The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
This is just standard marketing stuff, tbh. The iR marketing dept has to build the sim's credibility up, and the bwahs are obviously calling up their old sim racing buddies for endorsements. It's normal.
While Healthcare may be cheap in the US thanks to employers, it is still, at it's heart, a business.

"Ambulance Chasers" are not good. End of.
Quote from SamH :This is just standard marketing stuff, tbh. The iR marketing dept has to build the sim's credibility up, and the bwahs are obviously calling up their old sim racing buddies for endorsements. It's normal.

Does this mean they are lying and that the sim wasn't used in the way they claim?
Quote from dontsimon :Does this mean they are lying and that the sim wasn't used in the way they claim?

The chance of there not being some exaggeration, deliberate limitation of some of the facts and quotes from people who were being deliberately nice rather than truly objective in that news story is highly unlikely.

If you've ever reported on events that can't be cross examined when you've got something to gain from it then you'll know that skewing the facts and creating a getting a reader to perceive what you want them to without being factually inaccurate lets you write pretty much whatever bullshit you want, trust me I've done it

I think SimBin's effort with quotes/'development with' a real FIA GT driver marketing when they didn't get round to mentioning the fact the driver also happened to be the CEO (or some other senior position) of SimBin
Quote from dontsimon :Does this mean they are lying and that the sim wasn't used in the way they claim?

Of course not. But we all knew it could be used in this way. So what? It's hardly news that a team wanted to use the sim to learn a track properly, we knew this would be the case since laser scanned tracks were announced.

That story is still a bit of extra hype though, nothing more. Probably completely truthful hype, but hype none the less.

I don't think anyone is in any doubt it's the most accurate sim yet made when it comes to tracks and physics. (both of which are excellent)

Now if only they used that engine in a far less restrictive, more conventional product it would be on every single sim racing fans shopping list, of that i have no doubt.

Those who wanted to pay extra to drive it in Firsts series (or should i say take advantage of their "service") could do so and feel all warm and special for being fleeced to drive in a league, and the rest of the sim racing community could enjoy the simulation in their own way, making the Devs a fortune in the process. A win win situation i would have thought.

Why do you assume that's what I mean?

Are you implying that it's NOT standard marketing practice to report on, and make as much as possible of these things? Rubbish! Of COURSE it's standard practice. It's what they're PAID for! :rolleyes:
Quote from The Moose :Of course not. But we all knew it could be used in this way. So what? It's hardly news that a team wanted to use the sim to learn a track properly, we knew this would be the case since laser scanned tracks were announced.

That story is still a bit of extra hype though, nothing more. Probably completely truthful hype, but hype none the less.

I think it should also be pointed out that if a team genuinely believed it could get a significant advantage it would take lengths to ensure that its usage of the product was kept quiet and not plastered all over the internet for rivals to see. This is simple two way mutual publicity/bullshitting nothing more.
Quote from SamH :Why do you assume that's what I mean?

That was the impression I got yeah. Sorry

I have no bias either way, but if real teams are using the sim to help with familiarity of tracks, then the endorsement which subsequently follows seems fair enough. It depends how cynical you wish to be about it I suppose.
Quote from dontsimon :That was the impression I got yeah. Sorry

I have no bias either way, but if real teams are using the sim to help with familiarity of tracks, then the endorsement which subsequently follows seems fair enough. It depends how cynical you wish to be about it I suppose.

I could whip up a story about how a race proven class winning single seater team has been using LFS for driver training and car setup purposes (and so could other forum members) without actually being factually incorrect at all. Likewise I could pull a few strings use a couple of connections I know and I'm fairly certain I could manage to get a story about how a large GT team is using LFS for *insert use here* and get a couple of fabricated quotes without actually lying or posting anything that would make said news story unbelievable to a gullible member of the public who stumbles across it.
Quote from ajp71 :I could whip up a story about how a race proven class winning single seater team has been using LFS for driver training and car setup purposes (and so could other forum members) without actually being factually incorrect at all. (...)

Yeah, but at least we would all know that Tristan is a fanboy and would take his hymns of praise with a pinch of salt.
I wanted to buy burger from Burger King, but I didn't have an opportunity to practice it so I bought burger from Burger King in Live for Speed. It was just like the real thing, but less filling, and when I went to buy burger from Burger King later that day everybody agreed I was a total pro at it.

Thanks, LFS.
u could of thinked of mcdonelds insted
Quote from thisnameistaken :I wanted to buy burger from Burger King , but I didn't have an opportunity to practice it so I bought burger from Burger King in Live for Speed. It was just like the real thing, but less filling, and when I went to buy burger from Burger King later that day everybody agreed I was a total pro at it.

Thanks, LFS.

Yet another Giga Cruise success story. Thanks Kev.
Suddenly I could go for a burger.

But where shall I go to get it?

Quote from xaotik :Yet another Giga Cruise success story. Thanks Kev.

even though this does not in any way devalue your usual humourous brilliance it was much more fun when i had to figure kevs obscure reference out myself
iRacing just lost the its iLaser USP. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference at all, presumably the costs can't have been that great if it is being released for free.
The costs weren't that great because the guy himself went to the track and scanned it in his own time.
Quote from ajp71 :iRacing just lost the its iLaser USP. Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference at all, presumably the costs can't have been that great if it is being released for free.

Nice to see =) It doesn't say to what detail they are going down to though for the scanning, I think thats where the huge cost will come in, if there is any, which I doubt.
Quote from danowat :The costs weren't that great because the guy himself went to the track and scanned it in his own time.

which means the hardware is within reach of an average blokes income and if the track owners allow it anyone could do it (eg eric)
Looks great- really exciting to see laser scanning starting to mainstream, and as Shot says above, fall more within the reach of the average developer/track builder. If Eric doesn't know about this yet, someone should tell him
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG