The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from anttt69 :. Just out of interest how much would full content & two years membership cost? (incl of aussie cont)

808,00$ for two years (and 1 month). That includes 20$ for my first month. I have all the content.
I think it`s cheap to have so much fun..32$ per month....Thats not even what i`m spending on fastfood per month and when my fishing was my hobby I spend A LOT more than 32$ a month.....
And I don`t care that I don`t owns it for the rest of my life..all the fastfood is in the toilet the day after...iRacing will still be there the day after I played it...

BTW. LFS has also costed me money. I have three S2 license and one S1. Then renting servers...that was also a lot of money... In the beginning I payed 15£ a month...and it ended costing 10£. I did that for 2,5 years in total....
Quote from anttt69 :I agree 100% the stock content needs to be a better package. Also whilst its nice of them to offer payed up members 20% off Aussie content, its still extortion.
LFS cost me £24 i have owned full content for 5 years & i will get another car & updated physics for free (when its ready). In comparison iRacing cost me $150, all i got was 6 months of membership & a portion of the content. The biggest thorn in my side is despite spending 4x as much on iRacing i cant just go load up the software i paid big bucks for & have a play because of their restrictions.

Its just not a fair deal, i hate renting, it just means constant spending for virtually nothing & every time they release more content iRacing becomes more expensive & so on & so on. Just out of interest how much would full content & two years membership cost? (incl of aussie cont)

It's all a view point. I think for the work that goes in, its a fair price. You don't!
Quote from anttt69 :I agree 100% the stock content needs to be a better package.

Or the other way round, i.e. the basic subscription sells for a few bucks a month (~3€). Their charging for both content AND service is a cross-eyed strategy IMO, but if they insist on keeping it as is they need to either make content much more affordable, or make the subscription a nominal fee.

I do understand that advancing through the ranks may not be as steep as switching to D but I also wonder how many add the bits and pieces to the cart and then fall off the chair when they see the grand total.

Certainly, luring customers in an extra at a time has to be more remunerative than scaring them away..?

...unless they're doing it on purpose...
I left iRacing before the hosted races started. How has that worked out? Did it reduce the number of people doing the public races as some people said it would? Was there an obvious increase in membership that could be attributed to the availability of hosted races/leagues?
Quote from anttt69 :I agree 100% the stock content needs to be a better package. Also whilst its nice of them to offer payed up members 20% off Aussie content, its still extortion.
LFS cost me £24 i have owned full content for 5 years & i will get another car & updated physics for free (when its ready). In comparison iRacing cost me $150, all i got was 6 months of membership & a portion of the content. The biggest thorn in my side is despite spending 4x as much on iRacing i cant just go load up the software i paid big bucks for & have a play because of their restrictions.

Its just not a fair deal, i hate renting, it just means constant spending for virtually nothing & every time they release more content iRacing becomes more expensive & so on & so on. Just out of interest how much would full content & two years membership cost? (incl of aussie cont)

This all sounds like your own fault...

Why would you pay $150 for it if you hate the idea of paying for it? None of your points make any sense at all.
Quote from NightShift :
I do understand that advancing through the ranks may not be as steep as switching to D but I also wonder how many add the bits and pieces to the cart and then fall off the chair when they see the grand total.

Certainly, luring customers in an extra at a time has to be more remunerative than scaring them away..?

Which is why I think they should change the discount system. As it stands, you have to purchase a lot of items in one go to get a discount. IMO it would make more sense to do this on a yearly basis. So if you've bought more than 6 items in the previous year you get the 20% discount refunded to you. That way people can buy a new track or a new car every now and then without having to make a massive purchase and plan ahead so much.
Quote from codehound :I left iRacing before the hosted races started. How has that worked out? Did it reduce the number of people doing the public races as some people said it would? Was there an obvious increase in membership that could be attributed to the availability of hosted races/leagues?

As far as we (FinnglishRacing) are concerned, for the last 7 weeks it's been a non event. We've provided combos that are a bit out of the ordinary but there's very little interest. Apart from us and the odd European you get Americans join, do a few laps, realise that turning right is too tricky, then leave. We've got 5 more weeks to go and unless things pick up we'll drop it.

EDIT: Apologies to Americans that CAN turn right.
Quote from spanks :
Why would you pay $150 for it if you hate the idea of paying for it? None of your points make any sense at all.

Hmm maybe hate was to strong a word to use, i certainly dont like the idea of renting something that just becomes more & more expensive. Why doesn't it make sense? I either try iRacing or i dont try iRacing, i didnt want to miss out on a sim that claims to be the best so i gave it a fair crack of the whip & came to my own conclusions.

Maybe it was a mistake to spend that much maybe it wasn't, i can always come back in two years or so when i feel its worth it & use all the content i currently own. With LFS as my benchmark iRacing still has a long way to go imo.
Quote from codehound :I left iRacing before the hosted races started. How has that worked out? Did it reduce the number of people doing the public races as some people said it would? Was there an obvious increase in membership that could be attributed to the availability of hosted races/leagues?

The last few months have seen the biggest increases in membership since iRacing went public, and that for sure has a lot to do with the hosted racing option. Based on stats posted mid-March, activity in official races has gone slightly down during this season while hosted racing has kept getting more popular. Certainly some of the drop in official series participation is because of the hosted option, but on the other hand, activity always goes down during a season.
Just got my B licence. Which series do you guys think is better to run? I'm not sure how many people show up for either, so need a bit of advice.
If I want to buy most of the cars+tracks+1 year suscription, it's gonna be 500+ dls
Quote from Wilko868 :Just got my B licence. Which series do you guys think is better to run? I'm not sure how many people show up for either, so need a bit of advice.

I'm not really the biggest fan of the B class road cars. I skipped them and drive the Indy now I'm A. I think the Lotus is the more fun out of the B class cars, but the Vette is probably more popular.
Quote from Wilko868 :Just got my B licence. Which series do you guys think is better to run? I'm not sure how many people show up for either, so need a bit of advice.

the choices are to get your B license up to 4.0 by driving C and lower class cars then drive the A class off the bat or drive cars like the vette. Personally, I'd get to 4.0 and go for the DP Riley, which I love. Also, if you get to 4.0 and drive an A class Car, that can count toward your needed MPR to progress from B to A, without needing to buy a class B!
Quote from Doorman :As far as we (FinnglishRacing) are concerned, for the last 7 weeks it's been a non event. We've provided combos that are a bit out of the ordinary but there's very little interest. Apart from us and the odd European you get Americans join, do a few laps, realise that turning right is too tricky, then leave. We've got 5 more weeks to go and unless things pick up we'll drop it.

EDIT: Apologies to Americans that CAN turn right.

My problem is that no one is around as late as I'm available. I can only really get on after about 1 AM here.

Since I can't really join hosted races much right now, I've focused on getting my license up.
Quote from anttt69 :Hmm maybe hate was to strong a word to use, i certainly dont like the idea of renting something that just becomes more & more expensive. Why doesn't it make sense? I either try iRacing or i dont try iRacing, i didnt want to miss out on a sim that claims to be the best so i gave it a fair crack of the whip & came to my own conclusions.

Maybe it was a mistake to spend that much maybe it wasn't, i can always come back in two years or so when i feel its worth it & use all the content i currently own. With LFS as my benchmark iRacing still has a long way to go imo.

I guess what confused me the most was calling something extortion that you voluntarily paid for. A little melodramatic

Also qft on people not being around for prime time in the Pacific time zone.
Quote from StableX :the choices are to get your B license up to 4.0 by driving C and lower class cars then drive the A class off the bat or drive cars like the vette. Personally, I'd get to 4.0 and go for the DP Riley, which I love. Also, if you get to 4.0 and drive an A class Car, that can count toward your needed MPR to progress from B to A, without needing to buy a class B!

The MPR is completed with releative ease now, I had the Vette and Mosport handy so I just ran a few TTs to get them done.

The SR... well, that could be tricky...

+1 to more stock content in iRacing.

However, LFS could be god's gift to sim racing and it still won't matter when you get nailed in T1 every race, and that is my experience since CTRA went down. The quality of racing in iRacing is what counts, and it is well worth the price imo. And yes I've heard the league argument, I'm not interested. It doesn't fit how I want to use the software, so I have to pay iRacing for clean public pick-up racing.
Quote from Wilko868 :The MPR is completed with releative ease now, I had the Vette and Mosport handy so I just ran a few TTs to get them done.

The SR... well, that could be tricky...

OK, sod that mentality. Just got my A licence after a days work in the Skip. See you two on track in the IndyCar or DP soon!
I just realized that even if I get my class C oval license, I can't complete the MPR for a while anyway as I can't afford to get the Silverado or any tracks for a lil while...
Shameless plug, 2 weeks and 3 days before end of the season.
http://kidcz.ic.cz/jetta.JPG

I'm definately not going to win, because Facklam is close behind with one week to do, but top5 is realistic and top3 would be awesome for me. My subscription is ending in few weeks and because i don't have some of required tracks, my season is already over, so fingers crossed.
Looks like you will beat your brother (?), grats.
Quote from Wilko868 :OK, sod that mentality. Just got my A licence after a days work in the Skip. See you two on track in the IndyCar or DP soon!

I run the IndyCar mostly. That and the Radical, I'll look out for you! The IndyCar is a tough car to master. Good fun on the oval at Chicagoland this week.
Dang i just keep preforming in I racing wow.

I am better at this than i ever was at LFS somehow the wins feel better then they ever did in LFS even 3rd places feel better that LFS wins.
Quote from Chrisuu01 : somehow the wins feel better then they ever did in LFS even 3rd places feel better that LFS wins.

It's the physics
It's the fact that you ARE racing for something. iRating and SR. In LFS a win feels so hollow because it's just a quick shift+r and suddenly the win is forgotten and you have to try again, same cycle. The iRacing races are all a decent length aswell, so you have to have much higher concentration levels to see it through without making mistakes. It doesn't really matter so much in LFS because most races online are 5 or 6 laps long so if you crash you just wait for the next in a few minutes and you're not punished for poor driving or anything like you are in iRacing...

also what BBT said
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG