The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from A.Ulleri :Thanks you for your thoughts. But I take them with a grain of salt as you have barly scratched the surface. Comeback at the end of your month.

I think first impressions are valid.
Quote from Linsen :While this is a fair point, it's also something you knew in advance, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise. I'm not satisfied with the pricing scheme, either, but overall iRacing is really worth it for me. It doesn't hurt me really, but I can see how it might be hard for others to shell out that much money for what is essentially still a computer game, and a rather unfinished one at that.

I concur. You should know what it is that you're spending on. I'm assuming that the site does not mislead (I haven't got as far as subscribing, and seeing the available options) and that it's clear which content you're buying into.. then content is not something you can complain about. If it was enough to get you to make the $20 transaction then you've effectively indicated that it's $20-worth of content by making the transaction.
Meh my first iRacing race using the Nixim G25 break mod and i've managed to pull my wheel from the bloody table during hard breaking.......not bloody easy to drive with your wheel in mid air
Been playing GTR Evo against the AI as a bit of light relief from iRacing, nice feeling to be able to batter your competitors, run of the track and not be punished Yes iRacing has made me a proud AI wrecker.
Quote from AlienT. :Meh my first iRacing race using the Nixim G25 break mod and i've managed to pull my wheel from the bloody table during hard breaking.......not bloody easy to drive with your wheel in mid air
Been playing GTR Evo against the AI as a bit of light relief from iRacing, nice feeling to be able to batter your competitors, run of the track and not be punished Yes iRacing has made me a proud AI wrecker.

Get a piece of nonslip matting(looks like very small netting) to put between the wheel and the table. You know, the sort of stuff you put under carpets on a laminated or wood floor. You'll never pull your wheel off the table again!
Quote from Mattesa :If they do include Mosport with all the configurations, most importantly the Driver Development Track, then I will subscribe because I'll actually be able to use the software for what it is supposedly intended: driver training.

So if they include Mosport and the DDT, I'll be able to do two big big big things:
1) I can learn the track for the track days there.
2)*** Having learned the track, judge how realistic iRacing is.

***This is the one that really matters. I'll gladly pay for the chance the compare the sim to reality first hand. Pay for the chance to praise it, or rip it to utter shreds.

I feel the same way about Road Atlanta (except that I'm already subscribed). Truth be told, I haven't heard many first hand accounts of track realism yet.

Quote from SamH :I think first impressions are valid.

I agree, but in this case there is quite a bit of depth under the surface. If the tracks and FFB don't sell you initially, iRacing is a hard sell. Having driven a Legends car before, the first time the G25 pulled the wheel from my hands going over a bump I was sold, it was that real. While some people are bound to agree with the OP, my friend put it best, "If you enjoy LFS and want to keep it that way, do Not buy a month trial of iRacing." Simply put, the FFB and Tracks offer something different to LFS. Some may not like it, but to some it is just what they've been waiting/hoping for.

Quote from SamH :I concur. You should know what it is that you're spending on. I'm assuming that the site does not mislead (I haven't got as far as subscribing, and seeing the available options) and that it's clear which content you're buying into.. then content is not something you can complain about. If it was enough to get you to make the $20 transaction then you've effectively indicated that it's $20-worth of content by making the transaction.

My main iRacing complaint at this time. You cannot try a car before you buy it. I was looking forward to the skippy, so I bought it. Had I driven it a few times, I probably would have held out for the Formula Mazda, Radical, Late Model, or the forthcoming Spec Racer. (Edit -> Due to the fact I bought a year subscription, I actually didn't "buy" it. I got the Skippy, Formula Mazda, Infineon Raceway, and VIR all included)

Quote from Doorman :Get a piece of nonslip matting(looks like very small netting) to put between the wheel and the table. You know, the sort of stuff you put under carpets on a laminated or wood floor. You'll never pull your wheel off the table again!

QFT, this is a race-saver. I use rubber cabinet liner.
same thing used to happen to me till i put a rougher surface between the wheel and the desk, the only thinbg that worries me now is that if previously i was pulling wheel off desk, now i'm putting all that load onto the wheel's internals, at least previously the desk / wheel slip provided a safty valve when i got too excited, the more i think about it the more i think i'll go back to it slipping and learn not to put so much effort into my arms.
I also put quite a lot of strength into my arms during a tense race (which is only bad, I presume) but instead of pulling I push quite hard, and squeeze the crap out of the wheel

I don't even have to put the clamps on all that tight.
Safety rating is really starting to piss me off

I raced in the skippy today, started 5th finished 4th. Great, right?

Well, I gained all of .03 SR. I had 2 offs, 1 spin because I hung a tire on exit...the open diff really loves that, and then a contact x4 because someone ran into me.

If my sr isn't above 3.0 at the end of the season will I get demoted or something? The highest I've been is like 2.5 something, at 2.44 right now...

I guess I'll just stop spending money on the sim since I won't ever be able to race anything faster than the skippy.

I'm just getting tired of it...I'm a clean, quicker than average driver and I'm going to be left behind because I either don't race enough, and when I do its not "good" enough
You'll get demoted if SR is under 2.0 but promotion requires +3.0 SR. Last time only one person got demoted, so I don't think it's too hard to avoid it.
I think you'll appreciate it at some point, as the system teaches you to reach your limit in a linear fashion, instead of overdriving like crazy and then downtuning your driving to stabilise your times and consistency.

Being 'punished' for offs and spins doesn't mean it will impede your ability to drive fast, as most people assume. It just means that you should drive as fast as you're comfortable with - I learnt that the hard way in a lot of my earlier races at LRP.

Try focussing on getting 0 incidents in a race, have it be your absolute priority, but don't think about it as much that it starts slowing you down by 5-6 seconds. Let go drivers behind you if you can't drive away from them at a comfortable pace, and don't chase people that are making you push beyond what you're capable of at the time.
Just run your laps, focus on your marks and before you know it your confidence will rise, your rythem will come and you will be able to push the car more without endangering your objective of getting 0 incidents.

You'd be surprised how much more consistent and fast you will be that race. It should also come as no surprise that the fastest guy in iRacing (Greger Huttu) is also the most consistent by far, with far less than 1 incident per race. Higher speeds don't automatically create more incidents
As frustrating as the SR can be at times, it really does (finally) have an impact on how people treat the "game".

The SR puts a realism on it, you can be the fastest one out there, but if you destroy cars with Any regularity you really won't succeed.
Quote from spanks :Safety rating is really starting to piss me off

I raced in the skippy today, started 5th finished 4th. Great, right?

Well, I gained all of .03 SR. I had 2 offs, 1 spin because I hung a tire on exit...the open diff really loves that, and then a contact x4 because someone ran into me.

If my sr isn't above 3.0 at the end of the season will I get demoted or something? The highest I've been is like 2.5 something, at 2.44 right now...

I guess I'll just stop spending money on the sim since I won't ever be able to race anything faster than the skippy.

I'm just getting tired of it...I'm a clean, quicker than average driver and I'm going to be left behind because I either don't race enough, and when I do its not "good" enough

you just need to do a few races clean, thats all. Quite a few people go out in warmup and make mistakes. Those incident points count too though they are not shown. The same goes for after the race ends. Try doing a few Time Trials too and go slower and clean. Once you get to about 3.65 - 3.7, the next race or two is key as you'll jump to 4+ easily with clean races
All about consistancy, Class C license has been quite tough due to a couple races full of mishaps at the beginning of the season, now I have been trying to rally back just so I can upgrade to B .

The higher your license goes the harder it is to progress. A bad race as D and you go down .1, but one as C and you go down .2. Which might not so like much to you now, but when you then realize its twice as hard to improve it, you also realize how important staying in a straight line on track is.
Quote from Jertje :I think you'll appreciate it at some point, as the system teaches you to reach your limit in a linear fashion, instead of overdriving like crazy and then downtuning your driving to stabilise your times and consistency.

Being 'punished' for offs and spins doesn't mean it will impede your ability to drive fast, as most people assume. It just means that you should drive as fast as you're comfortable with - I learnt that the hard way in a lot of my earlier races at LRP.

Try focussing on getting 0 incidents in a race, have it be your absolute priority, but don't think about it as much that it starts slowing you down by 5-6 seconds. Let go drivers behind you if you can't drive away from them at a comfortable pace, and don't chase people that are making you push beyond what you're capable of at the time.
Just run your laps, focus on your marks and before you know it your confidence will rise, your rythem will come and you will be able to push the car more without endangering your objective of getting 0 incidents.

You'd be surprised how much more consistent and fast you will be that race. It should also come as no surprise that the fastest guy in iRacing (Greger Huttu) is also the most consistent by far, with far less than 1 incident per race. Higher speeds don't automatically create more incidents

+1,i m much more consistent and of course safer-cleaner than LFS just because i dont overdrive or try anything out of my reach!I was frustrated to be stuck in 3.2 and after some clean races i managed a 4.45 which is decent.The most important thing though is the consistency in my laptimes!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHhhh

another horrid race

started 12th..finished 2nd

just horrid

10 incident points :mad:

I jumped into a race so I could be in the back and just cruise...

I jumped into a good field, pole was around my PB, 1:00.9. I had run a 1:01.low before in practice, figured I'd just run mid pack.

Turns out everyone decided to drive slow and unpredictably. Started out with getting brake checked on the 2nd lap going into the chicane...that really helped me out. I guess it didn't do any damage to my car, bent their rear wing a bit...

Probably didn't really do much damage, but they still pulled over and reset, then quit a couple laps later.

After that, I was quite frustrated to say the least...I then proceeded to have six...count them, six...off tracks. 4 of them I'll blame on myself cutting too much of that damn chicane on entry. The other 2 were due to me ALMOST CRASHING because of people slowing down mid corner.

The last 6 laps of the race I was fighting for position against 3 lapped cars. One of them finally gave way, but the other 2 I had to pass aggressively...While following them, being sure to keep about a 3 tenth buffer, I almost crashed a countless number of times.

I was so sideways the middle of the downhill with 3 laps to go I thought I was headed for the wall for sure. Its possibly the most sideways I've ever been in the car. I guess thats what happens when you lift and stab the brakes at 100 mph while turning through an already treacherous turn.

I'm at a loss. I get in the higher qualified fields, and they're too fast for me. I get in the fields where they run the same times I do, and they drive .5-1 second off what they qualify. I was in 2nd by lap 19 I'm not bashing anyone (except for the uncooperative lapped traffic) but I'm having trouble finding my place...I guess I need to get a bit more consistent and race with the big dogs.

Oh btw, what do I get for running the fast lap, and being the hard charger for the session? Another minuscule .03 SR...YESSSSSSS
Try focussing more on building consistency rather than faster laptimes. Driving a 1.00.9 in a race is already faster than your iRating would suggest, but it's useless unless you can drive good average laps as well (without offs ;p)

Just go for a TT session, and set your goal to be 3-4 tenths higher than your pb. Which means that if you can drive a 1.00.9, go for a 1.01.3 as your TT-time. You'll have to keep it up for 8 laps, so being aggressive won't help unless you rely on chance :>
This usually works well for me, and so far this week my pb is 1.00.6, and my time trial is 1.00.9. Last week my pb was 1.48.7, time trial 1.48.98 etc.

I always set my goal for consistency at a 3 tenth deviation from my pb, which means that I should be able to (with a bit of focus) drive within 3 tenths of my pb at any time, during a race or practice or whatever. Try putting a limiter on yourself, and be very aware of your margins for error. With a lot of practice your error-margin will become smaller and smaller (or is it larger and larger?) and you will be able to take more risks without the added chance of crashing, up until the point where you can at some point drive right on the limit without feeling uncomfortable. If you can drive fast laps, but are unable to stay on the track whilst doing so, then you might just have to shift your attention for a while: faster is better, but consistently fast is better still
Quote from Quint999 :Some nice new cars for the oval racers

http://www.iracing.com/newsEvents/article.php?id=82

I just wish there was another tip top for the track racers, ala touring car etc , am sure it will come, but i guess the service really needs more players to carry all these different classes

The main reason I'm not really drivnig in iracing at all is the lack of good road cars. The Radical is bit too much an open wheeler alike with too much grip (I want road tires ), the skippie is just plain awful and the solstice needs a 2nd engine. The tracks are great though. Having a real powerful tin top with road rubber would be just great. Looks like a long wait though
Quote from Hyperactive :The main reason I'm not really drivnig in iracing at all is the lack of good road cars. The Radical is bit too much an open wheeler alike with too much grip (I want road tires ), the skippie is just plain awful and the solstice needs a 2nd engine. The tracks are great though. Having a real powerful tin top with road rubber would be just great. Looks like a long wait though

totally agree with you. It's very much geared to the American market! There is the new road car in development though.....
I'm more into road racing, so I'd like to see some gt or touring cars. Sofar, Maybe they'll let us race the stock cars on road courses at least...
Quote from Gabkicks :I'm more into road racing, so I'd like to see some gt or touring cars. Sofar, Maybe they'll let us race the stock cars on road courses at least...

Those cars aren't made to do anything but turn left. They aren't like nascar cars, the chassis and suspension is offset and stuff.
-
(RMachucaA) DELETED by RMachucaA
Quote from Quint999 :Thats promising i guess, any idea what it is ?

www.iracing.com

There are few cars we know of:
- spec racer ford
- Lotus 79
- Riley MK XX Daytona Prototype
- sprint car
- Chevy Silverado
- Chevy Impala SS (nascar?)
well yes... it currently is very american but the point where its _too_ american is when the driver model has a belly... bits of cheese on the visor and sits in an suv or pickup on an oval
Considering ~50% of playerbase is from US and that's where dev team is located, it should be obvious that there will be some US bias. On ovals it's definately not going to change, good luck finding a major oval serie that's not located in north america.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG