The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
When I used iRacing for a month I found the initial update process was quite slow and took several attempts. I was fine with that, because all manner of problems can cause problems with downloading large updates. Once it was all done it worked fine.

Alan, it appears to me that you don't meet the requisite standard of intelligence for such a simulator. Go and play in your pedal kart some more.
Quote from tristancliffe :When I used iRacing for a month I found the initial update process was quite slow and took several attempts. I was fine with that, because all manner of problems can cause problems with downloading large updates. Once it was all done it worked fine.

Alan, it appears to me that you don't meet the requisite standard of intelligence for such a simulator. Go and play in your pedal kart some more.

hehe the same pedal kart that could lap fast than your big boy car around Snetterton. Can't wait! Hopefully I won't go tipping some poor lad on his head using that half a brain cell I have
Quote from th84 :If I have my SR above 3.0 on oval, but my Road SR is below 3.0 (I almost strictly run the ovals) will I move up to D? Or do I need to get my Road SR up as well? If so, what else do I need to do to get moved up from rookie?

Road and oval are separate. To get road into D you need to have sr above 3.0 AND you need to have done at least 2 TTs or 4 race sessions (iirc). The same for both road and oval. If I was you I'd make sure the requirements are me for both lisences simply because it takes so little time and effort .

To go from D to C: Here's something I wrote about this earlier:

Quote from Hyperactive :So in order to level up to C lisense you need to do at least 4 TTs or races in late model for oval and/or skippie for road. Plus need to have sr above 3.0 in each. Doing sk or mazda races does count as well. But doing solstice races do not count towards getting c/b/a/x/h4x lisense as does not running legends oval races.

It's all explained here under "Minimum participation requirements"
http://membersmedia.iracing.co ... ting_Code_v20081029.3.pdf
Quote from Intrepid :hehe the same pedal kart that could lap fast than your big boy car around Snetterton. Can't wait! Hopefully I won't go tipping some poor lad on his head using that half a brain cell I have

That seems a very odd boast to make
Quote from Intrepid :hehe the same pedal kart that could lap fast than your big boy car around Snetterton. Can't wait! Hopefully I won't go tipping some poor lad on his head using that half a brain cell I have

Yes, a lawn mower engine on steroids is going to beat a car round the circuit with the longest straight in the country, I'd be suprised if you could beat my Focus...

EDIT - after a little bit of googleing I quickly find someone claiming Superkarts are faster than F3 cars (with no evidence) on another forum. For reference:
2008 Superkart fastest lap at Castle Combe - 1.05.881
2005 Formula 3 car - 0.59.387

In fairness it is quite impressive that they're only 6 seconds a lap slower, about the pace of club level single seaters, although that is still on a track with Quarry and two chicanes to help them. Round Snetterton would be very different and of course Alan you don't race a Superkart...
Quote from ajp71 :Yes, a lawn mower engine on steroids is going to beat a car round the circuit with the longest straight in the country, I'd be suprised if you could beat my Focus...

I took my 6R4 around Snetterton. Almost blew the engine up as the gearing was too low for it

I've asked for your race results a number of times, yet I never get any. Your name never comes up on the Superkart results, so I expect the quickest go kart you've ever raced was what, about 30hp? What is your lap record around a UK circuit like Snet?
Quote from tristancliffe :I've asked for your race results a number of times, yet I never get any. You're name never comes up on the Superkart results, so I expect the quickest go kart you've ever raced was what, about 30hp? What is your lap record around a UK circuit like Snet?

TRISTAN! I'm... shocked... ... You're! ... YOU'RE!!!

Your name is dead to me. DEAD.... DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops. Guilty as charged.
'sok, I just found it amusing for you to make such a mistake, I actually thought my eyes were messed up and I was seeing things.
As for the actual topic () I went and bought the truck with my hard earned money (TM). And damn and lols it's hopping a lot . I mean it's almost past rediculous . Well, until you double the spring rates and add a lot spring perch which makes it a loooot better. Did some laps around infineon and was enjoying it quite a lot although the setup is quite horrible atm.. Still, probably the best road car yet in iracing
Stop posting this shit, or I'll end up having to renew my iRacing subscription and buy cars, then my GF won't end up getting her Birthday+Christmas presents!
Quote from Hyperactive :As for the actual topic () I went and bought the truck with my hard earned money (TM). And damn and lols it's hopping a lot . I mean it's almost past rediculous . Well, until you double the spring rates and add a lot spring perch which makes it a loooot better. Did some laps around infineon and was enjoying it quite a lot although the setup is quite horrible atm.. Still, probably the best road car yet in iracing

Apparently the track specific setups that iRacing has included with the update are MUCH better than the setup the Silverado has without manually loading one. At first there were a lot of complaints on the official forum about excess bounciness, but after people realized that there were setups for every(?) oval track included, I haven't seen anymore complaints.
Quote from Hyperactive :As for the actual topic () I went and bought the truck with my hard earned money (TM). And damn and lols it's hopping a lot . I mean it's almost past rediculous . Well, until you double the spring rates and add a lot spring perch which makes it a loooot better. Did some laps around infineon and was enjoying it quite a lot although the setup is quite horrible atm.. Still, probably the best road car yet in iracing

Funny you say that. For me up until this week the best road car was the legend advanced...... then this week I found the radical to drive on laguna .... Hard to choose between these two now!

Funny how the oval cars have the best feel around a road course apart from the Silver Clown!
Quote from StableX :Funny you say that. For me up until this week the best road car was the legend advanced...... then this week I found the radical to drive on laguna

Radical. Best road car by a country mile. Just fantastic.

Mazda. Most fun you can have on an oval, especially since yesterdays update.

Silverado. Handles like a...erm...truck You'd loose your lunch pretty quickly irl in that. Bouncier than an extra bouncy bouncy castle. (admittedly i only did 3 laps in it.)
Well my truck is going to spend next season lugging my Radical spares around each track
The only place the truck really bounces a lot is Daytona but that's normal. That track is crazy bumpy. More like whoops. There are a couple youtube vids showing how bad the track has gotten over the years. It's going to be deadly the first week with the truck at Daytona. Running side by side bouncing around. Should be fun but I think my SR might take a big hit. Looking forward to the challenge.

Other than that the truck does seem to have a very soft suspension. It has lots of body role with all the default setups at all the tracks. Truck at Martinsville was perticularly fun.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Stop posting this shit, or I'll end up having to renew my iRacing subscription and buy cars, then my GF won't end up getting her Birthday+Christmas presents!

It's just great fun

---
I don't know about the radical being the best in iracing for a road car. It gets very easily upset by any bumps, touching the kerbs while any steering will insta-spin it and it has few quirks that imho are physics problems. The car suffers from the same bounciness that the truck (to a much lesser extent though) and it understeers a lot. I don't know if I'm dreaming or not but the on-power understeer is lessened in the latest release bit it's still there. The radical is quite fun on flat tracks like silverstone and road america but imho far too unpredictable at vir or laguna seca
Quote from Hyperactive :I don't know if I'm dreaming or not but the on-power understeer is lessened in the latest release bit it's still there. The radical is quite fun on flat tracks like silverstone and road america but imho far too unpredictable at vir or laguna seca

try this one around laguna.... I found it allows for a good bit of oversteer I managed a 1.21.34 with it today.
Attached files
Kirschetorte_rad_3.zip - 1.1 KB - 152 views
Quote from Hyperactive :
I don't know about the radical being the best in iracing for a road car. It gets very easily upset by any bumps, touching the kerbs while any steering will insta-spin it and it has few quirks that imho are physics problems. The car suffers from the same bounciness that the truck (to a much lesser extent though) and it understeers a lot. I don't know if I'm dreaming or not but the on-power understeer is lessened in the latest release bit it's still there. The radical is quite fun on flat tracks like silverstone and road america but imho far too unpredictable at vir or laguna seca

I'm not saying its easy to drive but it's the most fun.

It does still have physics issues though, as does the Mazda, which is disappointing considering the years of development and a $20,000,000 investment. With all that time and money plus the price of the cars to purchase i would have expected better, personally.

I quote.. "The Radical SR8 now has wing drag and rear downforce closer to what is "correct" based on our limited data from Radical UK"

Limited data? After all that hype about weighing every individual component etc I thought these cars were going to be pretty close to perfect. I got the impression that they knew everything there was to know about each car. Still, it was a quality bit of marketing

It's still a hoot to drive though.
The Radical physics were updated with the patch, the bad understeer issue has sorta gone now. I really liked the car before but now it's just fantastic fun.

Edite.....Moose I hate you, you beat me at everything
Quote from Hyperactive :Road and oval are separate. To get road into D you need to have sr above 3.0 AND you need to have done at least 2 TTs or 4 race sessions (iirc). The same for both road and oval. If I was you I'd make sure the requirements are me for both lisences simply because it takes so little time and effort .

To go from D to C: Here's something I wrote about this earlier:

It's all explained here under "Minimum participation requirements"
http://membersmedia.iracing.co ... ting_Code_v20081029.3.pdf

Thanks for the answer. So I guess I have 2 days to get this done.

Thanks again!
Quote from AlienT. :Edite.....Moose I hate you, you beat me at everything

Be happy in the knowledge you could beat me in a drinking competition
Quote :
Limited data? After all that hype about weighing every individual component etc I thought these cars were going to be pretty close to perfect. I got the impression that they knew everything there was to know about each car. Still, it was a quality bit of marketing

you can't weigh a wing and know how much downforce it has :P

The manufacture refuses to give up their dirty little aerodynamics secrets, and they don't have access to a wind tunnel.
Quote from The Moose :Be happy in the knowledge you could beat me in a drinking competition

Lol and you know he would take you up
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG