The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
So, my ISP (Be Unlimited) are having some major problems, and I now cannot access members.iracing.com, and on the odd occasion it connects it times out constantly. Every other website is perfect, and Be just keep fobbing people off blaming a 3rd party company. ****ing waste of time.
Quote from The Moose :I've got a new members promo code as well if anyone wants it. PM please.

Same, if you would like 3 months of iRacing for just $10 let me know, runs out 15th May.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Forgot how twitchy my gamepads are on this. It would be fine if I could set a small deadzone, but the best I can do is fiddle the steering setup so it thinks I have more rotation, that way it's not so twitchy.

What steering lock etc do you have set in game? I have mine at 180 / 540 at speed.

Quote from Gabkicks :are you still competitive w/ the top guys using a gamepad? what are your laptimes like compared to records set ? I imagine its not too bad w/ the lower powered cars, but what about the more powerful ones?

Somehow managed to get up to 3000+ iRating (i.e. amongst the top 1000 drivers). Just looked at the best race times this season in the Star Mazda, Skip Barber, Jetta and V8 Supercar series that I do - I'm always in the top 10% of times, and into the top 5% a lot of the time as well.

With gamepads though you can be fast, but the difficulty is being consistent and lasting, especially in the 45 min Class C races. There is the tendancy to fail quite a bit more than you would with a wheel tbh, but meh.

There's some onboards at Zandvoort here and here

Quote from The Moose :I want to see a replay of someone driving the Lotus with a gamepad...

I'll err ask Gav about getting a shot of it

Quote from Seb66 :ask boothy . I know he drives the V8 pretty well with the gamepad

It's not easy though Can catch slides easier than a wheel but it's quite hard to get the braking/throttle application right, though at least I have enough experience from LFS and other cars to cope ok.
iRacing 2.0 coming!

Quote :Highlights of iRacing 2.0

May 2011

Early preview of Dave Kaemmer’s new tire model available on the new NASCAR Nationwide car.

Launch of in-game awards program – over 50 different participation awards members can earn.

Night racing on road courses using headlights beginning with Sebring International Raceway and the V8 Supercar, Mazda MX5 Cup &
Roadster, Corvette C6.R, Riley Daytona Prototype, Pontiac Solstice, VW Jetta TDI Cup and Mustang Challenge race cars.

New NASCAR “Nationwide” stock car – race the car you watch on Saturdays.

Okayama International Circuit (Japan) – the first of several tracks from the island nation.

New telemetry output for the data hungry racers.

Private league racing enhancements including: reduced pricing, advanced scheduling, new race session options and additional grid
spots to virtually every track.

Graphic and shader upgrades in-game for more lifelike visuals.

Complete graphical overhaul of the Skip Barber FSB2000 race car – updating our first car to current standards.

Opening practice sessions to all license levels (excluding Pro Series).

Enhanced pitting and damage repair for all cars.

Preferred/custom car numbers.

Improved accuracy of the modeled physical track surface to match the laser scanned data better than ever before.

August 2011

New Tire Model for all cars.

Enhanced aero model for improved drafting and more realistic downforce characteristics.

Heat/Tournament racing for private leagues/sessions.

Driver aids available for private leagues and Rookie series (ABS brakes, traction control, driving line, steering aids, etc.).

Enhancements of new sound system.

Endurance racing and driver swaps.

Suzuka Circuit (Japan).

Iowa Speedway (USA).

Ford GT race car

Honda LMP ARX-01C race car

Live pop-up chat on member site.

I can't decide whether I'm more excited about the NW with the tyre model or night racing! Hopefully we can flash headlights even during the day, that would be immense. Only one thing, anyone noticed the Radical is missing from the night racing?
That's a hell of a list between now and September!
laser scanned suzuka sounds really good... I want to see how good the new tire model is. I would like to see them give us more cars that are in the same class i remember hearing that DTM and Super GT were going to start using the same rules and regulations buuut I havent kept up with either series for a few years now.
Night racing! yes , waiting another 3 months for driver swaps not so good .
Night racing for road courses is something I'll mess around with a lot offline. Really hope they do Daytona next. I also can't wait for Suzuka, one of my favorite race tracks of all time.
I thought there'd also be a preview of the new tire model on one road car though? :sadbanana
According to the iRacing staff, for now its just the new Nationwide car, which will have road course tires if you really want to try it out. They said maybe during next season they might release it for one road car.
Quote from Jertje :I thought there'd also be a preview of the new tire model on one road car though? :sadbanana

The plan was to release them on the skippy. IDK if this is will be done (but not in the notes) or postponed.
Still waiting (patiently) for Oulton Park :rolleyes:
Quote from boothy :Still waiting (patiently) for Oulton Park :rolleyes:

Oh hell yeah, and zolder oh and oran park and the others which are more awesome than suzuka :O

(awaiting flamewar)
Tony Gardner has said there is no NTM on a road car, but the Nationwide should give us a great idea of what it's like. The Nationwide car is also running at Road America next season, which will be immense.
Quote :Video debut of iRacing's all new track Okayama International Circuit. Video also features the first clips of the Skip Barber Formula 2000 with upgraded graphics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vizaiO58fg
Woo! Just paid for my discounted 3-months

I had $2.50 credits on my account from somewhere too, so I got the 3 months for just over £4.50
Quote from UncleBenny :According to the iRacing staff, for now its just the new Nationwide car, which will have road course tires if you really want to try it out. They said maybe during next season they might release it for one road car.

Next season for one car? I thought that I read:

"August 2011

New Tire Model for all cars."

It's coming on the Nationwide COT next week, then the rest of the cars in August. I doubt they would release it mid-season, would screw up championships.
Quote from UncleBenny :According to the iRacing staff, for now its just the new Nationwide car

Thanks for that. As a Skip enthusiast I was tempted to take a look again. Now I can save my 'free' 3 months' access until the last possible moment (15th May), which will just take me into the next season when the new tyre model may apply to more vehicles.

I'm not sure why I'm so intrigued by a feature which will make me even slower than I was already though. :-)

Andrew McP
Quote from Andrew McP :I'm not sure why I'm so intrigued by a feature which will make me even slower than I was already though. :-)

hahaha!
Quote from boothy :Still waiting (patiently) for Oulton Park :rolleyes:

+1.
Hoping that Spa will be the 2nd night track.
I really hope Spa will be aswell, but most people have performance problems during the day, imagine at night

I reckon it will be Daytona, especially if the re-scan is finished in time.
After seeing the updates lists and future plans, I'm in the 25% club now.
Quote from Andrew McP :Thanks for that. As a Skip enthusiast I was tempted to take a look again. Now I can save my 'free' 3 months' access until the last possible moment (15th May), which will just take me into the next season when the new tyre model may apply to more vehicles.

I'm not sure why I'm so intrigued by a feature which will make me even slower than I was already though. :-)

Andrew McP

They have said that for the August build the plan is for the new tire model to be applied to ALL vehicles, so that should work out for you.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG