The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Yeah the steering feels light. I generally adjust steering force per car because its not consistent from one car to another
Quote from AlienT. :I unfortaunately have to agree with Spanks, I just can't get 'into' the C6R the way I would like to. The steering feels so light and it's tricky to know what the cars going to do next. Also the FOV in it, using 3 screens, is not great the view is very limited for me anyway.

Such a pity for me I wanted to love this car.

do you keep the same FFB setting for each car or do you tweak it for each?

For the C6R I find I have to add about 10 extra to the FFB setting in iRacing compared to say, the Mazda. I use 28 - 30 in the mazda depending on the track and 38 - 42 in the C6R.
Yep, I change FFB for each of the cars. What I mean with the C6R is not that the FFB is just light, even with FFB up high it just feels that the C6R steering doesn't seem to give as much intuitive response as it does with the other cars. If that makes sense.

I'm on a much needed break from simracing right now I'll give it another try when I get back into it
According to the iForums, it's actually modeled with power steering just like the real car...
Quote from AlienT. :Yep, I change FFB for each of the cars. What I mean with the C6R is not that the FFB is just light, even with FFB up high it just feels that the C6R steering doesn't seem to give as much intuitive response as it does with the other cars. If that makes sense.

I'm on a much needed break from simracing right now I'll give it another try when I get back into it

I feel the same way Struan. I had big hopes for the Vette but the steering is so light I end up losing the car in silly places.
Great job yesterday, Dave. It was good seeing you out there, and I hope more of the LFS guys give iRacing a shot.

The event was really awesome. I didn't do enough testing beforehand, so kind of screwed myself with strategy. I ended up with 12 laps extra fuel at the end, and I thought my tires were about to pop (didn't change in pits) so I backed off with about 10 to go. It turned out I had 44% left at the end, though :doh:. I'll definitely be more prepared next time.

This event got a lot of exposure, so I expect them to keep getting bigger and better.

Quote from DaveWS :Thanks guys! If I'm honest though I'm a little disappointed. I had some kind of painful cramp in my back out of nowhere just before qualifying which was pretty horrible, but I don't think it affected me during the race.

The field today was truely awesome, just look at the qualifying times and how tight things were (5th to 21st place seperated by just over 6 tenths). Still I was pretty hopeful of a top 5 result after the first few laps, where I managed to get past Dom Duhan and stay there for 9 laps. Frustratingly I had a bit of a balancing act for a while where I was looking to get past Peter Read while keeping Dom in check, but Dom was all over me trying to get past and eventually we went into stowe side by side and then into Vale with him on the outside. I made sure to give him room, so I had to get on the brakes hard and keep to the inside, and locked up the rear in the process and spinning hopelessly at 20 mph (those who've driven the C6R will know how easy it is to end up doing this). Shortly after that, frustrated, I was a little to eager on the throttle in one of the following laps and had another spin out of club. I got my head together after that and slowly worked back up into the top 10.

Still, it was great fun and probably one of the most intense races I've been in, oh and yeah, well done Brian too!

Edit: James, yeah I'll definately try and do the pro series early next year.

That's some crazy high FFB. You're probably getting more force than feedback at those levels, depending on your windows settings.

I'm running 101% overall, everything else at 0, centering unchecked, and I use 5 FFB in the vette. It does have light steering, but if you raise the FFB too much you lose a lot of the actual feedback. I use 3-5 in game, depending on the car and how much caster is in the setup. This is on a G25.

Quote from StableX :do you keep the same FFB setting for each car or do you tweak it for each?

For the C6R I find I have to add about 10 extra to the FFB setting in iRacing compared to say, the Mazda. I use 28 - 30 in the mazda depending on the track and 38 - 42 in the C6R.

Quote from brianmcd :That's some crazy high FFB. You're probably getting more force than feedback at those levels, depending on your windows settings.

I'm running 101% overall, everything else at 0, centering unchecked, and I use 5 FFB in the vette. It does have light steering, but if you raise the FFB too much you lose a lot of the actual feedback. I use 3-5 in game, depending on the car and how much caster is in the setup. This is on a G25.

I don't have a G25 so its just the DFP right now. I prefer to really feel things. With some cars it snaps too much like the indy car and I reduce it Same for the Lotus.
Just been looking through the results of the big Silverstone race & who do i find crashed of the B final, only Rich Crozier. must of had a moment & binned it.
Mid-Ohio Sport Car Course will come in the summer next year. That`s a great track imo..

The official name says it all: Mid-Ohio Sport Car Course. One of America’s favorite race tracks snakes, twists and turns up hill and down dale through the lush countryside of central Ohio. It’s not part of a glitzy multi-purpose motorsports complex; there’s never been an oval or a drag strip here . . . and never will be. Mid-Ohio is 2.25 miles of pure, unadulterated sports car heaven (2.4 miles with the Keyhole chicane). No wonder the SCCA made it home to the National Runoffs from 1994 to 2005. And no wonder Mid-Ohio has been a fixture on every major American road racing series calendar for nearly forty years. Beginning in the summer of 2010, it can be a part of your iRacing calendar as well.
iRacing seems to lack a certain amount of red in every picture... It still all olooks too clean.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :iRacing seems to lack a certain amount of red in every picture... It still all olooks too clean.

Agreed, they did say they are working on adjusting this though.
i think it needs a bit more contrast
Working on that too. This is what Shawn Nash of iRacing said:

"There is an issue with contrast and color balance. We're working on graphics updates that deal with that, and true HDR lighting, DOF blurr, etc. We've had higher priorities right now, but all of that stuff is on our todo list. I've been able to play around with the contrast and color balance and it makes a huge difference.

Our track surface shaders are very lame right now. :-) The only objects with shaders doing anything complicated are the cars.

Shawn Nash, iRacing Staff"

I'm looking forward to that update, you'd think just tweaking contrast and color couldn't take that long to get in there.
Brands Hatch
Quote from Vendetta :http://www.samiad.co.uk/ra/ra.html

some real life vs iracing side by side shots.

I have to say sometimes i've been less than impressed by the iR graphics but this rly proves how good they are. Just need a few tweaks in the saturation zone & some HDR lighting effects & we're good to go.

Also Greg Hill has confirmed Brands due out in the next 10 days! Looks like i will be buying myself an early Christmas present this year .
Quote from anttt69 :Also Greg Hill has confirmed Brands due out in the next 10 days! Looks like i will be buying myself an early Christmas present this year .

AWESOME! Me too...
Those comparison shots are amazing.

Brands hatch for Xmas great!

On xmas morning, Daughter - "Where's dad?"

Wife - "Uh emm, he'll have locked himself in the pc room with his new Xmas present"

Me shouting through - "Put my Xmas dinner in the microwave, I'll get it later, just a few more laps"
more like "where are my presents mummy?"

"oh they're under the stairs, sorry they're not wrapped but dad's been too busy at brands "
Any word on Oulton?
Zandy is next on the drawing board & they have mentioned the Aussie V8 & Philip island being early 2010 so it looks like Oulton will be Spring 2010ish.

Here's a pic for those on the outside.
Attached images
brands_hatch_01_2009.12.11.jpg
More of Brands Hatch
Attached images
BH1.jpg
BH2.jpg
BH4.jpg
wooow...

Brands as a Christmas gift??
This thread is closed

iRacing