The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Anyone see the crash Huttu caused? We now know he is human!
Quote from PMD9409 :Anyone see the crash Huttu caused? We now know he is human!

Yep, of course he is human. He has a reputation for being some dominating super human machine, but the man can make mistakes just like the rest of us. Notice how he only has 60/70 races in his entire iRacing career. His approach to sim racing is totally different to most of us. It would seem he spends 90% of his sim time practicing offline, and 10% in online official sessions. That's why he has such a good record. Personally I could never do that, I like to jump into sessions and just have fun a lot of the time.
The race/broadcast was brilliant. I thought Greger would have pitted after his crash but it seems like it wasnt that bad.
Quote from DaveWS :Yep, of course he is human. He has a reputation for being some dominating super human machine, but the man can make mistakes just like the rest of us. Notice how he only has 60/70 races in his entire iRacing career. His approach to sim racing is totally different to most of us. It would seem he spends 90% of his sim time practicing offline, and 10% in online official sessions. That's why he has such a good record. Personally I could never do that, I like to jump into sessions and just have fun a lot of the time.

Yeah he's been like that since 02/03 when we were racing in NR03. You'd never see him run online ever, just when those big league races were around. He'd show up, well preparred as always, and win.

I could have all the time in the world, but unless I am getting paid (well) to do it, I would never practice/race like he does.
Quote from PMD9409 :Yeah he's been like that since 02/03 when we were racing in NR03. You'd never see him run online ever, just when those big league races were around. He'd show up, well preparred as always, and win.

I could have all the time in the world, but unless I am getting paid (well) to do it, I would never practice/race like he does.

Well, he's going to win $10,000 worth of money / prizes, so...
Heh. He is one of those guys that just appear out of nowhere, win and disappear again. Mystical.
Quote from Gnomie :Well, he's going to win $10,000 worth of money / prizes, so...

But I need the money to get out of work/college to be able to have the time to actually practice.
Just got iRacing 2 days ago. I have to say...the SR is retarded...

I worked to get from 2.5 to 2.7 then a wrecker comes in the session...literally takes out EVERYONE and even drives backwards. Dropped me down to 2.3

I hate how you get penalized for things that aren't your fault....I hope the higher ups are better...

But so far...I'M LOVING IRACING. I canceled my Xbox live account just so I can replace it with iR. I'm also noticing a lot of LFS names in the random ticker
Im glad you like it but beware, its not all its cracked up to be. Certainly doesn't live up to the price tag, yet. When they bring weather, day/night transition & transmission model it just might be worth it.
Quote from lizardfolk :I hate how you get penalized for things that aren't your fault....I hope the higher ups are better...

If you're still racing the rookie series, yes it gets much better as you move up the ladder.
Unless you get put into a split where you patiently wait 20 laps to get an opening on a guy and he comes down across your nose... Or a split where someone is so afraid of the wall he will go up to it, then jump down an entire lane into someone else to avoid it... Strangely enough, the guy was an A class driver...

It seems I find much better racing in the hosted sessions rather than the official sessions. You still get your crashes and rookie mistakes, but people are far less likely to block at all costs at the beginning of the race.
In Rookie, finishing high doesn't really matter, just finishing cleanly.

The few Rookie races I actually did, I placed quite high simply by a) not qualifying (crazy strategy I know) and b) letting the spacial-awareness-challenged folk sort themselves out, and patiently weaving through them... worked like a charm.

Though I only had a handful of races that had major issues, that was a long time ago. Maybe now that it's more populated (and getting more everyday - people actually race the radical now) it's more of a crap shoot?
Quote from anttt69 :Im glad you like it but beware, its not all its cracked up to be. Certainly doesn't live up to the price tag, yet. When they bring weather, day/night transition & transmission model it just might be worth it.

personal view I think... I think it is worth the cash I think LFS is too.... I think rFactor is too cheap and the really good mods should charge
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Maybe now that it's more populated it's more of a crap shoot?

The road races in the Rookie Solstice and the SRF have been pretty much clean for me. No wreckers, dive bombers, or other funny behaviors. No crazy blockers or people who want to pass at all costs. Most people join with some knowledge of the combo and those who don't usually go off track soon and quit not much later.

When I first joined iRacing I was paranoid to be in front, but got over that quickly, as soon as I realized people behind you don't usually use your car as a brake, turning aid or just as an obstacle to be removed from the track as it happens way too often in LFS.

I haven't had as much as luck in oval racing though.

edit:

I do think it's not quite worth the price tag as well... 1 full season in D requires purchases for ~150$. That's plain crazy.

Yes I could avoid getting the full season content but that way it's harder to get partecipation bonuses, and BTW not being able to race online for entire weeks sucks since the base subscription alone is 100$ a year.

So this is one happy customer that won't be resubscribing.
the cost of class D is a real probelm for iracing. if they make it so it only introduces a couple of tracks over the rookie class then people complain that the circuit's are boring and repetative, if as currently they use a more new tracks then it becomes a costly move, infact it's currently probably the biggest single expenditure of any promotion level as the c and higher classes introduce less new tracks ove rthe preceeding level.

personally i think the answer would be to have one of the class d series to just use maybe 4 or 5 tracks,2 of which, for the road series, would be lime rock and laguna, that way expenditure would be limitted to a car and maybe 3 tracks. if the right ones were chosen then for the road side, they would still have multiple configs to use to add variety. that way those that wanted 12 different venues could choose one series and those ona tighter budget would still be able to compete in a series. closest to this at the moment is the spec racer series which uses 6 venues
I have it since 4 days ago, I already won a few races, and got my SR up, but is frustrating that with an off track and that stuff, it goes down...
Got the grip on the Solstice at Lime Rock, and hit 1:04.00x and pretty much low 04s, and it's good IMO for a noob in iRacing, now Laguna Seca is boring and hard for me, prefered LimeRock.

It's good, but in no way I would pay to have more cars, like 12 dls?
Quote from tinvek :the cost of class D is a real probelm for iracing. if they make it so it only introduces a couple of tracks over the rookie class then people complain that the circuit's are boring and repetative, if as currently they use a more new tracks then it becomes a costly move, infact it's currently probably the biggest single expenditure of any promotion level as the c and higher classes introduce less new tracks ove rthe preceeding level.

personally i think the answer would be to have one of the class d series to just use maybe 4 or 5 tracks,2 of which, for the road series, would be lime rock and laguna, that way expenditure would be limitted to a car and maybe 3 tracks. if the right ones were chosen then for the road side, they would still have multiple configs to use to add variety. that way those that wanted 12 different venues could choose one series and those ona tighter budget would still be able to compete in a series. closest to this at the moment is the spec racer series which uses 6 venues

If they offered participation credits for Rookie and increased the rate as well, it would be a lot better.

Even though I can afford it now, I still don't want to plonk down a hundred bucks plus subscription just to participate in a partial season in Skip Barbers. I would go for the Spec Racer, but I think it handles like crap and if I were to tune it to handle nice then it would be a slow setup.
This looks great:

Pre-order the Aussie Ford V8 Super Car plus Phillip Island Circuit and we’ll give you $6 iRacing credits! All you have to do is buy them both between 4. 5.10 and 4.23.10. We’ll automatically send your bonus credits the week of the 26th.
The Aussie V8 and Phillip Island will be available for download during the 13th week of Season 1, or shortly thereafter. Bonus credits are in addition to any volume discounts you are eligible for. Limit one $6 iRacing credit per account. Purchases must be made between 00:01 GMT on 4.5.10 (19:01 EDT 4.4.10) and 23:59 GMT on 4.23.10 (18:59 EDT on 4.23.10) to qualify.
Quote from tinvek :the cost of class D is a real probelm for iracing. if they make it so it only introduces a couple of tracks over the rookie class then people complain that the circuit's are boring and repetative, if as currently they use a more new tracks then it becomes a costly move, infact it's currently probably the biggest single expenditure of any promotion level as the c and higher classes introduce less new tracks ove rthe preceeding level.

It is a difficult one but I do agree. I think the jump from the rookie to the Skippy series is a huge one in terms of the content needed. I think they should add in more stock content and change the bought track content each series. This way, it makes the class D more affordable for those coming through the ranks.

Already ordered the V8 and Philip Island Richard
Hehe....
He has carcontrol...
Quote from StableX :personal view I think... I think it is worth the cash I think LFS is too.... I think rFactor is too cheap and the really good mods should charge

Good mods should charge? Dont think so.
If they got the licences then yeah, if not, in charging money they are building their own graves. Only insidesimracing tv fails to see this...
Quote from StableX :iRacing have been very quiet, but have brought out a car for the younger members so they can practice donuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OqsILzlroQ

Haha! I want one

As you know Andy, I have already pre-ordered the V8 and Phillip Island. Can't wait to take it for a test drive!
Quote from StableX : I think they should add in more stock content and change the bought track content each series. This way, it makes the class D more affordable for those coming through the ranks.

I agree 100% the stock content needs to be a better package. Also whilst its nice of them to offer payed up members 20% off Aussie content, its still extortion.
LFS cost me £24 i have owned full content for 5 years & i will get another car & updated physics for free (when its ready). In comparison iRacing cost me $150, all i got was 6 months of membership & a portion of the content. The biggest thorn in my side is despite spending 4x as much on iRacing i cant just go load up the software i paid big bucks for & have a play because of their restrictions.

Its just not a fair deal, i hate renting, it just means constant spending for virtually nothing & every time they release more content iRacing becomes more expensive & so on & so on. Just out of interest how much would full content & two years membership cost? (incl of aussie cont)
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG