The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote :October 2, 2008 - Now Available: Milwaukee Mile
The oldest continuously operating speedway in the world is also home to the newest form of racing. The legendary Milwaukee Mile is the latest addition to iRacing's collection of tracks and is available now to members for $20.

Although the track has seen several renovations since it opened up in 1903, it has retained its characteristically low banking, something which has traditionally leant it to open-wheel racing series.

Today's IndyCar drivers navigate the circuit in just over 20 seconds, while NASCAR Nationwide series teams typically log qualifying laps in the 30-second range, the lack of banking playing a constant tug-of-war with the heavier cars as drivers battle to keep it off the wall.

Whether open-wheel or closed-wheel, Milwaukee's near-flat banking will offer plenty of challenge to any oval racer.

I thought there's already more than enough ovals
Quote from Crommi :I thought there's already more than enough ovals

There are a couple of good reasons why you'll probably see a lot more ovals and not so many road courses appearing. Ovals are, without doubt, far easier and quicker to laser scan. You can probably get a point cloud into the computer in a day, since you'd typically only need to set up 3 or 4 points to scan from, with the high grandstands around, and high track visibility from those points. Compare that with a road course, which with the best will in the world will probably require tens of scans to create a complete point cloud. Secondly, the principle point of interest for the iRacing staff is a) American tracks, and b) Nascar. It is fair enough, really. The Milwaukee Mile is a track with absolutely tons of history.. and Nascar creates a lot of history within itself (like baseball does). General interest in this track, in iRacing's primarily US market, will be high, and that's reason enough to deliver this track to iRacing as a priority over more complex tracks like Spa or Monza. It's perfectly reasonable, though perhaps a bit disappointing for Europeans in the short-term. Long-term, I reckon there will be more tracks that are relevent to non-US markets.
Quote from SamH :There are a couple of good reasons why you'll probably see a lot more ovals and not so many road courses appearing. Ovals are, without doubt, far easier and quicker to laser scan. You can probably get a point cloud into the computer in a day, since you'd typically only need to set up 3 or 4 points to scan from, with the high grandstands around, and high track visibility from those points. Compare that with a road course, which with the best will in the world will probably require tens of scans to create a complete point cloud. Secondly, the principle point of interest for the iRacing staff is a) American tracks, and b) Nascar. It is fair enough, really. The Milwaukee Mile is a track with absolutely tons of history.. and Nascar creates a lot of history within itself (like baseball does). General interest in this track, in iRacing's primarily US market, will be high, and that's reason enough to deliver this track to iRacing as a priority over more complex tracks like Spa or Monza. It's perfectly reasonable, though perhaps a bit disappointing for Europeans in the short-term. Long-term, I reckon there will be more tracks that are relevent to non-US markets.

there are also tons of awesome US road courses...they just need to get them done Until they start making money I don't think we'll see many tracks outside of the US.
It needs to be said that one road course is worth more than one oval. And the road courses in iracing are all very enjoyable and fun to drive tracks. I wouldn't really care even if they added 100 more ovals. There are tracks like Mosport and Watkins glen coming, both of which rank very high on my all time favourite sim tracks. For road tracks I'm not worried the least and for me the talks of "oval over road courses in racing" are very much over exxaggarated (how do you spell that anyways). Exxaggquarrggghhh!ratedwtf-ed.

Hopefully the oval racing cars come with enough adjustability so it is possible to race those on road courses too, that's all I'd worry about. Kinda sad that the late model is not road compatible, I hope the trucks are a different story although... (do the trucks even do race on road courses?)
Quote from Hyperactive :
Hopefully the oval racing cars come with enough adjustability so it is possible to race those on road courses too, that's all I'd worry about. Kinda sad that the late model is not road compatible, I hope the trucks are a different story although... (do the trucks even do race on road courses?)

iRacing got me back into ovals, but I have been driving the latemodel more on Infineon than on an oval lately .

Oh, and the trucks have raced on road courses before (Watkins Glen being one) so it's definately road compatible (like all should be).

Honestly, when the truck and Impala SS comes out I hope in the schedule they have Infineon or Watkins Glen.
Quote from Hyperactive :I hope the trucks are a different story although... (do the trucks even do race on road courses?)

They should be able to. The Craftsman Truck Series doesn't do any road course racing, but other series do. Also, the trucks are essentially the same chassis as the Busch (damnit, "Nationwide"...) cars... the chassis itself is neutral and the wedge is handled in the suspension.

The late models in the game are oval late models. Their are road course late models in real life, but the cars are built different than oval ones. The oval late models have wedge built into the actual chassis as well as the suspension, so you can't take all of it out, which is why you can't turn the thing right at all really...

We should be getting Trucks, NWide and Cup versions of the racers, I would imagine trucks and nwide would be c and b, so most should be able to get into them... I can't wait to try them on some road courses that would never host them in real life... Like sebring, and my ultimate fantasy (I don't know why...) the road course at Daytona...
BTW guys the last track that was released was Sebring. I don't get why people cry when something oval comes out. Of all the resent releases and anouncements things seem fair to me.

Announced.
- Lotus
- Daytona Prototype
- Mosport and Road America
- The three NASCAR cars.

Released
- Bristol
- Sebring
- Milwaukee

I know the biggest outcry is for tintop cars. I am sure it's coming.
Initially, I was hoping for the upcoming grassroots popular BMW Spec E30 series, but that probably is too similar to the Solstice. (Plus E30 is NASA I believe, iRacing is SCCA)

I think a GT3-cup car could be a good addition, but secretly I'm hoping for the BTCC Volo 850 wagon.

A Caterham R400 would be terrific too.

BTW, GrassrootsMotorsports Magazine has an article about iRacing in it this month. I've not yet seen it firsthand, but my friend says there is a screen shot where I'm leading the writer
sooo...thus far, how much have you guys spend on Iracing?
The trucks did race on road courses at some point in the past, though they don't now. I distinctly remember watching several truck races @ Wichita, Kansas.
Quote from A.Ulleri :Announced.
...Road America

Road america is already in and drivable. You probably mean road atlanta?
Quote from JJ72 :sooo...thus far, how much have you guys spend on Iracing?

$153 (+ $20 for the 1 month trial). I also got 75 credits when i signed up for my yearly subscription, and I've got 15 credits left. I think I'm gonna buy the craftsman truck and then whatever ovals/roadcourses are required. I'm not sure If I'm going to continue onto the formula mazda or wait for something else like a decent tintop/gt car to be released.
IL try I reacing when it gets cheaper

This is unafordable for a 17 year oldy
Just read the site, and when is this Week 13 event? I'm probably going to renew my subscription when it comes around. I want to do some nice Radical racing.

Although, when my membership ends, if i renew it later will I lose the Radical that I downloaded?
No, any content you purchase now will be available if you cancel and renew in the future.
Quote from JJ72 :sooo...thus far, how much have you guys spend on Iracing?

20$ for the demo.

I might re-subscribe when they have a better road car or race tintop selection. So far the the car selection feels like being rickrolled.
Interesting to see the pit stops and flags implemented

Quote :A new build of the iRacing.com simulation software is planned for release later this month, and we're working towards including two of the most frequently requested features for competition: pit stops and yellow flags on ovals. As always, updating your software is only a matter of a couple mouse clicks, but it will be a large download, so make sure to watch for the "Updates Required" alert on the members' site home page and allow yourself some time to complete the download before attempting to join a session.

Dave and the development team are also hard at work on other features that we hope to include in this new build, but we don't yet know for sure which ones will be ready in time. When we do, we'll let you know.

There is one small side effect to the implementation of pit stops: a slight delay in the roll out of the Chevy Silverado race truck. Although the truck was ready for its scheduled introduction Oct. 15, coding conflicts require that we wait to release the truck with the new build. But we believe the extra two week's wait will be well worth it.

Why only for ovals?
they'll stagger it. It's needed more on ovals than road right now!
Don't know if you guys have seen it or not but you might want to check the iRacing Member home page. iRacing World Cup and iRacing World if you can't see it.
Quote from PMD9409 :Don't know if you guys have seen it or not but you might want to check the iRacing Member home page.

The Chevy truck is delayed

(hidden text removed)
[the site looks nice although I can't find much use for it]
{the world cup is nice and all but doesn't do anything for me personally}
Quote from Hyperactive :The Chevy truck is delayed

Well, 2 weeks, but that wasn't what I was getting at.

(hidden text removed)
Did you see another track releasing also? Just wondering since you didn't say anything, Pheonix FTW!
Whats with everyone using hidden text? Is this the new fashion these days

Anyway I want to report that a Canadian by the name of Shooter has broken into my Garage and stolen my skippy...cry cry! Anyone knowing his wherabouts please call 999
I know that guy..
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG