The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from George Kuyumji :That was a nice read spanks, how was your first Race on an Oval?

I just started a couple days ago and have been focusing on the solstice around laguna. I was gone all day today, and will be gone tonight (4th of July for us Americans...gonna go blow shit up )

I tried the legend car around the south boston speedway, and put out a couple low 18's, but I fear that I don't quite have the technique down to keep up with the fast guys. I'm quite looking forward to racing on the oval as I've never done anything like that online before. Short ovals are completely different than the super speedway that we have on lfs.

I did read the driver's briefing btw, and thank you for explaining F3! I couldn't tell wtf any of that meant during the race, but had a much better understanding by the end. Its a pretty nice system.

I tried the legend car using the default road setup around laguna. (you have to click load and select road as the baseline) That thing is a monster on the road course! It was a blast to drive. If you're feeling let down by the slower pace of the solstice, hop in the legend car and give it a spin...I guarantee it'll wake you up.
Hmmm, I've got a question.

Under my career it now says I am in division 1 of the solstice summer c series, uhhh does this mean that I'm in the same boat as the top 25 racers for my second race? a bit too soon if that's the case

The whole series system is a bit confusing still...
Quote from Jertje :Hmmm, I've got a question.

Under my career it now says I am in division 1 of the solstice summer c series, uhhh does this mean that I'm in the same boat as the top 25 racers for my second race? a bit too soon if that's the case

The whole series system is a bit confusing still...

Solstice Summer season 12 weeks long and it's split into three 4 week series called A, B and C.
Quote from Crommi :Solstice Summer season 12 weeks long and it's split into three 4 week series called A, B and C.

Sweet, that clears some things up

However, do the A, B and C series have their own separate results? or does it all add up to season 12 in the end? Cuz as far as I know this week is the start of series C? So am I 'competing' now, or do I have to wait for the next season to start, and then compete for 12 weeks straight?

Ahhhh! qualifying time, I almost forgot
Zzzz... 2nd race and I start in 3rd position, get overtaken on the short straight after T2, and the guy tried aggressively taking the line when he was barely 75% past me, so we both end up spinning out, resetting and ending in 7th and 8th with second and third fastest race-pace. Some people just have no spatial awareness or what?
By the way, forget your Solstices and get into Advanced Legends.
It's just an awesome car and I hope there's going to be road series for it in the near future. Although I wouldn't mind having more power under the hood
Apparently I have to drill some sense into some of the thick skulls over at iRacing, since everytime I say anything like "it needs yellow flags, it needs parts falling off cars, it needs more variety of cars" I get all the fanboys goin "oh this is great, it will be done eventually blahblahblah".
Jeez - it needs to be done NOW or else it will just be LFS-like with a few little improvements, and a FRIGGN HUGE EXPENSE.
Quote from Stigpt :Apparently I have to drill some sense into some of the thick skulls over at iRacing, since everytime I say anything like "it needs yellow flags, it needs parts falling off cars, it needs more variety of cars" I get all the fanboys goin "oh this is great, it will be done eventually blahblahblah".
Jeez - it needs to be done NOW or else it will just be LFS-like with a few little improvements, and a FRIGGN HUGE EXPENSE.

I totally agree, Iracing is missing vital parts, the list to be honest is pretty long (Engine damage, bake lights, Pit repair, Blue/Yellow/Green flags, another car such as a WTCC style car, etc etc)

I enjoy the game, especially the oval racing (puts on flame suit and grab fire extinguisher:schwitz but at this moment in time, I don't know if I want to renew my subscription.
the game is GREAT - but woefully lacking in some departments atm.
Lime rock with the solstice is insanely good fun - drift around every corner

After the one month, Im gonna spend as if Im buyng a new game: 50 euros, no more. Ill see where that takes me.
Did my first laps around lime rock park today. This week they're doing the full combination.

Its a pretty fun track, but real easy to screw up. I think it plays to mine, and the car's strength...which is floating through the corners at full throttle and minimal traction Its real neat when you hit the turn "the uphill" just right and rocket up the hill in 4th gear hoping you don't hang a tire in the grass. My worst turn is definitely the west bend...its quite difficult.

Anyways, I hop on the track kinda expecting that I'm going to have to slide the car everywhere from what I've read, but haven't seen any videos. Its the same old frustrating experience for me again...too stubborn to slow down...getting really good at the pit out and turn 1 :P

I get pretty consistent in the 1:05s and go online to see where I'm at. There weren't really any times for the track yet since the series just started (I'm assuming they used the chicane 2 weeks ago).

I run qualifying and put a really really clean lap together and get a 1:04.30 (i practiced a bit more before qualifying and got down to like 1:04.50). This puts me in first...in front of second who had a 1:05 something, and no one else qualified...I already had a pretty bad feeling.

This was only my second race, and coming off the high of an experience I had around laguna...I could already tell this one was a train wreck waiting to happen.

We started with a field of 10 cars, ended with 7...and only 3 on the lead lap. By the 3rd lap I think 7 people had reset and left the pits. I got a good jump and slid my way to a hefty lead at the beginning. Second place didn't feel like pushing it as hard on cold tires...but I guess my track learning exercise teaches you the first few on cold hides

Coming down the main straight, I see a reset car leaving the pits. I get past him, and he falls in front of 2nd place...my lead gets longer.

The race came down to me driving around for 20 something laps by myself with second place finishing 45 seconds back, and 3rd even more than that.
I cruised for all of the race fearing that if I pushed it I'd be into the wall with a broken car. I already put it off in turn 1 on the second lap, did not want to get any more safety rating docks, or lose my position.

It was nice to pick up a win, but would have been real exciting to push it with at least another car to drive with.
Love reading your race reports spanks . Maybe some day ill be there beside you xD I can assure you I won't leave you alone. :P

I got a Laguna Seca mod for rFactor to at least know the track when I hop in iRacing :P It's a cool track. The downhill chicane is fun

Waiting patiently still. So far tested rFactor, GTR2 and netkar pro. Don't see what else I could apart from iRacing really.
Why does everyone keep saying the sim doesn't have functioning brake lights?
Quote from Jertje :Why does everyone keep saying the sim doesn't have functioning brake lights?

I see them in my own car in the replay, but can't really tell when others are braking live.
Quote from Jertje :Why does everyone keep saying the sim doesn't have functioning brake lights?

Because it does'nt

Following the other cars in the road racing car, you don't see you're opponents brake lights under braking.
Solstice and Radical are actually only cars that are missing them, so I guess they just forgot it
Quote from Crommi :Solstice and Radical are actually only cars that are missing them, so I guess they just forgot it

Quite a BIG oversight, no?
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Because it does'nt

Following the other cars in the road racing car, you don't see you're opponents brake lights under braking.

Game-breaking. I'll just go ahead and miss out on the best sim since LFS until they fix that because I keep slamming into other drivers since I don't see their brake-lights come on

Honestly... I hadn't noticed, and since they work fine on my car in replays, there must be an easy fix somewhere.
hah spanks I might have been in that race. What a disaster for me. I thought they were still running Laguna and I was completely unprepared for lime rock. In the warmup laps I was 3 seconds off of my pace last week.... In the race I spun 3 or 4 times!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W6kPvNbXmTE

its not like brake lights keep you from running into people

If you react to their brake lights alone, the lag of them coming on will still cause you to run into them anyways

Also, as soon as you get out of the solstice, the other cars don't even have brake lights..so its clearly not game breaking (not pointed at you jerte, I saw the sarcasm :] some people on the iracing forums are outraged about it though)

what I'm missing are split times...am I just not seeing them or are there really not any splits?
Eee-gad! I just gained 0.5 SR on a time trial session
I went from 2.86 to 3.44 after completing 26 laps with 3 incidents at lime rock

Maybe I should drink a glass of alcohol more often before time trialing :|

I still find it very tough to find time after 1.04.50 though, I don't know how the faster guys can get low 1.03's or better
iRacing is indeed very much unfinished in quite a few areas.

The ones already mentioned are mostly features which will be added sooner or later, I guess, but there are also blatantly obvious bugs. For example, you can just drive through the orange poles that mark the pit lane exit on LS. And you don't get incident points for that. I haven't tried it in an official session, but somebody said it's the same there. Not that it seriously affects gameplay if everybody is well behaved, but you could just join the track wherever you feel like it. Pretty huge oversight if you ask me.
Quote from Jertje :Eee-gad! I just gained 0.5 SR on a time trial session
I went from 2.86 to 3.44 after completing 26 laps with 3 incidents at lime rock

That's because you always jump to 3.44 as soon as you get above 3.0. It's that way on purpose to keep you from jumping back and forth between license levels.
Quote from Technique :hah spanks I might have been in that race. What a disaster for me. I thought they were still running Laguna and I was completely unprepared for lime rock. In the warmup laps I was 3 seconds off of my pace last week.... In the race I spun 3 or 4 times!

Same, didn't realise that and so I had no qualify time for it. Started somewhere from the middle but was already second after T1 and eventually won the race. Had a nice battle for the first place while rest of the field was ~20sec behind
Quote from Linsen :That's because you always jump to 3.44 as soon as you get above 3.0. It's that way on purpose to keep you from jumping back and forth between license levels.

Oh, well no big deal then
Just noticed that qualify times for Adv. Solstice suck balls. They are scheduled 10 minutes after race start, so you have to skip race if you want to run 4 qualify laps. On the otherhand Adv. Legends qualify sessions are 10mins after the race so you can finish the race, grab a cup of coffee and go get some hotlaps done while waiting for road race session.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG