The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I'm having so many hardware problems I'm almost not able to crash out. My next problem is related to the Fanatec pedals, anybody else using them (particularly the beta test versions) with iRacing?

The problem is still the pedal inputs cutting momentarily, usually under full throttle (probably only because that is where it is most noticeable) it effects all sims I've tried it in but some are especially bad, a couple of rF mods do it really badly and iRacing has started doing it far worse, throttle is cutting out multiple times a lap. My initial theory was that it was related to some kind of interference with my speakers because the rF mods it has problems with are particularly screamy and in the past muting the sound has seemed to remove the problem, I've tried iRacing with headphones but it has made no difference so it isn't related to my speakers.
I find it a bit ironic that there's at least two things in iRacing, that was removed in LFS because it was considered not realistic. That is the digital speedometer and throttle blip on downshift. The blip sound when downshifting in the Legend is just awesome!

I'm having some issues with the steering though, can't seem to get the same snappy input as I have in LFS. I struggle with being to late with the steering in corners. And when trying to compensate the inevitable spin comes. There doesn't seem to be any controller fine tuning either, like in LFS.
Quote from Mattesa :Would it be fair to say that it's hard to tell if iRacing has any similar physics holes because of their much more limited (...realistic) setup options? For example, you can't put a locked diff into the Solstice to see if it's faster. It's also been mentioned before that the fast setups in LFS make the comparison much harder. For example the XRG, it's ridiculous how that thing drives, completely not realistic how tail-happy it is, but that's the setup and not necessarily the underlying physics. But thanks for analysis, some really good feedback in this thread.

If there are physics holes, they will show up later with more cars I think I like the idea of limiting setups, because then its more the driver. On the other hand some experimental cars to learn about setups are great too.

You may however be able to test the accelerating thing, comparing plain full throttle starts with controlled throttle starts.

Yeah, I agree on the setups. They make a really huge difference and some much to tail happy RWD cars can be tweaked to a safer real world car setup and will then understeer quite a bit.
In my experience the differential does a LOT. An open differential is much easier to drive at the limit, but still not 100% realistic somehow, because it feels just like a traction control somehow Real RWD cars often are quite understeery without an real open diff.
The missing snappy thing isn't a setup thing I think though.
Quote from ajp71 :The amount of energy any car, even a low power road car get gain within a car length or two from stationary is huge. Going into the back of even the car directly in front can cause big damage to both cars and is potentially large enough to cause injuries or rupture fuel tanks.

I don't know. I was rear ended in real life at about the same speed (in a tiny Miata). I slowed and then stopped to yield to another car while a driver coming down a hill said his brakes did not work and he hit me at ~25mph (I'm guessing..!?). The impact was really forceful and LOUD. My car leaped forward and my head whipped back. I thought my car was totaled. When I got out I was amazed that neither my car nor the car that hit me had any signs of damage. The damn bumper didn't even look scratched on either car Then again that was a text book accident - I was hit fairly square and both of our bumpers were at the same height.

In my iRacing incident, it wasn't exactly a square hit (my front right against his rear left).
Just had my first podium finish and it couldn't have been on more exciting race. I must have held my breath for half of the race and heart rate was through the roof. Had P1 for few laps but messed up on last corner damaging my rear quite badly on pitwall. From there on out it was just a struggle to keep the car on track and somehow managed to limp over finishing lane on 2nd position.

On top of that, my SR actually improved in that race despite how the car looks
Quote from Crommi :Just had my first podium finish and it couldn't have been on more exciting race. I must have held my breath for half of the race and heart rate was through the roof.

Nice. My heart rate is also out of control during these races (never had that issue with LFS). I find I have to take deep breathes on the long straight, lol. I just got my first win earlier today and it was damn exciting. I started 8th and went 3 wide into T1 at the start (by accident!). I spun and only took myself out. I got back on the track in last position with everyone way ahead and moved my way through the entire field and was in 2nd spot with one lap to go and I could see the leader in the distance. The leader went off track in the esses on the final lap and I passed him just as he got back on the track so I got a bit lucky - but I'll take it!
Quote from Technique :I don't know. I was rear ended in real life at about the same speed (in a tiny Miata). I slowed and then stopped to yield to another car while a driver coming down a hill said his brakes did not work and he hit me at ~25mph (I'm guessing..!?). The impact was really forceful and LOUD. My car leaped forward and my head whipped back. I thought my car was totaled. When I got out I was amazed that neither my car nor the car that hit me had any signs of damage. The damn bumper didn't even look scratched on either car Then again that was a text book accident - I was hit fairly square and both of our bumpers were at the same height.

In my iRacing incident, it wasn't exactly a square hit (my front right against his rear left).

I worked with cars for 3 years ( a fleet of 120 cars) I we had accidents daily.
One thing I do know is to calculate (roughly) damage costs just from a description of the accident (our drivers were _INSANE_)
A flat bumper to bumper causes nearly NO damage, with luck it will cost 0, with a tad of bad luck, it'll cost a new car emblem (about 100€), and with a bit less luck a new front or rear bumper (very rare).
Usually, when (when both cars are aligned) hits crack the plastic bumper, you'll need a new front grill, new headlamps (they will break) and usually a new bonnet, cause it will get hit, too. This is quite a severe hit, though - cars absorb very well flat hits. I read somewhere that peugeot had the 307/s front bumper rated to hit a wall up to 13kph with no damage at all.
Now, since both bumpers are flexible, they absorb the energy, and can get hit alot harder.

Another thing that is SUPER important in damage is whether you have your BRAKES on or not.
The following accident is real: A big lorry (20t lorry) stopped at a red light.
A small red Citroen AX stopped behind it, some 20 meters away (nearly 2 car lengths).
Our driver, driving a Peugeot Boxer (the big counterpart to britan's for transit) apparently decided braking was too strenous and hit the AX at about 45-55 kph. (driver didnt know). The Citroen didnt have his brakes on, and just went straight on, without braking straight into the back of the lorry. it hit the rear of the lorry, straight on in that lift that some lorries have (the one that folds up flat along the back of the lorry, and then flods down so its easier to unload).

Damages: Our Boxer: the front bumper broke from its supports, tilted down (10 mins of huff n puff fixed that, and off my driver went).
Lorry: no damage. not even a scratch.
Citroen: Perfect rear end - no damage at all.
Destroyed front end - EVERY single part in the front half of the car was destroyed - even the windshield broke (bonnet collapsed into the windshield). I could stand (and I did ) in front of the car, reach to both my sides, and reach both headlamps - I was standing where the engine used to be. (the old lady was fine, btw).

What really damages the car is getting hit slightly sideways - with the corner of the bumper , and/or against something that will not move to absorb the energy - like a car with brakes completly on, or a wall, or a petrol station-pump (boy THAT one was expensive - insurance company had a fit).
Quote from ajp71 :The price of the extra content is ridiculous though, I was looking at paying $15 at getting the Skip Barber car, until I realised that to actually race it each week I'd have to spend a further $45 on tracks...

And the more esoteric the car/track combo you want to drive, the less likely you'll find people with the same content at the times you want to race.

Have to agree I think the pricing is stupid, and I don't think it will work. Then again, sim racers are used to not having anyone to race against (except us lucky LFS people I suppose) so maybe they won't mind. Or maybe they will when they realise how much they've spent to get not much racing done.
You guys are making this sound very tempting, indeed... Ijust can't get over the whole price thing, though. I'm not willing to blow $20 a month to race... especially when I haven't even had the time to pop online in LFS in months.
same concern here - Ima gonna spend the same I'd spend in a "normal" game. Ill go with a 3month subs for 40€. Ill see what goes from there. If its wow-like quality, ill stay on. Otherwise, was nice, but will go down the road of GTR2 - played, had fun, shelved.
Quick question, I've been running Solstice Rookie serie and I'm little interested in testing my feets on Legends, but will it affect my standings, SR or any ratings if I change to Legends serie for one day?
I'm pretty sure they're two completely different safety ratings. But don't quote me on this.
Quote from technique :i'm Pretty Sure They're Two Completely Different Safety Ratings. But Don't Quote Me On This.

Muahahahahaha!!!
-
(RMachucaA) DELETED by RMachucaA
for some reason my oval safety rating has risen 0.03 since wednesday, so if the oval safety rating is not attached to the road course SR, then I guess you get 0.01 a day for free?

Anyhow, it looks like iracing has indirectly made some impact on lfs (i'm talking about the new cockpits).
So, had my first race tonight. Started 9th finished 3rd, best lap: 1:05.656, Zero incidents. I'm quite pleased with myself.

Performance however is rather cack on my machine. No more than 30 fps (relatively consistently, though) and iRacing doesn't exactly look stunning with Class 4 graphics. LFS looks better, tbh, especially with new interiors.

Anway, was an okay race, nothing spectacular and no real fights, but fun nonetheless.
btw, the new solstice cup is starting sunday at 0:00gmt at laguna seca. I hope I can fight the lime rock withdrawal symptoms
Two races today and I'm pretty amazed. Great clean fights for positions and nice feeling during races. I surely stay for long, than a month.
If anybody is interested to join I can pass some post-invitations invitations. Write me a PM with your real name (you have to drive with your real name) and your email address.

If the Server-System-Stats etc. doesn't have major problems in the coming weeks, new people will be able to join, it could be anything between 2 and 6 weeks depending on how trouble free everything works.

Quote from Crommi :Quick question, I've been running Solstice Rookie serie and I'm little interested in testing my feets on Legends, but will it affect my standings, SR or any ratings if I change to Legends serie for one day?

The Oval and Road Safety Rating does VERY SLIGHTLY affect each other.

Quote from mikey_G :for some reason my oval safety rating has risen 0.03 since wednesday, so if the oval safety rating is not attached to the road course SR, then I guess you get 0.01 a day for free?

Anyhow, it looks like iracing has indirectly made some impact on lfs (i'm talking about the new cockpits).

As the Oval and Road Course Racing Safety Rating slightly affect each other, it could be that the Oval Race have gained you 0,01 in your Road Course Racing Safety rating.

But it could also be that you closed the Website BEFORE a Session where you have been in has ended and calculated your new Rating. So you only saw your new rating now.

By the way, if you have done the required laps for a Time Trial or Qualy you can Quit the Sim and Withdraw from the session, your result will count.

If for example its 8:40 and I would want to Race at 9:00 o'clock, I dont wait 20 mn, I start a Time Trial, do the required laps, quit the Sim, withdraw from the session and join the Race. The Time Trial result will count.

Quote from Linsen :So, had my first race tonight. Started 9th finished 3rd, best lap: 1:05.656, Zero incidents. I'm quite pleased with myself.

Performance however is rather cack on my machine. No more than 30 fps (relatively consistently, though) and iRacing doesn't exactly look stunning with Class 4 graphics. LFS looks better, tbh, especially with new interiors.

Anway, was an okay race, nothing spectacular and no real fights, but fun nonetheless.

You should really turn lower some Graphic Options, everything below 38 is stutter and affects your driving performance and experience, I take 40 as the absolute minimum in all Sims
Hmm, my post seems to have been ignored so I'll re-post it.

This is really getting interusting.

Just some questions.

1. For invites, do I sign up on the website with my e-mail, name, address, etc or do people give invites to their friends?

2. If I buy it, it's 13$/month. Which cars and tracks do I get? Is it the Solstice and the Legends with the 7 tracks in the packages section of the website?

3. Which methods of payement are accepted? I'm guessing the regular ones meaning credit card and paypal?

I think I might actually try it for a month and see how it goes. :P
Quote from evilpimp :Hmm, my post seems to have been ignored so I'll re-post it.

Just some questions.

1. For invites, do I sign up on the website with my e-mail, name, address, etc or do people give invites to their friends?

Both, but for the moment sign up on the site.

Quote :2. If I buy it, it's 13$/month. Which cars and tracks do I get? Is it the Solstice and the Legends with the 7 tracks in the packages section of the website?

First of all it's $20/mo unless you sign up for a year all at once.

You get the Solstice and Legends car and, I believe, 7(?) tracks.

Quote :3. Which methods of payement are accepted? I'm guessing the regular ones meaning credit card and paypal?

Credit/debit card only.
kk thanks for the quick response this time . The only reason that I said 13$/month is because it says so in this page : http://iracing.com/membership/index.php .

If they accept debit from Canada I'll most likely be getting it very soon.
Quote from George Kuyumji :You should really turn lower some Graphic Options, everything below 38 is stutter and affects your driving performance and experience, I take 40 as the absolute minimum in all Sims

That puts me to Class 5 then. No reflections and all.

Seems my 7600GT is seriously limiting performance while my cpu is (E6300@2.4GHz) getting really bored. I get a maximum usage of 15%.

But oh well, a new graphics card is on the way.

Edit: stupid me. I had my AA and AF settings cranked up, and of course, iRacing doesn't override those. :doh:
Getting slightly below 60fps now when testing alone on class 4 with 2xAA (can't stand not having any AA).
yeah. Well I guess I'll be paying 7$ extra to try it for a month xD. Let's just hope I don't get hooked or else im gunna be broke. :S
Quote from evilpimp :Hmm, my post seems to have been ignored so I'll re-post it.

Just some questions.

2. If I buy it, it's 13$/month. Which cars and tracks do I get? Is it the Solstice and the Legends with the 7 tracks in the packages section of the website?

3. Which methods of payement are accepted? I'm guessing the regular ones meaning credit card and paypal?

I think I might actually try it for a month and see how it goes. :P

http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=314586
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG