The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Dang i just keep preforming in I racing wow.

I am better at this than i ever was at LFS somehow the wins feel better then they ever did in LFS even 3rd places feel better that LFS wins.

Congrats mate. What's your name in iRacing? Look for Andy Kirschetorte. Will look out for you
Quote from Gills4life :The iRacing races are all a decent length aswell, so you have to have much higher concentration levels to see it through without making mistakes.

That's one of the things I like the most in iRacing. Also having longer races, relatively far apart, no restarts and with cardboard cars plus limited options to fix them - it's better to think twice before trying something silly. In LFS things like Shift-R and Shift-P and nearly indestructable cars end up promoting arcade-like behaviors.

The downside however is if you end up being the receiving end of silliness, you're going to pay dear as well.

iRating is also very nice: in LFS I always had trouble finding closely matched opponents.

All in all I don't think I'd like iRacing as much as I do if it was just another LFS with better physics/FFB.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
You can do tests which are offline practice, however you still need the internet to use the iracing website. In the test session you can use any car/track combination. You can also do practice sessions online where you can drive with other people on the car/track set for the season's schedule during that week. Even though you're online with other people, SR and iRating do not count in the practice sessions, so it's a great place to practice close driving with other people without having to worry about being punished!
Just to say, in offline mode you can use any car/track combo that you own, not all that iRacing have as you have to buy a large proportion of content after the stock stuff that comes with the basic package.
OT
Does anyone else find it humorous that the longest standing, most viewed thread with the most non-spam posts in it is about iRacing?
/OT
This could possibly be the most on topic thread in the history of internet forums.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :OT
Does anyone else find it humorous that the longest standing, most viewed thread with the most non-spam posts in it is about iRacing?
/OT

true! It's been a pretty informative thread so far
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :OT
/OT

The thread seems to be run (as in the people joining in) by more mature people then the threads in the rest of the forum.

Thankfully the community here is cool enough to let us have a decent discussion about iR here because I am not very into the iR forum at all.

But yeah, great topic, hope it continues.
This is the only thread i follow on this forum nowadays
Quote :Bedford, MA (April 12, 2010) - With apologies to the poet T.S. Eliot, if you are a stock-car racing fan, "April is the coolest month" - both the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series visit Talladega Superspeedway, the fastest closed-circuit race track in the world. And this month, iRacing.com's 2010 World Tour presents the iRacing community with its only double-header, races on April 25 honoring both of NASCAR's top divisions. So every member of the iRacing community will have the chance to see for themselves the differences between the Sprint Cup and Nationwide cars with these full-length back-to-back races on the legendary Alabama high-banked oval.
"Based on the response we had to our Daytona 500 event in February, we expect a huge turnout of iRacers for Talladega," said Kevin Bobbitt, iRacing.com's director of marketing. "Many of NASCAR's top drivers will be doing 811 miles of racing on the last weekend of April, and this is the chance for our members see what that's like and to make back-to-back comparisons on how these two very different racecars perform on NASCAR's fastest and often most exciting track."
Bobbitt noted that the event is open to all iRacing.com members, regardless of license level, from the newest rookie to the most grizzled veteran. (iRacing.com is currently running a special promotion. New members can purchase a 3-month membership, which includes Talladega Superspeedway, for $25.00, which is 50% off the regular price. See www.iracing.com for complete details.)
Because the number of entries will be so large - as many as 2,000 of the service's 20,000+ members are expected to compete - the field is broken down according to skill and experience level into an appropriate number of iterations of 34 cars each, with each iteration of the online race running on its own server.
"Someone can join iRacing.com the day before and still compete," Bobbitt said. "They'll be racing with other rookies, while our more experienced members will be racing with others of their skill level. Everyone has a chance to win his or her race, and to experience the thrill of 185 mile-per-hour pack racing on the fastest track in the world."

$25 for a race.
I bought the lotus. I like it a lot but the car does not appear to be that popular. Only 7 cars in a race at 21:45 CET.

Does the Indycar have the same popularity issue?
Quote from Joris :I bought the lotus. I like it a lot but the car does not appear to be that popular. Only 7 cars in a race at 21:45 CET.

Does the Indycar have the same popularity issue?

I think the indy is more popular.....

I like the Lotus too. Really great and hard to control too......
The Lotus isn't as popular as the Dallara, but there is a great core group of guys running it in the official races.

edit: and +1 to this thread.
anyone know what the "maintenance" is for today ?
Quote from tinvek :anyone know what the "maintenance" is for today ?

It'll be a pre-cursor to the V8 + Phillip Island or a server update for the 499 I'd expect, although don't take my word for it!
Quote from Wilko868 :It'll be a pre-cursor to the V8 + Phillip Island or a server update for the 499 I'd expect, although don't take my word for it!

I don't think it would take that long... It's taking almost two hours now and the forums are also affected... This seems to be something bigger...
Quote from bbman :I don't think it would take that long... It's taking almost two hours now and the forums are also affected... This seems to be something bigger...

Well I have just got up. It'd be lovely if it was something bigger but being an LFS man I don't expect that kind of thing
I finally got iRacing the other day and all I can say is it feels great. Really looking forward to getting more into it now.
Quote from CSF :I finally got iRacing the other day and all I can say is it feels great. Really looking forward to getting more into it now.

good luck in the celtic forum. I hear it's mayhem in there and quite a good laugh!!!

Hope to see you on track
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG