The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
I was teaching you how to drift.
Spins are quite eay to avoid if you just stab the brakes and keep them fully locked for a short period. The car loses its angular movement and the locked wheels slow the car down in straight line. The best thing is, you get 0 SR penalty for this, which is especially silly as the move itself can be downright dangerous to anyone behind you!

And the system doesn't seem to be working for me. I just won another race with 20 second lead and the whole race was a boring one too. Started from the pole and lead through the race without any difficulties really. Are you getting equal people to race with or am I doing something wrong? My qualify time isn't too hot so would that explain things?
.. I was gonna do that race, but missed it by a few doing GFX settings. I'd try doing another quali, but if there's few people, you'll get paired with the sum of them all.
Quote from Hyperactive :Spins are quite eay to avoid if you just stab the brakes and keep them fully locked for a short period. The car loses its angular movement and the locked wheels slow the car down in straight line. The best thing is, you get 0 SR penalty for this, which is especially silly as the move itself can be downright dangerous to anyone behind you!

And the system doesn't seem to be working for me. I just won another race with 20 second lead and the whole race was a boring one too. Started from the pole and lead through the race without any difficulties really. Are you getting equal people to race with or am I doing something wrong? My qualify time isn't too hot so would that explain things?

I think it has to do with the amount of people that joined the race. I seem to be getting paired up with people running 1:05-1:06's. Last two races I was car #1 so I should technically have won both by a large margin but I usually screwup something..... for instance... jumping the start last race and getting black flagged... damnit!#! (then catching up to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and spinning....!).
Quote from Technique :I think it has to do with the amount of people that joined the race. I seem to be getting paired up with people running 1:05-1:06's. Last two races I was car #1 so I should technically have won both by a large margin but I usually screwup something..... for instance... jumping the start last race and getting black flagged... damnit!#! (then catching up to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and spinning....!).

Well, I just improved my qualify time so we'll see if the races get tougher now. Beware the pink car
.. What?! Aim For The Pink Car?!
OT - Can you Drift in iRacing?
seeing one of the fastest ways to drive many corners is a slight 4 wheel drift...

yeah.

Although a 4 cylinder AMERICAN sports car isn't a good drift car. ****ing fun to drive and race though.
Pink car won again..

I was faster though, just got held up a ton by 2 other cars (should qualify for these races I guess :razz.

Had what? 4? LFS racers in there, not bad.
Was pink pwnage

First race where I really had to push and concentrate for the whole race

Hope to see ya online more laters

EDIT: hmm, can non-rookies see the irating of rookies? I'd like to know what my irating is
Nah, I can't.
Quote from Hyperactive :Was pink pwnage

First race where I really had to push and concentrate for the whole race

Hope to see ya online more laters

EDIT: hmm, can non-rookies see the irating of rookies? I'd like to know what my irating is

ah, I didn't know that was you. yeah another incident riddled race for me. I passed two people at the start (following PMD haha), then rammed someone in T1 - not sure who. Car was damaged and wouldn't turn so I had to reset

# Time Comments
1 - -:- -.- - - invalid, pitted, off track, car reset, car contact <-- doesn't get much worse than that I'll be stuck in the rookie cars forever!

Who was the 4th LFSer?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :seeing one of the fastest ways to drive many corners is a slight 4 wheel drift...

yeah.

Although a 4 cylinder AMERICAN sports car isn't a good drift car. ****ing fun to drive and race though.

The gearing is awful... if it's boring on a track, it must be damn boring on local backroads... the gearing that is..
I have an incredible itch to try this now, especially since I just ordered a G25 for my brother, and I know I can ninja it from him whenever he's not racing. Is it worth it getting a 3 month subscription right off the bat, or should I take it slow and go for the 20 buck trial?
Quote from ajp71 :I signed up with my debit card, I think all the nonsense that was stated before about having to have a credit card was just coming from uninformed Americans who like to spend money they don't have on racing sims.

A bit surprised to hear credit cards are so looked down upon, tbh. Not a fan of the principle myself though.
Yes, you can certainly drift in iRacing. As Dustin said, the Solstice is not the best car for it, but you can maintain a drift assuming you're somewhere close to the power band and near the limits of grip in the first place. If you get too much angle it can be hard to avoid a spin, but getting it sideways is not hard if you're near the limit. If you just cruise into a corner fairly slowly and punch the throttle however, it will not suddenly snap sideways.

Quote from Jertje :I have an incredible itch to try this now, especially since I just ordered a G25 for my brother, and I know I can ninja it from him whenever he's not racing. Is it worth it getting a 3 month subscription right off the bat, or should I take it slow and go for the 20 buck trial?

I'd go for the $20 trial. It doesn't cost that much more per month and you'll know whether it's good for you without getting in for too much money. Then if you like it maybe you can go for a 6 month or 1 year
Visa, Visa Debit and Visa Electron seem to work just fine.
Quote from ajp71 :I signed up with my debit card, I think all the nonsense that was stated before about having to have a credit card was just coming from uninformed Americans who like to spend money they don't have on racing sims.

Quote from Mattesa :A bit surprised to hear credit cards are so looked down upon, tbh. Not a fan of the principle myself though.

I don't know what else was discussed regarding this topic, but from my side the fuss about credit cards was/is, that they are pretty much non-existent in middle Europe. In both cases, credit- or debit card, I would need to specifically go to my bank and request an extra card so I could pay for iRacing, that I wouldn't need anywhere else. If you're travelling much then I can see its use, but if you don't you can live your life perfectly fine without ever touching a credit or debit card (that works on the internet, anyway).
FWIW in the UK virtually everyone has a debit or credit card - you can have a debit card from age 16 (and I have 2), or a credit card from age 18.

It's even possible to make money of certain credit cards...

Suprised that they aren't used in Europe tbh...
Quote from AndroidXP :I don't know what else was discussed regarding this topic, but from my side the fuss about credit cards was/is, that they are pretty much non-existent in middle Europe. In both cases, credit- or debit card, I would need to specifically go to my bank and request an extra card so I could pay for iRacing, that I wouldn't need anywhere else. If you're travelling much then I can see its use, but if you don't you can live your life perfectly fine without ever touching a credit or debit card (that works on the internet, anyway).

I'd guess that's a huge difference between the US and Europe. From what I've gathered you can't even rent a car or hotel room in US with cash, you need to use a credit card or some form of "cash" that allowes the payer to be recognized. You really need a credit card for paying stuff in your daily life. But I really have no experience or hard knowledge how it works in practise, no idea how far it actually goes.

I got my credit card just for buying stuff from internets, may it be nkpro, ebay or amazon, or iracing. I don't need it in my daily life at all, never have, but in internets it is quite usable barrel of cash. Basically I have never paid anything in Finland with my credit card but everything I buy "internationally" is paid with it.
Quote from Hyperactive :I got my credit card just for buying stuff from internets, may it be nkpro, ebay or amazon, or iracing. I don't need it in my daily life at all, never have, but in internets it is quite usable barrel of cash. Basically I have never paid anything in Finland with my credit card but everything I buy "internationally" is paid with it.

On the otherhand, I don't use cash at all. I don't see it being very efficient to walk 2km for nearest cash machine and then all the way back to store which is next to my house

Besides, I just hate standing there on the counter counting those coins...
Quote from AndroidXP :In both cases, credit- or debit card, I would need to specifically go to my bank and request an extra card

AFAIK most banks around here issue debit cards for use with the ATM machines instead of separate ATM-specific cards. You can then lock-out the debit functions from an ATM or via a web interface if you don't want them or set a limit to the amount available to online transactions. But anyhow - life is indeed quite possible without credit cards and in several, rather unique and quite remote, places you can still even get away without using money as well.
if i download this and pay the minimum subscription, what happens at the end of the month, does the sim allow offline hotlapping?
No, once the subscription ends, you might as well not have iRacing installed anymore. I'm pretty sure your stats are saved for the case you re-subscribe at some point, but you don't have any access to iRacing at all after you stop paying.
strewth, thats a bit harsh
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG