25/DFGT. I run a few laps of practice in it but am so far of the pace to run in the official races. It's a car that takes explicit dedication I think to be quick in it. The set up options are extreme, I'm surprised they haven't included adjustable torque setting for the wheel nuts!

If you want to try it or any other cars then give drop me a PM and I'll lend you my account for a bit of practice.
The SRF was the car I tried first when I got the demo Struan, felt really good to drive, nimble and positive with wicked oversteer if you were not smooth with the control inputs.
After one of the updates the handling seemed to change though?, TBH I can't seem to tear myself away from the friendly marsupial at the moment, Tried a few laps in the Radical at Silverstone very fast and exciting to drive but lacks 'something' in comparison to the Skippy, I think I prefer the Slower ,softer and less advanced cars but maybe this will change with more time driving the other cars.
Brands Hatch is out!
Yea, would like to try it

And one question. Is there any posibility to change your name? Not to any nickname but just to your real name. Because I don't have nor credit card nor pay-pal, so friend of mine bought me an iRacing subscription and now I have to drive with his name :/ I wrote with this question to iRacing support email but haven't any answer for several weeks already. Thanks!
Quote from iFastLT : I wrote with this question to iRacing support email but haven't any answer for several weeks already.

This should work, if you write them name, which you want to use.
In my case it took 2 days only, without further questions.
Yay! I may make a private session tomorrow with the Jetta for us all, I'll see what happens.

OT: I saw your post apologising for an accident, Kid
love the two spectators on the right just after the control tower as you leave the pits

dallara is a blast round here. if anyones interested someone is hosting a jetta at brands session now (amongst others)
Quote from tinvek :love the two spectators on the right just after the control tower as you leave the pits

dallara is a blast round here. if anyones interested someone is hosting a jetta at brands session now (amongst others)

See you there!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG