The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from DEVIL 007 :I am not that stupid but as I said for some beginners it might be pretty confusing...

Yes. When I first entered the member site, I was like WTF and I couldn't find anything there. But I got quite used to it after several days and now it's OK.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I can live with it. I won't go mad because I can't play for a few hours, to be honest.

Yeh, but 4 hours maintenance windows is quite big and I just purchased and cant even test it. I seem to loose logic behind it...to be able to practise offline I need to be able to go first online.
There are no such long maintenances in the middle of the season. It's the beginning of a new season, promotions are being sorted. You joined at the wrong time.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Yeh, but 4 hours maintenance windows is quite big and I just purchased and cant even test it. I seem to loose logic behind it...to be able to practise offline I need to be able to go first online.

I do see your point about that, and I totally agree...

However it makes no sense for a subscription based service to be able to run without an internet connection; or in this case a connection to an authentication server.

Whether we should be able to even test the sim offline completely is a whole other debate, but there's no way for the local client to know who you are and what content you've licensed unless it can connect to the server... so there was no drunken decision (lol!), but rather it's a fundamental principle of being subscription based.

In any event, most of us on this side of the pond are at work and couldn't care less about maintenance right now anyway

Now you see how I used to feel looking for LFS races back in the day since it was the middle of the night over there when it was just after dinner here
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :However it makes no sense for a subscription based service to be able to run without an internet connection; or in this case a connection to an authentication server.

The issue I have is that I really see no reason why they couldn't run a secondary authentication server that was up during maintenance periods to let people use test mode. I don't really care that much, but it seems like such a simple solution to the problem.
It makes sense for subscription service but it sucks to be honest. I am giving this as CONS for iRacing.

When they do maintenace of course...I dont have a problem with that but why not tu run second back authorization server just for that.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Yeh, but 4 hours maintenance windows is quite big and I just purchased and cant even test it. I seem to loose logic behind it...to be able to practise offline I need to be able to go first online.

I agree, this is total BS. Two huge thumbs down for Iracing over this.

Just like you I want to practice off-line, but can't.

Please send an email to iracing's support to let them know what you think. :thumbsdow
Well that's a good point, maybe they will do that in the future. They are pretty good at listening to the community - head the forums and make a thread
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Well that's a good point, maybe they will do that in the future. They are pretty good at listening to the community - head the forums and make a thread

Forums are down as well...
Quote from DEVIL 007 :
I just did quick few laps as test drive with Mazda MX5 on Zaandvort racing track and have a bit mixed feeling. In case I start loosing grip it seems there is a huge gap untill you can feel it. Also the weight of the car seems very hard to feel as well. This is much better simulated in LFS. Maybe I just need to get used to it. These are really quick obeservations.

Yeah, that is the downside to the handling in iRacing. There seems to be less information in the force feedback than LFS or NKP, with regard to vehicle behavior, catching slides, weight shift etc. You do get used to it. The tire sounds will tell you a lot.

There is some hope that the upcoming tire updates will help, but it will be at least another 3 months before we get any updates and it will probably only be select cars at first.
I dont think its really the force feedback. Somehow before the grip get lost I felt like in S1 but after it get to the point when the car actually start loosing grip it feels more realsistic then LFS. The jump is big in my view...I would describe it as a gap. I just tried 1 car and 1 track. Needs to try it more...if I could now .

Anyway. I will raise a thread in the ofrum about offline part because it creates limitations to me customer experience.
Aaaand we're back to green flag racing, sports fans!
Quote from zapz :Forums are down as well...

Well I realize that, but they're back up now

Quote from DEVIL 007 : The jump is big in my wife...I would describe it as a gap.

What's this? lol, you genuinely lost me there
Watched the 24hrs of Daytona. Now, besides the urge to drive the DP, I also want a RX-8 for iRacing.

Wankel engine. Awesome. I don't care if you say it's a tuned hairdryer, I've had enough of boring Porsches anyway.
Yeah, a proper GT class (not GT1) is what I've been wanting for a while.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Quote:Originally Posted by DEVIL 007
The jump is big in my wife...I would describe it as a gap.

What's this? lol, you genuinely lost me there

Well that`s because I was speaking with my friend on the skype and at the same time I was typing. Something else was goin in my mind....but I had to laugh myself now really hard reading it
I remember when I walked away from the forum after my last post here I was thinking. "oh god, he's gonna join and see virtually no races happening and then the season swap will take place and he'll have no luck playing for an hour or so." Sorry should have warned you that today was probably the worse time to join up. Not the best introduction.

The whole "forced to be online" yada yada made me feel forced into a corner and I resented that. After a week you'll get over that haha. Right now that there's many series running now that week one is off to a start. The web interface is overwhelming at first. Just give it a few days.
By the way, I have a question. In LFS, my steering wheel input lag is OK unless I set VSync to on but in iRacing, it seems to have quite an annoying lag all the time, no matter if I set VSync to on or off. Anyone knows where's the problem?
never noticed any input lag myself
I did not have any either when I tried yesterday first time or at least I did not notice it.

Well I still dont like the idea with the pernament internet connection for being able practise offline. There might be a lot of reason behind it but yesterday was really not best introduction. It seems they have a lot of things to improve. Back up servers are definately one of them.

Let my try today more time. I need to get first used it and then go doing anything online. Definately this is for me more interesting then the boring LFS atm. I really dont know what devs are waiting for. LFS does not rely only on physics and someone should realise it...

The interface in iRacing is overhelimg as was said and I can find a lot of webservices which are much more innative from start.
Quote from Flame CZE :By the way, I have a question. In LFS, my steering wheel input lag is OK unless I set VSync to on but in iRacing, it seems to have quite an annoying lag all the time, no matter if I set VSync to on or off. Anyone knows where's the problem?

Try going into your graphics card control panel and reducing your pre-rendered frames from 3 to 0.
I cannot find that in my ATi Catalyst CP, I know it was in nVidia CP but it seems to not be there.
Download ATI Tray tools. You can change a lot there....very handy tool.

Another thing which I am not happy of is that I cant use even the latest version of Opera. iRaicing showing that the browser support all features they require but I have issue then still.
Opera one of the most know browser software and not supported...wake up iRacing please.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG