The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
i hope the members site isnt this slow all the time, its like having 512kb internet again.
Quote from brt900 :is it possible to get iracing free trail with paypal and if it is do i just have to have £1 in my acc

I think you will be able to but I would imagine as its subscription based, you'll need to have your paypal linked to a credit card OR a bank account.
Quote from Danke :I'll be curious to hear how you guys like the SRF. That car was the most intriguing part of the original announcement to me.

All I can say after 10 minutes of testing at Lime Rock is...

YES!!!! THIS is what a race car should feel like!! It's more grounded than the Skippy, but it's still gonna slide the back end out in the corners if you're not careful. Force feedback wise it's defininitely more similar to the SKippy than the Solstice. You can feel every bump.

Word of advice: DON'T go off the accelerator on the faster corners! It doesn't like that very much. (just like the Skippy)

I'm going back to Lime Rock. See you in a few weeks.
It is very similar and yet extremely dissimilar to the skippy at the same time. You don't really want to slide this thing around. It has an open differential...and its effected even worse from it than the skippy is. I think the lack of power makes you unable to really hang a high speed slide in this thing. The first corner of Sebring I spun out every time until about the 10th lap.

It is very fun though! I think the skippy is way easier to drive. This car doesn't let you get away with as much nonsense as you can in the skippy. This car actually requires some precision whereas the skippy is just get it sideways and you'll be ok lol. I think they could switch the skippy to rookie class and the SRF to D class based on first impressions tbh...but its fine like this too.

People are definitely going to bitch when the fast guys put up their laps and they're never lifting off the gas
I take it by "not lifting off the gas", you're leaving it floored and braking when you need to. If so, that's really bad news for me, suffering here in combined throttle/brake axis hell. It sure sounds like fun though for people with proper controllers.
Quote from Danke :I take it by "not lifting off the gas", you're leaving it floored and braking when you need to. If so, that's really bad news for me, suffering here in combined throttle/brake axis hell. It sure sounds like fun though for people with proper controllers.

No, I'm using right foot braking, so I have to lift off when I brake. But once I've heel&toed for a corner I have to get back on the accelerator quickly. You don't want to go coasting through a corner, that's what I meant. (That's of course not often a good idea in any car, but this one really punishes you if you do!)

Tried it at Laguna now as well. It's a good 4 seconds faster than the Solstice.
I love the way SRF sounds
So you can pay via Paypal now?
what is a better car to buy? the Chevy Impala SS Nascar or the Star Mazda?
Quote from trebor901 :what is a better car to buy? the Chevy Impala SS Nascar or the Star Mazda?

What license do you have? In my opinion no real point to buy the Impala if you can't race it yet.
ah yeah good point, is the Mazda any good? like the look of it cos i like small formula cars but dunno
I haven't raced with it yet, I'm just getting promoted to C next week. I've done a little testing and it seems fun, kind of like the FOX on LFS maybe, possibly a little quicker. I'm looking forward to getting into it next season.
The mazda has a lot of attitude...by that I mean it won't hesitate to throw you into the wall when you do something it doesn't like.

Its glued to the ground extremely well, but can let go very quickly and if you don't do everything perfect you're in trouble.

It is imo one of the hardest cars to drive in the sim, but very fast, fun, and rewarding.
i just want a car thats different to the default 3 you get, they're good but i want something different. Something that will help me get further on into the sim.
Quote from trebor901 :ah yeah good point, is the Mazda any good? like the look of it cos i like small formula cars but dunno

if you like single seaters that have great downforce but snap out at times but you can really push it, then the Mazda's the go! I didn't try it for ages because I heard a lot of complaints. Since last June they've done a lot of tweaks and changes and it's my favourite road car. It's brilliant to drive.

Be aware though, if you want to run it for the Season 2 of 2009, the season's using quite a few custom tracks so remember that you get 20% discount buying 6 items at once!

Schedule for S2 - 2009 Mazda

Week 1 Road America 20 laps
Week 2 Sebring 20 laps
Week 3 Lime Rock 48 laps
Week 4 Infineon IRL2 28 laps
Week 5 Laguna Seca 31 laps
Week 6 Milwaukee 75 laps (oval)
Week 7 Silverstone 24 laps
Week 8 VIR Full 24 laps
Week 9 Road Atlanta 33 laps
Week 10 VIR West 17 laps
Week 11 Summit 38 laps
Week 12 Sebring 20 laps
just done a 25 lap race round summit point in the Solstice and came 2nd but on lap 21 someone who was a lap down wouldnt get out of my way, then he braked early and i locked up and ran into the back of him, after the race he blamed it on me when he should have got out the way.

I dont know why but with iRacing i will happily do these long races where as if you put me in front of LFS and said "here you go do 25 laps around here" my answer would be "bugger off". Really like the way the cars feel on iRacing.
Is it just me or do some cars sound little different now, like Legends for an example?
Cup car sounded the same when I tested my logos. The legend car sounds the same to me too.
Oh well, maybe SRF just re-calibrated my ears or something.
Quote from Crommi :Is it just me or do some cars sound little different now, like Legends for an example?

I'm with you, I think there is a slight differance in the Legends too, but I think others still sound the same.
lovin the spec racer even if i havent had time to get used to it properly. cam ein from work this morning and entered a race at the glen after about 9 laps practice 9never seen the place apart from the footage of stewart retiring after his team mate died ) did ok till i crashed after 6 or 7 laps but a lot of fun. hope to god they give us a few races away from the d licence drivers this season as it'll be a pretty to loose sr points at that level.

mackie have you put your club logo on your paintwork yet?
Teedot came out with a great analogy for the sound of the Spec Racer yesterday.....

imagine a Ford Focus with a big hole in the exhaust

Still, the SpecRacer is awesome fun!
I love the car, but still a bit gutted that we are forced to run it on the 'free' tracks. It'll get boring after one season, if not faster :\
Quote from tinvek :
mackie have you put your club logo on your paintwork yet?

I have only got the Logo on the Late Mode at the moment, being trying to find a paint scheme with the Spec Racer that matches the SRS desgin as closely as I can.

They have added a few things on the Paint option, but I still feel it's restrictive at the moment, you can't view the logo on the car untill you test and you cant move the logo around, although I could be wrong on that as I only spent about 10 mins on it.
Nope you're right, they said you'll be able to view numbers/logos in the paint chooser in the next update, but it doesn't work right now. Its annoying for testing purposes, that's for sure.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG